AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-08-27, 23:48   Link #1481
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Though if this isn't Earth the point is moot, since technological progress doesn't necessarily need to follow a precise path with preset checkpoints.

Using the same logic you should conclude that steampunk settings are in a future after the loss of digital technology, which in most cases isn't true.

BTW where did you get the genetic bit?
Just using context clues, Eren's dad syringing the hell outta the boy, the Titans abilities to regenerate (yet within different classes and constructs based on that)...including humans being able to "control" them in a physiological almost Evangelion style body-link...

All this points to some kind of genetic science at play with these Titans...

As for the other point this isn't a steampunk genre where this dynamic is commonly understood...This is a far more mysterious, almost Victorian-style setting with a mixture of so many cultural elements that (unlike steampunk's intended goal) is more open to interpretation and my interpretation is that Attack on Titans exists in a future world setting...

Additionally, unless Asians exist on Neptune (or perhaps Misaka's mom was sent there) im not ready to leap to pseudo Earth theories yet, but any scenario like that would still point to a future world setting where this society was either moved or imprisoned or sent from a "normal earth" setting for this snowglobe experiment...
Old 2013-08-28, 01:17   Link #1482
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Just using context clues, Eren's dad syringing the hell outta the boy, the Titans abilities to regenerate (yet within different classes and constructs based on that)...including humans being able to "control" them in a physiological almost Evangelion style body-link...

All this points to some kind of genetic science at play with these Titans...
Why not nanomachines? Or a virus?

The abilities of the titans cannot be explained with genetics anyway.

I think it's almost certain that the nature of titans isn't biological. Their bodies wouldn't evaporate if that was the case (nor appear from thin air), and they lack the basic qualities of life, such as reproduction, aging and feeding (their eating behavior is just a mockery).

Quote:
Additionally, unless Asians exist on Neptune (or perhaps Misaka's mom was sent there) im not ready to leap to pseudo Earth theories yet, but any scenario like that would still point to a future world setting where this society was either moved or imprisoned or sent from a "normal earth" setting for this snowglobe experiment...
The word "Asian" was never used. They said "oriental", and I could name a dozen of other stories set in alternative worlds were the "asian looking people" just happen to be in the east like on Earth, for example Full Metal Alchemist.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-08-28 at 01:29.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 04:45   Link #1483
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Attack on Titan Spinoff Manga to Run in Aria Shōjo Magazine

So this the third spin-off of AOT after AOT Chūgakkō and Attack on Titan: Before the Fall
Old 2013-08-28, 09:57   Link #1484
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Yeah, this news is making me feel rather poorly in the stomach region. A shojo magazine that publishes BL and other fluff serializing a spinoff from a gritty shonen series.
The preview is already tacky.

Why, just why? :/
Old 2013-08-28, 21:41   Link #1485
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Why not nanomachines? Or a virus?
The word "Asian" was never used. They said "oriental", and I could name a dozen of other stories set in alternative worlds were the "asian looking people" just happen to be in the east like on Earth, for example Full Metal Alchemist.
Whether or not it's alternative is not the issue here...I'm saying regardless of that, this is a future world, a world beyond our comprehension base on dystopian principles...If it's a alternate world than it's one that has been reset after a post-apocalyptic event...That's what I've gleamed from the context clues so far...I don't know maybe you are a manga reader having a go at me or something, but this is what I believe so far...And this argument was in rebuttal to the conjecture about this being a world possibly set in a medieval time which I refute...

Quote:
they (the Titans) lack the basic qualities of life, such as reproduction, aging and feeding
And I believe they do that based of some sort of biological/genetical/physiological manipulation...This is not complex (at least as a theory)...

A young boy who is shot with a syringe by the doctor/scientist who is thought to understand the key behind the Titans is able to create/become this beast himself after being eaten by one while in his stomach fluid ...

Me thinks I'll stick with my reasoning for now...
Old 2013-08-29, 14:39   Link #1486
JShaggy
I like CRABS!!

Send a message via AIM to JShaggy Send a message via Yahoo to JShaggy
I found this MMD to be funny, but you have to wonder who was being chased first.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

JShaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 00:38   Link #1487
kitsunisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
I wouldn't say it all looks horrible. Definately out of model.
http://i.imgur.com/44PfLGI.jpg?1
Bishounen Eren
Wow, how much of the show did they redraw for the bluray?
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 05:15   Link #1488
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ They mostly fixed the inconsistencies with the art (mainly the character design), removed some reused images, removed some stills. They also blurred a few backgrounds for perceptive purpose, and fixed the lighting/composite on some scenes.
Old 2013-09-07, 21:49   Link #1489
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Levi...dang! Words can't even describe his awesomeness.

Levi and Mikasa would make a freaking awesome fighting duo! They'd be almost invincible.

Sorry Erin, even though you're the supposed main hero, you'll just have to step aside for Levi and Mikasa...at least in my book.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 23:33   Link #1490
p-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Levi...dang! Words can't even describe his awesomeness.

Levi and Mikasa would make a freaking awesome fighting duo! They'd be almost invincible.

Sorry Erin, even though you're the supposed main hero, you'll just have to step aside for Levi and Mikasa...at least in my book.
If any, the latest episode shows that Levi and Mikasa won't be an invincible duo, because Mikasa is weighing Levi down. Maybe 5 more years, and after plenty of team practice, we can see them wrecking things together as a team, rather than Mikasa being the load.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 00:19   Link #1491
ArrowSmith

Was gutted when they had to throw Petra's body to the Titans. Cruel, cruel show.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 00:42   Link #1492
kitsunisan

Given the circumstances, it's exactly what Petra would have asked him to do.
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 00:44   Link #1493
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunisan View Post
Given the circumstances, it's exactly what Petra would have asked him to do.
I'm against the notion of wondering what the dead would want. It's nonsensical.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 09:33   Link #1494
peskylemur25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
I'm against the notion of wondering what the dead would want. It's nonsensical.
Well she loved him so maybe she would want him to live and make it home safe. But yeah dead is dead it not likely they care.
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 10:59   Link #1495
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Whether or not it's alternative is not the issue here...I'm saying regardless of that, this is a future world, a world beyond our comprehension base on dystopian principles...If it's a alternate world than it's one that has been reset after a post-apocalyptic event...That's what I've gleamed from the context clues so far...I don't know maybe you are a manga reader having a go at me or something, but this is what I believe so far...And this argument was in rebuttal to the conjecture about this being a world possibly set in a medieval time which I refute...
I am a manga reader in fact, but I don't quite know anything more than you do on this particular issue. Besides the disparity between manga and anime have become pretty thin by now.

My point however is not to refute your theory but that your theory making was too narrow. For example concluding that it has to be genetic manipulation excludes many other possibilities which now you agree cannot be denied.

Could this be earth? Yes perhaps in a very remote future, but is it necessarily so? No because it could still be another planet completely that still lost a lot of technology after the titan apocalypse.

And yes it could be that these people once lived in futuristic cities, perhaps, but it is necessary? No, because for all that we know the titans could have been created by aliens which provided the futuristic technology involved.

My qualms over the post futuristic theory can be summarized in the following issue:

How can such a vast area without any traces of advanced technology in it exist? We still find ruins dating thousand years ago, and they were made of stone and marble at best. Modern technology involves plastic, metals concrete which have an even higher durability over time. Some of them are massive like suspended bridges, railways, hundred story high towers, highways and so on. A civilized nation would have all of those, and not even a thousand year would erase them completely.

For example the pyramids of Giza and the great wall of China never really vanished from the eye of the people even without them tending them. A civilized and highly developed nation would create even greater and massive stuff and in greater number.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 02:22   Link #1497
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Attack On Titan perfumes to be sold. (Eren, Mikasa and Levi)
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 10:00   Link #1498
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

No Sasha perfume?
Old 2013-09-13, 10:57   Link #1499
desrtsku
Nympholept

No Jean (Levi Strauss ... I wanted to make that joke)? No Armin?
Old 2013-09-13, 12:03   Link #1500
lateraldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Really glad they've fixed Lipstick Mikasa, too.

Nooo! I loved that lipstick! I mean I get humans are low on resources and Mikasa must have had to steal it from a lord somewhere to keep looking pretty for Eren but I loved it! In fact I wish she stole enough to share with Christa and Petra as well all through out the anime, whyyyyyy!
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence