AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-01, 13:27   Link #3001
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Its even more obvious if you read whats written on the sketch. It states: We met again.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-01, 13:28   Link #3002
Hollowgolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
ugh i will be deleting the 2 movies from my memory banks and only allowing the Tv series to persist in my memory. That about sums up what i thought of both movies.

As a Macross fan for over 24 years i am highly disappointed and it takes leaps and bounds for me to be disappointed in something related to Macross. I'm sorry the movies just seems lazy, rushed and almost like a slap in the face to fans and a huge co-out. There is a big difference to how western and Japanese perceive heros. If you are a hero in Japanese culture there's a 99.9% chance that you will not survive an or disappear.

just my personal opinion i know a lot of viewers enjoyed it but i just cant get behind.
Part of it is how American entertainment has conditioned us.

See: The Hays Code for a discussion on why Americans have come to expect their heroes to live.

I still say my favorite video game ending of all time was Lufia II; that was a damn dramatic way to say goodbye to Maxim.
Old 2011-11-01, 13:31   Link #3003
darkplataform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Its even more obvious if you read whats written on the sketch. It states: We met again.

- Tak
Cool , I was just wondering about that
Old 2011-11-01, 13:51   Link #3004
vX-2

I want a Continuation!!!!!

Like five years later or something!!!

Hope the new series build on this...

I do have a question to you guys though...

So all people in/ at Galaxy Fleet = ppl with implants? (except for Sheryl Nome?)

And why would Galaxy fight with Frontier ? (In search for new 'Earth' ?)
I mean now that they have found the Vajra Planet to be most suitable, doesn't it make sense to co-habit and build together?
Old 2011-11-01, 13:54   Link #3005
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vX-2 View Post
So all people in/ at Galaxy Fleet = ppl with implants? (except for Sheryl Nome?)
In Galaxy, it is legal to have implants. Many Zentradi also utilize implants, and the same could be said about other colonial fleets under the NUNS. The Galaxy is not unique in this.

Quote:
And why would Galaxy fight with Frontier ? (In search for new 'Earth' ?)

I mean now that they have found the Vajra Planet to be most suitable, doesn't it make sense to co-habit and build together?
No, Galaxy fought Frontier believing the latter is an obstacle for control of the entire Milky-Way galaxy using the Vajra as a tool to achieve it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-01, 14:09   Link #3006
ChronoReverse

Quote:
In Galaxy, it is legal to have implants. Many Zentradi also utilize implants, and the same could be said about other colonial fleets under the NUNS. The Galaxy is not unique in this.
Yeah, wasn't it actually the other around and Frontier being unique in that they've actually outlawed the implants?
Old 2011-11-01, 14:22   Link #3007
Hollowgolem

Would make for an interesting alternate timeline. The Frontier fails to prevent <edited for spoiler>'s ascent to galactic hive-queen and end up a rag-tag band of survivors fleeing from an army of implanted humans+vajra.

How'd that be for a dark future?
Old 2011-11-01, 14:27   Link #3008
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Though Sheryl Kiss the Galaxy manga suggests if one doesn't have implants they are disenfranchised in Macross Galaxy. Sheryl's parents were dissidents that were killed by the state opposing Galaxy's implant laws.

Here for Galaxy Anonymous the population of Macross Galaxy was disposable. Saving only their skins with intent of taking over Macross Frontier and then the Vajra.

Considering the suspicion of espionage on Grace and Sheryl Frontier and the rest of NUNG likely had investigated Macross Galaxy's actions within itself and without. Treating it as something a rogue a state reaching a conclusion that it is an authoritarian regime in the worst sense possible.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2011-11-01 at 14:41.
Old 2011-11-01, 14:37   Link #3009
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Yeah, wasn't it actually the other around and Frontier being unique in that they've actually outlawed the implants?
But they don't outlaw genetic engineering. Oh, the irony. Though there are unique laws within the Macrossverse everywhere. For example, it is outlawed on Earth to have a full-grown Zentradi.

You are either Miclone, or you leave. Or unless you are Breetai, who is probably still alive... and you can never tell him to Miclone, he'd stomp ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Though Sheryl Kiss the Galaxy manga suggests if one doesn't have implants they are disenfranchised in Macross Galaxy. Sheryl's parents were dissidents that were killed by the state opposing Galaxy's implant laws.
Indeed, but I am not sure how to receive Kiss the Galaxy. To be honest, I have no idea, really. I have a very difficult time fitting the story of KtG into either the TV series or the movies. Its a nice read, but... thats... it.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-01, 14:45   Link #3010
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
There are unique laws within the Macrossverse everywhere. For example, it is outlawed on Earth to have a full-grown Zentradi.
Though we are not sure if those were repealed.

Vividas kicked a suitor's ass still in Zentran form in the middle of nowhere. While Basara serenading in the background.
Old 2011-11-01, 14:49   Link #3011
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
There is an infamous scan from the official movie artbook where Alto sat beside a naked Sheryl who just awoke in midst of what appeared to be medical equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
it would be this:

which is the final version of this one.
Spoiler for .:

Obviously done in the planning of the movie and not a last minute decision, if you check the date written in it
Quote:
To be precise, it's in the Sheryl Visual Collection Final.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but if you check the artist's blog (btw, she's the artist of the Nyan Dra comic), the draft pic was just one of her reactions to having seen the film.

Given Japan's doujin culture, I'm considering it as something of a 'big name fan' reaction - officially sanctioned, but you can't say it's "official history" that Alto came back and woke Sheryl up.

=====

And the discussion about martial law and Sheryl's right to a trial? There's a bit on that in the Alcatraz story from the same Visual Collection.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-01 at 16:32.
Old 2011-11-01, 14:54   Link #3012
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
While Basara serenading in the background.
Yeah, Basara... who also dances with space whales and/or sing against a friggin hurricane in the hopes of tranquilizing it.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-01, 14:55   Link #3013
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Given Japan's doujin culture, I'm considering it as something of a 'big name fan' reaction - officially sanctioned, but you can't say it's "official history" that Alto came back and woke Sheryl up.
And this is where I will exercise my excessive optimism in looking at Kawamori canon.

Because hey, its not unofficial, either.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-01, 15:02   Link #3014
Hollowgolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
<snip>but you can't say it's "official history" that Alto came back and woke Sheryl up.
<snip>
This is Macross. You can't say ANYTHING is official history.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:07   Link #3015
vX-2

how long of a 'break' time b4 the next sequel/ series??

can't wait for it really.... but really like Sheryl char!
Old 2011-11-01, 15:12   Link #3016
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
And this is where I will exercise my excessive optimism in looking at Kawamori canon.

Because hey, its not unofficial, either.

- Tak
I have no objection to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
This is Macross. You can't say ANYTHING is official history.
Yeah you can. Anything that they put in the "chronology" (年表) is "official history".

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-01 at 15:24.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:40   Link #3017
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh boy, i fanboyed the hell out of this film. I need to relax a bit before i start posting comments. For now, all i can say is GREAT WAVE.
Old 2011-11-01, 16:09   Link #3018
Lancel

Quote:
Yeah, Basara... who also dances with space whales and/or sing against a friggin hurricane in the hopes of tranquilizing it.

- Tak
And succeeds. This is Macross 7 after all.

I should probably read this Alcatraz story at a slight tangent.
Old 2011-11-01, 16:21   Link #3019
Tak

Quote:
how long of a 'break' time b4 the next sequel/ series??

can't wait for it really.... but really like Sheryl char!
... you really want me to answer that?

Based on their traditional handling methods, it could be a few years to ... an entire decade!

- Tak

Old 2011-11-01, 16:55   Link #3020
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

years later, good guys win. i accept that.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song