AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-12-20, 14:48   Link #241
magnuskn

Yeah, "several episodes-long flashback" is undercooking it a bit. It was basically half the season and dragged on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long.
Old 2023-12-21, 14:36   Link #242
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Honestly felt like the show regained some of it's energy when Anne reached her breakthrough. But it makes sense. In the position she's in now just accepting the result of wiping out humanity just wouldn't feel right. All the more so with how it would break Helck no matter how firmly he resolved himself to it. A much harder road, but one she can race down with a smile on her face compared to the alternative.

I just had a good time with her blasting attacks everywhere and laughing like a maniac. Really brought back some of the fun to the show. The situation is horrible but sometimes you need to take a breath and find the joy again.

The flashback saga was huge and a lot! Just...a lot!

But overall I still enjoyed the show. I can't complain too much on the flashbacks since I was asking for answers often. I'll kind of miss this one.
Old 2023-12-21, 16:31   Link #243
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I thought the flashback wasn't too bad, but it did feel longer than usual. At the pace the manga-to-anime ratio was(~3 chps/ep), it should have been only 4 eps, 5 max(only 13 chapters), but I'm not sure if it was adapting the side/extra chapters into the main story to pad it some or not.

Overall I thought it was a solid series. I wish the budget was a bit higher, especially during the stronger points of the narrative and impactful battles, but it was barely decent with the exception of the beginning ep and parts of the last ep. While they did adapt all the story elements, judging from the comments here as a base, it may have been better to trim a bit of the fat to get the full story(if 24 eps was all we were going to get) as well as expedite the narrative of the story. For those that want to continue in the manga, the anime left off at chapter 70.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-21, 21:45   Link #244
Alchemist007
*Author

This show had enough moments and narrative to keep it entertaining; the flashback arc really just needed to be more concise.

7/10
Old 2023-12-22, 08:58   Link #245
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, "several episodes-long flashback" is undercooking it a bit. It was basically half the season and dragged on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long.

But that's accurate to the manga though.

And I don't think there was any other way to convey the information we needed. We wouldn't know anything about Alicia, Edil, or Cless if not for it. We would not know why Helck had that dark aura around him nor the falseness of his smile if not for it. It was meant to pull the rug from under you to show it was a lot darker than it appeared.

It worked for me, but I was a manga reader who was into that.
Old 2023-12-22, 14:22   Link #246
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
But that's accurate to the manga though.
I think accuracy to the manga is pursued too often in anime adaptations. I understand that a vast army of readers will come down upon you like a ton of bricks if you don't include some beloved but obscure scene. But that's what adaptation is all about. Being true to the manga doesn't guarantee a good anime; often it works against the adaptation.

We watch 500-page novels turned into two-hour movies all the time. The level of whining in those cases never seems to reach the heights I see in anime discussions.

In this case, accuracy to the manga resulted in a major detour that detracted greatly from the anime's pacing. By the time we got back to our main trio it was too late.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-23, 22:06   Link #247
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think accuracy to the manga is pursued too often in anime adaptations.
This
Except it isn't pursued, since that makes it sound like they are trying. It's the opposite. Their brain is off-sies.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote