AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 20:54   Link #101
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Will Moka ever get to fight as an equal again? Or should I drop this manga forever after I ragequitted at the you-know-what incident?

Or is it that I should have known better and kept my feminist side gagged up making sandwiches in the backroom, this being shounen, Japan, and a sports manga...?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 21:39   Link #102
Johnny
Working the bags...

As equal, I somewhat doubt it. I think she's been giving the role of Mickey, i.e Rocky movie...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:46   Link #103
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so.... Taku's problem is solved in shounen-ways... showing your determination to move father's heart
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 23:29   Link #104
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
so.... Taku's problem is solved in shounen-ways... showing your determination to move father's heart
Ya, if this was Seinen, Taku father would of been a drunk and threw a broken bottle at him.

Looks like the story moving for Taku again, but I like some side action for the heroine and a little more info about what happen to the dark girl (her dads dead, but...).
Old 2012-08-10, 01:11   Link #105
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Will Moka ever get to fight as an equal again? Or should I drop this manga forever after I ragequitted at the you-know-what incident?

Or is it that I should have known better and kept my feminist side gagged up making sandwiches in the backroom, this being shounen, Japan, and a sports manga...?
I've kinda gotten over it, but yeah, Moka's sidelining as a serious athlete still is one of the biggest and most disappointing events I've felt with this manga. Since you brought it up though, I just wondered if you happened to have heard of or begun following Ginga e Kickoff, which began airing back in the Spring season? One of the most unexpected and exciting things for me about that series is that, despite being a shounen sports story, there are not just one but two (rather different) girls playing with the guys on a competitive youth soccer team.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 06:08   Link #106
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Since you brought it up though, I just wondered if you happened to have heard of or begun following Ginga e Kickoff, which began airing back in the Spring season?
...no, I didn't know about it.

Interesting; will check it out some time.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 11:02   Link #107
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Yeah, that's tough, she has a debilitating sports injury. Her life as a boxer is over. It's too bad, cause without that plot twist she could've been a successful female boxer.

That being said, I hope you don't mean "as an equal" as in she should be fighting a grown-up Take. That's just not going to go well in any realm close to reality...
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 08:48   Link #108
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for 68 : turning point:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 10:12   Link #109
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Argh, looks like it's going the route of
Spoiler for sports shonen cliche:

This sudden development honestly felt like it came out of nowhere for no real reason other than to execute that particular storyline. Felt a bit hamfisted, since it pretty much destroys the meaning behind the past few chapters, aside from introducing one rival.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 10:17   Link #110
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Argh, looks like it's going the route of
Spoiler for sports shonen cliche:

This sudden development honestly felt like it came out of nowhere for no real reason other than to execute that particular storyline. Felt a bit hamfisted, since it pretty much destroys the meaning behind the past few chapters, aside from introducing one rival.
Well, I agree and also disagree. It does destroy some of the development from the past chapters, but it does show that he worked hard to gain familial approval. He's a "man" who works hard for his dreams as is respected for it?

Part of me liked the twist though.. "It's life, sh*t happens.. live with it."
Old 2012-08-22, 10:27   Link #111
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, there's good and bad for all these things.

The good being that these kind of subplots are best for developing character drama + coming-of-age story, since it typically forces the 'genius' to work with the 'less talented', among other things. Stuff he's done in MAJOR, especially during the 'Seishu' arc.

Bad point is that it typically slows the story's pace down significantly, as we're thrown into the usual logistics of setting up a new club, supervisors, equipment... and introduction/character development for new characters...

Snd from the looks of it, we've already got at least 2 in the bag. -_-

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 10:44   Link #112
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, so it goes from reviving Star Gym to practicing at Seidoukan to enrolling there...to finally entering a different school altogether. No clue where this manga is going atm.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 10:45   Link #113
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hmm, so it goes from reviving Star Gym to practicing at Seidoukan to enrolling there...to finally entering a different school altogether. No clue where this manga is going atm.
Kind of like life, eh?
Old 2012-08-22, 12:16   Link #114
ShiroiRyu

Great troling ...
And this unluck. ... XD
Old 2012-08-22, 12:37   Link #115
Johnny
Working the bags...

Well I suppose he did switch some things up with the whole create club if he is going that route. Since this time instead of before with Shimizu having a love rival it's Taka this time that has one with Kure...

Plus lol @ the Moka getting fatter part...
Old 2012-08-22, 12:40   Link #116
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Got trolled big time this chapter!

Well, at least the manga offer a practical route and the protagonist is taking the generic Shounen path.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:42   Link #117
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Plus lol @ the Moka getting fatter part...
Then she gets liposuction and uses the remaining muscle to train and enter the local tourneys. Win!
Old 2012-08-22, 12:46   Link #118
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Got trolled big time this chapter!

Well, at least the manga offer a practical route and the protagonist is taking the generic Shounen path.
i am hoping the author got another surprise besides a remake of major high school arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Then she gets liposuction and uses the remaining muscle to train and enter the local tourneys. Win!
no boxing unless she wants to lose that eye.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:53   Link #119
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
no boxing unless she wants to lose that eye.
We've had blind samurais in the past, blind boxer just might work Well, as long as she's got a protagonist role, I'm okay with it...but since it's a boxing manga, mostly focused on Isamu and his career, it's just harder to keep her in the spotlight than it was pre-timeskip.
Old 2012-08-28, 03:29   Link #120
Johnny
Working the bags...

Spoiler for ch 69: