AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-15, 02:57   Link #41
Arya

mmm, I can't really relate much with this issue of being too-cute-to-be-liked to the point to be alienated. but in any case we didn't even have the time to question it that the MC already dropped it, so why bother That or it's just that I cant' relate with the MC herself. But I liked how things got solved with her friends-in-name-only ( ), I was expecting something more closer to a cat-fight, instead they had just a brief conversation.
I like Kou instead and yea he is always there to put a finger on her sore spots. But I like him even for that. I also agree that the window's scene felt a bit random, but probably is due to the compression from the manga. Oh, and his VA is doing a very good job! I'm starting to think that the problem it's not him, but the directors who ask him to scream and scream !!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 03:58   Link #42
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, I can't really relate much with this issue of being too-cute-to-be-liked to the point to be alienated. but in any case we didn't even have the time to question it that the MC already dropped it, so why bother That or it's just that I cant' relate with the MC herself.
What! You're telling me you can't relate to someone who is so perfectly cute and pretty and feminine that all the boys keep throwing themselves at her and allll the other girls are jealous, so she feels she needs to pretend she's not cute and feminine at all so she isn't ostracized by her jealous female peers? No way, I can't believe it.

Really, there are a number of ways this could've worked, but the whole "I'm so cute and popular with the boys that I make all the other girls jelly, oh no!" thing is such a blatant wish-fulfillment I just can't take it seriously, and that ends up influencing the entire show. Especially as I see no tomboys, or just generally non-feminine and/or not beauty queen type girls in the main cast (Futaba, Girly Girl and Black Haired Beauty), so the "don't be afraid to be yourself!" and "don't hate on others for being different!" messages come across as having really, really unfortunate implications.

(And then there's Kou being impossibly cool and wise and alluringly tsundere, with the right amount of "aww poor baby must have had some really bad things happening to him!"...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I'm starting to think that the problem it's not him, but the directors who ask him to scream and scream !!
Well, and the characters who keep screaming... (which is why I say that people keep projecting their annoyance with the characters he plays onto him) But yes, apparently it's a little-known fact that voice actors are being instructed during recording so it's not necessarily their own idea to play characters in certain ways. Anime voice acting being the way it is, seiyuu have tropes and "templates" to fall back on and to use as crutch, but the the voice director still has the last word.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 04:59   Link #43
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

The only thing that is really bothering me it's the music, I can tolerate, hell, I usually enjoy all the shoujo clichés and tropes with their (usually unnintended) implications, but the music... It sounds like the soundtrack of a particularly bad 50's movie and interferes with the moments...
Am I alone on this?
Old 2014-07-15, 08:32   Link #44
Somnus
Eh?

Y'know, a large part of my enjoyment in any medium is how the characters mesh and interact with one another. There has to be a good flow to it. Thankfully (and somewhat surprisingly for me), this show is doing that quite well. Aside from those 2 girls, I really like the 3 main characters we've had focus on thus far, and I appreciate the fact we're going through things at a good pace (very much a fan of Futaba going through changes already).

Also, and this may just be me, but part of me was dreading near the end when Futaba wanted to see Kou. Won't lie, I was expecting to see him tongue deep in some other girl starting some horrible drama that would make any further conversations between the two like pulling teeth.

I was wrong.

I was ecstatic.
Old 2014-07-15, 18:42   Link #45
HandofFate

Best girl so far:

I liked episode 2 more than 1, I kind of disliked episode 1 because it had the standard 'girls are poor friends and really mean' stuff. It was still in episode 2, but I liked the way it handled it.

I still hate Kou.

Cute girl is great, and I like she has some backbone in her.
Long Black Hair girl has a thing for the teacher. I actually felt Futaba should hook up with the teacher, but I guess he's going to be taken.

I liked the fallout with Futaba and her two 'friends'
I was dreading that they were going to shoujo bully her like so many mangas, and it was going to be evil and annoying, so I was glad they cut ties cleanly with no grudge.

The insert song scene was good, its cheesy, but I liked it.
Old 2014-07-15, 22:35   Link #46
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've updated the characters/seiyuus page with pics of four new characters (pics of their seiyuus were already there).

I have enjoyed both eps, but ep2 more than ep1. There was some movement in people's relationships. I am neither seeing nor hoping for "subversion" of shoujo tropes. I'm happy to see standard shoujo tropes being well conveyed. Although it's fair to say that my lukewarmness toward the manga might have had something to do with how ordinary it seemed to me.

I do hope and expect that no girl will be shown to have too much of a thing for the teacher. Those are a kind of shoujo manga I avoid, though I understand how incredibly much more attractive some of the teacher characters are than most of the boys.

When Futaba was looking for Kou near the end, I too expected her to find him with another girl. One cliche not used (so far). I hope for a future that is as sweet as their meeting in the rain in junior high.

It's amazing that the burikko (high-voiced) little boy-magnet is being played by Kayano Ai. Wider and wider range, within her limits.

I liked the deadness in the eyes of the two false friends. Buh-bye. But I still feel some pity for their ordinariness and fearful self-protection (them, too). And the final scene with them was at least somewhat honest. On the other hand, I trust we will see more of Murao-san (long, smooth black hair). I was really struck by her voice (Komatsu Mikako).

It's going to be a difficult passage from apparently indifferent Kou to enamored Kou. Will it make sense? Does his present apparent indifference make sense? Not sure. But it is emotionally effective anyway.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2014-07-15 at 22:46.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 02:11   Link #47
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

The second episode was pretty nice. I can't wait until this gets into the swing of things...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 10:37   Link #48
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
This episode actually kind of irked me until the end. I may be the odd man out but I didn't actually dislike Futaba's "fake friends". I didn't agree with all of their behavior, but I can respect someone who realizes that they just don't mesh with another person, says so and leaves it at that. And, at least they weren't pretending to be "cutesy" girls friend and then talking about her behind her back, something we see a lot of in shows. A small consolation, but I'd rather have what we got then the alternative.

And I just really don't like cutesy girl. You know how people complain about "moeblobs"..yeah, that's how she felt to me. Fake and bland is all I got from her. But now that her and Futaba are about to be friends, maybe we'll see more of her personality, and I'll change my opinion. As it stands, I wouldn't want to hang out with her either. >_>
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 16:51   Link #49
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

So main girl=hypocrite, cutesy girl=pretender, fake friends=back stabbers. But they're still angels comparing to the one I've come across with traits like sweet/innocent but manipulative/scheming and to top that off, clingy as hell.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-17, 21:24   Link #50
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

"This looks pretty good. Maybe I'll watch a shoujo for the first time in a while"

*checks latest manga scanlation out of curiosity*

> Not to my taste at all, nope.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-18, 17:31   Link #51
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
"This looks pretty good. Maybe I'll watch a shoujo for the first time in a while"

*checks latest manga scanlation out of curiosity*

> Not to my taste at all, nope.
It isn't good if it it's THAT out of context, the characters change a lot and chapters are like 40 or so pages long... I feel like you should perhaps try again...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 15:04   Link #52
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
It isn't good if it it's THAT out of context, the characters change a lot and chapters are like 40 or so pages long... I feel like you should perhaps try again...
Spoiler for .:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 14:05   Link #53
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 15:56   Link #54
chaos_animagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
This episode actually kind of irked me until the end. I may be the odd man out but I didn't actually dislike Futaba's "fake friends". I didn't agree with all of their behavior, but I can respect someone who realizes that they just don't mesh with another person, says so and leaves it at that. And, at least they weren't pretending to be "cutesy" girls friend and then talking about her behind her back, something we see a lot of in shows. A small consolation, but I'd rather have what we got then the alternative.

And I just really don't like cutesy girl. You know how people complain about "moeblobs"..yeah, that's how she felt to me. Fake and bland is all I got from her. But now that her and Futaba are about to be friends, maybe we'll see more of her personality, and I'll change my opinion. As it stands, I wouldn't want to hang out with her either. >_>
As for me...
Spoiler for The Dislike:

But peoples saying it gets better later on, so I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide anything.

So far... it's kinda like everyone is fake, no one is real.

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2014-07-21 at 22:47.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-22, 02:06   Link #55
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post

So far... it's kinda like everyone is fake, no one is real.
No one is real, because it's likely the whole cast is carrying a baggage of adolescence self consciousness and insecurities into their interactions. At least, we know that Futaba is being hyper sensitive at this point of time, and very deliberate with her social interactions, because she doesn't feel socially secure at this moment. We know that Kou likely is suffering the after effects of a Family break up, while the cute girl was a pariah in her first year, for choosing to be herself.

I think that's the point the show is making - until these people find their Nakama, the can't be real, because there is no space for them to be themselves. And hence, they put on various fake masks all through out. I wouldn't be surprised, if the five of them create that space among true friends where you could be who you really are, without judgement or condemnation. Of course, I'm speculating on the ED itself, which seems really genuine to me.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-22, 02:36   Link #56
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Agree with what novalysis mentioned above. The point of the series up to now has been people moving away from the very things chaos_animagic mentioned. Isn't that a good thing? ^^

Ep 3

I liked the way things developed here ... and I also liked watching Kou slowly coming out of his shell from Futaba's attentions - and maybe even her growth and courage to change in little ways?

The scene where he lays his head on her shoulder and apologies wholeheartedly for not showing up years back when he saw Futaba beginning to tear up was very d'awwww.

Also liked the scene when everyone in the ED group of five volunteered together for class responsibilities towards the end there.
Old 2014-07-22, 04:53   Link #57
Arya

Very good episode, I like when Kou and Futaba interact with each other, both currently that in the flashbacks. Surely a better episode than the previous one that didn't worked for me. Somehow I think it's because I can't still connect much with Futaba and there something with her voice that doesn't work, but I like very much Kou. Kudos to his brother and that awesome kitty sweater, the front was nice, but the back was something else
Last, someone kill the blond guy, now!! I do hope they'll downplay him quickly or that some vocal disease will hit him soon.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2014-07-22, 08:18   Link #58
LKK

Aww, I like the blond guy. At least in small doses at any rate. I'm not yet sure I'd want an entire story arc starring him. But he lightens the mood for me. As long as he's used as a sweetener, I can handle him. I loved how Futaba had a private countdown until he volunteered because I had started one myself too.

I was touched by Kou's apology. Despite what he claims, he still has it bad for Futaba.

I wonder what's so bad about Kou's home life that he refused to come home for dinner with his brother. They seem to get along fine at school. So Kou's reluctance to be at home with his brother must be related to something at home rather than tied specifically to his brother.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-22, 08:29   Link #59
HandofFate

episode 3 the best one so far.
I really liked the dialogue this episode, and enjoyed Futuba's imo natural responses to conversations. So many female characters that can barely speak a sentence when a character shows up without shuttering or getting nervous all the time.

Its refreshing to see Haru react to people next to her, talking to them, and another person passes by, and she talks to them without silly over-reactive responses.

We finally have our main 5 together and grouped up now at the end of the episode.
Old 2014-07-22, 09:36   Link #60
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Aww, I like the blond guy. At least in small doses at any rate. I'm not yet sure I'd want an entire story arc starring him. But he lightens the mood for me. As long as he's used as a sweetener, I can handle him.
It's not that I completely don't like him either. Now. That was just a preventive stance on my part
I agree about Kou, it had to be something pretty bad to behave in that way. I'm quite curious. I thought about their parent divorce, but now it doesn't seem the case, at least if it didn't go far overboard at some point.

Tags
romance, shoujo