AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-08-14, 23:27   Link #33761
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Don't forget "Quisling"; while you didn't create the act in question, it is, after all, a story about how a 16-year-old girl comes to the decision to arrange for herself to be killed.

But it's not in this fandom! That counts, right? Right????? XD;;;;;

I just think it's interesting I suppose, to explore the reasons why people might be driven to suicide, and also the reasons why they might not go through with it--"Sleeping At Last" as a good example of the latter . It's a sensitive topic for people, I know, but there are a lot of complex feelings that revolve around it, and as a writer who likes challenges I see the attempt to capture those complex feelings in interesting ways as compelling .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 23:27   Link #33762
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Say, when you guys plan to write long stories, what do you do to ensure consistency? Make short notes? Design a timeline? Etc?
Old 2011-08-14, 23:34   Link #33763
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Last time I did an outline I felt obligated to follow it so I felt more constricted.

I start with a general idea of how it'll go, certain scenes, etc, and just work from memory.

To ensure consistency, I always re-read the past chapters before starting a new one. Thank God none of my fics are as long as, say, Day in the Life. If that were the case I'd probably rely on others to point out errors for me.
Old 2011-08-14, 23:46   Link #33764
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Writing on the fly. That's how I roll.

Speaking of which:

Food For Thought

Previous chapter(s):

First CourseSecond CourseChapter 7:
Spoiler for Shepherd:
Old 2011-08-15, 00:17   Link #33765
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Usually I have the ending in mind already; the goal I want to attain.

The first few chapters (Or within a single week) were always the best, it's when my ideas flare the strongest and would not go away. Sometimes they just play around in my mind for hours before I can go to sleep... I really love that feeling. Which is why I don't mind writing for seven or eight hours straight starting from midnight, and why I love to do One Shots.

Honestly, TTG was my longest ever story ever written, and incredibly the ideas actually persisted for all ten chapters... and then it faded away along with my flair for writing.

But it'll probably come back... And I suppose I can't stop now, even if it meant writing on something else first. Or else it would really be gone.
Old 2011-08-15, 00:28   Link #33766
blissfullyunaware

deathcurse-this response is kind of late, but I also noticed the suicide. I just didn't mention it because, well, a tragic end to one of your stories...yeah. It mainly stuck out that she didn't actually light the stove because you mentioned so many other mundane details in her daily life that when there was no mention of her going back to the stove, I realized what was up. And her head ache while making the phone call was a big tip off. I don't know how much you are planning on changing, but one of the things I really liked was how subtle the moment was. I've dealt with suicidal people before, and unlike what is often depicted in the media, sometimes there is no big tearful "don't try and stop me!" moment. Sometimes they are just so sick of suffering that when they decide to off themselves, they are eerily calm. Especially when they feel as isolated as Hayate must.

Tiresias-when I write longer stuff, a time-line isn't necessary because I tend to go chronological, but I do make sure that the characters are completely fleshed out before hand, so I know exactly how they think and would react in any given situation.
blissfullyunaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 00:54   Link #33767
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Say, when you guys plan to write long stories, what do you do to ensure consistency? Make short notes? Design a timeline? Etc?
I usually do up a rough outline of major moments or chapters. Then when I mention something that I know I have to take up in a later chapter, I just make a note under that section of the rough outline. I find that after a few chapters, my rough outline tends to build itself with all those notes!

I also find it a good idea to do a detailed chapter plan (even if I always end up shifting things as I write XD;; ) of at least two chapters at a time, so that if you notice things that need foreshadowing or things that don't fit, you can shift them around with minimal disruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
deathcurse-this response is kind of late, but I also noticed the suicide. I just didn't mention it because, well, a tragic end to one of your stories...yeah. It mainly stuck out that she didn't actually light the stove because you mentioned so many other mundane details in her daily life that when there was no mention of her going back to the stove, I realized what was up. And her head ache while making the phone call was a big tip off. I don't know how much you are planning on changing, but one of the things I really liked was how subtle the moment was. I've dealt with suicidal people before, and unlike what is often depicted in the media, sometimes there is no big tearful "don't try and stop me!" moment. Sometimes they are just so sick of suffering that when they decide to off themselves, they are eerily calm. Especially when they feel as isolated as Hayate must.
Ah, thank you for letting me know . I tend to jump the gun on editing my fics after the initial commentary here (I edit my stories every time I re-read anyway, so it's not that odd), but it's never too late to hear about thoughts on a fic! In this case I'm rather glad, since I've done minimal changes and didn't like the idea of making huge ones, so you've helped sway my opinion .

The moment should still hopefully be subtle, but I'll PM you to talk about it further ^^.
Old 2011-08-15, 00:57   Link #33768
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I no longer write fictions... but when I did, I would have a vague outline for each chapter that will eventually lead to the ending I have in mind.

That way, I have enough freedom to work in any spontaneous ideas, yet remember what I have to write and mention in that chapter.

@dc's fic

I didn't notice the suicide either! Which is funny, because I had thought about the stove and the oddness of how she isn't returning to it with the barbecue lighter. Ultimately, I came into the conclusion that it was the Book of Darkness that off'd her.
Old 2011-08-15, 01:26   Link #33769
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Huh... That's weird. The moment she turned on the gas and paused I almost knew immediately what was going to happen. To me, the signs were rather obvious (Closing curtains, windows etc). Not for once that I thought BoD killed her (In a sense it was, but not this).

A second reread (To search for the signs, since when I first read the story it was midnight) only confirmed what I already knew. Personally, I don't think dc should change the final part and that she should try to make the beginning signs even more subtle.
Old 2011-08-15, 01:45   Link #33770
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
@dc's fic

I didn't notice the suicide either! Which is funny, because I had thought about the stove and the oddness of how she isn't returning to it with the barbecue lighter. Ultimately, I came into the conclusion that it was the Book of Darkness that off'd her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Huh... That's weird. The moment she turned on the gas and paused I almost knew immediately what was going to happen. To me, the signs were rather obvious (Closing curtains, windows etc). Not for once that I thought BoD killed her (In a sense it was, but not this).

A second reread (To search for the signs, since when I first read the story it was midnight) only confirmed what I already knew. Personally, I don't think dc should change the final part and that she should try to make the beginning signs even more subtle.
*headdesk* Man, it seems like my inference was way off this time! I had assumed since no one talked about the suicide at all that people had missed it--seems like it's not the case for most people!

Hm, I had made some edits, and I'm getting bliss to look it over for me since she had liked the original subtlety and would be able to let me know if the changes I made help clear things up for those who were confused without losing what those who had gotten it liked . Making it more subtle would be cool , but I worry about some people glossing over the details! Pending further edits based on that commentary, I should be posting the final version on FF.net by tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-15, 02:55   Link #33771
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

The thing is... It IS obvious now that it has been mentioned. Maybe I was too tired at work to clearly connect the dots... But the dots are clearly there and it should have screamed something to me. I feel almost ashamed.

To re-clarify, I am more surprised about how I didn't notice that it is carbon monoxide that off'd her, not the Book of Darkness.
Old 2011-08-15, 04:53   Link #33772
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
Writing on the fly. That's how I roll.

Speaking of which:

Food For Thought

Previous chapter(s):

First CourseSecond CourseChapter 7:
Spoiler for Shepherd:
Cute. but, as always, I'm hungry now.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 04:56   Link #33773
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Mostly write on the fly, plan some stuff out, but leave myself open enough that any plans can be changed on the fly, depending on my mood.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 14:11   Link #33774
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

I just finished downloading Grief Seed Syndrome, and the game plays super awesome. Can't believe that's a doujin work. And honestly, I would kill to have a Nanoha game on the same 2D side scrolling platform... Ahh...
Old 2011-08-15, 16:36   Link #33775
Justin_Brett

It wouldn't be a platformer as Nanoha though, she could just fly over everything.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 17:51   Link #33776
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
It wouldn't be a platformer as Nanoha though, she could just fly over everything.
Nanoha will fill better in a "plane shooter" game xD Suddenly i think of her as flying and firing beams in "Aero Fighters 2" or "R-Type" styles xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 17:56   Link #33777
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Let there be balance in the ficlet world! Have some Hayate x Vivio without tragedy! =D

Born from a discussion about exploding beds with dc. I don't remember why the topic came up but we did and I was roped.

Spoiler for No Explanation will Be Good Enough:

DC, feel free to make this either canon or fanon. xD
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files

Last edited by Shigan; 2011-08-15 at 18:11.
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 18:10   Link #33778
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
Let there be balance in the ficlet world! Have some Hayate x Vivio without tragedy! =D

Born from a discussion about exploding beds with dc. I don't remember why the topic came up but we did and I was roped.

I laughed the moment I saw your preface--and I LAUGHED when I read the fic!

*takes a moment to stop laughing long enough to have coherent thoughts*

Oh man, Shigan, this is awesome! I love how you took our silly jokes and made a fic around it!

(I wonder though, if Vivio has her Saint's Armour in the Hayate x Vivio Files, and how this may have changed their state of...undress at the end? =O Someone who knows more about Vivio's Saint's Armour would probably be able to answer the question better...)

The fact that Hayate was supposed to be on the couch, and yet had managed to sneak upstairs to Vivio's room while Nanoha and Fate are in the house, says something about Hayate's sneaking skills!

I love the little sad, serious hints that you slipped in this comedy about how Hayate's never really felt secure and loved in previous relationships .

Quote:
“That’s one way to put it.” Vivio replied in meek disbelief. “We blew up my room, by having foreplay.”
*helpless giggling* I also love how Hayate was trying to come up with a witty response XD. But of course, the moment would be ruined by Nanoha and Fate charging in to try and rescue their daughter....

I repeat, awesome fic!

EDIT: Totally canon!!!! XDDDD Where do you think it'll go in the Chronology? Before "Things We Tame", or after?? XD
Old 2011-08-15, 18:17   Link #33779
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
(I wonder though, if Vivio has her Saint's Armour in the Hayate x Vivio Files, and how this may have changed their state of...undress at the end? =O Someone who knows more about Vivio's Saint's Armour would probably be able to answer the question better...)

I love the little sad, serious hints that you slipped in this comedy about how Hayate's never really felt secure and loved in previous relationships .

EDIT: Totally canon!!!! XDDDD Where do you think it'll go in the Chronology? Before "Things We Tame", or after?? XD
I have no idea of how the saint's armor works ^^;, or even what it is. Anyone?

She has a good motivation for being sneaky here. =D Imagine you having this beautiful, hot girlfriend 13 years younger than you upstairs in bed and what do you do? Stay on the coach? Bwah! The Yagami is no fool.

I simply felt that I had to do -something- after you made Hayate commit suicide xD. The forces of the universe must be kept in balance.

Also, I imagine this happening sometime after The Things We Tame, after Vivio's deployment. I can't imagine Nanoha still being in denial about them being physical after having seen them like this, explosion or not. Because in all honesty, explosions don't get you naked. Girlfriends do.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 18:18   Link #33780
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post

That is priceless, there's nothing better for ruining a good time than something exploding... believe me, I know. Non romantic example and my bed didn't so much explode as splinter and collapse but the point stands.

And that folks is why you should always do dangerous research into your girlfriends possesions in your designated sleeping rooms... less possibility for bad things to happen that way.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha