Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-25, 23:08   Link #41
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
I didnt find it sad because you never really got to know the side characters that well so I didnt care if they died or not. Also, I was desensitized to all the death and violence. By the end, I knew everyone was going to die and I was like "oh well"

Me too I totally agree. T Nothing was sad there was no meaning (if there was it was lost) they killed the idea of me getting emotions because it was like yeah ur gunna die. It is like watching scream in a sense you don't cry in that LOL. Anyway in short not sad.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 23:10   Link #42
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Interesting. That's the only part of the story I liked. It consisted of what, 2 minutes of the show's time? I hated the rest of it. I love a good tearjerker/ romance story, too. I just had no attachment to the main characters. I thought they were both idiots.

I love ur avatar Kanon rulz
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 03:13   Link #43
Cagalli Yula Athha

Anyone see Saikano?

Quote:
Shuuji and Chise are third year student at a high school in Hokkaido. The shy Chise is finally confessing to Shuuji, and finally two of them are starting to exchange diary awkwardly.

One day, Shuuji tried to escape from a sudden enemy air raid on Sapporo. While desperately escaping from the air raid, Shuuji saw a scene that he could not forget for his life. He saw Chise, with a huge weapons which looks is part of her hand, shot the enemy fighters one by one. Apparently, Chise is the ultimate weapon with destructive power which is important for the war.

How can Shuuji face the reality that his love is actually the ultimate weapon with destructive power?

Source: http://animenfo.com/animetitle,934,lyvgvq,saikano.html

Anyone see this anime? Its a couple of years old. Its definitely the most dramatic and saddest anime i ever saw. This anime is just so dynamic. It just blowed away my admiration to Kimi Ga nozomu eien and Evagelion but i still enjoy those! If anything I would believe that is an "alternative Kimiga Nozomu Eien story with a small feeling of Evagelion" in the mix. One of the best anime i have seen. An anime that differs from most.
Cagalli Yula Athha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 03:43   Link #44
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Great show! The only problem is that with a show this good you should have realize that someone is going to have created a thread about it already. I would suggest that you join the discussion in one of the following two threadsAlso, this show was licensed so you should have posted in the DVD & Licensed Forum

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 01:34   Link #45
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

Saikano Vol. 1

Yeah, so I was at the mall in Milford, CT today, and in the store called "FYE," they had the Saikano vol. 1 dvd! This isn't supposed to be out until Apr. 27! Well of course I ended up buying it (as well as the Narue no Sekai box set thing) and I think it's really good so far (I haven't seen it on fansub and have been waiting for it to be released so I could see it). The unfortunate part about getting it early is that I have to wait even longer for volume 2 to come out (unless that store gets that one early, too).

I also have one question about this dvd: Disc 2 contains the "Japanese TV special 'All about SAIKANO.'" Is it safe for me to watch this now, or should I wait till I've seen the whole series? It sounds like it may contain spoilers for the show. And of course, if it does, then I don't know what the hell Viz was smoking when they decided to include it with volume 1.
SKoRPioN9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 02:01   Link #46
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
My advice is that you SHOULD watch the series first and then watch the special
The specials are the MAKING of the series ..I never buy VIz or any licensed dvd so I wouldnt know what VIZ smokes before they edit a DVD for their anime fans..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoRPioN9x
Yeah, so I was at the mall in Milford, CT today, and in the store called "FYE," they had the Saikano vol. 1 dvd! This isn't supposed to be out until Apr. 27! Well of course I ended up buying it (as well as the Narue no Sekai box set thing) and I think it's really good so far (I haven't seen it on fansub and have been waiting for it to be released so I could see it). The unfortunate part about getting it early is that I have to wait even longer for volume 2 to come out (unless that store gets that one early, too).

I also have one question about this dvd: Disc 2 contains the "Japanese TV special 'All about SAIKANO.'" Is it safe for me to watch this now, or should I wait till I've seen the whole series? It sounds like it may contain spoilers for the show. And of course, if it does, then I don't know what the hell Viz was smoking when they decided to include it with volume 1.

Last edited by Yamano667; 2004-04-17 at 02:13.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 07:43   Link #47
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

SKoRPioN9x, it would be the safeset bet to watch the 'making of' special last. Although sometimes they don't contain any spoilers, most often the contain many audio and visual spoilers. I remember watching the Fruits Basket Eyecatch special, if i hadn't already seen the series that special would have spoiled a great deal of the series. Despite not spoiling anything major, there was more than enough information given to spoil about half of each episode.

The disc being included was most likely just a sales gimmick. "Look! It's got a bonus disc! Buy it!" That sorta thing.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 09:09   Link #48
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

Thank you for your recommendations. I think it was stupid for Viz to include that with volume 1. I wonder how many people are going to watch it and be spoiled .
SKoRPioN9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 09:30   Link #49
oDin01

The extras are essentially the same extras that were on the R2 DVD only this time subbed. Having watched them already nothing really exciting about the supplementary disc. Didn't like how Viz didn't sub the OP and ED songs and the case that the first volume came with. Can't even fit all the volumes in the R2 box now. Other than that the release was alright.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 13:06   Link #50
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oDin01
The extras are essentially the same extras that were on the R2 DVD only this time subbed. Having watched them already nothing really exciting about the supplementary disc. Didn't like how Viz didn't sub the OP and ED songs and the case that the first volume came with. Can't even fit all the volumes in the R2 box now. Other than that the release was alright.
Yeah. I don't think that 'making of' special is anything bad to watch before watching the whole series. They simply talk about how they adapted the manga to the anime. I think it's a good idea to watch that special after you watch at least some of the episodes on DVD 1 though.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 05:39   Link #51
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
I have this on preorder, so I guess I should be expecting it to arrive soon! I will watch the making of extra since I was able to catch the entire series on fansub.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:31   Link #52
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Letterbox! Booo! Hisss! Growl! Honk, Honk! Whirl, whirl, whirl! Hohoho! Bah! Gagggh! Tick-Tock, Tick Tock!

Thank you very much.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:26   Link #53
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Your opinion on Saikano

Well I got an eye on this anime because I found a wallpaper, then got curious, and found a teaser (which doesn't show much) and got more art and a summary of the anime.

Since it's licenced and I can buy the anime I just want to know if it's worth buying.

Have you people seen it? and is it good? since I haven't seen any episode yet.

thanks.
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:02   Link #54
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

I found it very good, everyone I know also loves it. Just for me the mood of the anime and ending was ruined because I heard so much about it I was expecting something which obviously didn't happen in some sort of way but still I enjoyed watching it all the way through and would recommend it to others.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:02   Link #55
7thMethuselah

SaiKano is a very emotional and tragic romance anime in a very unusual setting

The story in short (some spoilers from episode 1 in it but essential to know what it is about):
Spoiler:

I must warn you that it gets very very depressive and emotional, and a box of tissues is definatelly recommended. However it is a beautiful anime and kept my mind occupied for days and days after, I saw the entire show in 2 days I couldn't stop watching it.

This is a series I think is a must-see if you like drama and a good story. If you are into romance stuff then you cannot afford to miss it.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 16:36   Link #56
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

If you liked Hoshi no Koe, you'll probably like this one. I'd recommend watching it subtitled rather than dubbed.... some of the dub VAs sound marvelous, but a couple of them are pretty mediocre. The artwork has a "rough" feel to it, which I find really nice since so many shows nowadays look overly polished.

Viz's release excels in some areas and is absolutely horrible in others. The packaging and extras are to die for; the subtitles, however, made me want to kill myself. Grammatical errors and typos are unforgivable in professional releases. So is typing "Shuji" when the Japanese voice actress clearly just said "Shu-chan." Ignoring honorifics and neglecting to add song subtitles are the kinds of things that give American anime DVDs a bad reputation (which, for the most part, they really don't deserve).
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 21:51   Link #57
Innotech

I can see why some people dontl ike Saikano, as it does have imperfections and may be uncomfortably depressing, but in my personal opinion it is my #1 favorite anime, even above Haibane Renmei, and that is quite an accomplishment. I also found Akemi's death and the final scene of Chise's spirit in Shuji's hands to be the very saddest scenes in any anime (including GOF) that I have ever witnessed. Howeve,r I loved the story, I loved the characters and the very realistic depiction of war (even though Chise isnt realistic) and hwat it does to people even those uninvolved. An incredible anime by my standards.
Innotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 11:00   Link #58
Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
Some of the dub VAs sound marvelous, but a couple of them are pretty mediocre.

Viz's release excels in some areas and is absolutely horrible in others. The packaging and extras are to die for; the subtitles, however, made me want to kill myself. Grammatical errors and typos are unforgivable in professional releases.
Magux IX, could you possibly go into more detail about the particular VAs you found convincing / mediocre? I wouldn't mind if some of the secondary characters weren't done that well, but Chise and Shuji have some pretty tough emotional scenes to pull off... I was actually blown away by how well the Japanese seiyuu performed the intense dramatic scenes.

I read that Viz actually commissioned the voices from a voice actor school somewhere, rather than hiring 'professionals', so the variance in quality isn't entirely unexpected.

I have the R2 version and the English subtitles are very good. Were the typos (and removal of honorifics) in the Viz subtitles the only issue you had with them? Or were there times when the meaning was changed?
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 23:23   Link #59
Leequid
mouton mouton!!

Send a message via MSN to Leequid
I just finished watching this serie...
You feel happy? It's annoying you? Got nothing against total mental crushing?
Then watch saikano..
Leequid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 04:48   Link #60
h3lldiver

Send a message via ICQ to h3lldiver Send a message via MSN to h3lldiver
one question

is the world destroyed by chise or because of the war? there was a big tsunami right? did chise created the tsunami? or something else has happend
h3lldiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance