Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-06-19, 22:08   Link #1921
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
The thing I'm most curious about is how Reinhard brought Felt into all of this when she stole the Royal Crest instead of inheriting it.
I don't think anyone inherited it, but they are given them once they are determined as candidates. Felt became a candidate because Reinhard saw that she was able to activate Emilia's crest. I'm guessing that the crests are enchanted or something and connected with the dragon and only those that can be potential priestesses can activate them.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2016-06-19, 23:25   Link #1922
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wait, if Felix is a male, is there any particular reason why he wore a dress/skirt when he visited Emilia's house? Did he intentionally/genuinely want to be a trap, or the dress he wore is somehow a proper catguy outfit in that world?
Undercover? Subterfuge? *shrugs* He's a knight and even the butler who drive him to the mansion is another fellow knight also in disguise. Perhapss their formal clothes might tip off the opposition that something is up between mister clown and someone inside the council? It does seem odd that the two knights are in disguise just to summon Emilia.
Old 2016-06-19, 23:41   Link #1923
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Undercover? Subterfuge? *shrugs* He's a knight and even the butler who drive him to the mansion is another fellow knight also in disguise. Perhapss their formal clothes might tip off the opposition that something is up between mister clown and someone inside the council? It does seem odd that the two knights are in disguise just to summon Emilia.
The undercover reason did cross my mind, but from whom and for what? Do the knights have their own knightly factions or each of the royal families have some knights serving them?

But don’t answer those questions if they're future plot-points that will be addressed later, just say it as such.
Old 2016-06-19, 23:58   Link #1924
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The undercover reason did cross my mind, but from whom and for what? Do the knights have their own knightly factions or each of the royal families have some knights serving them?

But don’t answer those questions if they're future plot-points that will be addressed later, just say it as such.
All my own theories, but I bet some knights in the Kingdom surely may be taking sides and some may be taking extreme stances on the candidates. I would not be surprised if Reinhart or Felix turns out to be part of the bad guys in this arc.

By the way, can someone explain to me what position does the Astrea family hold in the Kingdom. They seem to have a very extensive military background, power and influence.

Oh yeah, I just rewatch the episode and holy crap their are a lot of big name seiyus doing a lot of the new characters. Man, I hope they're not blowing away the budget too quickly.
Old 2016-06-20, 00:06   Link #1925
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
At least she doesn't seem to be mind controlled, which is something I was expecting.
The first thought I had when I saw Felt was mind control, because her eyes looked rather dead to me. Then again, nervous and somewhat sleep-deprived could also cause that kind of vacant look.

There are only 5 of them, but I have to wonder whether each of the aspirants corresponds to a witch. Emilia would of course correspond to envy. Priscilla is probably pride. Greedy loli is greed. Crusch might be gluttony. Felt doesn't seem to correspond to anything--but neither would you think Emilia does from her behavior. And, of course, we are missing 2.
Old 2016-06-20, 00:27   Link #1926
WhiteKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Uhhh what the heck
They skipped like 80% of content in this episode

Most of them is unimportant, but one major reveal is CRUCIAL to the story.
I seriously hope they revisit this later on.... Sheesh.
I'm pretty sure they will do it with a flashback or something. Priscilla was trying to tell him the second reason in the carriage and then they switched to the castle location. So it's definitely adapted, it's way to important.
Old 2016-06-20, 06:23   Link #1927
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Subaru just seems a little too clingy this episode. Why can't Emilia go to a single meeting by herself? She asked you to trust her, but you can't even do that. I mean Roswaal was with her, and that guy seems to be able to do a lot more than you.

Also, his jealousy is cute, but a little over the top as well, especially with that knight he just met. I think these two really need to have a talk and Subaru needs to know when he's just got to take a step back.
I've seen a lot of people in various places comment about their misgivings toward Subaru's attitude in this episode. What confuses me about these reactions is that the episode literally contains a monologue wherein he explains his motivations for doing the things he proceeds to do. Most importantly: The reasons he gives are extremely valid given the circumstances, and even more valid considering he's both the main character and a deus ex machina.

If Subaru isn't involved and things go south, how is he going to carry all of his friends on his back like he's been doing with those broad, broad shoulders of his for 12 episodes straight? It may be annoying, and it may be clingy, but he's also right. This isn't a relationship issue. This is about everybody around him dying repeatedly and him being the only one able to actually stop it from happening. To do that, he needs to be there, and he needs to be in the loop. It's better he bites the bullet and defies her at the risk of nothing happening, than him sitting idly while something bad happens and him potentially missing a chance to act and prevent it.

As far as the jealousy goes, I agree, but it's a cliche, and it is what it is. That kind of attitude is so overused in characters that I just ignore it unless it becomes a solid part of the character's motivations, and given the situation I doubt it'll be relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I wouldn't say it was that much of a spoiler. No one actually said anything that would happen, only that the touchstone was glowing in Felt's hand, and that only needed to be pointed out because the animators made the glow kind of dim. The rest was mere speculation based on Reinhard's behavior with Felt and the knowledge that the touchstone is meant to identify royalty that was mentioned later. It wasn't spoilers, it was foreshadowing. I didn't read the LN or other adaptations, didn't find any sites that spoiled Felt's background, and still knew what was going on by the time the meaning of the stone was mentioned.
I pretty much assumed this was a foregone conclusion from that very moment. It wasn't even a foreshadowing insomuch as they all but declared exactly what would happen at that very moment. The only thing missing in that scene was Reinhard giving a monologue about it. Honestly, it was probably one of the least subtle things Re:Zero has done thus far.
Old 2016-06-20, 06:27   Link #1928
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I had the weirdest feeling of déjà vu when Subaru went to 'rescue' Priscilla...

Either way, aside from fears being mentioned of supposed skipped content, this anime has been top notch so far.

One of my favourite parts of this series is when the episode reaches the end and cuts to the episode title which is always very fitting.
Old 2016-06-20, 07:17   Link #1929
Ultragunner

that feeling of being on the edge when our MC goes into a room, a valley or meets with strangers

I really like Subaru, much more than the average mc, but why is he still behaving carelessly like this I wonder you at least should be a little more cautious, seriously!!
Old 2016-06-20, 07:18   Link #1930
Gundamx

Just watched the episode, I believed it will be better if they let Subaru enjoy few peaceful days with Rem at the mansion, then hit us with Emilia death at the end of episode, which cause him to act like that in this episode.
Old 2016-06-20, 09:01   Link #1931
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I've seen a lot of people in various places comment about their misgivings toward Subaru's attitude in this episode. What confuses me about these reactions is that the episode literally contains a monologue wherein he explains his motivations for doing the things he proceeds to do. Most importantly: The reasons he gives are extremely valid given the circumstances, and even more valid considering he's both the main character and a deus ex machina.

If Subaru isn't involved and things go south, how is he going to carry all of his friends on his back like he's been doing with those broad, broad shoulders of his for 12 episodes straight? It may be annoying, and it may be clingy, but he's also right. This isn't a relationship issue. This is about everybody around him dying repeatedly and him being the only one able to actually stop it from happening. To do that, he needs to be there, and he needs to be in the loop. It's better he bites the bullet and defies her at the risk of nothing happening, than him sitting idly while something bad happens and him potentially missing a chance to act and prevent it.

As far as the jealousy goes, I agree, but it's a cliche, and it is what it is. That kind of attitude is so overused in characters that I just ignore it unless it becomes a solid part of the character's motivations, and given the situation I doubt it'll be relevant.
I don't really see it like that. You and Subaru has to remember that for each new loop, he is basically starting fresh with these people all over again. Yes, he has memories of the other loops, but only he knows of the danger. He can't expect the others to understand. Also, even if he's feeling this anxiousness because of his previous experiences, I don't think that his action were correct.

Honestly, he's the one who has died the most. Not anyone around him. Emilia has died once, Felt once, Rom twice, and Rem once. Every other time, it's been him. And also to be perfectly honest, though he does know the outcome of the loops and tries to turn the tide, he's really not the saving grace in most cases. And just because there was danger those times doesn't give him the right to demand that he stay with Emilia every time she goes out or know every important thing she's doing. She won't understand his need to, and he needs to understand that he just can't do that, even if there is danger.

Sure he listed his reasons, and I rolled my eyes at all of them. All of them just sounded like over-protection to me. Like a parent who's child got in an accident, and so they can't let the child do anything on their own for fear of something happening. You can understand why he feels that way, but that doesn't make his actions the right ones.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2016-06-20, 09:40   Link #1932
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
I don't really see it like that. You and Subaru has to remember that for each new loop, he is basically starting fresh with these people all over again. Yes, he has memories of the other loops, but only he knows of the danger. He can't expect the others to understand. Also, even if he's feeling this anxiousness because of his previous experiences, I don't think that his action were correct.
Most of the experiences he has in the successful loops are shown to be very similar to the failed ones. By virtue of being successful they are also more complete experiences. It's true that through those failures he has a deeper understanding of the characters around him than they do of him, but their understanding of Subaru is roughly the same as it will ever have been because their exposure to Subaru is fairly uniform. He is most certainly not "starting fresh," however, though I suspect you misspoke by saying so.

As far as anxiousness goes, it's difficult if not impossible to color his anxiousness and paranoia as a mistake. I mention this later in this post, but he has extremely valid reasons to feel the way he does.

Quote:
And also to be perfectly honest, though he does know the outcome of the loops and tries to turn the tide, he's really not the saving grace in most cases.
He's not? Half the characters in this show would be dead without his intervention. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's carried this cast on his back. Most of them would be dead without him. The plot was set in motion before he arrived, he's just taken to correcting it the way he likes. It has been shown in both arcs through his many failed attempts that there was not a single happy ending without his intervention. As for the inconvenient nature of his being protective, that's not something he can really do anything about. He has no choice but to be present for these events, and even if he were absent and something happened (assuming he was able to go back and try to fix whatever happens), he'd just end up having to be present to fix it anyways. He's better off being there to witness every event as it unfolds and accept the consequences of his intervention, than to not be and potentially accept an irreversible consequence. As for Emilia not understanding his need to be there, I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Considering he's saved her life, and the lives of a minimum of the village's children (which was part of Roswaal's demesne, and his responsibility), it goes without saying that his presence is understood. The implication is that it's unwelcome because she either doesn't want him worrying unnecessarily, or because she naively believes that he has no ties to the selection process and she wants to keep him safe by keeping him away from it.

Quote:
Sure he listed his reasons, and I rolled my eyes at all of them. All of them just sounded like over-protection to me.
You're not paranoid if everybody is actually out to get you. In case it wasn't made clear in the first arc, that's what's happening here. You can call it whatever you like, but the reality is that Subaru has legitimate cause to be concerned for the lives of his friends. The story thus far has revolved around this idea, so as a viewer we should expect him to do nothing less. Keep in mind: If Subaru sat in his hotel and acted like her life wasn't in danger, people would complain that he's being naive and trusting that her life won't be in danger despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

It doesn't matter whether Subaru's actions are actually right or wrong. Given the information he has, and given his experiences thus far, he goes with the safest and most correct options available to him. The alternative option is that he does nothing and hopes for rainbows and unicorns, but since this series started out with people being disemboweled I see no reason why anybody, much less Subaru, would actually believe that to be a reasonable course of action.

One last thing I feel is worth mentioning: Subaru's engagement in this event is important to the advancement of the plot concerning him, and he is aware of it even if it hasn't been presented recently. Issues involving the dragon and his prophecies are of great concern to Subaru, as they also concern the witch. The one major mistake Subaru made in this episode was that he went to the court solely to protect Emilia, when in reality he should have done it both to keep an eye on her, and to gain a better understanding of what is happening in this world.

Last edited by Traece; 2016-06-20 at 09:49. Reason: Expansion
Old 2016-06-20, 10:35   Link #1933
Ultragunner

I actually have no problem with Subaru being pushy and demanding (to be in close vicinity of Emilia as much as possible).

But the way he conducts himself in this episode is still his same old self: overly carefree without much care in the world. After all that ordeal and too many things are still unknown, I expected that he would pay more attention to behave, be a less reckless and more cautious.

If he really is being paranoid about unexpected danger to Emilia, he shouldn't be too careless

I dunno, it's hard to describe what I am feeling
Old 2016-06-20, 11:10   Link #1934
tsunade666

^ Its like his not taking things seriously? But people should remember that, that face, is one of his masks. You know. The part during his breakdown. His inner monologue shows that he can fake smile better, he can make them smile more and laugh more. To me, him being reckless is his only way to cope on things and for others to notice him and involved him in the problem. Its hard to solve the case if his not involved in the case. Clueless would he bad but being absent during the event is worst. He won't have a clue on what happen unless he was involved.
Old 2016-06-20, 11:34   Link #1935
Ultragunner

I know, that's why it's frustrating in itself (to me at least)

One hand I understand why he's doing what he's doing (kind of), but on the other hand I wish he had expressed a bit little more level-headedness, he should be aware that in this world not everything is as it seems

Perhaps I am expecting the wrong things from the series, but I do hope that Subaru can change how he approaches new people and things in the future
Old 2016-06-20, 12:24   Link #1936
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I do get what Subaru is thinking, but this can still blow up in this face. If he keeps outright going against what Emilia is asking of him he's going to erode the trust she has in him. At that point he's not going to be able to be around her to watch out for something bad. Needs to pick his spots and his battles. This is about as unnecessary a situation to jump into right now. Roswaal is there, Reinhard is there, a ton of other powerful people are there. Heck it's the daytime, Puck can pop out as needed. This is like trying to bust into the white house to protect the president in case something happens.

I'm not surprised Subaru sees danger around every corner. He's died too many times. Subaru and Emilia are both pretty similar in their focus on helping those around them and putting themselves at risk in the process or at least acting to their potential loss. Both of them are trying to look out for the other and have good reason for their stances. Subaru has seen too much danger around them and knows how easily it can all go wrong.

At the same time Emilia's stance is sensible. Subaru has been there less than a week and died almost 3 times. Feels like someone that if you don't store them away then they'll get themselves hurt. And certainly Subaru is more vulnerable to getting killed than Emilia herself is.

I'm just curious how this plays out. Both are acting with the best of intentions, but there is going to be frustration building up. In the worst case scenario something happens....but after Emilia tells Roswaal to just send Subaru home. Which is entirely possible if he keeps running off on his own accord.
Old 2016-06-20, 12:59   Link #1937
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
The first thought I had when I saw Felt was mind control, because her eyes looked rather dead to me. Then again, nervous and somewhat sleep-deprived could also cause that kind of vacant look.
I'd say Felt has plenty reasons to be nervous right now... and confused, and scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I had the weirdest feeling of déjà vu when Subaru went to 'rescue' Priscilla...

Either way, aside from fears being mentioned of supposed skipped content, this anime has been top notch so far.

One of my favourite parts of this series is when the episode reaches the end and cuts to the episode title which is always very fitting.
Good thing the author seems to be good at naming. And it is a very nice touch, specially for suspenseful cliffhangers.

What a better way to mark a new beginning than going back, but with a twist.
Old 2016-06-20, 16:04   Link #1938
Tenzen12

Quote:

Honestly, he's the one who has died the most. Not anyone around him. Emilia has died once, Felt once, Rom twice, and Rem once. Every other time, it's been him. And also to be perfectly honest, though he does know the outcome of the loops and tries to turn the tide, he's really not the saving grace in most cases. And just because there was danger those times doesn't give him the right to demand that he stay with Emilia every time she goes out or know every important thing she's doing. She won't understand his need to, and he needs to understand that he just can't do that, even if there is danger.

Sure he listed his reasons, and I rolled my eyes at all of them. All of them just sounded like over-protection to me. Like a parent who's child got in an accident, and so they can't let the child do anything on their own for fear of something happening. You can understand why he feels that way, but that doesn't make his actions the right ones.
Eh, I might sound like captain Obvious here, but you do know that for people who aren't Subaru dying once is once too much? Because you sort of sound like it's not that big deal.

If Subaru didn't recklessly and repeatedly involved himself Emilia would be gone for good, Felt would be gone for good, Rom would be gone for good... etc

From other people perspective he might overprotective, but they can think do only because they're still arounf and kicking.
Old 2016-06-20, 16:54   Link #1939
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I know, that's why it's frustrating in itself (to me at least)

One hand I understand why he's doing what he's doing (kind of), but on the other hand I wish he had expressed a bit little more level-headedness, he should be aware that in this world not everything is as it seems

Perhaps I am expecting the wrong things from the series, but I do hope that Subaru can change how he approaches new people and things in the future
Giving him that level-headedness and more cautiousness would kill his character at this point. Not only that, it would have erased that ability he has in drawing people in. I find it hard to imagine that a level headed and cautious Subaru would have earned the trust of the people he has met so far. It's just too out of character to work.
Old 2016-06-20, 18:47   Link #1940
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Priscilla-sama is best priestess.

Did one of these priestesses hired Elsa, I wonder?
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy