AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 12 19.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 36.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-02-21, 15:09   Link #61
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
And he killed Saazbaum, so does that he stopped genocide
And the war is still going on with Slaine still supporting it and exploiting Asseylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee85 View Post
If that's the case who the hell is the main villain?
Slaine.
He does everything to make this war go on and lies and betrayes everyone and everything.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:09   Link #62
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Well, if you want he could simply drop out all together, just stop doing anything. Would that really change the fact that a war is going on? Would it stop the war? No. Honestly, at least they show that Slaine can guide the counts. If he wasn't there, they would be killing indiscriminately anyway.
At the very least, the dislike/hate would not be on Slaine. To say that it's ok for Slaine to participate because someone else would do it anyway is a poor excuse.
Quote:
And at this point, it really doesn't matter that they Terrans are defending themselves. Terrans soldiers are defending themselves and Martians are defending themselves. This is still war. Once a war has spread out to this degree, it really no longer matters who started it. War is not that simple. You can decide who to blame when it's over, right now it's just a matter of survival. The Terrans will kill Martians and the Martians have the right to defend themselves. I'm not saying that the war is right, but I am saying there is no easy solution to it either.
It may be a matter of survival from the point of view of the ordinary soldiers fighting the war, but it's not a matter of survival for the people in charge, like Slaine. He has a plan in mind that goes beyond mere survival, and he is using and escalating the war at whatever the cost to help him achieve that plan. And as a viewer, I can take that into account and consider him to be at fault for his participation in the war.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:10   Link #63
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
slaine

he is influenced by saazbaum

saazbaum is a great man, and objectively best character in Season 1 ... yes objectively because entire cast SUCK!!! at least inaho is decent with his small talk, smile and worried expression in season 2 even tho he is OP as F with its multi function robotic eye, but in season 1 he is just a friggin refrigerator!
Old 2015-02-21, 15:12   Link #64
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
All this does not excuse that Slaine is taking part in genocide...he was Saaz right hand man after all.
A right hand man that was faking the entire time. Or does "did you really ever think I would swear fealty to you?" not tell you that he wasn't loyal to Saaz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
At the very least, the dislike/hate would not be on Slaine. To say that it's ok for Slaine to participate because someone else would do it anyway is a poor excuse. It may be a matter of survival from the point of view of the ordinary soldiers fighting the war, but it's not a matter of survival for the people in charge, like Slaine. He has a plan in mind that goes beyond mere survival, and he is using and escalating the war at whatever the cost to help him achieve that plan. And as a viewer, I can take that into account and consider him to be at fault for his participation in the war.
Honestly, then people would have just been mad at him for "not doing anything" or for "not stepping up", or some other crap. They said last season that Slaine was going to be at the forefront of this season and that the Vers point of view was going to be paramount. Well, yes we know they started the war, they started both of them, but we really need to go on from there. And honestly, we're saying that it's a matter of survival for UFE, but honestly, despite losing so many people and so much land, they don't seem to be worried or struggling at all. They're not even worried about what the Martians are doing from what the higher ups were saying. I mean, if I really saw them struggling and dying, then maybe I would direct more emotion towards their side, but their Terran side is really kind of boring to me.

I can't say Slaine is totally blameless, especially with this last episode, but I can say that I can see what he's trying to do, and where's he's coming from and what he's had to do to get where he is, in order to be able to do anything. People forget that only 4 episodes ago, the only place he had any authority to really do anything was on Moon base, and that was only because Saaz was covering for him. He hasn't really been in power that long. And even now that he is in power, getting people to do what you want, especially people as independent and self-serving as these counts, is not easy. Sometimes you have to make them think that you are like them before you can do anything against them or what they want.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2015-02-21 at 15:24.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:13   Link #65
monster

Quote:
A right hand man that was faking the entire time. Or does "did you really ever think I would swear fealty to you?" not tell you that he wasn't loyal to Saaz?
He doesn't need to be loyal to the person to still be following that person's ideal.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:13   Link #66
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Every war that is intended to exterminate a group of people is indeed genocide.

Vers is trying to exterminate the Terrans and the killded millions or billions of civillians in a war they startet.
Has Slaine committed any act of genocide? The key word was intent, we do not even know what is intention is. He has not lead the invasion, he has not attacked any civilians, and he has only attacked military base.

And he killed Saazbaum, so what is the point of you keep saying he worked for him.

Quote:
Quote:
And the war is still going on with Slaine still supporting it and exploiting Asseylum.

Slaine.
He does everything to make this war go on and lies and betrayes everyone and eveyrthing.
Maybe a story doesn't need a main villain.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:16   Link #67
hamazura
whatever

i want VERS to win. because with slaine as their leader, they deserve to win. slaine is a charismatic leader now, he is uniting VERS into 1. everyone will obey him. at least that VERS unity is a legit reason to win the war

compared to earth army. they are fricking idiots. i bet the higher ups are just lazy corrupt fcuk. this inaho is super godlike but he is just 1 man army. a solo player. if earth win, its probably because of ungrateful lemrina/assylum betraying slaine and inaho solo rekt entire VERS with fvking BS gary stu dynasty warrior style

slaine is like lelouch. his emotionally unstable personality will be his downfall. like in Code geass season 1.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:16   Link #68
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

So he was faking the whole first season, shooting Inaho in the eye reascuing Saaz...

I say that is nonsense.
He was willingly helping Saaz, he is willingly using Asseylum, he is willingly continuing with this war.
Every excuse you make is just a petty excuse just like with Suzaku and his nonsense in Geas.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:20   Link #69
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
i want VERS to win. because with slaine as their leader, they deserve to win. slaine is a charismatic leader now, he is uniting VERS into 1. everyone will obey him. at least that VERS unity is a legit reason to win the war

compared to earth army. they are fricking idiots. i bet the higher ups are just lazy corrupt fcuk. this inaho is super godlike but he is just 1 man army. a solo player. if earth win, its probably because of ungrateful lemrina/assylum betraying slaine and inaho solo rekt entire VERS with fvking BS gary stu dynasty warrior style

slaine is like lelouch. his emotionally unstable personality will be his downfall. like in Code geass season 1.
best troll post of the week, he's just using everything as tool how can they even be ungrateful for begin used lol?
Old 2015-02-21, 15:20   Link #70
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
So he was faking the whole first season, shooting Inaho in the eye reascuing Saaz...

I say that is nonsense.
He was willingly helping Saaz, he is willingly using Asseylum, he is willingly continuing with this war.
Every excuse you make is just a petty excuse just like with Suzaku and his nonsense in Geas.
OMG this nonsense again. He rescued Saazbaum in order to save Asseylum, he was using him. Holy crap, how the hell people not see something so simple. And did you not watch the last episode? He thought the princess was in coma and might be lost forever.

He shot Inaho cause, I don't know, maybe because he doesn't trust Inaho. Why? Two reasons, he never met the dude and he freaking shot him down despite Slaine helping him.

Holy crap, same thing over and over between each week. How the hell can you not see something so simple. Holy...
Old 2015-02-21, 15:20   Link #71
hamazura
whatever

Quote:

I say that is nonsense.
the war already near the end
its already far too late to retreat and peace with earth now
so slaine just go with the sure way to end this war which is : WIN THE WAR
he want to conquer the earth. and make the paradise for assylum.
hypocrite? yes, but any other choice? slaine is doing what he can
and even though its a dick move and unlikeable by the viewers, does it matter? no, is it intersting? fking yes.

slaine basically saved the boring aldnoah, without him. its just gonna be "VERS knight of the week vs our gary stu with its brilliant tactic" until the end
Old 2015-02-21, 15:22   Link #72
nubby

I'm rooting for Slaine as well!

Western audiences are really something else.... must be used to all those fairytale stories.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:22   Link #73
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Has Slaine committed any act of genocide? The key word was intent, we do not even know what is intention is. He has not lead the invasion, he has not attacked any civilians, and he has only attacked military base.

And he killed Saazbaum, so what is the point of you keep saying he worked for him.

Maybe a story doesn't need a main villain.
Cling together, swing together!
Simple as that.
And Slaine is a master in btraying people as we have seen. Betraying assaylum and exploiting her, betraying Saaz and lying to everyone...doing everything so this war goes on...

And it's not about if this story needs a main villain. It has already one in Slaine.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:22   Link #74
monster

Quote:
OMG this nonsense again. He rescued Saazbaum in order to save Asseylum, he was using him. Holy crap, how the hell people not see something so simple. And did you not watch the last episode? He thought the princess was in coma and might be lost forever.

He shot Inaho cause, I don't know, maybe because he doesn't trust Inaho. Why? Two reasons, he never met the dude and he freaking shot him down despite Slaine helping him.

Holy crap, same thing over and over between each week. How the hell can you not see something so simple. Holy...
You can't bring up Inaho shooting Slaine without considering that Slaine shot first. And that has noting to do with saving Saazbaum. He should've let Inaho kill Saazbaum, and then kill Inaho if Slaine didn't trust Inaho, but Slaine deliberately saved Saazbaum.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:22   Link #75
Pegasai

Quote:
Actually, it's really the western audience that just seems to hate Slaine, I love him myself and I know there are others like me, so we're not a very small minority of the western audience. Eastern audience on the other hand is the exact opposite, Slaine is very well liked over there and is the most popular character in the show. So, it really depends on your audience when you're talking "that more people hate Slaine".
This was what I was referring to. I really don't have any knowledge of the Japanese audience and simple google searches haven't revealed anything so I can't really comment.

Quote:
As for motivating, I think his original motivation is pure, and I think that at its center it still is. He wants to make a society that is good for all Martians and not just the elite where they are not dying because of having no resources and horrible living conditions, without having any kind of support because of the feudal system that is always putting them down. However, in order to do this, he has to be able to control all the power of Vers since the power of Aldnoah is controlled from the very top. However, to do this, he's had to take some dark paths that may or may not consume him, depending on where this goes from here.
This is speculation. It may end up being true, but to me, the evidence is increasingly pointing towards a more impure motivation. Intent to use underhanded methods to frame dissenting counts may be excusable & compatible with a pure motivation, but there are certain things that make me doubt that he's really pure as you claim.

1. Slaine's monologue about settling for power if he can't be close to Asseylum or be of use to her. There's no pure reason for Slaine to have power if he's not going to be working for Asseylum's goals. And you're not going to convince me that Slaine suddenly started caring about the poor in Vers when the only thing on Slaine's mind up to this point has been Asseylum, Asseylum, and Asseylum.

2. Slaine's unnecessary outburst at Eddelrittuo. I want to add a corollary to this and say that Slaine dropping the honorifics for Harklight is another sign. These little things seem to be adding up in showing that the power is getting to his head.

3. Dropped flowers. Control freak. Rage about NTR. lol

Quote:
I made the example because people were mad at Slaine for destroying Trident base and killing Terran soldiers, when to me those are all perfectly legal targets. Yet, L-elf killed people indiscriminately civilian or soldier and destroyed whole areas both during war and during peacetime, both before and after he met Haruto. His morals were much more dark gray than Slaine's. Now, don't get me wrong I LOVE L-elf and Lelouch, they are my favorite characters in either series. I just don't think that Slaine should be getting the hate that he is getting, but that's just my opinion.
Wrong! It should actually be the opposite lol
Too many people like L-elf and Lelouch. They should hate them just as much as they hate Slaine (if not more).

Quote:
Slaine doesn't dictate how Mars should conquer Earth, but he is still the one who pushes the counts to focus on conquering Earth and leave the details to them. Some counts are careful in what destructions they cause and others may not be as careful. Also, one reason why they don't indiscriminately attack is because they want to preserve the Earth for themselves.

And regardless if Slaine himself only attacks military targets, Mars is still the aggressor in this conflict. So those military targets are people who are only defending themselves against the invading Martians. He does not need to personally commit or command actual genocide in order to be considered at fault for what he and/or the people under him does and/or has done in this conflict.
The bold part is why I agree that Slaine is responsible for countless deaths/can be seen as a mass-murderer. The underlined portion, however, is ridiculous unless you're going to claim that every invading country/force is at fault. There are justifiable reasons to invade or attack. Obviously, the reasons that the Vers empire have for attacking the Earth in this anime are selfish and place them in the wrong, but to imply that any aggressor is wrong is a bit extreme.

Quote:
Like I said, Taking part in the murder of millions of people is genocide. By assisting and supporting Saaz, Slaine was willingly taking part in that.
http://www.un.org/en/preventgenocide..._framework.pdf
There is no room for interpretations. Slaine was and is part of that.
Well then, every soldier is willingly taking part in some form of genocide.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:23   Link #76
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Cling together, swing together!
Simple as that.
And Slaine is a master in btraying people as we have seen. Betraying assaylum and exploiting her, betraying Saaz and lying to everyone...doing everything so this war goes on...

And it's not about if this story needs a main villain. It has already one in Slaine.
You are not even reading what I am writing, so I am done with this.

Quote:
You can't bring up Inaho shooting Slaine without considering that Slaine shot first. And that has noting to do with saving Saazbaum. He should've let Inaho kill Saazbaum, and then kill Inaho if Slaine didn't trust Inaho, but Slaine deliberately saved Saazbaum.
I am not doing this shit again, I got a plane to catch and I already talked about this before.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:24   Link #77
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasai View Post
Well then, every soldier is willingly taking part in some form of genocide.
As long they are fighting for the extermination of a different group of people...than yeah, it's genocide.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:25   Link #78
lubczyk

Inaho repeated this episode what I have been saying all along. Even if Asseylum brokered for peace, the counts would not listen to her. So what is to be done? That is the question.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:26   Link #79
Utsuro no Hako

I'd be okay with VERS winning. Say what you will about them, but at least they have an ethos, unlike the Earthers.
Old 2015-02-21, 15:27   Link #80
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Inaho repeated this episode what I have been saying all along. Even if Asseylum brokered for peace, the counts would not listen to her. So what is to be done? That is the question.
well probably inaho will save the day expanding his eye too much, this will probably give him a time limit to rush in a final battle