AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-13, 16:47   Link #41
grecefar

To be honest I could see a little resemblance but it was just a thought that he was related to wizard girl.

Now, please someone tell me that's it from him?, he is not going to join the party or become a important character, because I was tempted to drop this chapter, I barely finish it because of him.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 17:41   Link #42
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
To be honest I could see a little resemblance but it was just a thought that he was related to wizard girl.

Now, please someone tell me that's it from him?, he is not going to join the party or become a important character, because I was tempted to drop this chapter, I barely finish it because of him.
They have done pretty good work with character arcs in the past, he is insufferable though so I don't know how their going work with him
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 17:58   Link #43
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Guess one small thing to add, I don't know why Annoying Boy resents GS for disregarding the troll, but focuses on the goblins. Seems kinda backwards. Wouldn't acknowledging the goblins validate his sister's getting killed by them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Review done. Adaptation content skipped/changed below.

Spoiler:
Appreciate the extra details =03. Sadly, this is quite a lot of content skipped. Though that content might be extra and unimportant in itself, I can see the importance of it for establishing the danger and ingenuity of the goblins that is missed once GS's party comes into play. We do get the actually see this in the first episode(of s1), and ofc GS's party gets into some tiffys in arcs, but its a bit different seeing another team get completely outwitted and/or overwhelmed and meeting their ends, esp considering the nature of those ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
One can only hope he sees how pathetic he is and gives up on GS. I think the young warrior and the priest warrior girl(from s1, ep5; their titles escape me) could use a mage as I don't see any young mages from their rank(at least shown in the anime). With only 1 spell, no combat skills, and how weak as s*** the magic was, he useless with GS party. I mean, I can harken on and on about how he could have gotten them killed and falling into every trap, but the kid is just annoying as f*k, I also pray he is gone by next ep.

Now that I think about it, Priestess must be special to be able to cast 3 spells in one day(if not more at this point), and have 4 different spells too. The only other caster(the one with the ponytail, s1ep5) and annoying boy can only use it once a day.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 18:21   Link #44
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, kinda unexpected. Obvious in hindsight, once it was mentioned, it was easy to tell. Also surprised to see GS getting emotional to this extent. I always thought he had a "oh well..." philosophy about adventurers getting offed by goblins. Though its possible he always felt that way and just never showed it, I'm guessing he had particular feelings because of 2 reasons; Annoying Boy's older sister, and him doing the killing. Still wouldn't have expected him to ball up in an alley crying his eyes out. It doesn't really feel like GS to me, to be honest.
It's been a long time since S1 but I recall him always going out of his way to save newbies from Goblins. He did act coldly, but the fact Negima lost his older sister to Goblins just like he did all those years ago and it was because he didn't make it on time hit him especially hard.
Old 2023-10-13, 19:08   Link #45
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's been a long time since S1 but I recall him always going out of his way to save newbies from Goblins. He did act coldly, but the fact Negima lost his older sister to Goblins just like he did all those years ago and it was because he didn't make it on time hit him especially hard.
To be more accurate, GS takes on Goblin Quests with a certain priority. Any that have known female hostages are his priority, followed by those that don't, and then any that have Adventurers already sent out to deal with them. That's specifically because if they succeeded then he didn't waste time and if they failed he can deal with the Goblins after they've been softened up/rescue any survivors.

Priestess' party was the main exception because Guild Girl told him about them, likely after he just came back, and so he went there to handle it right away. Priestess wanted him to intercede on another party's behalf out of fear what happened to her party would happen to them, but he refused back then to deal with the fortress nest. That party came back alive.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, Priestess must be special to be able to cast 3 spells in one day(if not more at this point), and have 4 different spells too. The only other caster(the one with the ponytail, s1ep5) and annoying boy can only use it once a day.
Priestess is considered a prodigy since she gets three casts a day when the average is a single cast for rookies starting out. And the fact that she gets as many spells as she had by her Goddess. This likely ties back to the fact that she was one of Illusion's favored PCs, considering she first gained access to her healing miracle five years ago (see Goblin Slayer Year One), but she fumbled the dice as per usual and chalked Priestess up for dead since one of the rules the Gods have is that none of them will contest the rolls of the dice.

That was cut content from the first Volume, by the way. The anime basically cuts out any interludes featuring the Gods like Truth, Illusion, Abundance, etc.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-10-13 at 19:31.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-13, 19:54   Link #46
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
A minute into episode 2...can a goblin please kill this annoying kid? Every word out of his mouth is purely annoying. Please let this guy not be in too much of this season! Thank god though. At least they aren't insane enough to send the Priestess and this stupid kid completely by themselves. Let's send the regular group, but just have the Priestess (as much as possible) lead the party. Shows that she can handle herself and pull a group together.

Yeah, really not a good sign when the kid avoiding getting crushed because he slipped on some blood is "dang it!" What an impressive idiot though. Stupidly walks into an obvious and identified trap, sounds the alarm, and then doesn't think twice about why he's suddenly hearing screaming! Gee, I wonder if the goblins heard the alarm and then tortured that girl some more to make her lure him in!? And tough break there about his sister. She wasn't nearly as annoying as him.

That ending was a bit weird. I really doubt that's the first and only adventurer he had to mercy kill. I'm sure having a relative show up suddenly would be a bit tough. But enough to completely break down? I guess so, since that's what happened.

While it's too bad to lose some details about why that other party fell. If it gets through this annoying kid segment faster I'm all for some cuts.
Old 2023-10-14, 23:11   Link #47
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

She's beautiful
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-15, 02:45   Link #48
Tenzen12

Quote:
Yeah, kinda unexpected. Obvious in hindsight, once it was mentioned, it was easy to tell. Also surprised to see GS getting emotional to this extent. I always thought he had a "oh well..." philosophy about adventurers getting offed by goblins. Though its possible he always felt that way and just never showed it, I'm guessing he had particular feelings because of 2 reasons; Annoying Boy's older sister, and him doing the killing. Still wouldn't have expected him to ball up in an alley crying his eyes out. It doesn't really feel like GS to me, to be honest.
I think it was always obvious that that GS is terrible with expressing himself rather then being indifferent. I mean it was already established he doing what he does so other people don't have to expirience stuff he did. And with mage kid he literaly-literaly failed do exactly that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Could it be that people at the guild have no idea what they are doing? The cleric gets pulled along... uhm duh?
Not sure that guild actually knows how healers work, until they want to imply that that particular group doesn't need healing at all?
Especially considering the costs of potions, even just healing after combat should at least earn her the right to promotions up to silver...
Goblins Slayer is very good with utilizing priestes and she did found her niche in party, but she is nowhere close to capabilities of other members and this episode proved that point.
Old 2023-10-16, 01:17   Link #49
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Priestess is considered a prodigy since she gets three casts a day when the average is a single cast for rookies starting out. And the fact that she gets as many spells as she had by her Goddess. This likely ties back to the fact that she was one of Illusion's favored PCs, considering she first gained access to her healing miracle five years ago (see Goblin Slayer Year One), but she fumbled the dice as per usual and chalked Priestess up for dead since one of the rules the Gods have is that none of them will contest the rolls of the dice.

That was cut content from the first Volume, by the way. The anime basically cuts out any interludes featuring the Gods like Truth, Illusion, Abundance, etc.
A shame; as an anime-only watcher, it seem like an interesting component of the show was removed. Would have made that sequence in the Archbishop arc where he nearly gets killed make a little more sense or at least understand the significance of it(there was a dice roll, but it meant nothing to an anime only watcher[or just me =0b])
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
She's beautiful
Is that sarcasm? I can't tell . Though HEA had some nice shots in the episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I think it was always obvious that that GS is terrible with expressing himself rather then being indifferent. I mean it was already established he doing what he does so other people don't have to expirience stuff he did. And with mage kid he literaly-literaly failed do exactly that

Goblins Slayer is very good with utilizing priestes and she did found her niche in party, but she is nowhere close to capabilities of other members and this episode proved that point.
Sure, I can agree that it's more of him having difficulty expressing himself(in hindsight, this was the case in the flashback when Cow Girl was going to the city), but as far as his actions against goblins goes, is he really doing goblin slaying because he doesn't want others to suffer at the hands of goblins and/or experience what he went through, or is he doing it for revenge against all goblins for his sister? Cause as far as I know, it was the latter. Although both inherently comprise the same results, nor are mutually exclusive to one another, the nuance is important.

Also with Priestess, sure she is not on the same level as the others in general, but this assignment is focused on her capability to lead, which she did well enough to a point. There were no problems until dumba** ignored 4 silver-ranked adventurers AND the leader for the party, fell for an obvious trap(that only he fell for), then rushed ahead and got stuck in a room full of enemies, completely helpless, putting the entire party in a bad situation. Its only natural she couldn't make decisions on the fly in an emergency moment. I feel at least she might be good enough to go to the next rank(though def not silver like AC-Phoenix suggested), though leading the party up to the emergency moment might have been made much easier because they were people she could trust and were veterans, so they reacted to her inputs well.

Last edited by frubam; 2023-10-16 at 01:28.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-16, 02:19   Link #50
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Of course
I couldn't help noticing that the Elf's ears also changed length throughout the episode

What's sad is the ED is SO lovely, it shows that even these female character designs could be good if they actually put in the effort
The guys, well, hmm

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-16, 06:23   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Also with Priestess, sure she is not on the same level as the others in general, but this assignment is focused on her capability to lead, which she did well enough to a point. There were no problems until dumba** ignored 4 silver-ranked adventurers AND the leader for the party, fell for an obvious trap(that only he fell for), then rushed ahead and got stuck in a room full of enemies, completely helpless, putting the entire party in a bad situation. Its only natural she couldn't make decisions on the fly in an emergency moment. I feel at least she might be good enough to go to the next rank(though def not silver like AC-Phoenix suggested), though leading the party up to the emergency moment might have been made much easier because they were people she could trust and were veterans, so they reacted to her inputs well.
I'd say a good leader should be able to deal with unforeseen complications. She couldn't so it's only natural she failed.

That said, how do those tests work? There was no examiner, so is she graded by the others? That really doesn't seem like an efficient system. Having her join another party and having them grade her would have made more sense. Didn't need to have her lead either, it should be enough to show others how she acts during missions.
Old 2023-10-16, 06:42   Link #52
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
You don't get to coast on your class. Especially not when there's a better healer in the group with Lizard Priest, to the point where they rarely use Priestess for healing when he's around. She's support, but she needs to demonstrate the capacity to act on her own without the Silver Ranks holding her hands.

If anything, her promotion to Obsidian was faster than normal. Poop Patrol are still Porcelain ranked and they've been there just as long as Priestess, give or take two weeks.

And you don't even know how Lancer, Guts, Female Knight, and Witch got their first promotion. It was a literal boss fight with them and a bunch of other rookies against a giant monster backed by hordes of acidic slimes that dropped from the ceiling to dissolve people. GS had to fight twenty-five goblins and defend a village without a single casualty.

Rookies these days have it easy. There was no training camp being built back then. It was get good or die young.

Oh, I hope they adapt Year One someday.
You mean like, a giant goblin raid on a farm, where she saved her party leader from death by Goblin Leader?

Quote:

I'm not saying she should actually skip ranks though . My point is she should be safe for getting higher ranks for a while.
In fact, everyone who helped against the Goblin invasion in S1 should have gotten a promotion if they were below bronze.

As for her leader capabilities, meh, not so sure about them. I for example would have simply used that oversized staff of hers to trip him up, so he could fall on his nose...
Also let's be honest, they would have somehow opened the door anyway.
Part of being a leader is, sadly, making people listen to you, and she failed horribly at that.
Frankly, she imho failed when she agreed to take him with them.

As for the whole trial, going by how the Paladin suggested this being her test, she was probably with the ones claiming GS pulled her along?
If so, dick move for someone who doesn't even use her smite properly. (Seriously, where were those smites when the Goblin Champions showed up?)

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-16, 09:08   Link #53
Tenzen12

Quote:
A shame; as an anime-only watcher, it seem like an interesting component of the show was removed. Would have made that sequence in the Archbishop arc where he nearly gets killed make a little more sense or at least understand the significance of it(there was a dice roll, but it meant nothing to an anime only watcher[or just me =0b])

Sure, I can agree that it's more of him having difficulty expressing himself(in hindsight, this was the case in the flashback when Cow Girl was going to the city), but as far as his actions against goblins goes, is he really doing goblin slaying because he doesn't want others to suffer at the hands of goblins and/or experience what he went through, or is he doing it for revenge against all goblins for his sister? Cause as far as I know, it was the latter. Although both inherently comprise the same results, nor are mutually exclusive to one another, the nuance is important.

I mean GS explicitly said so in s1. I don't think there is reason to doubt him.

As for priestess. She failed keep wizard boy on leash and froze in critical moment forcing GS taking over. If it was different party it could lead to team wipe.
Old 2023-10-16, 09:12   Link #54
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
You mean like, a giant goblin raid on a farm, where she saved her party leader from death by Goblin Leader?

As for the whole trial, going by how the Paladin suggested this being her test, she was probably with the ones claiming GS pulled her along?

If so, dick move for someone who doesn't even use her smite properly. (Seriously, where were those smites when the Goblin Champions showed up?)

Well, let's look at everything.

Goblin Slayer orchestrated that raid and handled the planning, including what the Priestess should do. If anything, she broke her orders and only used two Protections instead of three to save one slot to heal him. So it still falls into the category as before.

Poop patrol barely contributed and if my eyes weren't deceiving me the rookies were largely left closer to the house with the more experienced ones taking further out to fight the Goblins. The Veterans were the ones who were actually fighting the Hobs and Goblin Champions and are higher than Bronze. And the kids who follow Heavy Warrior and Female Knight are still banned from any promotions for lying about their ages at this point (Year One fact: they joined Underage and both Heavy Warrior and Female Knight were delayed their promotions from Obsidian because they knew and sheltered them).

Female Knight lost her ability to use Miracles, or at least new ones, some time ago. In the LN, Heavy Warrior honestly looked up to the sky when she claimed to be still be in the service of the God of Justice as Lawful Good because he was worried she might get smote. She has no say in what the Guild Officials dictate.

Again, Priestess has been involved in a lot of Quests, but she's also literally backed by a squad of Silver-ranks. At this point, she doesn't even have a direct Goblin kill to her name, only via proxy by following orders, and as we saw she collapsed under pressure when the situation got bad enough. Her being promoted up to Obsidian before her first year was up was an exception to the rule, much like GS who saved a village on his own against twenty-five goblins and the others who participated in the Rock Eater mission five years ago.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-10-16 at 09:30.
Old 2023-10-16, 10:36   Link #55
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That said, how do those tests work? There was no examiner, so is she graded by the others? That really doesn't seem like an efficient system. Having her join another party and having them grade her would have made more sense. Didn't need to have her lead either, it should be enough to show others how she acts during missions.
Likely based on what they report as a whole. I think only weird cases, such as Goblin Slayer, get an examiner (see: Year One).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-16, 11:11   Link #56
Twi

Yeah, basically. The average exam is covered with Rhea who got the boot in Season One. They take into account what's reported and the context of the Quests themselves, what role they played, and so on. If they don't find any discrepancies like in a party full of people one dude is decked out to the nines while the others are poor and struggling to make ends meet, the promotion papers get sent to the Capital where they do a final inspection and only severe misconduct could cause them to fail.

This is likely because there are several branches of the Guild and for Adventurers who don't operate out of a single place, they need to be able to review them all and take that into account. For GS and the others who basically work from one location, Guild Girl basically handles that and sends them in to the headquarters.

In the case of GS' promotion, the issue wasn't GS' moral character like the Rhea, but the fact that they need to judge his Skills directly because he has done nothing but hunt goblins and never worked with a team (or at least not after the whole dissection thing). They don't want people to focus on killing monsters and forget who they are supposed to protect, so a Rank doesn't come purely from Combat ability. They couldn't promote someone who couldn't contend against anything else, especially if he was so focused on Goblins he ignored even other Adventurers, so he needed to be tested.

They also note that normally the local guild would handle the test, but this case in particular caught their eye and Senior Guild Girl was Guild Girl's mentor.
Old 2023-10-20, 03:04   Link #57
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Goblin Slayer II. The Red-Headed Wizard Boy

The second episode hit me particularly hard due to the twist on Wizard Boy being the little brother of the late Wizard Girl from Priestess first and failed adventurer's party; see season one.

To sum it up the parallels drawn between the deaths of two sisters killed by Goblins hit Goblin Slayer the hardest, because it forced him to confront the realization that he failed from preventing somebody else losing a family member like he did experience, and I can interpret him either losing trust in his skills or doubting what he's been doing all this time if not killing goblins.

Indeed, I agree with the rest of you that Wizard Boy's insufferable recklessness is getting a bit on my nerves. I mean he rushed in without heeding voice right on the goblin's den all alone and by himself; if weren't he was member of GS party, then he would've been dead in another party.

And, in spite of all that nightmare stuff he went through and making it back alive in his first quest thanks due to being in GS party, the experience was not enough to humble him and to make him realize that goblins are more than just what meets eye.

I do get why other adventurers mocked his sister getting killed by goblins, which I presume those are the kind of either high-tier adventurers or amongst the most experienced ones to see and treat goblins as mere trash not worthy of their time to deal with. Nevertheless, it is what it is in that world, I guess.
But, putting on a bravado and not realizing his own failures and limitations will raise enough red flags to warrant his death in the next quest.

As for Priestess, I guess she's more suited to fill the role of deputy leader relaying orders from Goblin Slayer to the rest of the party, because freezing like she did at the climax of a tightly dangerous environment only increased the liability on the party members.
This is not thinking outside of the box rather trusting your instincts and know exactly what you have to do in order to react at the heat of the moment.
Priestess needs more experience at independent decision-making skills, because as someone of you pointed out before she won't get any of it by clinging and relying on Goblin Slayer to make the calls when things turn south unexpectedly or out of plan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-20, 07:30   Link #58
Twi

It wasn't other Adventurers. It was the other Academy students who had yet to cut their teeth as Adventurers since they were still learning.

Remember, his sister was considered a prodigy who would have a bright future, and the staff she was given was from her teachers in acknowledgment of her talent. So hearing that she died from Goblins, who are considered the weakest monsters by the general public who haven't been on the receiving end of a Goblin Lord raid, basically causes them to mock her post-death that for all her supposed genius she still died to the weakest monster.

Edit: Review done. Changes below.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Twi; 2023-10-20 at 15:32.
Old 2023-10-20, 18:50   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That Rhea girl is small but she's stacked. Although there's no beating Cow Girl, of course.

I've been wondering for a while. We've seen first hand how dangerous Goblins can be on numerous occasions, so why is it the world at large considers them small fries? I know they're easy to kill, but unlike other monsters they're intelligent, and that makes them a lot more fearsome than some lone troll.
Old 2023-10-20, 18:53   Link #60
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

They probably oprate mainly in remote areas, so people at large do not notice how much harm they can do.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote