AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 10:28   Link #61
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's a lot of attention to detail by the animators in this show, but this episode takes the cake. In a scene around fifteen minutes in the parents are walking home together. There is a brief moment, shot from above, when a car drives pass them and the pattern of their shadows on the street changes as a result. Now it might seem silly to point to such a minor detail, but it shows me how much attention the animators paid to every single scene in this series.

I'm glad Yuuko dumped him if only because we won't need to see him wearing that suit with the piping. Man, was that ugly. Having read Dop's helpful link to the Miyuki-Zokus, I'd have to say that suit didn't look very "ivy" to me.

I felt sad for Ryou-san, thrust into an intimate and emotional encounter with the unattainable girl he has a crush on. It must have been hard to answer the "do you have a girlfriend" question without blurting out, "yes I do, and it's you, Yuuko-san."

How long do you suppose it takes to get to the terminal from that new runway on the island at Tokyo Airport?

Only two more episodes, and they're still running with the Torch? I'm betting the show ends just as the Olympics begin.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 18:28   Link #62
Dop
Mmmm....

So I get back from the pub to find 12 and 13 are both up!

Hurrah! Will watch them tomorrow and report back.

In the meantime I'd like to thank GotWoot very very very much for subbing this show to completion.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 23:54   Link #63
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I really enjoyed these two final episodes, though I wish we had seen another walk around at the end of 12 instead of the ad for the DVDs.

I had appendicitis about fifteen years ago. In my case it came on very quickly. I thought it was nothing more than usual stomach issues (I've had my share in my life), so I can understand Yuuzou's ignoring the problem. I guessed wrongly that he had a bleeding ulcer, a fairly plausible diagnosis given how driven and anxious he was.

In my case I was talking with my then girlfriend on the phone when her mother, who happened to be there, said it sounded like appendicitis to her. I took myself to the doctor and was on my way to the hospital within the hour. I was told I was about six hours away from a rupture and the peritonitis that accompanies it. Here in Boston we have some of the most advanced teaching hospitals in the world, and I was lucky to be one of first patients operated on using modern laproscopic methods. Unlike Yuuzou I was ambulatory in a day or two and able to attend my daughter's birthday party just three days after surgery.

I don't think my appendicitis had anything to do with stress either!

There were many touching scenes in these episodes, particularly the part where Kouhei gives his departing friend the autographed baseball. It just seemed so true; kids often don't know how to deal with the emotions surrounding important losses like a major move and often just run away without really understanding why.

Spoiler for Granny:

The grandma was a bitchy old lady, but I loved her line about running after the torch bearer! Somehow I'd guess Kouhei would rather become a professional baseball player than an Olympic runner.

I scanned the DVD sales thread here to see how well the series fared. Showa Monogatari appears nowhere on that very extensive list. Nor can I find it at either amazon.co.jp or cdjapan.co.jp. Rather surprising for a show that went on sale just last fall, don't you think?

Many thanks to GotWoot for completing this endearing little show. The Wikipedia page for Showa Monogatari is essentially empty. I was thinking of at least starting the characters list. The ANN page has the names of the main characters and their seiyuu but no summary. I might try to fill in a few of these entries over the course of the next couple of weeks. Anyone else want to pitch in?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-13 at 00:51.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 00:01   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Series review:

Indeed, thanks very much to GotWoot for bringing this series to us. I hope they sub the movie as well. This is definitely an underrated gem.

I like the way this series ended - very much true to itself. Emotional but not overly sentimental, very authentic in every way. There was a nice uptick in drama but it was the same sort of everyday drama that working class people have to deal with everywhere, and which very few anime ever focus on. Shouwa Monogatari isn't at all flashy, but it has a lot to offer.

Sensei, I'll happily pitch in - just PM or VM me.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-08-15 at 00:17.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 23:43   Link #65
Kokujin-kun
born black and born poor
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So what is a hondaratta? I did a little Google searching and found this. From the song I thought they might be singing about riding a Honda scooter. Am i right?
It's a nonsense word, it'd be like trying to translate "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" into another language.
Kokujin-kun is offline   Reply With Quote