AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-10-05, 16:41   Link #21
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, finished watching Mayo Chuki, and really enjoied it: I think you quite guessed what i was looking for.

Tonight will finish the last episodes of bakemonogatari as suggested, and then switch on Shakugan no Shana.

Thank you again for your tips.

If you come up with something else, do not exhitate.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 17:09   Link #22
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
finished watching mayo neko overrun, and it was kinda the thing i was looking for. What disappointed me was that it didn't actually have an end.

Anyways, started watching Mayo chiki, and from the first episode i can say i'm gonna like it.

You have guessed 2 animes i like, i wouldn't be surprised if i'll like the other two. Thanks again for the tips.
You're going to find a lot of series like that, including Zero no Tsukaima. The reason being that past few years, Light Novels are really popular. As result more and more anime are based on those novels. Problem being that those adaptions happens while the novel is still running. They just find a right break in the novel to call it the ending, while leaving possibility for a season 2. Zero no Tsukaima, Mayo Chkiki and Baka Test are all these types. It the same with most manga adaptions well, and it's really the nature of the beast.

Mayo Neko was unfortunate because the series didn't have a clear break point for them to set, while Toradora is one of rare incident that actually times the ending so that both anime and novel ends around the same time.

The World God Only Knows would be a good series for you because it also features a lot of parody on visual novels and ACG world that makes up most of the anime culture.

Based on your liking of Mayoi Chiki and Mayo Neko, you would definitely enjoy Ladies v.s. Butler and others on your plan-to-view list.
Old 2011-10-05, 18:55   Link #23
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished bakemonogatari and ye, the last episodes were actually the more interesting: quite unique i'd say, even if my jap anime culture is just at the beginning.

However, i guess i watched it too early; i would have probably more appreciated it later on. I will figure it out afterwards by my own.

I'll now throw myself in one of the animes i listed. Thank you again for your tips

PS:
Out of
Bakemonogatari - WATCHED - LIKED, in some ways
Mayoi Chiki - WATCHED - LIKED MUCH
Baka to Test to Shokanju
The World God only Knows
Shakugan no Shana
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi
Hidan no Aria
Mayoi Neko Overrun! - WATCHED - LIKED MUCH
Dragon Crisis
Astarotte no Omocha!
Shuffle!
Myself, Yourself
Asu no Yoichi

which is the best "next anime" to watch, taking into account that Mayo Neko Overrun contained 99% of what i was looking for (only bad thing was that it didn't have an end: if it somehow ended, it would have been the perfect show i was looking for) and that Mayo Chiki also appealed me much like the above mentioned anime?

In the meanwhile, i'll start with shakugan no shana, while waiting for an answer.

Once again, thank you for your time, i appreciate it.
Old 2011-10-05, 20:31   Link #24
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

You'll like most of them, but I think Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi is probably best choice next .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 22:20   Link #25
Undertaker

I'll second Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi and also Baka to Test to Shokanju from that list next. Then follows by The World God only Knows, Asu no Yoichi, and Astarotte no Omocha. I would also add Ladies v.s. Butler and MM! to your list and put them with the first group.

The other titles on your list all have the element that you liked but might have a bit more action than you are looking for.

With that being said, if you ends up like Shakugan no Shana, I would suggest you also watch Hidan no Aria and Dragon Crisis and add ToAru series (Index and Railgun) and Infinite Stratos to yours list and watch them before the two series as both series features more character interaction than your usual Sci-fi or Fantasy anime and have more character interactions than Shakugan no Shana and are better series than HnA or DC .
Old 2011-10-06, 06:53   Link #26
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh thank you for the answer; i'm currently watching shakugan no shana, and i believe the story will evolve between the two protagonists, since the girl is surprised by this boy and begins behaving in a new way.

Will watch the others in the order you gave me.

Thank you all again, you have been very useful.
Old 2011-10-07, 04:39   Link #27
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Sorry for the double post, but a simple edit would have passed unobserved:

First of all, i wanted to give you my impressions about Shakugan no Shana and Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi:
As far as the first one is concerned: i'm kinda liking it, but i find it a bit too oriented towards fantasy rather than the relation between the 2 protagonists: also, the male protagonist is either blind or retarded if he doesn't notice that shana loves him (currently watching the 2nd series, about middle)

As far as the latter is concerned, the idea would be good but i find the male protagonist a bit too shy; also, since he only loves ookami, there hasn't been any sort of rivalry between girls so far for him (Up to ep 8). Also, the granny voice disturbs me much.

If i drop em both, i'll eventually switch to "The world god only knows" and then Asu no Yoichi, since i have only 2/3 days left before uni begins.

Let me know if the other animes you suggested me have any sort of depressing male character; it's not that i don't like the idea of the useless guy that becomes useful and stronger later on (like in Zero no tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana), but i don't like embarassin characters (Like the one in Ookami-san.. where the boy fears women. Yes, he somehow protects his dear but the figure of this man appears to me a bit unreal; i mean, someone so scared, so embarassing, that is some sort of beast protector when it comes to it... i find it a bit unreal)

Anyways, so far the anime that fit the most things was Mayo [..] Overrun. If it somehow ended, it would have been 100% what i was looking for.

Anyways, i read that another suggested anime would be Amagami SS: what can you tell me about it?

Thanks again for your replies
Old 2011-10-07, 07:23   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Amagami SS is a pure romantic comedy. There’s no demons, no mechas, no fantasy, etc. It’s sweet and funny. The characters are depicted as real as possible for anime of this genre though there are some outrageous scenes too. I don’t know if you’ve seen this kind of anime yet as many other harem animes tend to be hilarious most of the time.

The story is about relationships between a boy and seven different girls. Notice that this series has the so called ‘omnibus’ format which means the overall story starts and ends within an arc. Here, an ‘arc’ is equivalent to a ‘girl’. So, when the main guy finish establishing a relationship with a certain girl (usually within 4 episodes), the story goes back to start anew in the next episode with different girl but same guy. It’s like a parallel universe where we can see how the main guy ended up with different girls at the end. In addition, the tsundere girl’s arc is in episode 21-24 like i told you before ^_^. You don't have to watch from the beginning. It's okay if you decide to watch those 'tsundere' episodes first.

It’s clear enough, right? Ok, now the decision is yours ^_^.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:34   Link #29
Animeking
Banned

Whisper of the heart
love hina
suzuka
rumbling hearts
magicano
chobits
canvas
school rumble

Hope this helps
Animeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 07:39   Link #30
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

What do you mean by outrageous scenes? If it's about sex i don't mind. What disturbed me in "School Days" was the male protagonist who was a dick
Spoiler for about the end:
Old 2011-10-07, 07:46   Link #31
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

No, no, no. It's nothing like School Days. As I mention before, this series is sweet and funny. What I mean by 'outrageous' is in a funny and pleasant way. Like when a girl character is forced to perform in a super sentai stage show for kids where the 'bad guy' of the stage show 'accidentally' grope her body with tentacles, etc. It's funny and nothing to worry about ^_^.

EDIT: the main guy is decent. Yes, he is a little perverted, but in a normal way (as all boys are ^_^). He's not shy or embarrassing. Also, he's pretty smart.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-07 at 08:01.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 13:44   Link #32
Undertaker

@ Classified Info

In that caes, you might want to drop MM! as the main character in that anime is worthless about 80% of the time. [in a very humorous way though] However, the dynamic of the couple is similar to Zero no Tsukaima in that the girl is a S type tsundere with the guy receiving the abuse. Though in MM! case, the guy actually loves the treatment he's got due to him being an hardcore M.

Baka to Test to Shokanju also have a "worthless" main character. The main character is portrait as a good-hearted idiot, but he tend to pull off in critical situation. I still highly recommend this series because the execution of this series is perfect. IMO, it's one of the very best romance comedy with "worthless" main character. and you should still enjoy it a lot.

In addition to the two series you mentioned, I'll still recommend Ladies v.s. Butler as it is probably closest to Mayoi Chiki in dynamics. Astarotte no Omocha can still be in the conversation as well.

The other title mentioned, Hidan no Aria, Dragon Crisis, ToAru series (Index and Railgun), and Infinite Strato. They are group together because they all have decent amount of action in it, but if you're ok with the amount of action in Shakugan no Shana, then those series won't be an issue and all of them features more character interactions than SnS did.

As for Amagami SS. It's a pure romance series. It is based on visual novel. Usually these type of anime either adapts as a harem anime or they adapt one single route, usually the perceived main female route, and add other character's non/light-romance stories into it to fill the series. Amaigami takes neither approach, instead, it condense stories of each female lead into a 4 episodes arc, with each arc taking place during the same time frame, all have good endings. So basically, each story occurs in a parallel reality that has no connection to each other other than premises of the setting is the same.

It's a very good series, but comedy element varies by girl and some arc you wish it has a few more episodes to them, especially the arc that you like, but it does not diminish that this series does the genre justice the way Kimikiss and Tokimeki Memorial Only Love (the TV series) did. I personally likes Haruka's arc[ep. 01-04] the best follows by Kaoru[ep. 05-08] and Ai[ep. 13-16]
Old 2011-10-07, 17:35   Link #33
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, I watched some, and for further tips i'll tell you my opionions about these animes, so that you'll better understand what will fit better:

Bakemonogatari - I'm new to jap animes, so i couldn't fully appreciate this work; it obviously contains particular characteristics, like the graphic, the story, the thrilling music and all those black/red cuts here and there. It wasn't exactly what i was looking for, but i still think it's a good anime overall, even being a newbie.

Mayoi Chiki - Liked it much; it kinda respected most of my requests, and even though it wasn't exactly an end, a kiss was there to seal something. +1 for this

Shakugan no Shana - Watched the first series and up to episode 7 of the second series; it was similar to Zero no Tsukaima, but since i didn't see any progress in the relation between shana and yuji, i got bored an dropped it (also because it was getting filled with fantasy combats etc)

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi - Watched it, but didn't like it much; it kinda had the many characters that i would have liked, but there wasn't even a shitty kiss in the end. Didn't even like much the Tsundere here, for many reasons.

Mayoi Neko Overrun! - Watched and liked it much; actually it would have been the perfect example of anime i was looking for, but it disappointed me in the end since it didn't actually end. Neither one kiss or confession...

Dragon Crisis - Watched the first 6 episodes, but i find it just too random; we get presented weird characters at the beginning, ryuji's cousin using weird magics like it was normal, people talking about breaker lvl N (what the fuck is a breaker anyway), dragon/girl that loves the protagonist for no apparent reason (the girl looks like a kid, talks like a kid, and actually acts as a pet)...

Asu no Yoichi - watched, but there wasn't any relation development between any of the characters, and it didn't have an end aswell. Hoped till the end for something to happen, but neither an hug was given. Too much combat, wasn't looking for it, and too many things left on the air.

High school of the dead - watched the first episodes, but i just don't like the zombie/apocaliptic background; no matter how many tits and pants shots you throw in there, i don't like the background, and any love story will be ruined, at my eyes, by an hopeless world filled with zombies. Wasn't looking for this.

Didn't watch the below ones yet

Astarotte no Omocha!
Shuffle!
Myself, Yourself
Otome Youkai Zakuro
The World God only Knows
Baka to Test to Shokanju
Hidan no Aria
Amagami SS

But before watching them i wanted to know if they had an END, and if the end was sealed with a kiss/confession/whatever (at least kiss would be needed tho). You told me that Amagami SS contains different arcs for the many girls, so i guess those stories end with something.

Tbh, i don't want to know this kind of particulars, because it would spoil me the story, just tell me what to watch that respects these things, and i'll understand.

PS
Toradora, Mayo Chiki and Zero no Tsukaima were sealed with a kiss; in the first one we had to wait the last episode, but in ZnT it was filled with them, so I would like something like that.

Hope this helps, let me know. Thanks again for your replies

PS2
i'll start watching amagami SS tonight, and will do it from the beginning. 3 episodes aren't enough to entertain me.

EDIT
Watched the first episodes of amagami SS, and i'm liking it. The girl actually didn't need to be Tsundere, it was okay any girl; i said tsundere at the beginning because the animes i watched were all about tsundere, and so i thought it was that genre i liked; i mean, it actually is, but i like even the girl in the first episodes of amagami SS, that isn't tsundere. I think this anime is going to entertain me much. Thanks for proposing it.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-07 at 18:55.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:59   Link #34
Undertaker

If you are looking at definitive end than other than Shuffle none of them have it, at best they have Zero no Tsukima/Mayo Chiki/Mayo Neko type of status quo end.

Closest would be Hidan no Aria, Ladies v.s. Butler, and Infinite Stratos.

Baka to Test to Shokanju are similar to Mayoi Neko but better executed and more entertaining.

The World God only Knows is unique in its execution but too good a series to pass off.

Myself, Yourself and Otome Youkai Zakuro may be a bit too dry for what you are looking for.

That's pretty much what I'll say about those titles, it's your pick now.

Since you mention you're going back to school soon, PM me if your wondering about anything else and I'll post more title.
Old 2011-10-07, 19:22   Link #35
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Don't think I saw this mentioned but what the hell

Asobi ni Iku Yo - This is a rather odd show, I really liked this show(but then I like alot stuff) and well to most I think they would consider it meh which is it but I still managed to have fun with it.
The ending is somewhat ambiguous, I'd say it's up to you on what you want to think.
And also it's quite sci-fi as it involves aliens so to speak.

Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka - Can't believe I missed this one before.
Now I really, really liked this show but I will say that it is rather mediocre by any standards, still doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it
Warning tho it's rather weird at times and has got incest as theme but you don't want to jump the gun there.
But I think if your really not into that stuff then probably best to just avoid it.

Tokimeki Memorial Only Love - Undertaker mentioned this just before and while probably doesn't quite fit in some ways with what you want, I really think this is worth a look.
It will probably feel a little dated(depsite only being what 5/6 years old)and it's abit cheesy/weird I guess but theres something about it I really liked

On the note about Amagami SS, the last arc is what you want but starting from the start is best cause it's a good series overall
Old 2011-10-07, 19:23   Link #36
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

@ undertaker

Thank you for your availability, you have been very helpful.

I won't hesitate contacting you in the near future.

Anyways, i'm currently watching Amagami SS, and just finished the first arc and really enjoyed it. If you know any other similar anime that evolves like it, let me know. Now starting to watch the second arc: at least these arcs got a pleasant end.

Thank you again for explaining me how amagami SS worked and how it was divided in those arcs. I'll watch all the episodes, before starting uni. (btw, the boy got some kind of fetish, since he kisses weird body spots)

@ bonta kun
I don't mind anything related to sex, be it incest or lesbian sex. Sex between men disturbs me much tho (i don't want to be racist or anything, anyone is free to do whatever they like, but i just can't bear these things, so i usually avoid things like that)

Since those titles are new to me, i'll check em all

Once again, thank you for your replies.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-07 at 20:21.
Old 2011-10-07, 20:41   Link #37
Undertaker

I'll just say, if you enjoy Amagami SS so far, you should also enjoy The World God Only Knows. despite more fantastic element, the way story constructed in similar but in a slightly more lighthearted way. The only main difference been that the story is actually continuous... (you'll understand as soon as you finish first few episodes.)

Asobi ni Iku Yo is a very fun title, although it is more of a harem anime than romance comedy while Tokimeki Memorial Only Love and KimiKiss are the opposite, with more romance element but less comedy.
Old 2011-10-07, 21:08   Link #38
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I got what you mean; I already finished the second arc of amagami, next will be TWGOK.

Thank you again for having explained quite clearly every title mentioned: now i have a brighter view of the many animes proposed so far.

Only two days of massacring left. Uni torture will soon begin and leech time away from me. Hope to finish Amagami within sat.

See you

PS
As always, if you come up with any other title, this topic is still open
Old 2011-10-07, 21:22   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Glad to be of any help. I had a feeling that you'll like Amagami SS from the beginning ^_^. That's why I recommend it in my first post. Since you already got so much other titles to watch, I wouldn't add more for now.
Old 2011-10-08, 16:03   Link #40
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished amagami SS and really liked it. Ah
Spoiler for Thoughts about the arcs:

Anyways, if you know any other anime that is similar to the first arc of amagami, let me know (saying this because even non-tsundere girls would be okay. Anyways, take into account that i liked the first arc for Haruka's personality, beside having liked much Junichi's character)

I'll start tonight TWGOK