AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 17 Rating
Perfect 10 5 21.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 21.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 34.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 4.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-11-14, 10:07   Link #61
LazyHunter

I mean, pirate girl using a cutlass and flintlocks is pretty traditional, but the body shifting is weird. Wonder if it's magic or a Gemstone power.

I just noticed that the surgical scars on Fran's neck were dropped from her design after her first appearance, despite her keeping the "implant on the neck" part. Seems unnecessary.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 10:51   Link #62
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

The damage has already beeen done on this series, I've mentioned numerous times the failings of the overall plot design and the fact it's at this point we none the wiser on the main game. But either way what's important to me is the story of the characters I've enjoyed and saying this I know from the comments about the status of the city by Touma has marked a significant change.

He suspected that many things would return to normal after dealing with the heat and odd monsters. But what we've seen if something different, Academy City will probably never be the same again and I think this represents the barrier between magic and science side crashing down in all it's glory. Though some can argue it has already happened, there will no longer be tip toeing around each other anymore.

from others spoilers yet to be translated, I think a drastic shift in focus is on the way or at least things are ramping up higher.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 11:01   Link #63
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
Also, given that very recently he saw Kakeru using tools and other stuff to fight despite having lost his special right hand, his train of thought probably went "IB can't help me here -> Kakeru did stuff without his right hand -> use materials nearby to improvise like Kakeru would have done in this situation".
Doesn't change the fact that Touma would have come to the same conclusion without the need to think that (wouldn't be the first time he didn't have a need to use IB and needed to use his own intellect, anyone else remember the volume that took place on the plane?). I personally just want the Kamisato bullshit to stop already, it's really dragging the series down, at least in my opinion.
Old 2016-11-14, 11:33   Link #64
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Doesn't change the fact that Touma would have come to the same conclusion without the need to think that (wouldn't be the first time he didn't have a need to use IB and needed to use his own intellect, anyone else remember the volume that took place on the plane?).
I never said he wouldn't. I merely pointed out that given that it's the same day he saw Kakeru do similar stuff and he's on a mission to save him, it's pretty reasonable for the first thing to pop into his mind to be Kakeru.
Old 2016-11-14, 13:47   Link #65
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

And isn't that different to what he did on NT13 when he was on the run before he even met Kakeru.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 14:11   Link #66
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

At that point it was already established Touma grew into a coward after the events of NT9 which has indirectly been encouraged by Othinus so I guess him getting his shit together now that she's not constantly by his side is taking some time.

But as someone who's not exactly enjoying Kamisato, I don't know how to feel with this discussion making it sound like he became more important to the series than Touma himself and if Touma doesn't get his shit together fast like he said he would in NT16, then I just may enter another period of disliking his part of the novels entirely like I did at some point in OT. I'll see for myself when NT17 is fully translated.

...The problem was that back there there were still Accelerator and Hamazura's perspectives, but with that gone I'm not sure what I'll do if I grow to dislike Touma's presence again.
Old 2016-11-14, 14:12   Link #67
Chosen_Hero

^^Don't know if directed at my post if not the you can ignore this:

I distinctly remember Touma basically redirecting the High Priest to stop Akikawa Mie from getting killed, along with many other things he came up with on the fly in the middle of the chase that didn't necessitate IB or where IB was useless. Better yet, the High Priests reason for going so far against Touma was exactly because he wouldn't use IB since he knew it wouldn't be as effective against a magic god (especially one many times stronger than Othinus who could crush it without even trying). So again, that line made no sense and was not needed.
Old 2016-11-14, 15:35   Link #68
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Not directed at you, no, but I certainly agree that Kamisato and his ways shouldn't be a factor in how Touma reasons even if he's the person he's going to save.

Honestly, I'm worried about the importance Kamisato may take in the novels at this point is and that was what I was trying to express because he may have had some decent development but I don't want him to become the second protagonist...
Old 2016-11-14, 15:44   Link #69
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
Honestly, I'm worried about the importance Kamisato may take in the novels at this point is and that was what I was trying to express because he may have had some decent development but I don't want him to become the second protagonist...
seeing how accel wasnt involved in the big plot for 9 volumes now i would have this as a rather big possibility (if i remember correctly the longest time he wasnt involved in major plot stuff was for 7 volumes (OT5 until OT12))

but this time it is the other way around,
the second mc idolized the first mc's way of solving things (not all of it but the general way),
now the first mc will do it to the second

i wonder how fans would rant if that happens
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 18:08   Link #70
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

I suppose if you look at it one way, Touma lives on the science side and usually gets roped into fighting magicians, while Kakeru lives on the magic side and probably ends up fighting espers or gemstones - which would kind of explain them being polar opposites if only he didn't obtain WR so recently. I don't exactly like that he just kind of showed up out of nowhere like he did and is suddenly one of the good guys - his character kind of somewhat screams self insert from a mile away - but it seems that's most likely the direction things are heading if Touma does succeed in saving him.

Though I kind of wish, just this once, that Touma actually fails to save anyone, and everything ends up spiraling out of control (come at me haters.) This would be the perfect moment for Crowley to take the stage honestly, since it would force him to finally accept that he really can't save everyone on his own, which would mean that 1: He needs to make some tough choices, or 2: He asks others for help.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 19:42   Link #71
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

^
He already does 2. Unless you mean what some want like wishing Touma was stuck with a partner for a whole ordeal.
Old 2016-11-14, 21:32   Link #72
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Well, what I meant was that people usually just decide to help him without him asking them to help.

For 1: I mean him having his back up against the wall and being forced to use the IT to finish the job due to being overwhelmed.

For 2: I mean, literally, calling them on his god damn phone and asking for backup, since he like never does this.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 22:24   Link #73
mark1246

Jeez this chapter got me all laughing, and thank you god Js06
Old 2016-11-14, 22:44   Link #74
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
Well, what I meant was that people usually just decide to help him without him asking them to help.

For 2: I mean, literally, calling them on his god damn phone and asking for backup, since he like never does this.
But he does, in fact he's been doing this quite a lot on OT. He tried some times on NT too but without success.

Quote:
For 1: I mean him having his back up against the wall and being forced to use the IT to finish the job due to being overwhelmed.
Haha no, that's something Kamachi is not touching not even witha ten feet pole.
Old 2016-11-14, 23:41   Link #75
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
But he does, in fact he's been doing this quite a lot on OT. He tried some times on NT too but without success.

Haha no, that's something Kamachi is not touching not even witha ten feet pole.
The moment Kamachi start touching on IT is the starting point of the end of the series. The only time where Touma was going to let IT do something is when HP was coming back to Earth which the gaint space rock. Touma have already call IT something which no hope in it.

Well from spoiler people are saying that Kamachi said in his Afterword that this is the end of the Kamisato Mini-Story Arc that started in NT14. So Kamisato will most likey be gone for a bit or at least he will not be at the core of the problem like he bit for the last 4 books. I am guessing that there will be one more Mini-Story Arc like Magic God Invasion Mini-Arc(NT11-NT13) and Kamisato Mini-Arc(NT14-NT17) before moving onto the the next big Story Arc like GRS Arc(OT12-OT22) or Gremlin Arc(NT1-NT10).

It mean we most likey will start something new in NT18 or finish things up which Yuistu if she didn't die in this book because from spoiler it doesn't see like there anything at the end that lead into the next book like NT11-NT16 did but I do not know because there was not many spoiler for this book out there.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-15, 05:38   Link #76
LazyHunter

Spoiler for C2P6-7:
Old 2016-11-15, 06:10   Link #77
entei08

Just had a re-read through old stuff recently, so I remember the magic used by Tsuchimikado against Kumokawa in NT 7 was a type of infection magic.

I like how Touma knows very well why he needs to imitate Kamisato in these situations. He never had a strict method of doing things, he would do whatever fits the situation best that doesn't involve out right harming someone (unless that someone happens to have hurt someone he knew ofc), doesn't matter if it seems cheap. If picking on some Kamisato traits will get the help he needs, then I don't see a problem. He is trying to coerce someone into helping him here, that's not something we see often, not to mention how Luca wasn't even on his side to begin with. This is yet again different to NT 10, where he at least had a clear goal AND a sure-fire method in his head already before trying to convince someone.

That fundamental-mistake-counter though was very Touma-like. Breaking down the basis of the opponent's argument before going in for a strike.

Last edited by entei08; 2016-11-15 at 06:25.
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-15, 06:14   Link #78
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by entei08 View Post
Just had a re-read through old stuff recently, so I remember the magic used by Tsuchimikado against Kumokawa in NT 7 was a type of infection magic.
Yeah it was. I meant the last time someone actually explained the two types of magic and their differences. I think it was Birdway's lecture in NT2.
Old 2016-11-15, 07:32   Link #79
SandyBoi

Question: Can you guys only see Chapter 1 Parts 1-5 and Chapter 2 Parts 1-5? Or has there been more posted? Even after clearing cookies/cache that's all I can see.

I'm only asking because I see others discussing parts which I haven't been able to read.
Old 2016-11-15, 08:15   Link #80
entei08

Right now it's translated up to chapter 2 part 7.
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote