AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 152 58.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 22.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 3.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.15%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-16, 11:21   Link #61
Mez

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 11:23   Link #62
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

well then... my thoughts ~~
Spoiler for Bad & Goods points:

I enjoyed this episode, considering as a pretty excellent end. but i do hesistate a lot for either a 9 or a 10, because this episode isn't free of flaws, and they aren't really small, nor huge either.
Most likely, the time jump is the core problem here, but, incidently enough, it gives emphasis of the important matter.

definitavely an excellent series. (now, it is time to try 2k2 version... i might regret it )
Old 2007-03-16, 11:32   Link #63
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I don't think spoilers are necessary now that this is already the last episode's discussion thread.

I think some people kind of misunderstood something about Kanon. Unlike AIR, Kanon is not supposed to be depressing nor tragic. The mircales occurs to make things happy again in the epilogue (some people debate about the appropriate-ness of this, but that's another discussion altogther). Again, it's the fairy-tale like nature of the story playing itself here.

Shiori was never meant to die - I've mentioned before that she clearly survived long enough to meet Yuuichi when spring came in the game's epilogue, so there was no doubt about her not dying (yet) from the beginning anyway. In the game they never gave a proper explaination to her recovery, yet the Kyoani version at least tried to give it an appropriate explaination via the Ayu deus ex machina (while not sacraficing the theme of the show itself, great writing on Kyoani on that).

As for Nayuki. I've said it before that I would reduce my opinion of Kyoani's Kanon if they did not do the clock and I stick by that - and in the end Kyoani also reduced a fair amount of Nayuki's air time (and no this is not due to a lack of material to work with, Nayuki has plenty of material to go on as well, contrary to what people think). IMO Kyoani did cop out a little here, though 4 out of 5 "faithfuls" is definitely not a bad score on Kyoani's part, and they had achieved what all the other studios did not when it comes to VN adaptations - and that is it is possible to keep most materials from the novels and interweave them in a meaningful way without having to resort to butching it into a one-route-one-heroine-only story telling method.

Overall, I'll say that Kyoani Kanon is about 8.5/10 - marks deducted mostly for the lack of explaination to Nayuki's story, and some pacing problems now and there. Now if the other studios will dedicate the same amount of love to their VN adaptations as Kyoani does, we will get so many more quality and moving works to watch instead of being labled as "moe" shows.
Old 2007-03-16, 11:38   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
Yes it was all just an

Spoiler:
Well, sort of, but not quite. It's more like...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 11:42   Link #65
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I'm a big fan of Toei's Kanon (always been in my top 10) and now a bigger fan of KyoAni's version. I loved the way they wrapped it up...
Spoiler for my thoughts on how they tied up all of the endings:

Hmmm I don't get why everyone keeps going on about the clock....

Spoiler for why i think there is no need for a clock:

Hee hee as soon as I saw Yuuichi's lost shirt I thought, is someone on the animation staff a Lost fan, or was it a reference to Yuuichi feeling lost, then I thought nah... He's obviously a fan of Lost from ASF
Old 2007-03-16, 11:49   Link #66
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

So they just combined all the girls' endings together, eh.

I'm kind of half awake right now, forced myself to get up to watch this episode, so I'll just briefly state my first impression of this episode. To me, this episode is kind of disappointing. It is about miracle alright, and in the game they do end that way for the girls (plus a bit of original material by KyoAni, but the general idea is there), however for Ayu's part, I believe it left quite some questions behind to the audience. As for the impact, I was like "Ah, it's over". Just simple as that. There maybe wonders left behind, but there's no "aftertaste", if you know what I mean. For example, after finish playing AIR the game or even watching TOEI's version of Kanon, I would sit back and close my eyes, and felt like I was still in the story. But this, it's like "the end". Maybe if you watch the whole 24 episodes in one go, the previous episodes would stick in your mind, but this last episode just totally shut the whole thing.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense. I really need to go back to hug my bed.

Oh yeah, before I go, I have to say this...

It will take a while for me to get used to Kanon-less Fridays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Is that even an argument why an OVA shouldn't be made ?
Because it's a total (yet imperfect, I would say) closure that I don't see any room for making an OVA, without ruining the series.
Old 2007-03-16, 11:51   Link #67
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I don't think spoilers are necessary now that this is already the last episode's discussion thread.

I think some people kind of misunderstood something about Kanon. Unlike AIR, Kanon is not supposed to be depressing nor tragic. The mircales occurs to make things happy again in the epilogue (some people debate about the appropriate-ness of this, but that's another discussion altogther). Again, it's the fairy-tale like nature of the story playing itself here.

Shiori was never meant to die - I've mentioned before that she clearly survived long enough to meet Yuuichi when spring came in the game's epilogue, so there was no doubt about her not dying (yet) from the beginning anyway. In the game they never gave a proper explaination to her recovery, yet the Kyoani version at least tried to give it an appropriate explaination via the Ayu deus ex machina (while not sacraficing the theme of the show itself, great writing on Kyoani on that).

As for Nayuki. I've said it before that I would reduce my opinion of Kyoani's Kanon if they did not do the clock and I stick by that - and in the end Kyoani also reduced a fair amount of Nayuki's air time (and no this is not due to a lack of material to work with, Nayuki has plenty of material to go on as well, contrary to what people think). IMO Kyoani did cop out a little here, though 4 out of 5 "faithfuls" is definitely not a bad score on Kyoani's part, and they had achieved what all the other studios did not when it comes to VN adaptations - and that is it is possible to keep most materials from the novels and interweave them in a meaningful way without having to resort to butching it into a one-route-one-heroine-only story telling method.

Overall, I'll say that Kyoani Kanon is about 8.5/10 - marks deducted mostly for the lack of explaination to Nayuki's story, and some pacing problems now and there. Now if the other studios will dedicate the same amount of love to their VN adaptations as Kyoani does, we will get so many more quality and moving works to watch instead of being labled as "moe" shows.

Maybe the spoilers aren't necessary, houko-dono, but let's keep them anyway. There's bound to be those who reads this thread before watching the episode per se, and then whines about being spoiled....

Anyway, about my rant on Shiori. I do understand that Kanon isn't supposed to be like AIR; in fact, you might remember that I once wrote an essay in the veteran's thread, classifying AIR as an "epic tragedy", and Kanon as a "heartwarming fairytale". And I do also recognize that Shiori's recovery ties in with the "miracle" theme, so it fits in. On my part though, from what I know of the Shiori End in the original game, it concludes with a CG of a girl who looks like Shiori bumping into Yuuichi.....and then it ends there. I'm not sure if there's any more dialogue between her and Yuuichi after that, but I don't think so.

With such an open ending, my prediction was that yes, Shiori would survive all the way til Spring, and maybe even for a while afterwards....but in order to preserve the underlying tragedy in her storyline, she was going to have to die soon. I was thinking that KyoAni would make it such that Ayu's miracle gives her a few extra years, or something like that, but eventually she shouldn't be able to cheat fate; it just dilutes the whole emotional impact of Episode 19. I dunno......anyway, it's over.

As for Nayuki, personally I'm willing to let the omission of the clock scene pass; after all, from what I remember of the game transcripts, the clock scene is mainly the means to an end, said "end" being the solidifying of a romantic relationship between Yuuichi and Nayuki. However, from the start, KyoAni's Kanon has been pretty clear on the fact that there's not going to be a romance between the both of them. And if there's no romance....then, in my opinion, the clock scene would have served little purpose, except to muddy up the waters more than necessary. I'm happy as it is right now; Nayuki finding strength in herself once again, and no longer holding onto the past.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Because it's a total (yet imperfect, I would say) closure that I don't see any room for making an OVA, without ruining the series.
The AIR in Summer OVAs weren't "closure" OVAs, they were "in-depth" OVAs.

There's still a chance yet.
Old 2007-03-16, 11:58   Link #68
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Hmmm I don't get why everyone keeps going on about the clock....

Spoiler for why i think there is no need for a clock:
Spoiler for for the clock:
Old 2007-03-16, 12:01   Link #69
Nagato
幻想郷

I'm glad Mai and Sayuri can leave hospital before the graduation ceremony. Rushed as usual, yet KA still concluded all the girls arc excellently only with one word, miracle.

Well maybe Nayuki fans have disappointed with the ED, but I'm considering, we already have Nayuki and "Makoto" ending in the previous EP and Makoto in her last arc EP.

So, who is that disappeared Ayu? a proxy, ...err foxy girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
definitavely an excellent series. (now, it is time to try 2k2 version... i might regret it )
Propaganda:
Try remember again U1's advise to Jun,
世の中には知らない方が幸せなこともある。 

Edit:
"In this world, there's thing that it's better if you don't know it"
sorry, for odd English.

Last edited by Nagato; 2007-03-16 at 12:16.
Old 2007-03-16, 12:05   Link #70
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler for for the clock:
well, on the other end... considering that scene is in Nayuki's arc, where yuuichi doesn't harbor romantic feelings towards ayu, it wouldn't work a lot on Nayuki, in "KyoAni" version. TBH, it would be slightly better than yuuichi caring attitude towards her during her depression, by a small margin. (meh, that's my opinion ~~)

also, saying "only" about kaori is rather harsh, since Nayuki perfectly understand Kaori's feelings about shiori, so to speak : while nayuki seemed to leave her depression out quite easely, it wasn't really convient, considering how close their own situations were similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato View Post
Propaganda:
Try remember again U1's advise to Jun,
世の中には知らない方が幸せなこともある。 
Hey ! translation pretty please ~~ (i'm already prepared to the "CHIN OF DEATH" of 2K2, but quite not with the "butchered sequencial following up 5 arcs" ~~)
Old 2007-03-16, 12:23   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
erm happy end i presume ^_^
Spoiler:

great end :3 now i feel empty...time to run through 2k2

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-16, 12:49   Link #72
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I think I'll sort out my thoughts on this final episode on a girl-by-girl basis (along with their "side-character"). Don't think spoiler tags are needed anymore since everything's wrapped up now.

Nayuki (and Akiko) - I agree with many here that the omission of the alarm clock recording was a minus point for Kyo-Ani. Nayuki certainly deserves more in this series.

I don't know about the Toei version, but even in the original game, Nayuki's ending felt like a regular bishoujo game ending, even with Akiko-san's accident and her miraculous recovery (thanks to Ayu).

Makoto (and Mishio) - Constant references of her and a cameo by Mikuru, sorry, the real Makoto made up for her absence in this episode. She's even shown returning to the hill in spring, thus Yuuichi's wish was granted.

It's a pity that when Mishio served her plot purposes by the end of Makoto's arc, she was not heard of again, and we're only given a glimpse of how she has developed personality wise - starting to mix in with her classmates. But better one shot than none.

Mai and Sayuri - Not much to say really, besides......
Mai with glasses. (Nagato~~~ )

Graduation kimonos.

Mai being the one to give Yuuichi the final push to confront his past (of never handing the hairband to Ayu).

Shiori (and Kaori)

It's good to see her back, though the scene of her returning could be done in a less rushed way. Not to mention she's promised to buy tonnes of food for Yuuichi (namely boxes of ice-cream) if she survives. But I understand the constraints faced by Kyo-Ani.

Shiori wonders if Ayu was the one granting all the miracles, showing her thoughtfulness. In the game ending, Shiori also wondered where did Ayu go.

Kaori's comment on Akiko-san's legendary jam - Glad they included that in.

Ayu - As the series is focused on her ending, I was looking forward to how Kyo-Ani would take care of this, and I was not disappointed.

First, they showed Yuuichi visiting Ayu in hospital, sleeping soundly for 7 years. The game merely mentions Yuuichi rushinig off to hospital to see her.

Then the rest of the girls take turn to take care of Sleeping Ayu. A glimpse of how to regularly take care of a person in a coma, which is probably a first in anime.

Yuuichi coming to terms with his final denial (of never giving Ayu the hairband), followed by the Ayu ending. Ayu certainly looked cute in the new outfit.

In fact, for me, Kyo-Ani character designer Ikeda Kazumi did a better job than KEY's illustrator Hinoue Itaru in illustrating Ayu in the new outfit. Hinoue's "new Ayu" had longer hair, and didn't look as cute as Ikeda's "new Ayu".

And never did I once thought of a wheelchair when I first read Ayu's good ending, when I saw the wheelchair, it made perfect sense, for Ayu just recovered recently.

Overall, despite the gutter voters having fun pissing people off episode after episode (and some unsuspecting people who actually support them because of their perceived "persecution"), the series was a more-than-faithful adaptation (with some unavoidable flaws) which set a new standard for other studios to follow in terms of adapting bishoujo games. Even if Kyo-Ani's version isn't perfect, I seriously can't see anyone coming up with a better adaptation than this, at least not in this decade or next. (Yes, I'm biased and I don't deny it, so don't complain. )

And what's that I see after the credits? At first I thought it was merely the trailer for the movie (as I've not seen any clips from the movie), I never expected the rumours of the CLANNAD TV-Series to be true, and by Kyo-Ani of all people. What a great marketing move to capture people's attention.

In all, it's fun discussing with you guys and watching you bicker over each other on how the story will go. I look forward to seeing people bickering over the CLANNAD storylines (and probably can't avoid the inevitable gutter-voters as well).
Old 2007-03-16, 12:51   Link #73
VooXoo

In the end the only dead is the fox..or not?

Behind the tree (22.08) there is a weird shadow..........

I love this series and Kyoani.

The Clannad news is the best preview for me.

I Hope in OVA (other ending or future of characters)
Old 2007-03-16, 12:55   Link #74
i0td

Kanon 2006 is my first Kanon experience. In other words, I've never played the game nor have I watched the Toei version yet, so please understand that my praise of this series does not take account many factors from those previous versions of the story. And yes, I said praise, because I absolutely loved it.

The Kanon tale was an emotional trip throughout. The tragedies just seemed to keep on piling up with the end of every episode, but this final episode closes the story very well, at least for someone like me. I've gone over this thread and noted the KyoAni deviations, ergo the few complaints about the ending. From my point of view, however, these changes to the original story, with Ayu playing the role of the deus ex machina, for example, do not bother me one bit. Rather, with such as the case, these changes actually help tie up loose ends nicely indeed. The power of the dream, the wish, the miracle has been an underlying theme of Kanon and it has really been made clear with this final Ayu arc.

Sure, it was a bit anticlimactic for most people, seeing all of our cherished characters suddenly revived (even Makoto who steals the spotlight at the very end!), but it was definitely nice to be able to see our miracle play out in whole. That is, Ayu's wish to bring happiness to Yuuichi reaches everyone who has been part of his life. What a powerful way to resolve a story!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the emotional scenes have had their parts in the series already. They were absolutely brilliant and I was very moved by all the previous arc endings. But the time finally comes when there needs to be a happy (or sad) ending. Episode 24 delivers just that, and it was a splendid one indeed, to say the least.

10/10
Old 2007-03-16, 13:25   Link #75
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, sort of, but not quite. It's more like...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 13:29   Link #76
Julius Firefocht

Years later, anime fans will look back at Kanon 2006, nod their heads in appreciation and approval and say "Yes, this is how a bishoujo game adaptation should be done."

Well done and congratulations, KyoAni!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-03-16, 13:34   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2007-03-16 at 13:47.
Old 2007-03-16, 13:44   Link #78
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Spoiler for still on the clock:
Old 2007-03-16, 13:47   Link #79
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 13:48   Link #80
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
~ 05:48-05:55. Wait.....how did Sayuri-san know about Ayu? Am I forgetting something here, or is it just me?
Didn't Sayuri meet Ayu at the beginning of episode 16 in the hospital? From what I recall, both Yuuichi and Ayu went to visit her and Mai in the hospital.

Heh, I find it amusing how Ayu is the only girl to have met every other girl. Makoto and Shiori never met, Mai and Shiori never met, and Nayuki and Mai never met.
Closed Thread