AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-28, 19:06   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Jang Geum's Dream

This Korean anime is an adaptation of a popular Korean drama. I'd like to give my personal thanks to #ppalgan-anime@irc.rizon.net for subbing this because if they hadn't done so I would never have discovered this really great show!

I'm really happy to see another anime that focuses on cooking. Since Yakitate Japan was finished, I've been longing for a cooking anime. They are very rare. So far, besides this, I've only seen Cooking Master Boy, Yakitate Japan and Oishinbo. It is a shame that good anime about cooking is so rare.

I'm also wondering who it was that recommend Jang Geum for the sceening test for court ladies. On the surface it seems that it would have been Han-Sanggung, but somehow I suspect it might have been another. Perhaps it was the King, since he was so fond of those noodles?

While we aren't listing this on AnimeSuki for several reasons, I hope that others will also download the first episode here and try it out. If you like it, at least the first 26 episodes can be found with English subtitles on yesasia. For those who are curious, it isn't listed on AnimeSuki because of both the existence of those subtitled R3 DVDs and the fact that it is Korean, rather than Japanese animation. Enjoy.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-29, 10:26   Link #2
miaka

I've been watching its raw since its been airing in NHK. I love the songs by Younha and the cute chibis characters in the ending credit.

Thank God ... It doesn't follow the original live action series to be so serious and dramatic. The anime just adopt same plots, story concepts and characters.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-29, 19:22   Link #3
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Why "Thank God" that id doesn't follow the original live action series? Did you dislike it? Or was it just too serious for you?

I find there are many dramatic and serious elements on the anime. Jang Geum has a tragic background. People sneer at her for being common and I expect there will be a lot more inter-class trouble after she goes to the screening. There is a plot to kill the king and it seems that Jang Geum will be a suspect.

Isn't that dramatic enough? Or do these elements fail to become important in a story? I'd be somewhat disappointed if this show became a comedic farce.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-29, 19:32   Link #4
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Might this the be same Jang Geum's Dream (here it's titled "Jewel In the Palace") live drama that's outrageously popular in my country (Philippines) right now!? So now they're trying to sell an name AFTER a live action drama!

The opposite trend worked here a couple of years back when they released "Meteor Garden", the Taiwanese live-action adaptation of "Hana Yori Dango"
Old 2006-08-29, 19:37   Link #5
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I love Dae Jang Geum drama so I'm following the animation raws. There's only so much I can understand without subs but really the main reason is to see
Spoiler:
I know in the animation they're kids but still I wish to see a similarity.
Old 2006-08-30, 00:15   Link #6
miaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Why "Thank God" that id doesn't follow the original live action series? Did you dislike it? Or was it just too serious for you?

I find there are many dramatic and serious elements on the anime. Jang Geum has a tragic background. People sneer at her for being common and I expect there will be a lot more inter-class trouble after she goes to the screening. There is a plot to kill the king and it seems that Jang Geum will be a suspect.

Isn't that dramatic enough? Or do these elements fail to become important in a story? I'd be somewhat disappointed if this show became a comedic farce.
i am glad that it didn't follow the story in live action faithfully because its might appeared to be boring and hard to understand for kids. The live action series had more serious plot, tragic events and lots of conspiracies. some of the themes might not suit for young audiences. Theres almost no room for comedy. The anime only follows patterns of events from the live actions and it looks like its going to focus only on the cooking side and not on medicine. Despite of changes, some important elements in the story were welll preserved ( like jang geum tragic past and her personality) so i think the main essense in the story was still there.

I am not totally against the live action series, i've learned some cooking techniques from it. The seriousness in series is okey for me but one thing i don't like in live action is most male characters covered their face with beard/mustache that make them look ugly. Unlike in anime all characters were cute and adorable.
Old 2006-08-30, 00:48   Link #7
Eclipze

Quote:
While we aren't listing this on AnimeSuki for several reasons, I hope that others will also download the first episode here and try it out.
Well, I saw this line/message under the torrent link at that page:
Quote:
Be sure that your logged in ! Users that arn't logged in, will receive a torrent that will not maintain their status !
So, is that of any real concern?
Old 2006-08-30, 00:50   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Interesting. I didn't notice that before I downloaded it. Since I wasn't logged in and I didn't have any trouble downloading it, I'd say that it isn't of any real concern.

miaka: From what you say, it seems the anime has a better balance of drama and fun. I might hunt for the drama sometime so that I can compare the two, but it seems the anime is also more to my taste. Now, what is that about medicine? Why does medicine become important? Or is that a serious spoiler?

Old 2006-08-30, 07:16   Link #9
miaka

Quote:
miaka: From what you say, it seems the anime has a better balance of drama and fun. I might hunt for the drama sometime so that I can compare the two, but it seems the anime is also more to my taste. Now, what is that about medicine? Why does medicine become important? Or is that a serious spoiler?
jang geum is a real historical figure in korean history.
Spoiler for great spoiler:

i also found anime more fun and amusing.

live action version has lot more details from jang geum's parent to her latter life.
Old 2006-08-30, 10:35   Link #10
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

DJG drama is great stuff so you should get it when you have the chance (however you do it). I assure that you will not be disappointed. It's worthy to collect so I'll be getting the set soon.
Old 2006-08-30, 13:23   Link #11
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
I might hunt for the drama sometime so that I can compare the two, but it seems the anime is also more to my taste. Now, what is that about medicine? Why does medicine become important? Or is that a serious spoiler?
Do try to live-action. Unfortunately miaka is one of the few people who talk about the live action drama, and it is far away from what I personally hear about the live action. In my opinion, Dae Jang Geum is the best korean drama I have ever seen - and far less sappy and stupid as most of them. While apparently not many people care about the anime, the drama is really, really popular all over the world - and deservedly so.

Yes, the drama is serious - but it is a lot more mature in my opinion, the characters are more complex and tragic, the storyline more suspenseful and less generic. Without being too emo, the dorama gives insights into Janggeum's psychology. *sigh* (On the other hand, I have only seen the first episode, and written about it here.)

I am a hopeless Dae Janggeum fangirl, so I will watch this anime in case it doesn't get on my nerves too much...

Oh by the way, there also is Addicted to Curry which is a manga about cooking. Considering how popular Yakitate Japan and Oishinbo are, I think that cooking manga are a hit *hrr*
Old 2006-08-30, 22:08   Link #12
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

I'm glad you guys like the show! I do have a request. If you guys know any good timers that would like to help us out, please send em to our channel. Episode 2's script is stuck at timing.
Old 2006-12-22, 21:33   Link #13
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Episode 2 is out, along with a version 2 of episode 1. Our TL had family issues, and is still missing, but we will do our best to get episode 3 out soon.
Old 2006-12-23, 15:19   Link #14
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Could you reconsider your policy of not listing this title since the series is "out of print"?
Old 2006-12-23, 21:09   Link #15
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

there's still the issue of it being Korean. Then again, most anime is drawn by Korean animation studios so I don't see the big deal.
Old 2006-12-24, 06:50   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

That's true. Lots of Japanese animation scenes get outsourced to Korea. Korean animation should receive recognition. The blanket definition for anime should be recognized imo.

Thanks for ep. 1 and 2.
Old 2007-05-29, 03:22   Link #17
WesY2K

Hi!

Since it's a long time now... will there be more eps?
Old 2007-05-29, 06:24   Link #18
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

We have the script for episode 3. I've been busy with other stuff to get a chance to time it. The problem is that we have no more translator. So unless someone wants to help us out, the project is basically over after episode 3.
Old 2007-07-18, 17:15   Link #19
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

episode 3!
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=1390

more release info on our website. there's some interesting stuff so please read.
http://ppalgananime.wordpress.com/
Old 2007-08-25, 18:09   Link #20
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

episode 4
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=1829