AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 60 52.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 26.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.87%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-09, 11:29   Link #181
G1Ace

Japanese speaking people
I got one question
They translate it on the fansubs as V type virus
Is V as in the letter V as in Vajra? Cause the Japanese romanized vajra as Bajura
or as in the roman numeral V which means 5?
Old 2008-08-09, 11:31   Link #182
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

In Japanese, it is known as the V type infection, which in Engrish is V-TIPE infection. Heheh.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:35   Link #183
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

I liked how Sheryl's version of "Aimo" got followed by "Do you remember love?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsody243 View Post
OK hears my theory on this whole V-Type infection, maybe the V in the name stands for Vajra and that this certain type of infection allows a person to communicate with the Vajra.
Ranka is also infected with this virus as shown in episode 14 "cant provide pic but its shown at 18:16" and is there for able to interact with the Vajra. Now Grace and her ilk thought that Ranka had died 11 years ago, and in order to continue their research they needed to find a substitute, in comes Sheryl but maybe Sheryl's body is rejecting the virus and thus killing her, or the virus they made was inferior to the one thats in Ranka.

The reasons as to why their virus may be inferior is that Ranka's mother who was involved in its creation "correct me if I'm wrong" is dead and without her they aren't able to make a usable product and instead have an inferior copy that kills its host.

Feel free to dissect my theory
No. just No...

V does stand for Vajra though.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:36   Link #184
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Investigation
Ranshe = Sheryl's Mom

Supporting Evidence
- They have the same hair style. ( )
Well, there's also the fact that the completely improbable name Ranshe is also part of RANka and SHEryl's name. Then again, MinMEI's name is also part of Ranshe Mei. That must mean Ranka, Sheryl and Minmei are really the triplicate avatar of the goddess Rooy Waka.

Also, the earrings that Sheryl thinks is a keepsake of her mother. Though we still don't know if she had them from before, or if Grace passed them on to her claiming to be a friend of her late mother to win her trust.

As for her hair, she could simply be styling it according to what she thinks her late mother looks like (if all her info is from Grace).

So, not _entirely_ baseless speculation, but still a long shot.

Last edited by glyph; 2008-08-09 at 11:46.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:38   Link #185
Tak

Never mind that Ranshee does not share the last name of Nome, nor is she a pacific islander. Ranshee is clearly Chinese, or at least her name is.

The best guess we have here is that Sheryl was probably adopted by Mao (or just named after her), and given the last name of Nome. Other than that, she bears no relations whatsoever to Ranshee.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:40   Link #186
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I am more and more sure of that blonde guy is Ranka's brother, since it is know he is close to her. But if you look at a family relationships, being a father would be really.... odd, so only brother is left. Sheryl apparently got pwned pretty hard this episode.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:41   Link #187
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsilya~ View Post
being a father would be really.... odd, so only brother is left.
Because the father is Jeffrey Wilder. I somehow find myself very convinced of that.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-09, 11:57   Link #188
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Investigation
Ranshe = Sheryl's Mom

Supporting Evidence
- They have the same hair style. ( )

Seriously.
If you want, y'know, seriously participate in a debate of that topic, you maybe should refrain from cheap mockery.

They look very identical. I posted enough comparison shots in the Sheryl thread to show that.

This is a story, told by people, not real life. "Coincidences" like this donīt happen in stories, if they are well told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Ace View Post
Think about it. Why would Ranshe give up her child to live in some slump in Galaxy? What mother could do that to her child? Wouldn't someone else like Ozma not remember if he has a picture of Ranka her family? How could that even happen? Why would Brera not remember he had an older sister?
Because Ranshe was dead by the point Sheryl ended up in an alley? Thereīs a six year difference between the picture of Ranshe, Mao and Grace and the picture of Sheryl. By that time, the Vajra already had destroyed the 117th research fleet.

As for Brera, he doesnīt even remember that Ranka is his sister, if you look back at episode 13, when he was flying down to the Vajra queen.

To be honest, I donīt see how Sheryl can be the daughter of Ranshe, neither, because we know that Ranshes family was Ranka, Brera, her husband and herself.

But Iīm really pickled by the obvious connection that Sheryl looks like Ranshe and has the same surname as Mao Nome. As I said, this is a written show, coincidences like that shouldnīt happen, unless they mean something.
Old 2008-08-09, 12:01   Link #189
Tak

Maggy, look, Ranshe has a Chinese name, Sheryl... does not. Sheryl bears the name Nome because she was probably adopted by the ol' doctor herself, nor is she a clone of Ranshe, who clearly had a family that did not include Sheryl.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-09, 12:06   Link #190
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Maggy, look, Ranshe has a Chinese name, Sheryl... does not. Sheryl bears the name Nome because she was probably adopted by the ol' doctor herself, nor is she a clone of Ranshe, who clearly had a family that did not include Sheryl.

- Tak
You are assuming Sheryl "Nome" is her real name.
Ranka "Lee" doesn't have Ranshe's surname either.
Neither does Brera "Starne" (if he really is her brother, which is slightly more doubtful now).
Old 2008-08-09, 12:11   Link #191
magnuskn

Quote:

- Tak
Do you have any corrobarating evidence on that? Otherwise, itīs just speculation.

Exactly like my stuff, but I got the pictures and the weird name coincidences ( which didnīt even include Ranshes name having She-ryl and Ran-ka in it).

BTW, since when is "Ranshe" a chinese name? "Mei" I get immediately, but "Ranshe" sounds about as chinese as "Gurke".
Old 2008-08-09, 12:12   Link #192
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
You are assuming Sheryl "Nome" is her real name.
I also mention she was probably adopted or something. Of course her name is not real. She named the kid after Grace picked her up.

Quote:
Ranka "Lee" doesn't have Ranshe's surname either.
Because if Ozma had to register her as a sister, what do you think he has to do?

Quote:
Neither does Brera "Starne" (if he really is her brother, which is slightly more doubtful now).
Brera's case is even more clearer. He was salvaged, given a new identity and name. Even Ozma recognized him.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-09, 12:28   Link #193
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
I call this nice pic Vajra in a testtube.
yeah, I noticed the Vajra in the pic a couple of pages ago. Probably the same one Alto spotted in the lab on Global. Before the most we knew that the research fleet was experimenting on Vajra. This pic does confirm that the v-type virus and Vajra are related somehow.

Quote:
Hmmm? I have yet to see anything that points to Brera not being her brother. Ozma's reaction to Brera recently just seemed to confirm it yet again. I assume Brera Sterne is a false name given to him by Grace & Co.
Old 2008-08-09, 12:50   Link #194
G1Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

Because Ranshe was dead by the point Sheryl ended up in an alley? Thereīs a six year difference between the picture of Ranshe, Mao and Grace and the picture of Sheryl. By that time, the Vajra already had destroyed the 117th research fleet.

As for Brera, he doesnīt even remember that Ranka is his sister, if you look back at episode 13, when he was flying down to the Vajra queen.

To be honest, I donīt see how Sheryl can be the daughter of Ranshe, neither, because we know that Ranshes family was Ranka, Brera, her husband and herself.

But Iīm really pickled by the obvious connection that Sheryl looks like Ranshe and has the same surname as Mao Nome. As I said, this is a written show, coincidences like that shouldnīt happen, unless they mean something.
Episode 13 13:31, we see a chrystal:
the persons featured on this picture are:
Ranshe Mei, her face is not that clear
A small guy that looks allot like brera sterne and the harmonica,
this small girl called Ranka,
some guy who we don't know what his name is but he is Ranka's father.
A dog
And no sheryl

Episode 13 14:04 - 14:16
we see Ranka lieing on a bed, asking her mother if this song is from Earth. We see harmonica guy/Brera and Ranshe. Again, no Sheryl.

Episode 18, 11:16: we see Ozma hold up a picture with:
Ranshe Mei,
A small guy that looks allot like brera sterne and the harmonica,
this girl called Ranka,
some guy who we don't know what his name is but he is Ranka's father.
Ozma's finger (probably covering up the dog)
And no sheryl

These pictures and memories were from before the vajra attack. So no way that she could have been taken to galaxy as a survivor.

Besides,
1. Age. Sheryl is 1 year older then Ranka. How old is Brera? 17? Next crazy theory would be that Sheryl is Brera's twin. What are the odds of another Kira Cagalli happening again with the same male voice actor?
2. Ozma knew Mao, knew Ranshe, took in her little girl. He would have known if Sheryl was part of the family, he would have known they had another older girl, and he would certainly have known how she looks like.
Old 2008-08-09, 12:59   Link #195
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Ace View Post
2. Ozma knew Mao, knew Ranshe, took in her little girl. He would have known if Sheryl was part of the family, he would have known they had another older girl, and he would certainly have known how she looks like.
Actually, this last part is the only one which so far disproves anything. I already said I donīt think that Sheryl was in Ranshes family, seeing how she isnīt in all the flashbacks.

OTOH, Ozma didnīt recognize Brera until he saw the harmonica, so who knows whom and what he remembers from the 117th himself.

Itīs of course possible that Grace had some plastic surgery done on Sheryl, to make her look like Ranshe Mei. Though Sheryl didnīt look too different ( in the context of her circunstances back then, of course ) in the shots we see of her as a street urchin.
Old 2008-08-09, 13:19   Link #196
G1Ace

Quote:
Actually, this last part is the only one which so far disproves anything. I already said I donīt think that Sheryl was in Ranshes family, seeing how she isnīt in all the flashbacks.

OTOH, Ozma didnīt recognize Brera until he saw the harmonica, so who knows whom and what he remembers from the 117th himself.

Itīs of course possible that Grace had some plastic surgery done on Sheryl, to make her look like Ranshe Mei. Though Sheryl didnīt look too different ( in the context of her circunstances back then, of course ) in the shots we see of her as a street urchin.
taking ranshe's looks and mao's last name to make the idol sheryl
Old 2008-08-09, 13:37   Link #197
Key Board
Carbon

Sheryl says her earrings are a keepsake from her mother

I don't think she is referring to Grace, so perhaps Sheryl was adopted by Mao Nome/Noam
Old 2008-08-09, 13:44   Link #198
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Could she be Mao Nome's granddaughter? (and Ranshe perhaps Nome's married daughter..thus Ranka and Sheryl would be cousins?)

Or the more likely case, Grace isn't telling us (or Sheryl) everything.
Old 2008-08-09, 13:54   Link #199
Tak

Quote:
Do you have any corrobarating evidence on that? Otherwise, itīs just speculation.
Cmon, you speculated Sheryl being somehow related to Ranshe by the basis of the latter's name. I am at least providing some sort of a more concrete hypothesis.

Quote:

BTW, since when is "Ranshe" a chinese name? "Mei" I get immediately, but "Ranshe" sounds about as chinese as "Gurke".
Because her name is written as 蘭雪, which is as Chinese as it could get in a Japanese anime, and pronounced using Japanese phonics, which does not usually correspond to their Chinese counterparts.

Speaking of which, the earrings were provided by Grace, who probably installed new memories to Sheryl. Otherwise, I doubt she already had those earrings as her flashbacks shown her absent with them. Or if they are indeed from Sheryl's mom, her mom wouldn't be Grace, and definitely not Ranshe. I don't think it'd be difficult to think of her as an adoptive child of Mao, who bestowed her a last name.

I do not understand why people would relate Ranshe to Sheryl. It does not work at all. I mean, obviously people are making a lot less connections between Elmo and a certain NUNS Supreme Commander.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-09, 14:04   Link #200
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
I do not understand why people would relate Ranshe to Sheryl. It does not work at all. I mean, obviously people are making a lot less connections between Elmo and a certain NUNS Supreme Commander.
I think two reasons:

1. People want Sheryl to be more "special" then she already is.

2. This series has a pretty good conspiracy plot line, so people are looking for angles everywhere. Even if it doesn't exist except in their imaginations.
Closed Thread