AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-22, 03:27   Link #61
HasuMasu
*Artist

Dammit, I can only read what little romaji there is around here.

Though next year Foreign Language classes will be mandatory in my school, my parents will probably have me take Mandarin--so for now no dice with written Japanese.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 03:27   Link #62
Tatsuyama Asuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Tatsuyama-san, could you check out the short videos of animation from outside Japan that I posted here? I want to know what you think of them if you don't mind.

Could you also tell me if you have watched any animation from outside Japan before? And if you have, what did you think of it?
返事が遅れて申し訳ありません。
I'm sorry.It apologizes for the reply having been overdue.

動画はまだ見ていません
I don't see animation yet.

今、ネットの接続環境が悪く再生するのが困難だからです。
Because connection environment of the Internet is poorly,reproduction is difficulty now.

改善し次第、見ようと思っています。
I think improve then,Check it.

西洋のアニメはいくらか知っています。
I know several western animation.

例えば、ディズニー、スヌーピー、トムとジェリー、スパイダーマンなどです。
For example,Disney,Snoopy,Tom&Jerry,Spider man etc.

私は子供のころからトムとジェリーを知っています。
I have known Tom&Jerry since I was a child.

トムよりジェリーの方が好きです。
I like Jerry than Tom.

ですが、私の知識は大したことありません。
I have Information, But It was no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post

Though next year Foreign Language classes will be mandatory in my school, my parents will probably have me take Mandarin--so for now no dice with written Japanese.
それは残念です
It is unlucky.

ですが、中国語は大事です。
But,I think Chinese is important.

おそらく、私の母も私に中国語を学ばせるでしょう。
Probably I am studied Chinese by my mother.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-22 at 23:04.
Tatsuyama Asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 04:28   Link #63
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuyama Asuka View Post
それは残念です
It is unlucky.

ですが、中国語は大事です。

おそらく、私の母も私に中国語を学ばせるでしょう。
Oh I'm sure I'll find the time--eventually.

Vexx here said he started at...50? I guess I have quite a bit of time, then.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 05:41   Link #64
word sux

spoken Japanese isn't too hard it seems.

but written Japanese is very hard! kanji makes my head hurt.

does learning english seem hard to someone who is japanese??
Old 2012-03-22, 05:50   Link #65
Qikz

Quote:
Thanks fror replying to me.

僕は東京部に住みたいですけど、場所はどうでもいいだと思います。

I want to live somewhere near tokyo, the place doesn't matter.

僕は自分の日本語先生ですから、一人で勉強をしたいでした。

I'm my own teacher because I wanted to learn alone. ^^

一人で勉強をする方が楽しいだと思いますから、勉強の為にしたいことをするかもしれない。^^

Studying alone is more fun I think, because you'll do what you want to do to study.

例えば、勉強の為に僕はアニメを見たり、漫画や諸説を読んだり、音楽を聞いたり、たくさんゲームを遊びまし た。

For example, to study I've watched anime, read manga and novels, listened to music and played lots of games.

それは完璧な勉強方法ではないです。分かります。でも、僕的には、それは一番です。

That isn't the perfect study method. I understand that. But for me personally, it's the best way.

ちなみに、直すこともありがとうございます。

By the way, thanks for the corrections.

最初から僕は「に」と「で」の使う時がよく分かりませんでしたwww

From the start I've had trouble understanding the right time to use 「で」

あなたのおかげで分かりになるだと思います。 (^ω^)
Thanks to you, I think I'm starting to understand it. ^^
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 07:51   Link #66
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

こんばんは!
Good evening!

私は東南アジア人です。
I am a Southeast Asian person.

私にはアニメは素晴らしくて面白いと思います。
To me, I think anime is wonderful and interesting.

アニメが大好きです!私の一番好きなアニメは魔法少女まどか★マギカです。
I love anime! My number one favorite anime is Mahou Shoujo★Madoka Magica.

では、質問です。「美樹」この姓は実際に存在するか?
And so, here's a question. Does the surname [Miki] (using the kanji 美樹) really exist?

私の日本語はあまり上手じゃありませんから間違いを許してください。
My Japanese is not that good, so please forgive any mistakes.

-コールドライト
-Coldlight
Old 2012-03-22, 08:05   Link #67
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just got back from work and I’m so sorry for not saying hi to the OP.

@Tatsuyama-san
(simple-English-mode ON) Nice to meet you! We are very happy that you join here in Animesuki. As a Japanese, your POV (point of view) is very needed here. Can I ask you something?
1. Can Japanese people read alphabetical letters as good as Japanese letters?
2. Do Japanese people often confused in saying the letters “L” and “R”?
3. If number 2 is yes, then how can you differentiate English words whenever people saying “R” and “L” sound? For example, how do Japanese say the English word “ROCK”? Is it different from saying “LOCK”?

@Forsaken Infinity
Quote:
It's complicated but I stand by my claim that English offers a larger vocabulary than most languages. Perhaps I should say more ways to express yourself rather than use a technical term like vocabulary though.
Yes, I think “vocabulary” is not the best term for what you wanted to say.

Quote:
Also, English isn't consistent and it doesn't need to be. It's inconsistency is part of its charm. And just because it isn't consistent doesn't mean it's hard to pick up. It's really easy to pick up functional English not only because the language doesn't punish you harshly even if you mess up (compared to languages like Chinese or Vietnamese or Sanskrit or Arabic) but also because our world is saturated with it.
I'm afraid can’t fully agree with the bolded statement. At least most people that I know and talked to since I was born say that one of the reasons (speaking) English is difficult is due to its inconsistency between letters and the actual sounds. When you come from a non English-speaking country (at least from where I from), speaking English is more difficult than speaking Arabic, German, or Japanese. Also, I wasn’t talking about whether a language punish you harshly or not but the difficulty in learning to be correct.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:00   Link #68
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
それは残念です
It is unlucky.

ですが、中国語は大事です。

おそらく、私の母も私に中国語を学ばせるでしょう。
你知道华文?

You understand chinese?
Old 2012-03-22, 17:49   Link #69
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yes, I think “vocabulary” is not the best term for what you wanted to say.
Perhaps but it suffices or rather, I can't think of a better term. So for the lack of a better term etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I'm afraid can’t fully agree with the bolded statement. At least most people that I know and talked to since I was born say that one of the reasons (speaking) English is difficult is due to its inconsistency between letters and the actual sounds. When you come from a non English-speaking country (at least from where I from), speaking English is more difficult than speaking Arabic, German, or Japanese. Also, I wasn’t talking about whether a language punish you harshly or not but the difficulty in learning to be correct.
Spoken English (and any other language) is a different beast. But English is a lot more forgiving than other languages even in that regard. Languages like Arabic, Chinese etc. require you to pronounce things correctly or you won't be understood. Not the case with English. Even with barely legible pronunciation, functional communication is possible in this Language. There are millions of people who can barely speak English but manage to communicate with English speaking people on a regular basis for their work nonetheless.

In any case, what's more important is being able to read and write. And English is really not that hard to learn in that regard. At least not to just pick it up. Despite its inconsistency. Inconsistency matters only when you try to master a language. To reach a functional level, one that lets you converse everyday matter is really not that hard. The biggest problem with most foreign students of English is that they assume the language is difficult. And that they rely too much on dictionaries rather than on their own inherent ability to infer the meaning.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:15   Link #70
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Perhaps but it suffices or rather, I can't think of a better term. So for the lack of a better term etc.

Spoken English (and any other language) is a different beast. But English is a lot more forgiving than other languages even in that regard. Languages like Arabic, Chinese etc. require you to pronounce things correctly or you won't be understood. Not the case with English. Even with barely legible pronunciation, functional communication is possible in this Language. There are millions of people who can barely speak English but manage to communicate with English speaking people on a regular basis for their work nonetheless.

In any case, what's more important is being able to read and write. And English is really not that hard to learn in that regard. At least not to just pick it up. Despite its inconsistency. Inconsistency matters only when you try to master a language. To reach a functional level, one that lets you converse everyday matter is really not that hard. The biggest problem with most foreign students of English is that they assume the language is difficult. And that they rely too much on dictionaries rather than on their own inherent ability to infer the meaning.
I agree with this statement. At least in my country's case, as it's more or less the next language we can learn asides from Tagalog and our respective provincial dialects. Yes, each province in the Philippines has their own language. Mine is Visayan, which is regarded as the Filipino equivalent of the Kansai dialect.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 03:33   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I was exactly talking about learning to master, not learning just to achieve minimal communication requirement. And in speaking department, English is more difficult to master than Arabic, Japanese, or German for people in non English-speaking country (or at least in mine).

I studied Arabic, since I read Qur'an, and it doesn’t have as many difficult sound as in English. Many people who studied Arabic & English in my country also think spoken Arabic is easier than spoken English. Of course, you can only get that kinda opinion/comparison from people who studied other languages beside English & their mother languages. Also, since you’re talking about minimum communication requirement, Arabic is not that ‘cruel’. Here’s a story: just a year ago, my parents went to Mecca, Medina, and Jedda for pilgrimage. Their Arabic is far from stellar yet they managed to communicate with the Arabs just fine. They can even bought many things from some Arab merchants. It’s obvious that they didn’t just talk/communicate to well-educated Arab people but also ordinary ones on the streets. That proves that for communication purpose, Arabic is not as strict as you said.

Quote:
I wasn’t focusing on reading English texts or written English, so, I’m not gonna comment much on your post about that. Basically, I agree with it.

I really really don’t want to continue this argument here since this is not what this thread is for. I feel sorry for the OP if we still continue this here. You can PM or VM me if you still want to talk about this.
Old 2012-03-24, 07:31   Link #72
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I agree with this statement. At least in my country's case, as it's more or less the next language we can learn asides from Tagalog and our respective provincial dialects. Yes, each province in the Philippines has their own language. Mine is Visayan, which is regarded as the Filipino equivalent of the Kansai dialect.
Yes, I find almost everyone around here can at least understand English well enough that you can live here without knowing a single word of the native language. It's probably because even our public schools teach English, and every private school we have has English as the primary mode of instruction.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:56   Link #73
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Hi, I want to give my thanks for opening this thread and take this chance to interact.

I will keep my English as simple as possible and not asking questions that go beyond your scope of knowledge.

Anime is quite well known in my country, Mexico, since about the 1970's.

The problem with anime in México is that mainstream viewers are too narrow-minded and only limit their options to:
Saint Seiya, Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon, Naruto, Dragon Ball, Digimon, Pokemon, Card Captor Sakura, Mazinger Z, or other few mainstream anime that were broadcasted in free TV networks and garnered massive fanbase supports.

Mainstream viewers in my country are and have been exposed to those anime that I've already mentioned for years over and over, and they don't realize that the world of anime out there is even vast or don't have knowledge that there are thousands of anime out there that would never be broadcasted in my country due to common issues like securing copyrights for licensing, broadcasting, and distribution of new anime shows in our TV networks.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 13:01   Link #74
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
English is a multi-cultural polyglot language that has slurped up words from all over Europe, extinct languages, and now all over the world. Naturally, its full of duct tape, gum, goo, and wirewrap. Languages that were fairly regionally isolated (like Japanese or Scandinavian languages) are very simple in some respects but usually have advanced levels in nuance of social references (class, intimacy, etc).
I don't know about Scandinavian, but Japanese language wasn't that isolated until 17th century. Before 17th century, for one reason or the other, much exchange existed between Japan, Korea, China, Okinawa ( Okinawa wasn't formerly annexed into Japan until 19th century ), and southeast Asia, which can be found in various older forms of Japanese Language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_Japonic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_language#History

While it isn't as mixed up as English, since no other language is as 'mixed' as English, Japanese language should be about the middle, if not at the higher end, in terms of amount of 'foreign' influence in the language. Some of this 'foreign' influence is now hard to trace because much of the historical documents in the neighboring countries were lost due to Japanese invasions and civil wars.
Old 2012-03-25, 14:43   Link #75
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Christianity, particularly Catholicism is commonly used this way. Enough so that Western Anime fans even have a term for it: Anime Catholicism, or to reference the most glaring error that we often see "Nuns are Mikos." (Nuns are actually quite different from Mikos. The image most Westerners associate with Nuns is an elderly woman wielding a ruler that will be used to punish you for some mistake you made.)
Wow, though it looks like the Japanese fellow has overlooked your post you just explained something to me for the first time. Of course, I know of shrine maidens and have taken several Japanese history courses, but I somehow never made the connection. I recall watching School Rumble when it was airing (I would have been 15-16) and being very confused by the blonde-haired character that was 'studying' to become a nun after school... Now I feel dumb.

As for me, if you feel like translating this, I became very interested in anime following the airing of Dragon Ball Z when I was about 12 years old. Searching for online fan sites first introduced me to this website and BitTorrent, a program that used to be widely used to download anime (not sure anymore). For the next several years I watched anime from all genres. One of my favorites is a classic at this point: Maison Ikkoku.

I do not enjoy anime culture very much, however. I just appreciate entertaining fiction and anime has a wide variety of different stories to choose from. I also find Japanese culture interesting in its own right; in fact I am probably much more enthralled by Japanese history than any of their media at this point in my life. I am watching much more Western television than in my teenage years and have trouble finishing an anime I start. I keep trying, though, and anime will always be something I remember fondly.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:45   Link #76
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:

oh just use rikai-chan.
Old 2012-03-25, 22:44   Link #77
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
oh just use rikai-chan.
I'm afraid I don't know who that is.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:06   Link #78
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know who that is.
Not who, but what.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:27   Link #79
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Not who, but what.
Sounds like a horror movie line.

Quote:
"Hello, who is this?"
"Not who, but what."

"Someone's out there."
"Not someone, something."

Anyway, it's a Firefox add-on and I use Chrome.
Old 2012-03-27, 23:50   Link #80
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Out of interest, how do you feel about how most of the LN artist talent out there used to do the oldest trade in pen and tablet? One thing I noticed is Manga and Korean Artists did not have a previous reputation of being hentai artists but most if not all LN artists fall into this artist style

Quote:
We’ve got a lot of followers who are looking to become mangaka, and there’s something I noticed about their works – I’d like to write a bit about what we’ve noticed.

It’s about art – there seem to be few people who can draw cool looking men. Especially their faces. People who can draw a man who looks cool to other men, with a sense of sex appeal. Are there no rookies about who can do that…

[...]

Looking at recent contributions, everyone can draw cute girls. But however you look at it they put no effort into men. I suspect those who can draw cool men will command the next era in manga (though this is an exaggeration). Keep trying! "

Tags
anime, japan, manga, question