AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-01, 07:41   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Another - Character Discussion - Sakakibara Kouichi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Sakakibara Kouichi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Another fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:54   Link #2
rakusukira

he looks a lot like Sakai Yuji..
haha.. the artist for this anime is the same as SnS .. so i guess there would be a resemblance
Old 2012-02-01, 12:18   Link #3
Miraluka
Banned

To me he doesn't looks like Yuuji, and his voice is Touma's. well... his persistence that lead both to the danger is something they share.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-02-13 at 19:30.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:47   Link #4
DesuX2

Kouichi plays the typical "outsider" role in a horror mystery. To me, he plays it quite well though I do wish he could be a little more assertive. If my classmates did what they did to Kouichi, I would probably corner some girl in the class after school and force her to tell me everything.
Old 2012-02-03, 03:43   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Let's not forget that there was a real 14 year-old boy named Sakakibara, who's quite infamous in Japan. It's not totally impossible that the name might be quite intentionally chosen.
Old 2012-02-03, 09:26   Link #6
LKK

I had a wild thought about Kouichi a couple of days ago. What if he didn't survive his collapsed lung and this is all some sort of afterlife purgatory quasi-reality?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-02-08, 15:34   Link #7
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

lol, sounds like some Angel Beats! shit.

Or maybe he was sleeping this whole time, and everything was all just one dream. He then wakes up to be greeted by 3 students......................
Old 2012-02-09, 11:02   Link #8
mei misaki fan

i think it's too obvious that kouichi died in hospital but there is probably something strange about him because izumi keeps saying that she remembers him from somewhere.
Old 2012-02-09, 17:23   Link #9
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

There's the comment that Mei made. "Your name is associated with death."

They haven't really elaborated on what that means yet.
Old 2012-02-10, 00:37   Link #10
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
There's the comment that Mei made. "Your name is associated with death."

They haven't really elaborated on what that means yet.
Spoiler for info:

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2012-02-10, 11:36   Link #11
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know that, we know that, but that doesn't change the fact that they have not elaborated on it in-story yet.
Old 2012-02-12, 08:19   Link #12
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You know that, we know that, but that doesn't change the fact that they have not elaborated on it in-story yet.
Exactly it can just be that he has a similar name.
Old 2012-02-12, 09:45   Link #13
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Uhhh, so the writer gave him the same name, doesn't necessarily mean anything in-universe.
Old 2012-02-15, 00:01   Link #14
DesuX2

Dengar, some people have pointed out that
Spoiler for disagreement:
in the latest episode thread, and I'll keep it at that.

I find it eerie that Kouichi Sakakibara has so many similarities with the protagonist of Higurashi.

Spoiler for Kouichi and Keiichi's BIG SPOILERS:
Old 2012-02-15, 11:29   Link #15
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I haven't read the novel, so I wouldn't know that, since the anime did not elaborate.
Old 2012-02-15, 12:07   Link #16
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
Dengar, some people have pointed out that
Spoiler for disagreement:
in the latest episode thread, and I'll keep it at that.
What?on the contrary the novel reader said:

Spoiler for comparison between novel and episode 1:
Old 2012-02-15, 13:07   Link #17
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
I find it eerie that Kouichi Sakakibara has so many similarities with the protagonist of Higurashi.
[...]
I kind of wonder if Kouichi was semi-based off Keiichi.
I doubt that Ayatsuji actually took Ryűkishi's work as an inspiration. Kouichi is not really an exceptional character and the events sorrounding him are only slightly similar to those of Higurashi's protagonist Keiichi.
I think most around here aren't really used to Japanese horror and mystery stories, therefore everytime one comes along it seems very novel and innovative. While I don't want to put Another or Higurashi down (I like both of them in their own way) they aren't the only ones like that in this genre by far. The secluded village (inaka) has become as much a trope as the backwoods in American horror and of course an unknowing protagonist goes back to archetypes of Poe's gothic horror which laid groundworks for much that is done today.

Drawing parallels between cotemporary works can be very enlightening, but I think that these two characters are only so vaguely similar on a trope level that we can't really say anything about possible inspiration ... even though of course I wouldn't rule it out, but normally (as seen even in the anime) Ayatsuji is very outspoken about his inspirations (King, Saul, Poe, old movies, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What?on the contrary the novel reader said
Just to clear up any remaining misunderstandings, here is an excerpt from this part of the novel. It happens pretty early in the story (chapter 2, p. 79-82) and was partly included in episode 1 of the anime...only that the whole scene is much longer in the novel than just a few sentences. I think the anime did a pretty good job of capturing that scene, but not having experienced the Sakakibara scare during the late 90's many viewers in the Western world wouldn't capture on to the hint towards it (Japanese media are still going on about the case when it comes to juvenile crimes).

Spoiler for mild novel spoiler:
Old 2012-02-23, 03:20   Link #18
DesuX2

Many thanks to haguruma for pointing that out, I never read the novel before but that bit does explain quite a lot why Kouichi protects Mei so much. If only this part of the novel was fleshed out in more detail in the anime...
Old 2012-05-16, 23:23   Link #19
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I don't know if this would be the right place to talk about this but. . .
Spoiler for My Question about Kouichi:

Spoiler for Possible Supporting Evidence:
Old 2012-05-17, 02:10   Link #20
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Okay, let's do this right this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I don't know if this would be the right place to talk about this but. . .
Spoiler for My Question about Kouichi:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for Possible Supporting Evidence:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Tags