AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-08-02, 06:11   Link #161
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Also the curly hair complain is dumb just on the fact that her hair has taken different forms as well, in some interpretations she had straight long hair and in other she has had puffy slightly curly hair.
No, it's not dumb. It has the reasoning that makes sense: previous iteration of Starfire have never had a hairdo that bad. See the difference? The complaint is as valid as your opinion which defend this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
In my opinion people are just nitpicking because hating on DC is the trend at the moment (although not all of the complaints are unwarranted).
In my opinion, some people who are calling the wide complaints that the actress look bad as Starfire in the trailer as mere "DC hating trend" really have a hard-time accepting contrasting opinion. It seems they don't realize that many of the people who are complaining are the ones who were legitimately excited for the project until they are let down by the set-photos of Starfire, Beast Boy & Raven and finally the underwhelming trailer.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 10:40   Link #162
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
they could have done a far better job on Star's costume, especially compared to how detailed the Robin costume is. As Obelisk mentioned, this is worse than an average cosplay.

I'll also reiterate that the wig is atrocious.
Is it even her costume though? Apparently she was at a disco party in that scene.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 14:46   Link #163
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Is it even her costume though? Apparently she was at a disco party in that scene.
well that is my hope, to redeem the atrocity they did on the trailer, with her "cospoor"(this is what we call here in BR horrible cosplays like "cospobre" - pobre=poor".) i really hope later she is not wearing that cheap wig and it's still the problem if she not being "orange", because as far i remember she being orange and alien never was a issue for her to live, she never had "secret organizations going for her due to her being allien to do experiments" or things like that which would make her "hidden" her alien appearance.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 22:42   Link #164
BPD Renegade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: at port, docked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
The complaints about Dick Grayson male no sense, there have been many interpretations were Dick ends up hating Batman to an extent, for example, the one from the Teen Titans tv show was definitely unhappy with Batman to the point where he went solo until he founded the Teen Titans.
All the Robins have had beef with Batman at some point in their tenure, but Dick (or Tim) is the least likely to pick up a gun and start murdering people, so the complaints make perfect sense.

Quote:
As for Starfire, that is not her costume in the trailer, it has already been stated that scene takes place after she has just left a nightclub (besides, that outfit isn't stripperific enough to be her costume). Also the curly hair complain is dumb just on the fact that her hair has taken different forms as well, in some interpretations she had straight long hair and in other she has had puffy slightly curly hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Is it even her costume though? Apparently she was at a disco party in that scene.
This is the first I'm hearing about that not being her actual costume, so if this is really the case, I'm glad. As for the wig, it's not that it's curly, it's that it's just plain ugly.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 11:27   Link #165
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
All the Robins have had beef with Batman at some point in their tenure, but Dick (or Tim) is the least likely to pick up a gun and start murdering people, so the complaints make perfect sense.
They're just mixing and matching characterization of characters to write the story they want. They simply used Dick's name because he's the most famous. It's not like anyone knows who Jason Todd is.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 13:08   Link #166
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
They're just mixing and matching characterization of characters to write the story they want. They simply used Dick's name because he's the most famous. It's not like anyone knows who Jason Todd is.
and that can be the problem because while indeed few peoples knows who is jason todd almost everyone knows who is dick grayson and see him doing that crazy things is weird when the character is well know for doing exactly the opposite.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 13:55   Link #167
Millennium Dude
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In America
Raven: Please, can you help me?

Dick: Sorry, I don’t have Zatanna’s number.

Raven: What about Batman?

Dick: ...

That’s always one of the problems with shared universes. If a monster is trying to destroy the world, you’d think that every hero out there would notice and respond to said threat. So the threat would be solved within hours. But knowing the writers, they will probably come up with some BS that would prevent them from resolving the problem within a day or two. Like Robin having gripes with Batman, who could probably help solve the problem. Not looking forward to this shit.

Last edited by Millennium Dude; 2018-08-03 at 14:31.
Millennium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 19:24   Link #168
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think anyone can legitimately complain about an actor not resembling an already-established character in the role.
Anyone can make legitimate complaints. That kind of trash talk I linked to, on that article, and then went to the trouble of quoting? Those are not legitimate complaints.

Please don’t insinuate that it is, mate. You’re better than that.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 20:21   Link #169
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
and that can be the problem because while indeed few peoples knows who is jason todd almost everyone knows who is dick grayson and see him doing that crazy things is weird when the character is well know for doing exactly the opposite.
You're overestimating how many people know stuff about Dick Grayson. All they know is his name, and some anecdotes at most, which is why they used him and not Jason. The vast majority of people are not going to care about discrepancies from how he is presented in the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium Dude View Post
Raven: Please, can you help me?

Dick: Sorry, I donít have Zatannaís number.

Raven: What about Batman?

Dick: ...

Thatís always one of the problems with shared universes. If a monster is trying to destroy the world, youíd think that every hero out there would notice and respond to said threat. So the threat would be solved within hours. But knowing the writers, they will probably come up with some BS that would prevent them from resolving the problem within a day or two. Like Robin having gripes with Batman, who could probably help solve the problem. Not looking forward to this shit.
I get what you're saying, but if they do that, it would just become a live action Justice League show, not Titans.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 21:33   Link #170
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
You're overestimating how many people know stuff about Dick Grayson. All they know is his name, and some anecdotes at most, which is why they used him and not Jason. The vast majority of people are not going to care about discrepancies from how he is presented in the comics.
well to be fair, you have him outside comics, witht he young justice league, with the old titans cartoon series also with the childshi titan go serie, also don't underestimate how popular titans are outside comics, specially dick grayson, the big hate wave anger with a lot of dislikes in the trailer where not for "nothing", the titans are really very popular nowadays specially robin.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 22:00   Link #171
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Anyone can make legitimate complaints. That kind of trash talk I linked to, on that article, and then went to the trouble of quoting? Those are not legitimate complaints.

Please don’t insinuate that it is, mate. You’re better than that.
First, that post of mine is more of a reaction to Sunset's comment which slightly implies that those of us here in this thread who complain about the LA Starfire do so because she's black when the complaints go further beyond that trite notion. Second, I don't care what somebodies in other places are saying, we're not in that place. We're in Asuki and, so far, I don't see anyone attacking the LA Starfire's looks just because she's played by black actress. We criticize her (in the trailer) because she doesn't look good as the character. After all, you didn't see us complaining when Zoe Saldana plays Gamora in GOTG, did you? Why is that? Oh, I know: because she looks good in the role as the character (even though some liberties are taken).
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-04, 09:50   Link #172
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
First, that post of mine is more of a reaction to...
Dude... GDB said that "pretty much no one cares about" a black woman portraying an orange alien. I then posted an article implying otherwise and you replied almost immediately afterward. The thing is that it seems to me that you and some other people here seem to be a bit up in arms about this "legitimacy" thing and I don't think anyone was actually questioning the fact that you can find the portrayal of Starfire bad, because of the wardrobe, the wig, or something. But denying that some of it (maybe not here, but definitely in some places) is just because they cast a black actress that doesn't conform to some "ideal" beauty standard to play her? And then "nah, you're wrong, bruh" the whole thing when it backfires? Ooops, no, it doesn't work that way, man.

Hell, I think they all look and/or fell a hell of lot weird (Dick Grayson and Dove straight up murdering folks? That's just WRONG on so many levels, I just can't even bring myself to start a conversation about it), but I'll just wait for the series to come out and judge it for what it is, then.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-04, 10:17   Link #173
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Dude... GDB said that "pretty much no one cares about" a black woman portraying an orange alien. I then posted an article implying otherwise and you replied almost immediately afterward.
A reaction is not a simple reply. That's why I didn't quote someone specific in my previous post, to make it more general and all-encompassing than just replying to Sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But denying that some of it (maybe not here, but definitely in some places) is just because they cast a black actress that doesn't conform to some "ideal" beauty standard to play her? And then "nah, you're wrong, bruh" the whole thing when it backfires? Ooops, no, it doesn't work that way, man.
I did not deny anything. Internet is vast. You can find any kind of offense in it. But why bringing the racism subject to this forum when the users here never touched it before Sunset's post? Can't we have one nice forum where we can criticize the look of LA Starfire actress without contaminating it with debates about racism?

So, is GDB's "Pretty much no one cares about this part"-line wrong? Well, if he's talking about the overall people on the internet then yes, he is flat out wrong because there are openly racist people out there who made similar complaints. If he's merely talking about the users in this thread then he is right. It's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Hell, I think they all look and/or fell a hell of lot weird (Dick Grayson and Dove straight up murdering folks? That's just WRONG on so many levels, I just can't even bring myself to start a conversation about it), but I'll just wait for the series to come out and judge it for what it is, then.
Well, we're all pretty much talking about the trailer at this point. Not the series yet.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-04, 20:38   Link #174
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
ok toward that issue about "character "standart beaulty" my only real issue is that weird thing about "changing a stablished characters ethnicity for another due to "diversity and lack of black or asian characters in the serie, i really hate it.

It started with blade and wesley snipes, i'm a really big fan of him and loved his blade character but i really, really hated what they made, because if you want a "black character create one" don't change one already existing character for that, specially just because "diversity" cuz now imagine if marvel at one point change black panter to a white guy??? imagine the screams and hate and death wishes going for that guy and marvel and all the war flame, because the character is a black dude not a white, then for me the sames goes when you get a white character and put a "black" or asian actor to do it, i can understand if was a straight dude portraiting a gay dude or the opposite (a gay playing straight) because the guy still white or black or asian or whatever other ethnicity you want, if you want "diversity" create characters for that don't change one already existing like what they did for characters like human touch in the fantastic four where they put a black guy being a adopted brother of the girl because again they wanted a "black guy" in the movie, really sorry man but it don't work like that.

In the case of allien characters which you dont have a way to connect with a specific ethnicity like a humanoid fish or starfire being orange and gamorra i'm totally fine with they being or black or white as long when i look to the character i can see the character "physically not just "mind".
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 11:18   Link #175
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
You're overestimating how many people know stuff about Dick Grayson. All they know is his name, and some anecdotes at most, which is why they used him and not Jason. The vast majority of people are not going to care about discrepancies from how he is presented in the comics.
The vast majority of people are not going to watch this because it's on DC's streaming service and not broadcast television or Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Dude... GDB said that "pretty much no one cares about" a black woman portraying an orange alien. I then posted an article implying otherwise
Pretty much no one doesn't mean no one. If a thousand people care that she's black instead of orange, guess what? Pretty much no one cares. Just because someone compiled a list of asinine tweets doesn't make it a prevailing opinion.

You're the one who jumped in with "A LOT of people care", and use a single "article" as your example. And then you had the nerve to say I was trying to freaking gaslight people? That's BS and you know it. Get off your high horse and stop trying to dismiss actual arguments because "some idiots on twitter are being mean so everyone who doesn't like what they don't like can't possibly not like it for any other reason even though I admit I don't like it for other reasons too".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
ok toward that issue about "character "standart beaulty" my only real issue is that weird thing about "changing a stablished characters ethnicity for another due to "diversity and lack of black or asian characters in the serie, i really hate it.
She's "not white", and DC is cheap. This has nothing to do on their part with trying to spread ethnic diversity and everything with not wanting to use more expensive CGI than necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
It started with blade and wesley snipes, i'm a really big fan of him and loved his blade character but i really, really hated what they made, because if you want a "black character create one" don't change one already existing character for that, specially just because "diversity"
WTF are you talking about? Blade's been black since his debut in 1973.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 11:48   Link #176
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The vast majority of people are not going to watch this because it's on DC's streaming service and not broadcast television or Netflix.
That doesn't exactly mean that they're going to base all their storytelling around what comics fans would want. The point of the streaming service is to make money from more viewers.

Quote:
Pretty much no one doesn't mean no one. If a thousand people care that she's black instead of orange, guess what? Pretty much no one cares. Just because someone compiled a list of asinine tweets doesn't make it a prevailing opinion.
When the majority of the criticism you hear is about that issue, it's hard to brush it off by saying it's not the prevailing opinion, when it really comes across that way.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2018-08-05 at 14:08.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 15:18   Link #177
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
I don't think of it as racism since there are several goddess tier african, asian, hispanic, what have you, actresses out there that can act very well. That is what one would expect from an adult Starfire.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 15:57   Link #178
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
She's "not white", and DC is cheap. This has nothing to do on their part with trying to spread ethnic diversity and everything with not wanting to use more expensive CGI than necessary.
yeah that is my point she is not black neither white is a "hot orange allien girl" simple like that and that is the point if they can expend money to "paint even a little beast boy, why they can't do the same for her???, money for more "paint" ended??? or they could not find a "orange paint" to her??

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? Blade's been black since his debut in 1973.
yeah my bad, i really missed on that it's a long time and i never was a big fan of blade i was more like spider man and x-men on that time, it was really the case of samuel l jackson, or it happened with other hero i don't recall now, but after this we started to get some movies and series which characters being "changed" for the sake of diversity like in flash where iris west and her family are black or in comics when they changed thor for a woman and tried to change iron man for a black girl, that are things i really don't like, i prefer much more what they made with mile morales by not trying to replace the current spider man or when suddenly ice man became gay out of nowhere because "jean told him(brainwashed him) which he is gay) with another for "diversity reasons".

This is why i like much more dc comics, because while they try to adress the diversity they don't go changing important stablished characters for the sake of it and force us on it.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 08:34   Link #179
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty much no one doesn't mean no one.
Semantics. Really?
Well, what did I expect? You guys keep on keeping on, I guess.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 13:46   Link #180
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 32
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.