AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-16, 19:12   Link #61
Sakuya
*Artist

Interesting. I'll have to download that OP to see. It'd be cool if you could make this for this other action show that is unfortunately in stereo. Well, it's better than mono...but it is still stereo. Oh well, can't have everything can we?

What are the "original soundtrack CDs" though? Do you mean the episodes themselves will have 5.1 as well and not just the opening/ending?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 14:37   Link #62
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Yes.

The Sailor Moon Music Box contains *most* of the BGM used in the show along with cue lists of the BGM that was used in each ep.

Mr Yaoiboy will take rips from the cd and use that the remaster the OST. The DVD's have a monaural AC3 soundtrack but the soundtrack cd's are stereo. Mr Yaoiboy is the master audio expert as he has demonstrated in Harlock.

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 00:35   Link #63
Sakuya
*Artist

Ah, so you're putting it all together all over again and making it 5.1 in the process? So cool! Will you be creating some bass effects as well? I can't seem to convert the test clip opening to DVD so I can't hear the 5.1 sound.
Old 2006-04-22, 02:58   Link #64
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to YaoiBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Ah, so you're putting it all together all over again and making it 5.1 in the process? So cool! Will you be creating some bass effects as well? I can't seem to convert the test clip opening to DVD so I can't hear the 5.1 sound.
The best way to enjoy the 5.1 track is with a 5.1 channel (or higher) enabled soundcard and speakers. Personally, I use the S/PDIF output to run the audio to a home theater. Now, I think the audio for Sailor Stars has been converted to AAC, so I'm not certain the S/PDIF option will work anymore. If there is interest, we can make an MKV edition that would be able to use the native AC3 audio.

I hadn't planned on doing too much work with the sound FX, but I did anyway... The sub is primarily being used to "beef up" the music track. If time allows I may start to do more extensive FX work like I'm using on Harlock, but it takes longer.
YaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 03:37   Link #65
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoiBoy
If there is interest, we can make an MKV edition that would be able to use the native AC3 audio.
That would be great since I think it's a more common format than MP4/AAC. Although I'm just interested in hearing your remixed 5.1 track. I grew tired of Sailor Moon.
Old 2006-04-22, 16:47   Link #66
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Quote:
That would be great since I think it's a more common format than MP4/AAC. Although I'm just interested in hearing your remixed 5.1 track. I grew tired of Sailor Moon.
The AVI version has the AC3 version of the audio track. Looks like the MKV will be unnecessary.
Old 2006-04-22, 18:00   Link #67
Sakuya
*Artist

Yes, I saw. Thanks very much! *goes download* I think Sailor Stars is the only season I watched only once (except for the last few episodes and SuperS, but then I didn't want to watch SuperS ever again).

And I'm curious about what technique you use for remastering the audio from a mono track even. Did you add bass and all that SFX?
Old 2006-04-22, 18:22   Link #68
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yes, I saw. Thanks very much! *goes download* I think Sailor Stars is the only season I watched only once (except for the last few episodes and SuperS, but then I didn't want to watch SuperS ever again).

And I'm curious about what technique you use for remastering the audio from a mono track even. Did you add bass and all that SFX?
I do all the audio editing in Sony's Vegas Video. The original mono track is actually still there most of the time. If there is dialog, I have to use it and simply add to it. If there is no dialog, I can completely replace the audio.

When dialog and music are present together, I mix the stereo music on top to mask out the mono music. This can get tricky! ^_^

I did a bit of FX work like the birds, wind, reverb and "shoujo sprinkles." ^_^

The FX I add come from either an FX library or samples from the show. The music comes from the OST CDs.

If time permits, I'll do more extensive audio work as I become more familiar with the show.
Old 2006-04-22, 18:31   Link #69
Sakuya
*Artist

Interesting, so does this new audio track with its new FX sound exactly the same as the original besides the 5.1 upgrade? Sorry, it's still downloading so I can't hear it yet. Am excited!

Edit:
Okay, I've seen it on my DVD player now. Some feedback. The enhanced 5.1 effects for the songs is prety nice. However for the rest, it sounds like stereo without much "surround sound" coming from the rear speakers. But I guess making a true 5.1 surround sound from a mere mono audio is a pretty difficult task, if at all possible. Keep it up!

Last edited by Sakuya; 2006-04-22 at 21:53.
Old 2006-04-23, 02:14   Link #70
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Quote:
Interesting, so does this new audio track with its new FX sound exactly the same as the original besides the 5.1 upgrade? Sorry, it's still downloading so I can't hear it yet. Am excited!

Edit:
Okay, I've seen it on my DVD player now. Some feedback. The enhanced 5.1 effects for the songs is prety nice. However for the rest, it sounds like stereo without much "surround sound" coming from the rear speakers. But I guess making a true 5.1 surround sound from a mere mono audio is a pretty difficult task, if at all possible. Keep it up!
Ah... It seems the demand is there. This was originally going to be a "music only" remaster, but now that I know people want it, I will indeed do more work the FX!

If you'd like a sample of what I'd consider a more complete remastering, check out our Captain Harlock: Special Edition. I'll try and raise Sailor Stars to this level.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 2006-04-23, 02:16   Link #71
Sakuya
*Artist

Ooh, so it is possible? Thanks. Keep up the great work!
Old 2006-04-23, 07:03   Link #72
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
My first question would be What the big deal so what they are men then women. Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune are gay.
Just my 2 cents
that's easier to cover up than females who have male disguises then transform back to females. You can explain the disguises in the lamest of terms to idiotic american parents, but it's still the fact they'll see it as "crossdressing"

Uranus and Neptune are cousins in the dub I believe...and wtf is up w/ Pluto's name? Trista Mayo...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 14:07   Link #73
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
What I did here was download the xvid version of ep.167, then use Virtual Dub Mod to remove the mp3 soundtrack, then use my favorite mpeg4 to mpeg 2 conversion program to convert the video (cause the audio was already ac3 5.1 nothing had to be done to it), then reauthor it into an ISO file and burn it to a dvd-result-the best looking and sounding Sailor Stars ep. I've ever seen!! And I'm not a fag or female! I"m just a shojo lover.
zrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 00:20   Link #74
Mystery Person X
Magical Boy
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz
and wtf is up w/ Pluto's name? Trista Mayo...
Her first name is Trista, which means "sad", same as the Japanese name (Setsuna). Her surname is Meioh, same as in the Japanese version.
Mystery Person X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 08:19   Link #75
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

ah, I see...damn American language...XD
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 19:49   Link #76
Apocryphal

This is very trivial and is not directly addressed in the anime, but since the earthly forms of the Sailor Stars have the same last names, are they trying to pose as brothers or something?
Apocryphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 18:38   Link #77
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

File format question

Okay folks...

Here is the question: What file format would you prefer to have for the h264 version?

Here are the choices:

1) MP4 file with h264 video and bog standard remastered aac audio but not 5.1 (2.0 stereo) - CURRENTLY USED FORMAT

2) MKV file with h264 video (hard subbed) with 5.1 surround ac3 audio

3) AVI file with h264 video with 5.1 surround ac3 audio

All choices include the original mono track as well. The XviD version will continue to be released as is. The next release will be based on the answers we receive here. HE-AAC 5.1 is not being offered as an option because I'd prefer not to compress the audio any more than necessary. The music is very dynamic and AC3 will let it sound it's best. ^_^
Old 2006-05-02, 18:42   Link #78
yuchan

I'd prefer the avi! But whatever you do is will be appreciated!
yuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 20:56   Link #79
Sakuya
*Artist

Is the MKV the only one that's hard subbed since it's the only one that's noted as that. I'm going to get the normal XviD version so that won't apply to me. But my opinion is that MKV and AVI would be more compatible formats for people.

So how is your audio mastering coming along? You're doing something very unique that I've never seen done before.
Old 2006-05-03, 03:57   Link #80
Mystery Person X
Magical Boy
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal
This is very trivial and is not directly addressed in the anime, but since the earthly forms of the Sailor Stars have the same last names, are they trying to pose as brothers or something?
They all have the same first/personal name, not surname. More info here.
Mystery Person X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shojo