Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-20, 00:11   Link #761
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post

what made R2 kind of overrated is the fact that they not only changed the whole script
I'm amazed at how many people still believe this. No they didn't change the whole script, they changed the first couple of episodes to ease in new viewers because of the new timeslot. I've read the original ideas for those episodes had the timeslot not been changed and they both can link up with the current R2 script easily around episode 4.

Anyway, I'd still put Code Geass (both seasons combined) on my overrated list, but as of recently I think the bashing has surpassed the overrating of it in sheer overkill absurdity. It's mostly just become trendy to rag on the show for anything and everything to do with it's writing and characterization and most of the "critiques" I see are more over the top and zany then the show itself, not to mention coming from just not paying attention or reading between the lines of the dialogue. It's overcomplicated with it's story because of just how much happens at any given time, I will admit that, but with a little effort it's still easy to work out how x character got to point y in their motivations and why plot point a lead to b lead to c.

Basically it could easily go on a pair of most overrated and most overbashed series lists without a hitch, and that's not something you can say for most shows.

Still if you want to look at shows that seem to pander directly to 2ch then never mind Code Geass, the champion is still Lucky Star, which is also on my list of overrated series. It's like they ran through a check list of everything that has ever been popular with Otaku in the history of the subculture. I imagine the brainstorming session for skits going a little like this, "Let's see....MMO's...check...Haruhi....check....Dragon Ball....yes yes....Super Robot Wars....excellent....Gundam.....we'll have to censor but sure, why not....video games....uh huh.....Yuri.....would we ever not aha aha aha....Dragon Quest....oh you better believe that's going in......Code Geass......YES!". It's like every skit is an extended love letter to 2ch and deliberate flattery of the otaku lifestyle. Just saying, at least the writers of Geass have the balls to pull the once over on the viewers and screw with the popular characters in ways that almost seems sadistically cruel. "You like this character a lot.....well too bad, she's going to die and your other favourite character is going to suffer for it as well....so there". Even if they did just suddenly give C2 a midriff barring outfit out of nowhere sometime during the second half of the season in what is clearly a fanservice move.

Seriously, if they were deliberately pandering in all cases with Geass then Lelouch would have no character struggle and would always win instead of sometimes losing (ala Kira Yamato), Suzaku would be taking down KF's with his bare hands (Master Asia style), there wouldn't have just been implied Yaoi tensions between Rolo and Lelouch, and Anya Earlstreim, Tian Zi, Kaguya and Nunally would be getting 10x more screentime.

By the way, I love how back when Haruhi and Lucky Star were first airing, anytime I would try to claim that they weren't as stupendous as people said they were and I had the "gall" to give an episode a 7 or a 6, people were all like, "GTFO THE BOARD!". Now everybody basically has the same opinion of them as I did/do and they top many overrated series lists in this thread. Nice....very nice....but like 2 years after the fact when it came to me getting flamed over what now very much appears to be nothing.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-09-20 at 01:38.
Old 2008-09-20, 01:08   Link #762
mg1942

Haruhi Suzumiya

6 real episodes
8 filler episodes.

However, this show was revolutionary in terms of production. It showcased KyoAni's approach to anime. It had quality unseen on most TV anime series.
Old 2008-09-20, 03:10   Link #763
Trebors
rolf rolf

Send a message via MSN to Trebors Send a message via Yahoo to Trebors
mine is according to ANN top 100

1 neon genesis - sure it is decent and has a story. but to say that it is the best? nah.
rate of others-masterpiece (11/11) - 100%
my rate - decent (7/11) - 64%

2 monster - same with NGE, i gets sleepy when watching. no excitement and yet rated very very good.
my rate - good (8/11) - 73%

3 grave of the fireflies -a good show with good drama. but not in an extend that it is a masterpiece.

4 cowboy bebop -im a sci fi fan but i never get why i didn't like this. anyway it is overrated because it ranks 4

5 mushishi -the reason why i like this show is because of the nice music and nice story. but it is not really epic as they say because it has no one story. each episode has their own story, which makes this a boring show
my rate - very good (9/11) - 82%

Last edited by Trebors; 2008-09-20 at 03:24.
Old 2008-09-20, 09:32   Link #764
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
By the way, I love how back when Haruhi and Lucky Star were first airing, anytime I would try to claim that they weren't as stupendous as people said they were and I had the "gall" to give an episode a 7 or a 6, people were all like, "GTFO THE BOARD!". Now everybody basically has the same opinion of them as I did/do and they top many overrated series lists in this thread. Nice....very nice....but like 2 years after the fact when it came to me getting flamed over what now very much appears to be nothing.
What's your point? Controversy and popularity are inextricably linked in anime. The more popular something is, the more vocal its detractors will be. You think you're special because you were the first the stand up to the wall of Haruhi zealots and now everyone has apparently followed your lead on the show. There's as much a consensus on Haruhi as there is on Code Geass, and you're kidding yourself if you want to suggest that you've influenced people's opinions on either. Why don't you get over yourself.
Old 2008-09-20, 10:32   Link #765
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Anyway, I'd still put Code Geass (both seasons combined) on my overrated list, but as of recently I think the bashing has surpassed the overrating of it in sheer overkill absurdity. It's mostly just become trendy to rag on the show for anything and everything to do with it's writing and characterization and most of the "critiques" I see are more over the top and zany then the show itself, not to mention coming from just not paying attention or reading between the lines of the dialogue.
Is "reading between the lines" the new way of saying "being too much of a fanboy/girl so as to just refuse to see how very much nonsensical the plot is"? Not much wrong with that attitude actually, I personally enjoy immensely quite a few shows which have massive plotholes...but I don't try to pretend that those who see the plotholes and are bothered by them "don't get the plot".

Old 2008-09-20, 10:33   Link #766
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
You have nothing to support your claim. Lucky star finished in 17-09-2007, hardly 2 years. Haruhi does indeed have 2 years. People will always come and troll after the show is over, that doesn't mean they actually liked it when it aired, they weren't there afterall. As for the "GTFO THE BOARD!", its your problem; that comment would easily fall as harassment or personal attack, you could have reported it. And lastly, nobody cares about "[you] getting flame". We don't exactly know how young, sensible or emo you are (you might even take offence from this very sentence).

As for the explanation on CG development, please try to understand some of us just don't care about filling the gaps by "reading between the lines". As far as I'm concern its like a character goes from one country to another and I'm suppose to fill 60-90 pages of plot on why this is posible now, why this wasn't posible until now, why is this happening etc. It doesn't really help when peoples explanations seem to be 1-line-plot-hole or 6-7 paragrph huge posts (how exactly do you place pages in-betwean the lines?). Also, R2 more then any other show really seems to need a lot of "reading between the lines". Honestly, am I watching the show or reading invisible plot? /retorical question That's really the only reason I think its overrated, everything else about it has a tiny bit of originality.

Last edited by felix; 2008-09-20 at 15:55. Reason: lol, how did I mix the name in the quote
Old 2008-09-20, 14:28   Link #767
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Is "reading between the lines" the new way of saying "being too much of a fanboy/girl so as to just refuse to see how very much nonsensical the plot is"? Not much wrong with that attitude actually, I personally enjoy immensely quite a few shows which have massive plotholes...but I don't try to pretend that those who see the plotholes and are bothered by them "don't get the plot".
No, it's called making up my own mind instead of following popular trends. It's also called most of what people refer to as plot holes actually aren't. I also love how people keep calling me fanboy just because I refuse to follow some stupid trend about a show. Keep it up....
Old 2008-09-20, 15:21   Link #768
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Sometimes what is perceived as a plot hole is indeed a plot hole and so much so that no interpretational sophistics can make it appear any less of a plot hole - unless one is so in love with the show in question that they willingly or unwillingly deny this fact. And there are quite a few of those holes in Code Geass.

You can call it a trend, I'd say it's just people finally perceiving the obvious and deciding enough is enough. So maybe it is a trend but it is based on honest opinions and not just on group mentality...although I don't feel competent talknig about that as I don't really read the Geass forum.

Old 2008-09-20, 19:27   Link #769
Xhokhusmak

Quote:
No, it's called making up my own mind instead of following popular trends. It's also called most of what people refer to as plot holes actually aren't. I also love how people keep calling me fanboy just because I refuse to follow some stupid trend about a show. Keep it up....
Lol following a trend. You're following a trend of "my opinion is one-of-a-kind and special". Lucky Star had plenty of 6-7s when the first episode aired. It seems that there's lots of people just as special as you!

Just so you know how it works, when a new anime comes out, people that watch it and like it will follow it to its end first, and rate it high accorrdingly, because they like it. For those which the anime's taste didn't suit, they put off the show and ignore it until a later time after watching and being turned off by the first few episodes (thus not bothering with the rating poll), and usually when they finally come back to watch that anime that doesn't suit them after it finished airing, they won't rate it so high. You're just one that stuck around despite your dislike of the hype and you also happen to have a very loud and annoying mouth that bothered the others that were enjoying it.

Quote:
It doesn't really help when peoples explanations seem to be 1-line-plot-hole or 6-7 paragrph huge posts (how exactly do you place pages in-betwean the lines?).
This is animesuki. They really don't have anything better to do! Guilty here too, btw XD
Old 2008-09-20, 21:07   Link #770
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebors View Post

2 monster - same with NGE, i gets sleepy when watching. no excitement and yet rated very very good.
my rate - good (8/11) - 73%
Well, to enjoy Monster (and not get scared by it), you'll have to have one or two screws loose in terms of emotions. I found that my heart has gone stone-cold very easily after watching this. Which is probably why I feel that Grave of the Fireflies is over-rated, along with most other tear-jerkers.
Old 2008-09-20, 22:22   Link #771
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

dbz-good show, but not really good in terms of story development and mindless shounen fights aka got a new power boost and seemingly invincible opponent seems like a noob all of a sudden
pokemon-this show just go down hill after its first season
code geass r1 and r2 - nice mechs and got some surprise factors to it, but it is pretty generic when it is stack up against the other mech shows, it is good but not a masterpiece.
bleach-same reason as dbz, but with better story development
naruto-feeling bad for the females in the show (most of them are either assistants or just not as good as their male counter parts), and too many fillers in between fights.
Old 2008-09-21, 03:00   Link #772
nexocentric
俺は!僕は…あたしは?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
Lol following a trend. You're following a trend of "my opinion is one-of-a-kind and special". Lucky Star had plenty of 6-7s when the first episode aired. It seems that there's lots of people just as special as you!

Just so you know how it works, when a new anime comes out, people that watch it and like it will follow it to its end first, and rate it high accorrdingly, because they like it. For those which the anime's taste didn't suit, they put off the show and ignore it until a later time after watching and being turned off by the first few episodes (thus not bothering with the rating poll), and usually when they finally come back to watch that anime that doesn't suit them after it finished airing, they won't rate it so high. You're just one that stuck around despite your dislike of the hype and you also happen to have a very loud and annoying mouth that bothered the others that were enjoying it.

This is animesuki. They really don't have anything better to do! Guilty here too, btw XD
I think Radd summed this thread up best.
Spoiler for Not a spoiler, Just a big quote about what Radd originally posted:

Please don't mistake this for me saying that this thread is stupid. I'm not saying that at all. People who are reading this are reading it for one of a few reason.
1. They want to find someone to criticize so that they can feel like they are superior in intellect
2. They have a true interest in what other's think about what is overrated
3. They want others to know the "truth" becaue they know it and others don't
4. They (like me) love anime and have nothing better to do so they are (with a grain of salt) reading an interesting thread on animesuki

I don't know about you, but I for one am finding this interesting, especially the people who give reason for why they think X. I guess when I achieve reading someone's opinion with an open mind I have taken a step in the direction of tolerance for others.( I'm not an idealist! I want everyone in CG to die! And that's that....)

Anyway, my top 5

1. Evangelion
I really didn't like the end... it was to graphic for me. It actually disturbed me to the point that I spent several nights debating whether I should sleep or watch the end of eva again to see if watching it another time would erase the graphic images from my mind... 4 years later I still pee in my bed over that show(Damn perfect series evas.....). The end basically ruined the rest of the series for me. Other wise it would have been great!!!

2. Sailor Moon
The manga has a much better pace in comparison to the anime. It was also my gateway anime....(If that means anything to anyone...)

3. Lucky Star
Episode (x) did me in....No anime should be allowed to tell the truth about the real world
(Something along the lines of)
(Konata: You always see otaku guys posting on message boards about how they'd like to date a girl with similar interests, but why is it that you never see girls posting on message boards about the same thing? Maybe it's because girls are more easily allured into the anime world?)
I do like the opening song! (Tried doing it a karaoke... but it's too fast)

4. Anything Jiburi
This is not because it isn't good. It's because it's the only anime that is acceptable to watch. I kind of dislike people that make fun of others for having different interests or tastes in things... Also... the only thing they say here is everything is cute. Jiburi is cute so it is liked by everyone in Japan because if something isn't cute or beautiful it apparently deserves no place here....

5. Anything that has the super pressurized blood effect going on....
I'm pretty weak to blood. Those animes are probably awesome... but I have an overactive imagination....
Spoiler for This definitely falls under the category of T.M.I look only if you're brave:
Old 2008-09-22, 13:14   Link #773
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
Any "top whatever" list is a poll of opinions. Opinions are based on many things.

"Does this have any real merits that appeal to me?"
I believe this ranks very low for most people, as far as their priorities for deciding what they "like" and what they don't.

"Is this popular with others?"
Mob mentality is a very real phenominon. Much of our culture and society is based on this principle. If something gains popularity with enough people, others will join in simply because they are led to believe that it is "cool" to like it. On the other hand, some people will choose to dislike something, despite any merits it may have, simply because the person in question wants to stand apart from the crowd. Further muddying this principle, there are those who will see a growing number of people disliking a show because it's popular, and then they throw in with that crowd because they want to be an individual, but only if it's just like everybody else.

"Was this created by someone who has done other stuff I've ranked highly?"
For some people, there are those who can do no wrong. Perhaps there is a creator that made something they really, really liked. Many will tend to praise everything they do, regardless of how well the actual product is. The same goes for franchises. Look at Star Trek, all the shows are very different and I would argue show a huge gap in quality levels, yet there are those that will stand by all things Trek.

"How old is this?"
Sadly, there are people that will refuse to like anything older than some arbitrarily set date in their minds. Some grow out of this, others don't. Some people only like the hip and trendy flavour of the week. Let's face it, if Naruto was made 20 years ago, it wouldn't have nearly as many fans right now, even if the animation was identicle. It would be old hat.
Then there are those that will only like old anime, and claim quality has gone down considerably since some magical "golden age" that really only ever existed in their own heads.

All this is why lists don't interest me. You could make a new thread on this forum called "list 5 anime titles completely at random!" and it would serve just as much a purpose as any "what's your top 5/what's the 5 worst" threads out there. This is also why I take every review I read with a heavy grain of salt, and won't accept any opinion unless the reviewer gives me a solid viewpoint so that I can relate to their angle. If I know what a reviewer's priorities are, then even if they consistantly write reviews that I disagree with, I can get an idea from them on whether or not I will like something they reviewed.
Dude (nexocentric) Radd is like the best poster I ever read on this site...I once told him that on one of his rare appearances...I actually joined this site on the strength of reading one his posts like 5 years ago ...He was on-point with this analysis and it stands the test of time...BTW where the heck is this guy? I want to debate him again...
Old 2008-09-22, 13:54   Link #774
filthydani

Bleach naruto deathnote monster dbz
Old 2008-09-23, 14:35   Link #775
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
"Was this created by someone who has done other stuff I've ranked highly?"
For some people, there are those who can do no wrong. Perhaps there is a creator that made something they really, really liked. Many will tend to praise everything they do, regardless of how well the actual product is. The same goes for franchises. Look at Star Trek, all the shows are very different and I would argue show a huge gap in quality levels, yet there are those that will stand by all things Trek.
This can also be flipped around to ask if the creator has ever done something someone really disliked. That's arguably just as big an influence on opinion and people will tend to bash everything that company puts out regardless of any merit it might have. This is especially true in gaming communities I've found. Heck, I'm guilty of it myself. I won't even touch a Sega game anymore.
Old 2008-09-24, 03:05   Link #776
mr.questionguy
Banned

top five?Well i havent watched too many famous series,but i have to give it a go:

1.Naruto Shippuuden
2.Naruto Shippuuden
3.Naruto Shippuuden
4.Naruto Shippuuden
5.Naruto Shippuuden

i think these are the most,ofcourse im not saying that the anime sucks or anything(well to be honest,when comparing it to Naruto original series,it DOES,a lot) but i see naruto backgrounds on almost EVERY anime sight on the web,naruto WAS good,but shippuuden is dragging it way down.
Old 2008-09-24, 04:47   Link #777
Whiteshirt

Quote:
Haruhi and Lucky Star are both bashed just as much as Geass. Lucky Star is bashed, accused of pandering to NEETs, and 'vilified' more than Geass, from my experience. Don't assume the massive amount of hate isn't there because it is. But you won't find that hate here for obvious reasons (hint: look at the subforum, 'General Anime'). It's like going into to a soccer game then complaining to everyone around you that soccer is such a crap game to watch.

I've followed your posts for a while and while they're very, very valid and generally of high quality, I sometimes think you fail to understand why people have a problem with you. And it's not because of your 'unique' opinion - there are a lot of people who present an opinion similar to you and do not get flamed or bashed.
Old 2008-11-12, 01:21   Link #778
kanedazero

Neon Genesis Evangelion- Don't get me wrong, I like this series, but I don't think it is the greatest anime ever. I do like the fact that the series got a lot of people discussing the "sybolism" of everything and that it did help introduce a new generation of people to anime.

Naruto I just don't get why so many people like this show...maybe it's just me.

Kai Doh Maru Just as varica posted on page one, I too think this "was pants."

Death Note It has a cool concept, but Light's inner monologues explaining what people must be thinking and about what is going on and why quickly became annoying.

Bleach See my reason for Naruto.
Old 2008-11-12, 16:07   Link #779
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedazero View Post

Death Note It has a cool concept, but Light's inner monologues explaining what people must be thinking and about what is going on and why quickly became annoying.

That was like the heart of the show…How do you have a scene where a guy bites down on potato chips while using a mini-plasma come off that awesome without the inner-monologue? How do you have the conflict of how Light sets himself in prison make sense without the inner-thoughts? Let’s not even talk about the plan for him to get the DN back after he got his memories wiped…90% of this show’s narrative was via Light’s inner thoughts where for the first time in a while I watched the actions of a show thru the protagonists eyes, instead of just being fed character narrative (With lots of that intensity in Real Time)…You take that outta the show and it’s not even DN anymore…But I guess one man’s annoyance is another man’s epicness…
Old 2008-11-12, 16:17   Link #780
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, X, Akira
Closed Thread