AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-25, 03:57   Link #41
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Nina and Johan are around 20 so they are quiet young, they study at University (talking about Monster). Later story starts to concentrate more on them than on Dr. Tenma. I am not big fan of Tenma either.

You sure are picky... so basicly you just want a school setting anime? Because if to be truthful, most of anime characters act far more mature than their age allows them to.

Ok, let's try to recommend shows that I didn't like much, maybe they'll be good for your taste:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tal and etc. It has school setting environment with powers and action. However, actual story starts only at like episode 20, most of the stuff before could be called useless fillers which can be ignored. But it is better to watch first like 10 episodes to get to know characters such as Lambo, I-Pin, Hibari, Hayato and Bianci as well as Yamamoto and Ryuhei together with Kyouko and Haru. Just so you would know who the hell they are.

Shugo Chara - magical girl setting series with school environment

First Squad: The Moment of Truth - takes action in Russia during 2nd world war if I don't mistake. It is just one episode long and main character is young.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - a school romance comedy.

Pandora Hearts

Romeo x Juliet - I don't think this needs explanation, the only thing you need to know is that anime has interrupted this story differently than the original play

Suzuka - school romance and drama

Some of the shows were actually good in my opinion but I don't consider them something out standing. But maybe some of them will catch your attention.
Katekyo Hitman Reborn had utterly stupid setting and seemed waste of my time. This was couple years ago though and I only watched few episodes from the start. Maybe I'll try it again .. maybe not. I still have over 300 episodes of Bleach to watch <.<.

I'm not interested in literature, or war, so you can rule out few from that list. I'll check out the others, and perhaps continue watching Pandora Hearts (dropped this before..).

As for Shugo Chara, I don't even know what to say. It's shojo .. with lots of pink .. it's so girly .. makes me shiver. I don't really like mahou shojo genre, the only reason I like Nanoha is because it's so different from others and it's '' cool '' rather than '' girly ''.

By the way, you are wrong. I am not looking for school setting animes. It's true that I enjoy those too, but did Scrapped Princess take place in school? No. Did it have young main character? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Kuroshitsuji, perhaps? Nice gothic art, decent story and very interesting characters. Although it does have a reputation of being yaoi bait... I really didn't see it until I heard the fangirls scream (but hey... people pair up all sorts of guys together for no good reason nowadays...)

I see you liked DRRR!!, why not try Baccano!, based on the light novel by the same author? I think I liked the latter better, but the story's even more convoluted than DRRR. Loved how everything tied together at the end.

Darker than Black? It's more Seinen than Shounen, but it's one of my favourite shows. Nice action, soundtrack and epic protagonist. It might not suit your tastes though, some people find the plot too disconnected and the ending unsatisfying, I think.

I've only seen one episode of it so far, but Dennou Coil's very highly rated and seems like great care was taken in its development. Just throwing it out there for you in case you want to check it out too
Kuroshitsuji is shonen-ai to say the least, it should be obvious to anyone. If you're female maybe you don't realise it <.<. I have tried it and needless to say, dropped. I just don't bother adding always something I've dropped to my MAL.

Baccano is highly rated but I found it boring. At the start anyway, when there's the kid and the old dude reading something if I recall correctly. It's just so SLOOOWWWW that I got bored.

Darker than Black .. If I recall correctly, that anime just throws you into a middle of a world and you have no idea what's happening. That's the impression I got anyway and because I had no idea what the anime was about, I didn't watch further than the first episode.

I've seen Dennou Coil and I liked it .. Yet another entry that was missing from my MAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I might have missed them on your MAL list.

(1) Sci-fi anime, but with no mecha.

Dennou Coil

Dennou Coil was praised by many in the anime industry and has gone on to win a few awards since it aired in 2007. It is widely seen as the "spiritual successor" to Serial Experiments Lain from the 1990s.

Time of Eve (six-part ONA, later edited into feature-length movie)

If Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics were incorporated into an anime series, you'd get Time of Eve.

(2) Historical drama
House of Five Leaves

(3) Literary adaptation
Aoi Bungaku (Blue Literature)

As described, a series of six stories based on modern literature classics in Japan. A great of artistic licence was taken with every story, sometimes giving a fresh and innovative take on familiar tales, and on other occasions working not as effectively. All in all, though, an interesting project targeted at mature audiences.

(4) And, if you're in a whimsical mood, and are up for experimental art style, try:
Windy Tales

I was meaning to watch Time of Eve so I guess I will now, though it seems it's only 6x15 minutes .. too short D:.

House of Five Leaves .. I tried watching this when it aired, but I found it boring. The art style didn't bother me though .. I only watched the first episode, so does this actually pick up at some point and we get to the action part? (If there is such in the first place..)

Not sure about Aoi Bungaku either since I said I'm not really into literature. But might check it out, as well as Windy Tales, if I run out of stuff to watch.

Keep the suggestions coming
-----------------------------------

Now .. speaking of mecha. Someone here suggested Kurau Phantom Memory, and said that one episode has mecha. Was he perhaps talking about the first episode? Specifically what I hate about mecha is when it's two robots going at it like in Gundam or something. If it was human vs. robot though, I could tolerate it, since I can treat it just as yet another enemy for the protagonist to kill. I mean I've watched Samurai 7 and I liked it .. In that most of their enemies were robots controlled by humans if I'm not mistaken .. But they took them down, with swords .. lol.

Keeping that in mind, there may be something you might still suggest for me?
Old 2011-05-25, 07:16   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I was meaning to watch Time of Eve so I guess I will now, though it seems it's only 6x15 minutes .. too short.
Watch the feature-movie version then. Some scenes were added to flesh out the story. I do slightly prefer the original six-part series though.
Quote:
House of Five Leaves .. I tried watching this when it aired, but I found it boring. The art style didn't bother me though .. I only watched the first episode, so does this actually pick up at some point and we get to the action part? (If there is such in the first place..)
It's a character-driven drama. The strength of the show lies in its nuances so, if that's not your cup of tea, then it probably isn't the series for you.

============

(1)
Since you enjoyed Seirei no Moribito, check out Kemono no Souja Erin (The Beast Player Erin)
Quote:
Erin is the 10-year-old daughter of Soyon, a vet who takes care of the Grand Duke's greatest military asset, the touda, giant lizard mounts. However, Soyon is a member of an exiled tribe, and was therefore treated like an outcast in the village, along with her daughter. Still a child, Erin does not notice the prejudice, but a series of events would eventually put her face-to-face with harsh realities.
The 50-part series progresses at a steady pace, following Erin's story as she grows up into a woman fated to play a historic role. It's fair to say, though, that if you're not hooked the end of Ep7, then this is not the show for you.

(2)
If you're looking for a more mainstream, action-driven show, you might want to take a look at Bounen no Xamdou (Xam'd: Lost Memories)
Quote:
Sentan Island exists in a state of dreamlike tranquility, a small island cut off from the war between the Northern Government and the Southern Continent Free Zone. One day the island's tranquility is shattered and Akiyuki, along with his best friends Haru and Furuichi, barely escaped from an explosion in a school bus. The blast produces a mysterious light that enters Akiyuki's arm, transforming into a creature called Xam'd.
No, despite appearances, this is not a mecha-based show like Gundam. Many parts of the story and several character designs draw heavily from Studio Ghibli's Nausicaa. It wasn't executed very effectively but, still, this Bones ONA had its fans during its airing in 2008.

(3)
Among the titles that others here have suggested, I'd strongly second Claymore and Black Lagoon for action; Planetes for sci-fi, political drama; and Natsume Yuujinchou for "slice of life" (I loathe this misleading, otaku-invented term).

(4)
One last suggestion, purely for its cute comedy value: Moyashimon.
Quote:
Sawaki Tadayasu, the son of a yeast-making family out in the boondocks, is now a freshmen at a Tokyo agriculture university. He has a unique ability to see microbes with his naked eyes. Together with his childhood friend, Kei, he begins a new and carefree life as a student.
Old 2011-05-25, 08:57   Link #43
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

TinyRedLeaf has some excellent suggestions, and I'll add three more that aren't in your list. One has already been mentioned, Nodame Cantabile; the others are Moyashimon (the anime not the live-action) and Saiunkoku Monogatari.

Both Nodame and Moyashimon have college settings, while Saiunkoku is a romantic drama set in a fictitious Asian empire similar to T'ang China (600-900 CE). All these shows have main characters in their late-teens or early twenties, which seems like an important criterion for you.

Edit: Somehow I missed a bit of the discussion above. On Baccano, the first episode is definitely not representative of the rest of the series. I stopped watching after episode one my first time through because i found the large cast daunting and the style of presentation too slow. Give it a couple more episodes before deciding whether to follow it or not.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:29   Link #44
kitten320

Lol you dropped Baccano after one episode? You sure have no patience what so ever...

Yes 1st episode sucks, actual story starts only in episode 2, the reading guy does not appear again until last episode and even then only for few seconds.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:33   Link #45
Dist

I don't usually judge anime by it's first episode. However, if anime is SO boring that watching first episode literally made me almost fall asleep, then there's something wrong with the anime alright. Even if some animes take their time to build up the story and such, there should be something always about the first episode that draws you in and makes you continue to watch it. Even Lucky Star's first episode did not have me fall asleep, even though it was probably the most pointless anime episode I've ever seen.

But, since you've suggested it over and over again, then I suppose I'll have to give it another go at one point.

Btw, SeijiSensei. Thanks for the suggestions, as well as TinyRedLeaf. I already commented on Claymore but I'll check out the others. I've seen Xam'd though, and I loved it. (Yet another entry missing goddamnit.). I also checked Moyashimon few months back and it was okay, if for nothing else, the voice actor of that one dude reminded me of Sunohara from Clannad. I should pick it up again and finish it this time. I didn't really drop it, rather just forgot about it.

Btw when you suggest, I'd rather have you link me to Anidb if you're going to link to something. Reading the description is important, and AS torrents do not have description.

I will watch these daily but I still need more suggestions or they'll never last me through the summer. Surely there must be more '' lesser known '' titles D:. Rep will be given to those who have suggested something when I get around to it.

Edit2 : I guess no need to check out Katekyo again. What's with the people claiming this is best series they've ever seen yet there are no seeds in any torrents at all, and there are no batches available.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-05-25 at 12:30. Reason: removed a couple of inconvenient lines. read the rules about licensed series.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:57   Link #46
kitten320

If you don't like Baccano after episode 3, then you can drop it.

Katekyo as the best series ever? There really are people who claim that? 0_o
Even though I still keep watching them , they are not really good. So if they didn't pick your interest at all, don't bother. Characters are quiet 2 dimensional there and the only work females do is baby sitting and cooking...
Old 2011-05-25, 12:07   Link #47
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Btw when you suggest, I'd rather have you link me to Anidb if you're going to link to something.
All the entries on the AS series pages link to ANN and usually to AniDB as well. I'm not going to develop custom links for you or anyone else. I have all these stored in my browser. Nor will I link to BakaBT for licensed series since that directly violates the Forum Rules and my sense of ethics. (You have read the Forum Rules, right?) I don't even like to link to them for hard-to-find unlicensed series like the excellent Hataraki Man.

One reason I haven't posted before in this thread was, to be honest, your attitude toward other posters. Just because it's you asking the question doesn't give you the right to bad-mouth others here just because they don't hew to your expectations. In some cases the expectations weren't even expressed. Monster and House of Five Leaves are both excellent series; how were we to know that you didn't want to watch a show with mature characters?
Old 2011-05-25, 12:29   Link #48
Dist

^It would be impossible to link to BakaBT for licensed series as they don't even list licensed series. About your last line .. How was I to know you store the links on the browser and don't '' custom develop '' them for me or for other suggestion thread? Indeed, I wouldn't be able to know that. I thought you did, which is why I suggested to link to Anidb instead.

As for the other part of the message .. I honestly don't know what you are talking about. My posts mainly in this thread have consisted of commenting on the series that were suggested and I did this exactly because I wanted you people to get some insight on as to what kind of stuff I like which could help you to improve your suggestions for more anime series.

And the problem with Monster, House of Five Leaves or some others is not that whether the characters are mature or not .. Teens can be mature too to some extent. Like I said before, if I don't have anything or anyone to relate to in the series, if the cast consists of only adults, then I probably won't find it interesting. And I know that this wasn't in the OP, but I rather realized some of the things I don't want to see or want to see as the suggestions kept coming, so I expressed those things in my posts where I commented on what was suggested.

Last edited by Dist; 2011-05-25 at 12:59.
Old 2011-05-25, 12:34   Link #49
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Reminder:

Please do not cross the thin line about downloads of licensed series. A couple of inappropriate lines have been removed from one of the posts above.

Discuss and suggest series, talk about their download if they're listed here. Otherwise please avoid entirely. Thanks.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:39   Link #50
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

To try suggesting a few others, I didn't mention previously:
Astarotte no Omocha! - Please Please Please Please Please do not take the premise/summary to be an accurate measure of the show[it really isn't at all] and give the show a chance for 3 or 4 episodes ; it's really in my opinion the most underrated show this season. It's less ecchi than even Hidan no Aria generally is and it's got really great art style[again my opinion], and is so far a cute heartwarming family drama and rarely comedy series. And has some rather interesting twists that stop it from being your standard kugimiya tsundere romance series . Also the Main males should be fine for you to relate to once too . [Curse the premise of it making me write so much for people to give it a chance ].

Sora no Woto - Depending on your take on the series it's either enjoyable to watch, but it could be one of the series to bore you. Though a number of people[including me] considered to be good, so I am mentioning, despite the claims of it being "K-On in the miltary" or something it's really it's unique show and story.

Canaan - a decent gun girl series with some yuri-subtext especially towards the end and amazing animation, though given how it starts you might have the same feel towards it as you did with darker than black, so not sure if you'll like it.

Kobato. - a cute funny and overall heartwarming series with some drama and romance at times, plus Kana Hanazawa is the lead girl in a character who's personality to fit her voice perfectly . And it had quite a satisfying ending.

Given you mentions of shounen and lack of response before I'll also bring up Needless to give a chance too.
MAL
Old 2011-05-26, 13:01   Link #51
SaltyxNomzxNomz

Tsk Tsk Tsk... How could you of missed Paradise Kiss ;D

Paradise Kiss - This is a total MUST WATCH, a very romantic anime about a girl who is just tired of living her boring life forced upon by her mother, this revolves around her becoming a model for paradise kiss a fashion group [Good looking male lead and animation]. I even heard it's becoming a Live-Action Film on June 6th!!!

The Enchained Spiritual Beast Ga-Rei - I don't know if someone already suggested this anime but if they have I will second it ;D a nice mix of action, comedy, and romance I saw some of those in your list. [It has a prequel Ga-Rei: Zero]
Old 2011-05-26, 16:13   Link #52
kitten320

Just finished watching it myself, you can give a try to Aoi Bungaku series, it is a collection of small stories. Some stories are not that great but some are quiet decent. I mostly started to like series from 3rd story... din't like the first one much myself though... but the main character keeps reminding of Light/Kira in looks and the way he maniacly laughs.

So if the story does not interest you at all, move to another one. There are like 6 of them, some longer than others. Two of them are just one shots.
Old 2011-05-26, 17:43   Link #53
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I always recommend Guin Saga. Its a great series. Too bad they never was a sequel.
Old 2011-05-27, 13:02   Link #54
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Adding KIBA, knew I was forgetting something! First episode (and the first one alone) will be tedious, be prepared~
Old 2011-05-27, 13:30   Link #55
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
To try suggesting a few others, I didn't mention previously:
Astarotte no Omocha! - Please Please Please Please Please do not take the premise/summary to be an accurate measure of the show[it really isn't at all] and give the show a chance for 3 or 4 episodes ; it's really in my opinion the most underrated show this season. It's less ecchi than even Hidan no Aria generally is and it's got really great art style[again my opinion], and is so far a cute heartwarming family drama and rarely comedy series. And has some rather interesting twists that stop it from being your standard kugimiya tsundere romance series . Also the Main males should be fine for you to relate to once too . [Curse the premise of it making me write so much for people to give it a chance ].

Sora no Woto - Depending on your take on the series it's either enjoyable to watch, but it could be one of the series to bore you. Though a number of people[including me] considered to be good, so I am mentioning, despite the claims of it being "K-On in the miltary" or something it's really it's unique show and story.

Canaan - a decent gun girl series with some yuri-subtext especially towards the end and amazing animation, though given how it starts you might have the same feel towards it as you did with darker than black, so not sure if you'll like it.

Kobato. - a cute funny and overall heartwarming series with some drama and romance at times, plus Kana Hanazawa is the lead girl in a character who's personality to fit her voice perfectly . And it had quite a satisfying ending.

Given you mentions of shounen and lack of response before I'll also bring up Needless to give a chance too.
Thanks. I tried the first one already earlier and I wasn't too interested. Seemed kinda a cliche at some parts, plus frankly I'm getting very tired of KugiRie and the identical roles she plays.

As for the others, I've tried them all in the past and not exactly dropped, just '' forgotten '' about them. But in order for that to happen they would have to be boring ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyxNomzxNomz View Post
Tsk Tsk Tsk... How could you of missed Paradise Kiss ;D

Paradise Kiss - This is a total MUST WATCH, a very romantic anime about a girl who is just tired of living her boring life forced upon by her mother, this revolves around her becoming a model for paradise kiss a fashion group [Good looking male lead and animation]. I even heard it's becoming a Live-Action Film on June 6th!!!

The Enchained Spiritual Beast Ga-Rei - I don't know if someone already suggested this anime but if they have I will second it ;D a nice mix of action, comedy, and romance I saw some of those in your list. [It has a prequel Ga-Rei: Zero]
I've missed it and a lot of other series for the obvious reasons .. It's aimed for girls, and it's josei on top of that. If it at least had romance between teens ..

Gotta check out Ga-rei though. I've avoided that name too but I thought it was something completely different lol .. I have no idea what you mean by prequel though. The only anime of Ga-Rei there is is Ga-Rei Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Adding KIBA, knew I was forgetting something! First episode (and the first one alone) will be tedious, be prepared~
Now this is more like it.. Well, can't say for sure till I download it but it seems pretty good series. Perhaps this could be considered as one of those '' lesser known '' titles since this is the first time I ever hear of this name. More like this please!
Old 2011-05-27, 13:45   Link #56
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'll throw in another vote for Hellsing Ultimate and add Trinity Blood. Hellsing Ultimate starts off very strong, but it's not complete yet - still worth a watch.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:55   Link #57
kitten320

I think he/she accidently meant manga when he/she was talking about Ga-Rei... But I also second that choice, you should give the anime a chance.

Also you can try Sengoku Basara, it does have some random moments but over all it is enjoyable so far for me.
Old 2011-05-27, 17:06   Link #58
Dist

^Because it's clearly aimed at females, you being one yourself. Yeah, no thanks to Sengoku Basara. I've tried it, and I was not impressed with all that yelling and stuff. You girls may seem it as '' cool '' but I just found it annoying.

As for Ga-Rei .. The thread clearly says anime, not manga >.<. I might create manga thread later though but as it is, I can't afford to buy much. I can't stand reading manga on screen so it would have to be english translated so I could buy it.
Old 2011-05-27, 17:45   Link #59
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
^Because it's clearly aimed at females, you being one yourself. Yeah, no thanks to Sengoku Basara. I've tried it, and I was not impressed with all that yelling and stuff. You girls may seem it as '' cool '' but I just found it annoying.
Hey, no need to generalize us girls like that... I tried watching it but didn't like it much at all either >.<

Well.. anyways... Some of these might not match your tastes but worth a try... And I really do recommend you try more Baccano!, it's one of my favourite shows. It gets good after a couple episodes.

Natsume Yuujin-chou doesn't seem to be on your list? Great relaxing and heartwarming show about a boy who can see spirits.

Dogs: Bullets and Carnage had a decent first episode, but haven't seen the rest of the series... they're OVAs.

Strait Jacket - a bit gory and shallow but highly enjoyable 6-episode supernatural OVA where the main character is some professional wizard or something that operates in a world where magic is commonplace.

Karas - like Strait Jacket, it's a short and visually awesome OVA, but a rather thin plot.

Gungrave - excellent supernatural/action/drama show about revenge.

Seconding Hellsing Ultimate.
Old 2011-05-27, 17:58   Link #60
kitten320

I'm not really a fanservice hunter and huge fan of girly shows, so givng such categorazation for all females is quiet offensive I would say. Same as me saying that all guys are after XXX...XXX huge boobs on half a screen...

Besides I duno how exactly almost a half naked running girl is considered a fan service for females -_-
As far as I know you guys always want to see man action.

This series are full of strong guys who are not running around half naked and series also have several females with revealing outfits, so I really can't call it a girly show and that's why it was recommended.

Now Hakuouki would be more meant for female audience and that's why it was never recommended by me.

P.S. Shugo Chara is way too pinky for me too, I'm already stretching the watch for like 3 months.