AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-05-05, 08:20   Link #36441
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
In the battle between Ukraine and Russian separatists, shady private armies take the field
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...ake-the-field/

Gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas monitored for years
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NP01G20150505

NYPD officer shot in head dies, commissioner cites historic anti-police sentiment
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NP1LG20150504
__________________
ganbaru is offline  
Old 2015-05-06, 11:21   Link #36442
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Here comes some hope for peace.

Hezbollah leader: We will collapse if Assad loses in Syria


No more state-sponsored actors fighting in Palestine-Israel. Let Hamas and Likud sort out their differences.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-06, 12:03   Link #36443
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Here comes some hope for peace.

Hezbollah leader: We will collapse if Assad loses in Syria


No more state-sponsored actors fighting in Palestine-Israel. Let Hamas and Likud sort out their differences.
There's still Iran but they might be more about supporting a present actor than having their own puppet on the field.
__________________
ganbaru is offline  
Old 2015-05-06, 14:41   Link #36444
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
There's still Iran but they might be more about supporting a present actor than having their own puppet on the field.
Iran's puppet is Hezbollah.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-06, 22:03   Link #36445
Rizare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Bill C-51 passes in House of Commons

From what I understand, bill C-51 is the equivalent of the Patriot Act in Canada and Big Brother is coming to get us.
Rizare is online now  
Old 2015-05-06, 23:55   Link #36446
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 05:34   Link #36447
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
What, no police officers disguised as pizza deliverymen?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 05:59   Link #36448
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Whoa. What a messed up system. They should probably scarp the SATs for something better like the UK's GCSEs.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 07:15   Link #36449
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Why socialist Bernie Sanders may just shake up the 2016 presidential race
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...idential-race/

China warns Philippine military planes away from disputed sea area: Manila
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NS0GN20150507

China, Russia to hold first joint Mediterranean naval drills in May
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NL16F20150430
__________________
ganbaru is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 10:31   Link #36450
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Whoa. What a messed up system. They should probably scarp the SATs for something better like the UK's GCSEs.
I remember my Physics 'A' 8 years ago which many students complained about the terrible English - the examiners had to clarify 2 questions, one regarding a circuit diagram and another regard Bernoulli's effect.

Standardised tests are just as terrible. I had a dyslexic in my school who, despite given extra time, still only managed a pass on all papers despite being insanely good in Math and Physics.

The issue is that standardised testing is taken too seriously. It shouldn't be a parameter into doing well in life. Stick to course-related university entrance exams.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 12:01   Link #36451
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Exams are stupid metric anyway. I'm starting to see places move away from using them, well hints of it. Many of the teachers and lecturers I know have grown to hate them and consider them to be a poor and temporary substitute for real world usage and practice. More so when you factor in things like the internet and how readily available information is these days.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 13:07   Link #36452
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Exams are stupid metric anyway. I'm starting to see places move away from using them, well hints of it. Many of the teachers and lecturers I know have grown to hate them and consider them to be a poor and temporary substitute for real world usage and practice. More so when you factor in things like the internet and how readily available information is these days.
I am fine with it as an entrance exam, or taking up a 30-30-40 weightage (project-test-exam). But the British have a huge influence over international testing standards - their exams still use 100% testing even in ICL.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 13:19   Link #36453
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Why socialist Bernie Sanders may just shake up the 2016 presidential race
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...idential-race/
Very interesting piece. I don't think his campaign will mount on much through (like Jon Steward hinted at ' how he has a strong ideal and consistent all his life with his policy, but that's what will make Hillary be able to crush him'.

But still whatever he could bring on the table, even at minimum, will be something different from what already being there. So definitely will make things more interesting
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 15:28   Link #36454
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hokkaido
Age: 69
Singapore Teen Pleads Not Guilty over Video Attacking Lee Kuan Yew and Christianity

I found it strange that he did not testify on his own behalf, nor did either side call any witnesses. Is this such an open-and-shut case under Singaporean law that he must be hoping to overturn the law itself? Is there any equivalent to American "judicial review" of legislation?
SeijiSensei is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 15:47   Link #36455
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Exams are stupid metric anyway. I'm starting to see places move away from using them, well hints of it. Many of the teachers and lecturers I know have grown to hate them and consider them to be a poor and temporary substitute for real world usage and practice. More so when you factor in things like the internet and how readily available information is these days.
So what would be the alternative? You still have to test the students.
monster is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 16:07   Link #36456
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
Teachers were complaining at least 20 years ago that they were being made to teach to the test rather than teach. My mother retired in 2000 after 30 years of teaching high school partily because the school districts were starting to ask the question in the way of "what will your students learn this year" as oppose to "what will you teach your students this year". You can teach all you like but you cannot force someone to learn. She had a few students that were only in her class because they had be there by law. They learned nothing, they disrupted the class making it difficult not only for other students to learn, but for the teacher to teach, as they spend more time not quite disciplining the teen as teacher at very limited to what they can actually do anymore. They put no effort into anything and fail the class, only to be required to take the class again until they are 18 years old and are no longer required by law to be in school.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 17:13   Link #36457
Top Sergeant
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: By that dark and bloody river called Ohio.
Age: 53
Recently the "1914 California 6th Grade Reader" was republished as an e-pub on Amazon. It was what was used a century ago to teach grade school children. Sadly, too many of todays High School graduates would not be able to read it as they don't have the skill to do so.
__________________
The sword that takes life gives life.
-Japanese proverb
Top Sergeant is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 18:11   Link #36458
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Teachers were complaining at least 20 years ago that they were being made to teach to the test rather than teach. My mother retired in 2000 after 30 years of teaching high school partily because the school districts were starting to ask the question in the way of "what will your students learn this year" as oppose to "what will you teach your students this year". You can teach all you like but you cannot force someone to learn. She had a few students that were only in her class because they had be there by law. They learned nothing, they disrupted the class making it difficult not only for other students to learn, but for the teacher to teach, as they spend more time not quite disciplining the teen as teacher at very limited to what they can actually do anymore. They put no effort into anything and fail the class, only to be required to take the class again until they are 18 years old and are no longer required by law to be in school.
What's your law because it sounds dumb. I don't know if they only acted like that in her class or everywhere but why are they not flat out expelled? It's their life and if they want to run hard mode by not having a graduation certificate, that not the school's problem.
Eisdrache is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 19:18   Link #36459
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Singapore Teen Pleads Not Guilty over Video Attacking Lee Kuan Yew and Christianity

I found it strange that he did not testify on his own behalf, nor did either side call any witnesses. Is this such an open-and-shut case under Singaporean law that he must be hoping to overturn the law itself? Is there any equivalent to American "judicial review" of legislation?
After the late 1980s Operation Spectrum, there has been a general fear of witness or legal assistance for anyone convicted of "sedition". Hence no one is willing to stand for him.

There is alot of political motivation behind this case being pushed to court, ranging from overzealous Christians and political supporters of the incumbent. The case would most likely be a conviction, may or not amount to charge, and quickly swept under the carpet to prevent social unrest.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2015-05-07, 19:43   Link #36460
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So what would be the alternative? You still have to test the students.
Assessments/projects. A good lot of the units at my Uni consist of minor and major assessments making the bulk of the mark with quiz's tossed in at a ratio of like 30/50/20% respectively (with the % divided into how many bits they have). Some don't bother with the quizzes and the minor assessment is broken up into pieces spread over the semester. It doesn't quite work for every unit yet, but they'll get to it eventually I'd say. The argument is that it's a better method of reinforcement, since exams are more about regurgitation then practical application.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.