AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-27, 18:14   Link #81
Twi

Am I seriously the most empathetic person here when it comes to the boy?
Old 2023-10-27, 18:33   Link #82
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The whiplash was really strong with him. Particularly it being his first impression. We've had nothing but competent, reasonable characters for an entire season up til him. Even the Rookie Warrior and the Sword Cleric girl(titles escape me), whom are the best chars you could relate to him rank-wise, are reasonable; sure, they talked s*** about GS at the beginning, but even they humbled themselves and asked for advice from him when they needed it. He MAY have been able to redeem himself, but the[what I call] "shounen level of stupidity and angry boy entitlement" shown in the 2nd episode was just off the rails. In a show where the main party are very careful of their every move, for him to screw up to the degree that he did, you can't really come back from that so easily.

Granted, he was more sensible in the last two episodes, but the damage had been done. Even if he is somewhat comparable to GS with the sister angle, he garners no sympathy because of his attitude. Maybe the Warrior Rhea girl can make him more palpable by his return, but wouldn't care(and prob prefer) if he never returned for the most part.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-27, 20:34   Link #83
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oh thank goodness the kid is gone. Look, I can feel bad for his general backstory. Doesn't change that the kid is insanely annoying.

That kind of character needs to be snuck into the middle of a season when people have settled in, are enjoying the ride and can lean on those good moments...while waiting for the storm to pass. Opening up with that kid has dug a hole that this season is going to have quite the time trying to crawl up out of.

I almost want to give the show credit. The (likely) intentional irony of using the annoying kid's voice as a literal weapon is hilarious on some levels. But again...still annoying so only giving it half a point on that one.

So it took far longer than would have been nice. But at least the season can probably start getting enjoyable in episode 5 onward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm just glad Negi didn't end up causing more trouble and that he's gone. Hopefully, that dragon will kill him off-screen.
Almost certain that Rhea girl will have to go down with him. But...she did make her choice.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2023-10-27 at 20:46.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-28, 02:44   Link #84
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Goblin Slayer II. The Training Grounds on the Outskirts of Town

What I understood from Goblin Slayer boys night out with Heavy Warrior and the Spearman was that all had big dreams but could not follow through because of circumstances out of their control.

It hit me hard listening to Goblin Slayer childhood dream about wanting to become a renowned hero when fate dashed those dreams away, and put him to the most grueling nightmare.
The present-day him is steeled to do what has to be done, and I assume he cannot pursue even the simpler pleasures that life has to offer like picking the girl he likes to settle down, for example, not until all goblins are literally finished off the face of the world by his hand.

And, it just so happens that the timing went right as Goblins appeared prowling around the training grounds vicinity, hence, it delivered a one time chance for Goblin Slayer to demonstrate a real-life, "how to slay goblins with the most effective tools at one's disposal" how to do training course.

Other points to have taken note about:
- Cow girl has been dealing with Goblin Slayer's absence but seems she's reaching her limit to loneliness.

- Red Wizard boy still acting like a douchebag even when he's reminded of by his fellow newbies that his hide got saved by Goblin Slayer on his last adventure quest.

- That Rhea girl sure has a big mouth that matches her big appetite for Priestess (or maybe Cow girl) home-made sandwiches. And, indeed, I do know her species needs to eat several servings a day.
And, at the end, Priestess convinced her for both to go on an adventure quest together.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-28, 18:16   Link #85
Wandering Soul

I didn't really have the burning hatred for the kid so many other people seem to, so I don't have strong feelings about him leaving.

Main reason I liked this arc was how much humanity and emotion Goblin Slayer showed.
Old 2023-10-29, 04:41   Link #86
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
He made a terrible first impression, but I think, on the whole, he's not so bad. Even his screw-up during the adventure didn't come from a completely terrible place. Yes, he should have listened to more experienced adventurers, but he rushed because he wanted to save the girl. And he tried to shout a warning with what he thought was his last breath.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-29, 05:10   Link #87
Tenzen12

I also don't understand all that hate. He is annoying kid, but he still is kid and his issues are understanable and make sense in story. I am happy for his character development and wish him luck in his future endeavours.
Old 2023-10-29, 16:26   Link #88
GDB

Going to guess many, if not most/all, of his haters are manga readers. His arc in the manga was from chapter 55 until 75, and as a monthly series, it meant we had to put up with this nonsense for almost two years.

Meanwhile, anime watchers had 4 episodes of him.

Pretty easy to see where the difference in opinion can come from there.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-29, 18:57   Link #89
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Going to guess many, if not most/all, of his haters are manga readers. His arc in the manga was from chapter 55 until 75, and as a monthly series, it meant we had to put up with this nonsense for almost two years.

I'm anime only. He was super annoying, arrogant, and stupid. The fact he hated the main character for no good reason didn't help his case either.
Old 2023-10-29, 21:20   Link #90
Tenzen12

He didn't hate GS, he was looking down on him, that's different.
Old 2023-10-29, 22:10   Link #91
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

That might be worse, actually

Last edited by SuitUp; 2023-10-29 at 23:03.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-29, 23:13   Link #92
Tenzen12

Goblin Slayer is someone who got silver rank "just" by killing weak vermin. it's not that long where NOT looking down on him was exception among adventurers.
Old 2023-10-30, 04:51   Link #93
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

Manga reader here, and I don't hate him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-31, 00:10   Link #94
Dark Wing

My God, I know the kid was annoying but I don't think he was that.

He did take the lessons he was given to heart and learned from them. Hopefully he'll mature even more with time and the rhea there to help ground him.

I get many here are older and don't like the brash hot headed kid archetype but he did serve his purpose in the story and left just as quickly as he appeared.
Old 2023-10-31, 01:11   Link #95
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
My God, I know the kid was annoying but I don't think he was that.

He did take the lessons he was given to heart and learned from them. Hopefully he'll mature even more with time and the rhea there to help ground him.

I get many here are older and don't like the brash hot headed kid archetype but he did serve his purpose in the story and left just as quickly as he appeared.
Given that Rea doesn't even wear boots, I have little hope for their survival.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-31, 15:54   Link #96
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Can we just appreciate Goblin Slayer laughing? That felt great.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-31, 17:59   Link #97
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I also don't understand all that hate. He is annoying kid, but he still is kid and his issues are understanable and make sense in story. I am happy for his character development and wish him luck in his future endeavours.
It's not the kid himself that is the problem. It's that everyone else including the author treats him with kids gloves. At no point during his arc did anyone take their time to straighten him up. No one ever thought to come up and say "Look kid your sister died because she underestimated goblins and if you do the same you'll end up just like her". I understand why Priestess didn't do it and I guess Goblin Slayer needed that moment of humanization when he found out. But the Guild Girl could have explained everything but for some reason the author decided to leave her inactive during this whole arc.
Old 2023-10-31, 18:19   Link #98
Tenzen12

GS took kid to hunt goblin and he got terrible experience there and he straighten himself up as result. That's much more direct and more effective then giving him some exposition (which is obvious, he wouldn't listen anyway).
Old 2023-11-03, 09:30   Link #99
Random14

Onto a new arc, with the gang now going to visit High Elf Archer's family. Funny that we're seeing this arc the same season as Freiren (in terms of elven focus).

Looks to be a pretty nice vacation with Cow Girl and Guild Girl along for the ride too. Well, it'll probably be a nice trip after that battle, but with all of them there they can handle it of course.

Good chance to check in on Sword Maiden too, I like seeing recurring characters as the series goes on.

Last edited by Random14; 2023-11-03 at 09:42.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-03, 16:27   Link #100
grecefar

I feel like cow girl and guild girl are out of place here, they were invited in the manga?

nice to see sword maiden again.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote