AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-17, 13:06   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting review of the packaging.... I'm mixed on the cover art. I like it that the art matches much of the scrap paper art that the R2 DVDs used... but I can clearly see how a video store patron browsing for something new might say "wtf????" and pass it by.
Old 2008-04-17, 13:31   Link #122
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Interesting review of the packaging.... I'm mixed on the cover art. I like it that the art matches much of the scrap paper art that the R2 DVDs used... but I can clearly see how a video store patron browsing for something new might say "wtf????" and pass it by.
Well, keep in mind that the crayon-covers are for the limited edition, so they'll be INSIDE the box, so unless you actually buy it, it's not even visible. The standard edition covers might be hopelessly generic in comparison, but at least those look nice...

And I commented on the DVD over on AoD too, but I'll just say it here as well:
The huge "Lucky Star"-writing added in the OP is completely pointless, as the title was already written out in english, though it was extremely small. Now, the exact same title is written three places in the same frame...
Judging from the screencaps, the quality doesn't exactly seem fantastic, but whatever, I'm gonna buy it anyway. I've seen worse-looking releases than this one.
Old 2008-04-24, 18:32   Link #123
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Just had confirmation that DVDPacific has shipped my Lucky Star Limited Edition Vol 1 DVD today
Old 2008-04-25, 00:37   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ditto ... they may have even sat on the same packing table for a bit

Looking forward to its arrival.
Old 2008-04-25, 11:22   Link #125
ninjapanda

Hello everyone, i've been lurking around here for a couple of years now... i have no idea why i find it necessary to lurk for so long before actaully doing something, but anyway, i recieved my Lucky Star LE today, and so if anyone wants picks of what everything looks like let me know and i will post them up, sorry for being a moron if the pics have been floating around for a while now, but i haven't seen any.. ^^;;
Old 2008-04-25, 13:14   Link #126
Spirit Rubi
† h o u k a †

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Rubi Send a message via MSN to Spirit Rubi Send a message via Yahoo to Spirit Rubi
I also got my Lucky Star LE today from RightStuf. I haven't ordered from them that much so I don't know if they always ship things early or what but oh well. At least I got it. XD

They learned from the Haruhi box. Those drawers inside the Haruhi box were a cool idea but hard to get things out of. With the Lucky Star box it's just like normal DVD boxes as it has to hold 6 DVDs (I think it was 6...) in it anyways unlike Haruhi. Oh, and it also still has the ribbon to pull the dvds out. It also smells like the Haruhi box. XD
Old 2008-04-25, 14:06   Link #127
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Rubi View Post
They learned from the Haruhi box. Those drawers inside the Haruhi box were a cool idea but hard to get things out of.
All they needed was a ribbon in the drawer to pull the CD's up. In fact, I've been meaning to do that myself once I find an appropriate ribbon to staple in there.
Old 2008-04-29, 11:04   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapanda View Post
Hello everyone, i've been lurking around here for a couple of years now... i have no idea why i find it necessary to lurk for so long before actaully doing something, but anyway, i recieved my Lucky Star LE today, and so if anyone wants picks of what everything looks like let me know and i will post them up, sorry for being a moron if the pics have been floating around for a while now, but i haven't seen any.. ^^;;
I wouldn't mind some pictures from the Limited Edition verson. It's the one i want, though i won't have a lot of money over the next few months, so i may play it safe.

Also, do we have a release date for the second volume yet?
Old 2008-04-30, 17:58   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Got my LE edition box today..... okay, the XL t-shirt with the schoolgirl outfit image on it is ... just strange. No, I will not be wearing it.

I figure either my wife or my son's girlfriend will end up using it as a nightshirt ....

Also got... a V1 LE Screenwipe in the form of a choco-cornet ... more wierdness.

The two CDs were nice bonus
The first one (Motteke) ... though I don't know that we needed an extended version of the OP (gets pretty wild) but now we have "official" lyrics for the rest of us. The second tune isn't too bad ... kind of typical anime-pop and a bit of rap-chant with synth music.

The second CD is an R1 release of character volume #1 (Konata) -- this is pretty weird in itself since rarely is a character CD released into the US (as opposed to imported). Its full of Konata anime karaoke and a remix of her dialog (waste of time to me but such things seem required in recent anime character CDs).

The DVD itself:
Watched an episode of the CD in English with English subtitles. They did an excellent job with the dialog versus the subtitles (different yet same). However... amazingly, I spotted several spelling errors in the subtitles ("supoosed"...).

The "dub hater" review:
Despite my concerns, I found the dub for L*S one of the EASIEST dubs to listen to that I've experienced. And being a Kagami-worshipper, I actually think the VA for Kagami did pretty well, being the Jekyll/Hyde type she is. Going from "sweet good girl" to "aggravated growly" ... she did fairly well though her "good girl" voice ends up sounding a bit too timid initially. Kagami's english VA really fits into her groove in ep 2 as her performance gets stronger.
Miyuki and Tsukasa sound a LOT alike so when they're speaking offscreen, it can get confusing. Kuroi-sensei's english VA has a nice brassy sound to her performance.

There was one major fail of subbing and voicing in ep 2 during the splitscreen of Konata and Tsukasa and their study habits - they totally ignored Konata's lines.

The Lucky*Channel segment is just .... strange. The two of them did pull it off fairly well. Excellent merging of the english with the japanese singing during the karaoke EDs.

Overall --- I'm amazed. I might actually be able to show this to people using the English dub rather than the subtitles.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-30 at 22:25.
Old 2008-04-30, 18:26   Link #130
Magedark

I agree with that to some extent. I liked the voices quite well despite my disbelief, but sometimes Tsukasa's voice seems a bit...Odd. As for Lucky Channel, Minoru and Akira sounded pretty good.

It was a nicer dub than I thought it to be.

Although the spelling errors in the subs made me laugh.
Old 2008-05-01, 05:04   Link #131
Dee Eon

Quote:
Got my LE edition box today..... okay, the XL t-shirt with the schoolgirl outfit image on it is ... just strange. No, I will not be wearing it.
Aw, but you might be kawaii in it!!

Quote:
V1 LE Screenwipe in the form of a choco-cornet ... more wierdness.
Don't forget not to put it in the fridge!

Quote:
Watched an episode of the CD in English with English subtitles. They did an excellent job with the dialog versus the subtitles (different yet same). However... amazingly, I spotted several spelling errors in the subtitles ("supoosed"...).
I don't get it! Is this intentional or just bad quality control?? Says a lot!

Quote:
Despite my concerns, I found the dub for L*S one of the EASIEST dubs to listen to that I've experienced.
I'd really love to hear the really good fan-dub groups taking a stab at it!

Dee
Old 2008-05-01, 05:14   Link #132
FireChick

The Lucky Star DVD is out already!? I better go get it! I need to raise money!
Old 2008-05-01, 22:57   Link #133
Once and Current Subber

Sure wasn't intentional!

I'll admit that I'm not typo-proof, though I'm generally pretty good about it, and when I drop the ball, they generally pick it up behind me. It's always tough working on a translation, though, and sometimes it slips through. Did you spot any others?
Old 2008-05-02, 07:35   Link #134
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I've a feeling I saw some sort of error at the bottom left of a screen, but I watched it late along with another DVD so I might be confused or just making this up ^^;

Pics of the box etc:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shirobane/LuckyStarR1LE
Old 2008-05-02, 10:45   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Haven't watched all 4 episodes back-to-back (was skimming different scenes where I remembered translation challenges). I'll watch it this weekend with obsessive goggles on. I think I was more impressed how the dialog and subtitles were "different yet conveyed same information" and both tracked the JP script about as well as one could hope for during the alien pun moments.
Old 2008-05-03, 14:04   Link #136
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Thanks for the pics. I wondered what the screen wipe looked like.

I already have the Motteke cd, so i'm not sure if I really want the LE box.
Old 2008-05-03, 14:58   Link #137
Rembr

What's with that shirt?
Do people not like things that they can actually wear?
It's good for humor value I guess, but surely something that's usable is just as good.
But then again, I'm not sure what they could use out of Lucky Star that will make a shirt wearable in public...
Old 2008-05-03, 15:59   Link #138
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Get more of these peeps to wear it, and everything will not be in vain!

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showpost...&postcount=244
Old 2008-05-04, 10:17   Link #139
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I've rewatched the DVD and seen no spelling mistakes in the subs (although there was one point where the word "had" was used that I think should be "has", but it may be a difference between UK and US grammar, or just my understanding of grammar since I failed English anyway). There is something in the liner notes that I think may be wrong though - it says "she is referring to a Japanese saying that says that only stupid people catch colds" - I thought it was the other way around?
Old 2008-05-04, 12:35   Link #140
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
There is something in the liner notes that I think may be wrong though - it says "she is referring to a Japanese saying that says that only stupid people catch colds" - I thought it was the other way around?
Yeah, I noticed that too. And I kinda chuckled at their "safe" definition of moe.