AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-23, 15:50   Link #461
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Great second episode. We've got a lot of development and the humor is just fantastic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 16:37   Link #462
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Now we have met some of his classmates I have come to the following conclusion:

They are all aliens.

Everyone is an alien.
I have a better hypothesis: everyone is a alien except Eri and Makoto!
Old 2011-04-23, 16:48   Link #463
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Huhu, this is Arakawa all over again. Logic dictates Erio is a human who wents nuts after undergoing a traumatic experience, and yet since this is anime, we can't throw the possiblity she's an alien out of the window. Furthermore, I think that deep down we want her to be an alien, as it would make her behavior plain funny rather than funny and sad.
Like Arakawa... only with much better character designs, and more interesting characters, and I should not forget better pacing and swings from absurdly funny to serious. By the way, Arakawa and Arashi were the only shows from SHAFT that I dropped

Quote:
Personally, after hearing Meme's story in episode 2, I'm convinced she's just a normal girl. Wait, that's not accurate. It think she's a very abnormal girl (her beauty alone is out of this world) that is still human nonetheless.
Being traumatized just makes her more likable in my book.

While on the subject, and since the novels finished, did the author write what happened? PM if the yes or no answer is considered a spoiler

In between, that OP reminds me of Children of Bodom, minus the vocals

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-04-23 at 17:58.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 16:57   Link #464
Asuras
Dictadere~!

That had to be one of the strangest first episodes of anime Ive ever seen. The pacing and the divergences that freakish woman created every time Makoto asked a question nearly made me commit suicide. Impatient much?
Old 2011-04-23, 18:03   Link #465
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Huhu, this is Arakawa all over again. Logic dictates Erio is a human who wents nuts after undergoing a traumatic experience, and yet since this is anime, we can't throw the possiblity she's an alien out of the window. Furthermore, I think that deep down we want her to be an alien, as it would make her behavior plain funny rather than funny and sad.

Personally, after hearing Meme's story in episode 2, I'm convinced she's just a normal girl. Wait, that's not accurate. It think she's a very abnormal girl (her beauty alone is out of this world) that is still human nonetheless.
Yes, the way she is acting is a result of her past. People react to things differently and often find ways to cope. This is her way. I also don't believe she went totally missing and that her mother is still hiding something(s).

And I never thought for a second she was an alien. There has been no indication of anything supernatural or extraterrestrial. She is a normal girl. Why does her hair glow? Because it's illustrating just how interesting and beautiful she appears to our protagonist. Everything is in metaphor. And it's because of that, that I love it. There is much more under the surface and I can watch it multiple times and see something new each time. Albeit, all of the hhnnggghh-ing might be obstructing my viewing capability, there is still plenty to be observed with a re-watch.
Old 2011-04-23, 20:35   Link #466
Kagayaki

I really loved the second episode. The two girls they introduced are great. First off, the Genki Girl is my favorite character archetype, so Bike Helmet Girl is automatically awesome. No arguments will be heard. Sandwich Girl is Sandwich Girl. I don't even have to explain that one.

I'm a little worried though. See, here I wanted Weird Girls: the Anime, and now I'm afraid I might be getting Broken Girls: the Anime.

There are some things better left to the imagination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And I never thought for a second she was an alien. There has been no indication of anything supernatural or extraterrestrial. She is a normal girl.
Rationally, I never thought so either. But there was hope, hope against reason, that she would actually be able to follow through on some of her craziness.

Although I guess it might seriously hamstring the plot if they can't dive into her past...
I hope the other two girls turn out to just be weird and not broken though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Why does her hair glow? Because it's illustrating just how interesting and beautiful she appears to our protagonist. Everything is in metaphor. And it's because of that, that I love it. There is much more under the surface and I can watch it multiple times and see something new each time. Albeit, all of the hhnnggghh-ing might be obstructing my viewing capability, there is still plenty to be observed with a re-watch.
Well put.
Old 2011-04-24, 00:16   Link #467
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Internally I'm having a conflict between believing whether Erio actually got abducted by aliens or not. The viewers have little evidence to support Erio's own story; no one else believes her, and Erio can't really fly as she claims. Logically, Erio seems to be a shell-shocked kidnappee who uses her own childhood dreams to cope with the half a year away from town. Yet despite all the overwhelming realism, I'm inclined to go fantasy. I'd like to believe Erio actually got turned into a half-alien. It's the only way I can find an explanation for Erio's sheer beauty...
Being an alien or abducted by an alien is a lot easier to consider than a young girl so traumatized that she lost 6 months of her memory (People start to think abuse in these situations.). And add onto it that she had so little family and medical/psych support that she had to make false memories to account for her 6 months memory loss instead of remembering it.
Old 2011-04-24, 16:03   Link #468
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

So Erio disappeared for half a year and convinced herself that she's is an alien? And got herself injured to prove she can fly? I'm liking this show very much, but because of this dramatic reveal, I kinda have a feeling this show might get a bit dramatic down the road, not that thats bad, but still.
Old 2011-04-24, 16:06   Link #469
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Agree with the above poster... I get the feeling this show is about to take a turn for the darker. Maybe Madoka influenced SHAFT a little too much?
Old 2011-04-24, 16:36   Link #470
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Being an alien or abducted by an alien is a lot easier to consider than a young girl so traumatized that she lost 6 months of her memory (People start to think abuse in these situations.). And add onto it that she had so little family and medical/psych support that she had to make false memories to account for her 6 months memory loss instead of remembering it.
I get it already... logically, it's more likely Erio just made up some fake memories. I admitted so already in the post you quoted.

But I would love to see some aliens. To me, aliens are the "wow" factor making Denpa Onna different from your usual slice-of-life offering. If everyone else is right and aliens don't really exist... killjoy. Erio's just a beautifully insane girl.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 23:02   Link #471
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Yeah, the E.T. references are beyond obvious, so should we wait for any finger touching moment any time soon? Also, there's the fact that Erio Touwa's initial is also E.T...
When Erio's index finger starts to light up and she wants to phone home, we'll know there's some serious business going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Is it just me, or was there quite a few innuendos in ep2. Nude "head", "pedal slow/fast" etc. Or do I just have perverted mind?

EDIT: After watching the full ep, it seemed like I was watching a more juvenile, "cute" version of Bakemonogatari. The camera shots, the dialogue, the sexual jokes, the fanservice, the weirdness... it all gave me a similar vibe.
Not only you, just the same here
The safety helmet-condom analogy, for one, was quite obvious.

About Erio, why can't we have the cake and eat it too? Erio could be an alien, and someone found out and abducted her because of that. After half a year, she somehow barely managed to escape, and got a trauma because of what happened to her.
Old 2011-04-25, 00:00   Link #472
dark998

Nice episode 2. The other two girls finally got some serious screentime and both are likable, but I prefered Ryuuko a bit over Maekawa.

So Erio disappeared mysteriously for half a year and now believes she is an alien...I wonder if that's only her way to cope with that experience or there is something more hidden beneath. Wheter she is truly an alien or not the circumstances of her going missing for so long should be revealed sooner or later.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 03:35   Link #473
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Damn it, the more I watch this series the cuter these girls become.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 04:31   Link #474
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Agree with the above poster... I get the feeling this show is about to take a turn for the darker. Maybe Madoka influenced SHAFT a little too much?
I won't count out the possibility of it getting darker, but I don't think it has anything to do with Madoka influence...unlike Madoka which is an anime original, this one is an adaptation of a Light Novel so the content is not influenced by SHAFT. You can say that they still pick the show to animate, but I think it's less dark turn and more quirky characters series, similar to Arakawa which I think is a bit of SHAFT's "type" of shows.
Old 2011-04-25, 20:18   Link #475
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
...unlike Madoka which is an anime original, this one is an adaptation of a Light Novel so the content is not influenced by SHAFT.
If one wanted to be thoroughly spoiled, could you direct one to the appropriate thread for discussing the Light Novel series. I've looked and can't seem to find one on AnimeSuki...

Thanks!
Old 2011-04-25, 23:31   Link #476
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
If one wanted to be thoroughly spoiled, could you direct one to the appropriate thread for discussing the Light Novel series. I've looked and can't seem to find one on AnimeSuki...

Thanks!
I don't believe one exist.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 23:55   Link #477
Candyshark

Gotta hand it to subbers i can't even make out words Erio is mumbling. I have to reread translated lines like 3 times to get the what she is saying. If most cast to be alien then my bet that Meme is only one human there. I would not brand her being antoganist of the show. We don't know why Erio isn't "open up" for her mother.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 03:52   Link #478
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
We don't know why Erio isn't "open up" for her mother.
Because her mother is actually an alien and not her mother? Do they even have a resemblance?
Old 2011-04-26, 03:54   Link #479
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i like maekawa <3
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 04:42   Link #480
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Because her mother is actually an alien and not her mother? Do they even have a resemblance?
They both have blue hair and eyes, although of different shades.

Tags
aliens, ecchi, light novel adaptation, romance, school life, seinen, shaft, shounen, slice of life