AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-28, 14:13   Link #1101
YuriEcchiGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Did the 1st season already get a DVD release?

I'm hoping for a BD release for the US. There actually was a BD/DVD combo-pack re-release of the 1st season solicited, but it got changed to DVD only. I asked Funimation at a convention if it was just because of material issues, or if they didn't think it was feasible to release on BD. They said they still planned to release it on BD, but there were just delays with materials and they wanted to get a re-release out quickly. So hopefully that won't take too long, even if the 1st season would be an upscale; I want plenty of excuses to re-buy it over and over.
It comes out as a complete first season 2 disc set over here in the UK in a couple of months
Old 2011-08-28, 21:37   Link #1102
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriEcchiGirl View Post
Fingers crossed big-time that the 2nd season will get a UK DVD release over here very soon
The way its going it not going to soon or with in the year maybe some time next year or maybe even in 5 years
Old 2011-08-28, 23:31   Link #1103
YuriEcchiGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
The way its going it not going to soon or with in the year maybe some time next year or maybe even in 5 years
Ooooooh, that doesn't sound good at all, but so long as the first season is, it's all good
Old 2011-08-30, 04:42   Link #1104
kitten320

I liked this season more than 1st one over all, but I was dissapointed with typical ending where main heroine saves the world on her own =/
Old 2011-08-30, 14:12   Link #1105
YuriEcchiGirl

You have a very good point there indeed saying that, and still have as of yet to watch Season2 myself
Old 2011-08-31, 03:27   Link #1106
Siegel Clyne

Minna's Love for Mio

Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke (Rie Tanaka) - Negai no Tomoshibi / Strike Witches

Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 03:54   Link #1107
kitten320

You should check it, it is good over all. Only ending is weak.

Is Mina really singing about Mio there?
Old 2011-08-31, 04:17   Link #1108
YuriEcchiGirl

That was a cool video, thanks for sharing, I liked watching it
Old 2011-08-31, 05:06   Link #1109
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke (Rie Tanaka) - Negai no Tomoshibi / Strike Witches

lol dang, wth. This song made me nostalgic for/miss Strike Witches even though I just watched the series for the first time, like, one month ago. Maybe I've just overloaded on Eila and Sanya so I haven't had enough of the other girls.

However, this seems kinda fun so...random youtube video spam, go!

Have some Eila's character song:

This one is pretty lol from Eila and Sanya's HimeUta cd:

Take a moment to revisit the Eila and Sanya classic, "Sweet Duet":

And to finish off, the EPIC theme song they made for Starlight Stream, "Endless Chat":
(actually, it's even better if you can watch it with comments on, so if you have a NicoNico account click here)

Yeah. Great songs. Enjoy.

edit:

lol, ok. Just for shits and giggles:

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-08-31 at 05:40.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 11:02   Link #1110
kitten320

Well there still has to be a movie.
Old 2011-09-01, 04:48   Link #1111
YuriEcchiGirl

A Strike Witches movie would just be too awesome for words!
Old 2011-09-21, 03:44   Link #1112
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Given my opinion on SW2, something that's been bothering me about the movie is the lack of GONZO's involvement despite being the original studio that produced both the OVA short and the first series.

Apparently, they've been (sort of) making a comeback with Nyanpire and Last Exile: Silver Fam. Yet despite this, they're not the main production company behind the movie. What's the deal with this? I am confused as to why GONZO isn't the main production company despite making the first two anime adaptations of Strike Witches. It's like they just forgot about it completely.
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 09:29   Link #1113
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
Given my opinion on SW2, something that's been bothering me about the movie is the lack of GONZO's involvement despite being the original studio that produced both the OVA short and the first series.

Apparently, they've been (sort of) making a comeback with Nyanpire and Last Exile: Silver Fam. Yet despite this, they're not the main production company behind the movie. What's the deal with this? I am confused as to why GONZO isn't the main production company despite making the first two anime adaptations of Strike Witches. It's like they just forgot about it completely.
The animation studio doesn't have as much control over the franchise as you seem to think; it's all about the production committee, which is the same for both seasons and the movie. The animation studio is just contracted out to do the animation; it's not like they have a huge influence on the plot and writing. And the two seasons and movie still have the same key creative staff, the stuff which is actually important to this: Director Kazuhiro Takamura, a bunch of the script writers, and Takaaki Suzuki.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 19:14   Link #1114
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The animation studio doesn't have as much control over the franchise as you seem to think; it's all about the production committee, which is the same for both seasons and the movie. The animation studio is just contracted out to do the animation; it's not like they have a huge influence on the plot and writing. And the two seasons and movie still have the same key creative staff, the stuff which is actually important to this: Director Kazuhiro Takamura, a bunch of the script writers, and Takaaki Suzuki.
I can sort of understand the point you're trying to make as people are more concerned and critical with the production staff rather than the studio themselves as of lately. At the same time, I find it difficult to wrap my head around why they would rehash the storyline from the first season (let alone repeat scenes from SW1) instead of coming up with an all new story. It also doesn't excuse the animation (which was poor compare to last season IMO,) as well as the miscasting of certain seiyuu for certain characters. (Saori Seto did a terrible job voicing Sakamoto Mio IMO.)
Old 2011-09-21, 21:58   Link #1115
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
I can sort of understand the point you're trying to make as people are more concerned and critical with the production staff rather than the studio themselves as of lately. At the same time, I find it difficult to wrap my head around why they would rehash the storyline from the first season (let alone repeat scenes from SW1) instead of coming up with an all new story. It also doesn't excuse the animation (which was poor compare to last season IMO,) as well as the miscasting of certain seiyuu for certain characters. (Saori Seto did a terrible job voicing Sakamoto Mio IMO.)
Re: Repetition of events, I thought that was really interesting. The first episode repeated the same structure of events, but highlighted how Miyafuji's character has grown and become more assertive. It's like the anime version of Philip Glass. And at the same time, the other stuff almost felt like a parody of kuuki-kei by saying, "This sort of moe anime is all about consuming the same sort of audio-visual 'comfort food' over and over again, so here, we just reanimated the same stuff twice."

Re: the animation, At first I thought the 1st season's animation was better. However, I think S2's animation is more consistently better (more on model, more movement over), while S1 has more very impressive and stylish sakuga scenes (like a lot of ep. 5, the end of ep. 9, and the final destruction of the Akagi). If you asked a random sample of, though, the majority would probably say S2 was better animated.

Re: Saori Seto, well, she's not the original, so anyone would feel off. I got used to her, though.

I do, however, prefer S1 to S2 myself, but I wouldn't criticize it nearly as much as you do. If the first season was 100%, then I'd say, for example, the second season was 88%.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:28   Link #1116
einhorn303

I just got the latest semi-official doujinshi by Nogami Takeshi, "Keiko Kato North Africa Military Photos 1943," in the mail this week; I wrote a short review of it here. People who prefer the serious/historical side of Strike Witches would definitely enjoy it.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:54   Link #1117
dfens

I don't see Strike Witches 2 in the UK for a long long time. We still don't have it in the US and it's been a year since it aired with no information from Funimation of a release date or any info about it just like all the To Aru Index/Railgun series.

At least they are making a movie but it comes out in Feb I believe, maybe I'll go to Japan around that time and see it while I'm their was planning on going in the fall and see Eva 3.0
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 15:43   Link #1118
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
So, I hear this is a lightnovel series as well. Is there an official English translation of it (even if not released in the US)? Also, is there a dub? I know Funimation has subs of it. I think.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:04   Link #1119
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
So, I hear this is a lightnovel series as well. Is there an official English translation of it (even if not released in the US)? Also, is there a dub? I know Funimation has subs of it. I think.
Despite what people seem to think the anime series was based off of, while there are light novel adaptations of Strike Witches (ranging from Suomus Misfit Squadron all the way to the light novel adaptations of SW2 and everything in between), Strike Witches is just a mixed media project. There's not really some significant source material that the anime, manga or light novels are based off of.

I don't think there's been an official English translation of the light novels so to speak. However, Dan Kanemitsu did mention Suomus Misfit Squadron and Witches in Africa getting somewhat of an English translation.

There's also a dub of the anime as well. Though it's not all that great IMO.

Quote:
Re: Repetition of events, I thought that was really interesting. The first episode repeated the same structure of events, but highlighted how Miyafuji's character has grown and become more assertive. It's like the anime version of Philip Glass. And at the same time, the other stuff almost felt like a parody of kuuki-kei by saying, "This sort of moe anime is all about consuming the same sort of audio-visual 'comfort food' over and over again, so here, we just reanimated the same stuff twice."

Re: the animation, At first I thought the 1st season's animation was better. However, I think S2's animation is more consistently better (more on model, more movement over), while S1 has more very impressive and stylish sakuga scenes (like a lot of ep. 5, the end of ep. 9, and the final destruction of the Akagi). If you asked a random sample of, though, the majority would probably say S2 was better animated.

Re: Saori Seto, well, she's not the original, so anyone would feel off. I got used to her, though.

I do, however, prefer S1 to S2 myself, but I wouldn't criticize it nearly as much as you do. If the first season was 100%, then I'd say, for example, the second season was 88%.
I understand and see where you're coming from with this. If I saw the show from that point of view, then maybe I would've better appreciated it more than I do.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'd have to agree with you there. Then again, I either had my hopes too high, or expected way too much out of this series.
Old 2011-09-25, 20:35   Link #1120
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Ah. So then the light novels stop where the anime does?

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemonomimi, light novel adaptation, mecha, mecha musume