AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-07, 18:12   Link #61
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I can't say I disagree with any of that (although the Future Trunks//unperfect cell//android saga which follows Freiza is highly underrated)...I pretty much agree with everything else you said, but a small part of my shonen heart will always belong to DBZ...The feeling I had as a 6, 7 year old forcing myself to go to sleep early on Friday Nights just to wake up at the crack of dawn so I could watch those Saturday Morning Cartoons was returned to me as a teenager via DBZ...While I've watched probably a hundred other anime series that I find much better in many different aspects (One Piece included), my connection to that series will never fade...I just can't express in words how much enjoyment I got out of the whole DBZ-experience (Only those who know can truley understand what that means)...You can never go back..that first time around was so great...To think about how many people I got hooked on that series in college...To think how many friends I had that didn't even like cartoons or anime who are now anime-freaks based on me showing them DBZ fansubs from the late 90's...Not many can understand, but that's just a part of the reason I find it hard to ignore when people either mindlessly bash it or crap on it for the sake of doing, or morso hate it because it became popular in the US and somehow they irrationally regard that as a black-eye for anime...
Now that is perfectly understandable... for me, though i did watch it, DBZ never had that level of an impact on me... gundam wing and tenchi muyo were really my gateway anime series... i mean, i'd be lying if i said i didn't enjoy it back when i was a kid, but it wasn't that too memorable for me. Of the shows i watched on saturday mornings i'd say the old Sonic the hedgehog series gives me the most nostalgia... i've grown to look at things critically, and too me, DBZ is more like one of those series thats only great when you don't care about anything but fighting and watching stuff blow up... as a kid i probably would have picked DBZ over DB, yet today, i feel that, in terms of quality, DB has more flavor to it

Quote:
I don't know where you got that info, but to my knowledge it was Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney's animation style that influenced Tezuka and others, and basically is the mother of animated design that spawned the evolution of animation in Japan.
I'm actually currently taking a course in animation history...
Mickey mouse was one of Tezuka's animation influences, but Betty boop was what influenced his style

Quote:
I wonder what came before mickey mouse...
Felix the cat - early 1920's
Didn't directly influnce mickey, but he is credited as the first animated character with personality.... before him, animated characters didn't have much personality
alot of stuff happen before mickey...

Last edited by Slayerx; 2006-04-07 at 18:30.
Old 2006-04-07, 18:37   Link #62
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
DBZ is more like one of those series thats only great when you don't care about anything but fighting and watching stuff blow up...
As a kid I gotta tell you watching fighting and watching stuff blow-up (in cartoons)was as cool as it gets...DBZ was the amalgam of all the fighting shows I ever watched kicked up to the nth power...Made no excuses, was all about ridiculous fighting...No other show comes close to mirroring the no-holds barred super-fighting that takes place...That actually makes it a pretty original show...
Old 2006-04-07, 18:43   Link #63
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
As a kid I gotta tell you watching fighting and watching stuff blow-up (in cartoons)was as cool as it gets...DBZ was the amalgam of all the fighting shows I ever watched kicked up to the nth power...Made no excuses, was all about ridiculous fighting...No other show comes close to mirroring the no-holds barred super-fighting that takes place...That actually makes it a pretty original show...

Indeed it does!!! Akira toriyama's masterpieces made the Shonen era what it is today as well as other cartoons. I loved DBZ as a kid and I still have no problem watching it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
DBZ is more like one of those series thats only great when you don't care about anything but fighting and watching stuff blow up...
And that is why it is so popular throughout the entire world.
Old 2006-04-07, 19:03   Link #64
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

I watch both Naruto and Bleach, and was always interested in One Piece.

Why have I never watched it? I don't know - It attracts me that the main character is named Luffy, which I think is a hilarious name, and I heard it was very funny and different and had a humor as good as Trigun - but...

at the same time, when I watch a long series I like it to be serious and have characters I like and think is cool when developed..

its one of the reasons why I have also never given InuYasha a chance which is also a long series. or DBZ for the matter.

Also, Naruto has tooooooons of great AMVs and all sorts of stuff. that are people that live and breath it, and with One Piece fans the most you ever hear from the outside is how much 4kids suck.

I dont know... I sort of want to see the show, but im afraid I would get dissapointed...
Old 2006-04-07, 20:00   Link #65
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn
I watch both Naruto and Bleach, and was always interested in One Piece.

Why have I never watched it? I don't know - It attracts me that the main character is named Luffy, which I think is a hilarious name, and I heard it was very funny and different and had a humor as good as Trigun - but...

at the same time, when I watch a long series I like it to be serious and have characters I like and think is cool when developed..

I dont know... I sort of want to see the show, but im afraid I would get dissapointed...
Well, i say give it a shot... waht have ya got to loose

While One Piece is very humoruos, the storyline and characters are great... Some moments in the anime can get very dramatic and can be very moving... Some moments i dare say are the most emotional scenes you'll ever see out of a shonen

Just remember, because it starts out slow, One Piece is an anime that you need to give it a little time before you judge it... I'd say that's not really till the Arlong arc (ep 30 or so) does it start getting good... after rouge town and a filler arc, it only goes up from there

My only complaint about One Piece is how Oda never seems willing to kill off a character... character death makes for some great drama, but character revival after supposed death only kills said drama (Like Chouji and Neji in Naruto, or DBZ)... though i do admire how Oda still manages to make a lot of emotional scenes without killing someone off...
Old 2006-04-08, 10:08   Link #66
UberDork

DUDE same here!!!

When they started the Fillers I was like DUDES!!!

WTF should I do!!!

I am a Goddamn Otaku I need ANIME!!!

So i started watching OnePiece and I was like a Superaddict...

Now it's way better than Naruto or Bleach that's my opion...

I still gonna watch Naruto and Bleach when the Filler Arc's are over...

but my fav. is def. One Piece!!!
Old 2006-07-04, 18:34   Link #67
Ogata
Underling

You know whats hillarious? I was at a convention and I cosplayed as Luffy. I met Angela and KOTOKO to get autographs and both of them knew who I was cosplaying as. I'VE's was like Kore wa Luffy desu ne? I was like sou..KAIZOKU DAN!! KOTOKO's dancers were pointing at me going....One Piece ka? I was like damn... Whats worse was there was a Naruto beside me and noone said anything to the Naruto Cosplayer. But I guess thats because its been out longer in Japan.
Old 2006-07-04, 23:58   Link #68
NinjaxAnbu

Send a message via ICQ to NinjaxAnbu Send a message via AIM to NinjaxAnbu Send a message via MSN to NinjaxAnbu
Even without all the fillers, One Piece is far superior to Bleach and Naruto. This is coming from an ex-Naruto fanboy too. As opposed to Naruto, even the most ordinary character is unique in One Piece. The depth found in the plot of One Piece is also atypical for a shounen manga.
Old 2006-07-05, 15:02   Link #69
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
to ...I just can't express in words how much enjoyment I got out of the whole DBZ-experience (Only those who know can truley understand what that means)...You can never go back..that first time around was so great...To think about how many people I got hooked on that series in college...To think how many friends I had that didn't even like cartoons or anime who are now anime-freaks based on me showing them DBZ fansubs from the late 90's...Not many can understand, but that's just a part of the reason I find it hard to ignore when people either mindlessly bash it or crap on it for the sake of doing, or morso hate it because it became popular in the US and somehow they irrationally regard that as a black-eye for anime...

My sentiments exactly DBZ is the ultimate anime rush. I got all my cousins, a few of my friends, and even my sisters to start watching DBZ. And I think it's very evident that a lot of the characters were inspired and the entire series itself was inspired by DBZ. Both Oda and Kishimoto have expressed the influence DBZ has had on their respective shows, and even though I like One Piece it has not surpassed DBZ, I don't think anything has. The closes show to surpassing DBZ in my mind is Naruto. One Piece is less popular than Bleach and Naruto for many reasons but I think the biggest reason is the different more "cartoony" style of animation that is used on the show. Not only that but at first glance the show seems kind of silly, and people aren't willing to look past the silliness to see that show is very deep, the best way I could describe One Piece is a 100% adrenaline rush. And those who do not like One Piece obviously has never seen Luffy fight before, because when it comes time to fight this is the #1 BADASS SHOW ON EARTH!!!!
Old 2006-07-05, 15:10   Link #70
hanxthre
Banned

The only place One Piece is less popular than Naruto and Bleach is on this forum (And that's because the episodes are lagging in the sub world)...In Japan One Piece is way more popular than those 2 shows...Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't One Piece in like the number 1 time slot on primetime Sunday Nights in Japan?? I also here it's ratings blows everything else on at the same time out of the water...I know I read somewhere it's the most popular anime in Japan in terms of consistent veiwership...
Old 2006-07-05, 16:10   Link #71
noktown

Well,I watched Naruto all episodes,i kinda liked it,but there was too much useless episodes...,the only moments i like when he's angry and uses nine tail's powers...,and when he mastered rasengan...,thats it

Then i started to watch One Piece and i saw 264 episodes in like 4-5 days (I watched Naruto 180 episodes in like 2 weeks ),i like OP much more then Naruto..., i saw Bleach only 1 episode,didnt like it

P.S.Sry for my English )
Old 2006-07-05, 17:49   Link #72
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown
Then i started to watch One Piece and i saw 264 episodes in like 4-5 days (I watched Naruto 180 episodes in like 2 weeks ),i like OP much more then Naruto..., i saw Bleach only 1 episode,didnt like it
In 4-5 days? God, how did you find the time? Much less what kind of look would be on a person's face after that?
Old 2006-07-05, 17:57   Link #73
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
In 4-5 days? God, how did you find the time? Much less what kind of look would be on a person's face after that?

I did the same thing with the Naruto DVD's, and I'm starting on the One Piece DVD's, or at least I would if those assholes would ever send it in. Trust me if you have an entire collection of your favorite show you won't be able to stop watching until your finished. (and then regret it later because you now have nothing to do)
Old 2006-07-07, 07:21   Link #74
shadabad

Arrow

One Piece is more a mainstream anime than Naruto & Bleach.
Both Naruto & Bleach are more for audience between the age of 12~18, One Piece is more open for all ages, not to mention "strange", which is the reason attracting more audience. Detective Conan is the nearest to One Piece in Japan's TV Rankings, both series feature strange un-expected fantasy characters and events.
In fact, One Piece has audience rating from 10~13 (2002~2006) in Japan, currently it's the 4th in the Japanese Audience Rating's Anime lists.
Old 2006-07-07, 20:15   Link #75
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
But that was really interesting
Old 2006-07-09, 00:03   Link #76
Ogata
Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadabad
One Piece is more a mainstream anime than Naruto & Bleach.
Both Naruto & Bleach are more for audience between the age of 12~18, One Piece is more open for all ages, not to mention "strange", which is the reason attracting more audience. Detective Conan is the nearest to One Piece in Japan's TV Rankings, both series feature strange un-expected fantasy characters and events.
In fact, One Piece has audience rating from 10~13 (2002~2006) in Japan, currently it's the 4th in the Japanese Audience Rating's Anime lists.
Whos got all 4XX episodes of Detective Conan? Or is it around 300 lol but yea everyone was too busy with Naruto and Bleach. Friend watched the 4Kids version and they didn't like it one bit said it was too childish. I was like man, if Angela and I'VE's knew I cosplayed as luffy and there was a Naruto beside me and they didn't say anything to the Naruto, then it must be huge in japan since Naruto isn't that popular in Japan. I just got my Enies Lobby Pants done today and I am going to be the Enies Lobby Luffy with my friends who are also going Enies Lobby =)
Old 2006-07-20, 17:49   Link #77
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i think in the US, the dubbed version turned one piece into a joke
Old 2006-07-22, 03:48   Link #78
Zico

One Piece comedy miles ahead of Naruto comedy. When Naruto is supposed to be funny most of the time it feels more awkward than funny, and it's like someone has to give you a little reminder that you're supposed to laugh...
One Piece on the other hand, for me with all the whacky ness and the dry and often sarcastic comedy is hilarious to me. I know it's a matter of taste, but the comedy in Naruto feels like it's written by a guy who couldn't crack a good joke if his life depended on it. Even the little Q/A bits in the end of the manga where Japanese kids can ask Oda a question are often funny. Oda just has a much better sense of humor if you ask me.

One Piece creativity miles ahead of naruto, just look at the insanely large amount of unique characters, different environments, vibrant countries, island etc... Compared to this almost all of the stages of where Naruto plays out are as bland as Dragonball Z open fields and forests. It feels like the One Piece world is a whole huge fleshed out universe, and it's still far from done! The art style might not be your cup of tea, but at least One Piece dares to be different, unlike the super standard anime style naruto and bleach use which we see in 100.000 other shows too. One Piece has a refreshing style that might be closer to western animation, but it's very very fitting and makes the world come alive.

One Piece animation art and animation: Matter of taste when it comes to art, but as stated above, I prefer One Piece. As for animation quality, I'd say if you watched both, it's pretty clear, One Piece has a much higher average animation quality. In Naruto it drops from good to horrible way too often.

Storytelling, if anyone has seen both and still needs explanation why One Piece is not 1, not 2, but 3 leagues above Naruto in terms of storytelling quality...
The storytelling while Oda is often inspired by existing legends, folklore, history, and pop culture references, he gives his own spin on it and creates a marvelous romantic (not love romantic you dumbasses!) world. In Naruto it seems it's mostly bloody annoying angst and just running after sasuke and orochimaru and hyping all kinds of strong enemies just to have them defeated like it were nothing. There's barely any real storytelling. Unless you count the million references to "that jutsu" trying to make the reader extremely curious on what kind of party trick we'll see next month's issue or episode if we're lucky. One Piece just gives a lot of people the great sense of adventure, laughs and wondering what kind of awesome new vibrant world or characters Oda has waiting for us next.
Stuff that isn't like mostly the same as we've seen before!

What does Naruto put up against it? A whole lot of useless cannon fodder enemies and few really fleshed out memorable characters. Loads of enemies who just all seem to be somewhat the same in motivation as well as backstory, lots of cockyness, and then they die. This is somewhat true for One Piece too, but at least there's more diversity to the characters, they stand out on their own more, and they have more vallue to the plot, be it to the story, comedy vallue or what not.

I can probably think of a number of different reasons, realize I’ve seen both shows and read both mangas, although naruto is just painful to read. And I have not watched the fillers at all when it comes to Naruto.

Last edited by Zico; 2006-07-22 at 11:23.
Old 2006-07-22, 19:29   Link #79
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

What Zico said. And really, no filler from an anime has pained me more than that of Naruto filler. One long, pointless filler arc was enough to kill off the idea of continuing to watch the anime. Still reading the manga, as somewhat painful it comes to be at times.
Old 2006-07-22, 23:13   Link #80
4F0ur

For me the reason its less popular is
coz the style of the drawing
its too cartoonish

credit to necrodeath...
Closed Thread