Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-03, 14:33   Link #201
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If they wore what Lara Croft does they'd be no more protected than they are already, anyway.

So you like girls in tight shorts more than you like girls in short skirts. Understood. But don't pretend that this is anything more than a personal aesthetic preference. In which case, it's no more or less legitimate than what otakus tend to go for.
Hey, it's still called a survival gear!

Quote:
Worse complaint after you watched it, because you obviously should have expected it going in.
Hey, I was criticized before for complaining without eve watching a single episode.

Quote:
This is like someone complaining about super robots in a show that clearly presents itself as a mecha show.
It's not the same.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 14:39   Link #202
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The last time I said 'enjoy the anime first and talk about it after everything's done', I got hit with a nasty string of bad rep I'm quite content to see how things turn out: the setting alone is what I came for. High school girls in serafuku or men equipped with top-spec armour, the fact remains that Coppelion is set in an intriguing world akin to Alan Weisman's texts.
Old 2013-10-03, 14:40   Link #203
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
It's not the same.
Sure it's the same. The show was very clearly promoted as "Three bioengineered high school girls explore a radiation-infested disaster area".

The main takeaways of Coppellion's promotion are "high school girls" and "post-apocalyptic scenario".

But, Ok, if you want me to get an even more accurate analogy - This is like complaining about Zombies showing up in Dawn of the Dead.
Old 2013-10-03, 14:45   Link #204
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
But, Ok, if you want me to get an even more accurate analogy - This is like complaining about Zombies showing up in Dawn of the Dead.
Heard of High School of the Dead? You know why it's criticized? High school students in zombie land..... If they're happen to be all girls.... damn.. that would be also hot for yuri shipping....
Old 2013-10-03, 15:19   Link #205
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Sure it's the same. The show was very clearly promoted as "Three bioengineered high school girls explore a radiation-infested disaster area".

The main takeaways of Coppellion's promotion are "high school girls" and "post-apocalyptic scenario".

Well no, it isn't. You can't do zombie movies without zombies, but you can do post-apocalyptic scenarios without high school girls.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 15:24   Link #206
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Well no, it isn't.
You're wrong. It's the same.

Quote:
You can't do zombie movies without zombies, but you can do post-apocalyptic scenarios without high school girls.
You can do sci-fi without mecha, and you can do apocalyptic without zombies.

But if a show promotes itself as having mecha specifically, or as having zombies specifically, then it's frankly ridiculous to complain about that showing up in the show.

Complaining about high school girls dressed like high school girls in this anime is like complaining about super robots that look like standard issue super robots in a mecha show, or complaining about zombies in Dawn of the Dead. It is similarly ridiculous.
Old 2013-10-03, 15:36   Link #207
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Sure it makes sense. Survival gear is heavy. It's better for them to be lightly attired given the amount of walking they're doing. Just look at how much complaining two of them did even being as lightly attired as they are. If they had to walk around with survival gear on top of that they'd probably pass out from exhaustion.

People who make a big deal about the school uniforms are, yes, HUGELY nitpicking.

I'm honestly amazed at all the complaints people are making over it. The three girls in school uniforms was right there in the promo image for this show on the Fall 2013 season preview chart!
Quote:
Complaining about high school girls dressed like high school girls in this anime is like complaining about super robots that look like standard issue super robots in a mecha show, or complaining about zombies in Dawn of the Dead. It is similarly ridiculous.
This is plain sophistry.

I get it, this is not a big deal from your point of view, but for others we take significant issue with it. I don't care that the previews of this show had girls in school uniforms, I would've complained about it back then if you asked me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 15:46   Link #208
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is plain sophistry.
No, it isn't. It's a very fitting analogy.

If you think that super robots as serious parts of an intergalactic war effort is unacceptably silly, then it's silly to watch Gundam Seed and start complaining about this.

Similarly, if you think that bioengineered girls dressed like this going into a disaster area is unacceptably silly, then it's silly to watch Coppelion and start complaining about this.

In both cases, you're complaining about a core part of the show that was very clearly promoted. "High school girls dressed as high school girls" is just as much a part of this show as super robots are to a Gundam show.

Quote:
I get it, this is not a big deal from your point of view, but for others we take significant issue with it.
Which is no more sensible than taking significant issue with super robots in a Gundam show.

If somebody can't get beyond the high school uniform, then Coppelion is simply not for that person.
Old 2013-10-03, 15:58   Link #209
zamas

Aren't they in school uniform silply because they're high school girls ? And not soldier from what we saw. I mean their boss called himself vice principal. It does not look like the girls were physically trained.And since they're immune to radiation and not supposed to take action, there would be no need for survival gear.

But you're right I guess, it does not make any sense to send young girls into a wasteland. They are highschool girl because it's a story about highschool girls investigating a nuclear wasteland. It's not about military forces investigating a nuclear wasteland. You'll have to do with that.
zamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 16:09   Link #210
molitar

Ok I compared the manga and the anime.. damn they make the anime so non-realistic with the gravity defying skirts to make sure to show no panties but in the manga there is a couple brief glimpses and of course when she cart wheels they are in plain sight.

So they decide to take a show that is very down to earth and than let's make it unrealistic with gravity defying skirts that never showing girls panties. I hate it when they take realism out for the sake of not showing panties. If they did not want to show panties than they could of at least done what they did in Toaru with Mikoto and put on shorts or that underneath.

If they keep the ridiculous non reality gravity defying skirts in the show it is going to turn me off because the manga is actually well written and neither gravity or centrifugal force is ignored. The author even explained how the girls can survive in the radiation and the drug they use to help the victims. He put a lot of thought into it and seeing reality thrown out the window for a manga that is based with as much reality as possible is insulting.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 16:15   Link #211
D-Joe

To be fair,the PV already show up they are wear High school uniforms,it's not like they wear exoskeleton suit in the PV then bam!actually they wear High school uniforms in ep1
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 16:19   Link #212
MartianMage

Well if you ask me I find the length of their skirts more eye-brow raising than the fact that they're in school uniforms. Uhhh... as my brother have said... it's like panty length... quite a miracle that they minimized the panty shots especially with the camera angles they're using. Heck I'd even call nopan at this point lmao.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 17:20   Link #213
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
In both cases, you're complaining about a core part of the show that was very clearly promoted. "High school girls dressed as high school girls" is just as much a part of this show as super robots are to a Gundam show.
Yeah, no.

Quote:
Which is no more sensible than taking significant issue with super robots in a Gundam show.

If somebody can't get beyond the high school uniform, then Coppelion is simply not for that person.
If you had high school girls in school uniforms piloting the super robots instead of military uniforms, then your analogy would be accurate.
Old 2013-10-03, 17:25   Link #214
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamas View Post
Aren't they in school uniform silply because they're high school girls ? And not soldier from what we saw. I mean their boss called himself vice principal. It does not look like the girls were physically trained.And since they're immune to radiation and not supposed to take action, there would be no need for survival gear.
Ok, biologically engineered students have nothing to do with the military?

Quote:
It's not about military forces investigating a nuclear wasteland. You'll have to do with that.
The fact that their vice principal is riding a military chopper and sometimes called a commander?
Old 2013-10-03, 18:31   Link #215
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah, no.
My analogy is perfectly fine, and what you're replying to is perfectly accurate in spite of your contention to the contrary.

Does this anime not feature high school girls in high school uniforms very prominently and frequently, almost constantly? Is that not the imagery that was used to promote the show?

How is this any different from an anime featuring Super Robots very prominently and frequently, almost constantly?

Heck, if anything, super robots usually don't take up as much screentime in mecha shows as what these high school girls take up in this show.

Quote:
If you had high school girls in school uniforms piloting the super robots instead of military uniforms, then your analogy would be accurate.
My analogy is accurate anyway. I don't even get what point you're trying to make here.
Old 2013-10-03, 18:34   Link #216
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Does this anime not feature high school girls in high school uniforms very prominently and frequently, almost constantly? Is that not the imagery that was used to promote the show? .
Yeah, just for show..... denying realism to cater sera fuku fetish......
Old 2013-10-03, 18:40   Link #217
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Yeah, just for show..... denying realism to cater sera fuku fetish......
Many argue that Super Robots aren't realistic either, and exist to cater to a different sort of male fantasy.

In any event, there's been some good in-canon reasons given on this thread for why the girls are dressed the way they are. It shouldn't be that hard for people to roll with it.
Old 2013-10-03, 18:44   Link #218
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

For the life of me, I can't see why so many people are hung up about the school uniform issue. If it's that big a deal that you can't enjoy (or tolerate) the show otherwise, why not just not bother watching it? Really, folks, if you're able to suspend your dis-belief for something in practically every single animated series out there (I hope I don't actually have to give examples), why not for this, as well? Instead, why not complain that 2036 is way too early (if at all) to be able to scientifically create a non-cloned, DNA modified "human" that can walk into a red-hot nuclear wasteland without any protective gear whatsoever? You are suspending dis-belief for that ruse, aren't you?

And if people think that this episode is crap because there aren't any panty shots, perhaps they should go watch some hentai anime to relieve their frustration.

So, instead of arguing about whether or not the girls should wear school uniforms, commando gear, or even just bras and panties, why not discuss some of the more obvious and important issues here, like: what makes us "human?"

I've read the manga (if there were any panty shots, I don't remember them), and I gotta say that this episode was every bit as good as the manga was, if not even better, as far as it went. The cinematography was far better than I would have imagined. The "Old Capitol" was very much like it was in the manga, and the girls were very much like I would have imagined. Unlike most 1st episodes of any manga that I've actually read, I've got nothing to complain about here. If I were to rate it, I'd give it an 11 out of 10.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 18:48   Link #219
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
In any event, there's been some good in-canon reasons given on this thread for why the girls are dressed the way they are. It shouldn't be that hard for people to roll with it.
I agree if they can give such....
Old 2013-10-03, 19:21   Link #220
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
My analogy is perfectly fine, and what you're replying to is perfectly accurate in spite of your contention to the contrary.

Does this anime not feature high school girls in high school uniforms very prominently and frequently, almost constantly? Is that not the imagery that was used to promote the show?

How is this any different from an anime featuring Super Robots very prominently and frequently, almost constantly?

Heck, if anything, super robots usually don't take up as much screentime in mecha shows as what these high school girls take up in this show.
So what it if it was promoted with it? If your argument is, "based on promotions you shouldn't of expected differently," that's one matter (One that isn't your problem since you're not me who is watching it). It's a whole other matter to discuss whether this aspect works intelligibly with the setting and story.

When someone mentioned zombies earlier, they were saying you cannot have a zombie apocalypse without zombies. No if's, and's or but's.

You also cannot have a gundam story without a gundam, whether they be super robots or not. There is a large part of the gundam fandom that hates AU gundam stories. One big reason is because they in fact DO think it's really stupid that there gundams that can destroy entire planets and colonies in one shot like in gundam seed (Which IMO is one of the worst gundam titles of all time). The reason they hate it? The combat starts to become very dreary, with beam spamming and lack of tactical strategy, among other things.

Now Copellion so far is presented as an apocalyptic survival story in a destroyed Tokyo. The main characters are bioengineered students of some military school (essentially they are soldiers, but whatever). It's a bit far fetched for me to believe that a MILITARY school would send these students in school uniforms instead of proper gear. What I am also saying is that the cynic inside me can't help but believe that these characters are all girls because they wanted to provide otaku pandering for more money. Let's face it, if the characters were all rugged men like our commander in episode 1, it would sell for **** in Japan.

Yes, the promotion image featured girls in school uniforms. Who cares really. I can still comment on the work, and I think there's a fundamental issue with the setting. If you're trying to sell this apocalyptic hard sci-fi survival story in all seriousness, I expect the creators to take the details seriously as well. Making a cast full of high school girls in high school uniforms is going to detract from the goal. Moreover, having kana hana ham up a moe-kawaii girl performance to the max in episode one is also going to detract. I'm all for some more colorful personalities, but this went way too far.

Quote:
My analogy is accurate anyway. I don't even get what point you're trying to make here.
Read above.

Tags
post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, seinen, supernatural powers