AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

Old 2004-06-09, 21:28   Link #1
arias

Oh! My Goddess Movie discussion

For those who watched it, when exactly did Belldandy remember Keiichi? If you watch carefully, there's no scene where she regains her memory at all! Or maybe I haven't been watching carefully enough, but still.. ... :|

Does anyone know when she recalls?
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 23:49   Link #2
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

she...just...does
sorry been awhile since i've seen it
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 08:53   Link #3
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I thought that she just relearned her memories and not necessarily remembered them, like when she was looking at the album. Another theory would be that once Celestin got the access key, the virus left Belldandy and once she woke up, she remembered everything again.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 21:23   Link #4
arias

Actually no, she didn't remember once she woke up. First thing she said when she awoke was "I'll try hard to remember you.." something like that (mine is chinese subtitles) and later still refers him to Morisato (not Keiichi).. And suddenly bam! She remembers.

My concern about this is not really the content of the story, but about how poor the linking is, and it seems that the movie is more about fanservice. I personally found OMG! movie extremely exciting initially, given its high quality animation.. but then it's really quite shallow and achieves little. By far my greatest dislike is how the OMG! series is so episodic there seems to be little progression in the characters and general story arc. It's really becoming more mundane, and we see more of the author's progression.

Belldandy appears to be more and more divine as the manga progresses; whereas initially in the start of the series she was more human-like and susceptible to human-weaknesses.. The only reason I continue to read OMG! is, of course, the relationship between Belldandy and Keiichi. But sometimes there is so little of that in a volume; or even if there is much, their relationship doesn't seem to progress very much (ie. it's so chaste they don't even formally HOLD HANDS by volume 28). It's quite ridiculous, imo.

That is why nowadays, I keep fantasising of terrible things happening between the both of them to rip up another conflict. Argghh. I really wish for significant progression in the story rather than such episodic "fun" and the continual addition of new characters. Personally, if the manga ended on a scene that depicted the "wonderful world and friends we've made through this journey" (ie. like F-compo and such).. I would be terribly disappointed. o_o;;

Oh well. the incoherent rants of a disappointed fan.
Old 2004-06-25, 15:08   Link #5
AznPmsAvenger

Though i cant be sure, it could be when keiichi takes back control of his body from celestin. Right after then (When he helps belldandy fight off the big energy thingy (i think its the nidheg?)) she calls him keiichi again, rather than morisato, which she did when she didnt remember.
AznPmsAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 02:35   Link #6
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznPmsAvenger
Though i cant be sure, it could be when keiichi takes back control of his body from celestin. Right after then (When he helps belldandy fight off the big energy thingy (i think its the nidheg?)) she calls him keiichi again, rather than morisato, which she did when she didnt remember.
Yes, but why then? What made her remember?
Old 2004-06-26, 03:23   Link #7
ichido reichan

a better question would be....

4 years togheter...

relationship blessed by heavens...

they both know their feelings for each other...

and they are still so dumb to keep being "just friends" why?

c'mon, at this point if I would be keiichi I would have kids with beldandy already..

this manga world is too unreal!!!
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 03:38   Link #8
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichido reichan

4 years togheter...

c'mon, at this point if I would be keiichi I would have kids with beldandy already..

She's a goddess, it's uncertain whether she can have kids with a mortal. At least, that's what I'd argue if I supported OMG! on its plot. The series does not try to effectively deal with the system of Godesses because its simply not important to the plot (if any such really exists). It's more about episodic fun and living with an impossibly perfect woman.

Bah.

Keiichi must be SOOOO sexually deprived.
Old 2004-06-26, 17:32   Link #9
AznPmsAvenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Yes, but why then? What made her remember?
uh, yea, i have no idea. Mabye when keiichi takes control of his body back from celestin it somehow forecebily undid the memory supression spell celestin put on belldandy (this is complete and total BS speculation, i really have no clue).

Although i have another question:

You see in the flashbacks that celestin was taken away and imprisoned when belldandy was just a little kid. How then is he present at her ceremony where she becomes a first-class goddess? Is he there in spirit or something? Shouldent he be locked away in jail at that time? Also, god says something like "youve raised a gentle and beautiful goddess" seemingly directed at celestin. mabye this is just a bad translation but it seems like hes talking to celestin. So, it dosent make sense to me....
Old 2004-06-26, 17:37   Link #10
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznPmsAvenger
uh, yea, i have no idea. Mabye when keiichi takes control of his body back from celestin it somehow forecebily undid the memory supression spell celestin put on belldandy (this is complete and total BS speculation, i really have no clue).

Although i have another question:

You see in the flashbacks that celestin was taken away and imprisoned when belldandy was just a little kid. How then is he present at her ceremony where she becomes a first-class goddess? Is he there in spirit or something? Shouldent he be locked away in jail at that time? Also, god says something like "youve raised a gentle and beautiful goddess" seemingly directed at celestin. mabye this is just a bad translation but it seems like hes talking to celestin. So, it dosent make sense to me....
Actually, she became a first-class goddess FIRST before Celestin was "thrown into jail". You can't see but during ceremony she isnt' supposed to be so.. grown-up looking. I agree that the timeline is not being clearly executed here, but it's all right fitting.

And also, that's what I'm saying. They don't have a good explanation on how Belldandy gets her memory back. It's just BAM! It's back. That's what I've been complaining all along! Not enough work is being put into the story.. argh! I want some REAL development in OMG!
Old 2004-06-30, 19:16   Link #11
AznPmsAvenger

yea, i guess its just a plot hole that we will never see resolved. Anyways, we can look forward to the new tv series which will supposedly air later this year thats supposed to follow the manga.
Old 2006-01-02, 07:07   Link #12
YoureMyHiro
The One Hit Wonder

Send a message via AIM to YoureMyHiro
I know this is slightly off topic but rather than make a useless thread for this I thought I'd ask here: what order does the series go in? (I.E. Anime series, OVAS, Movie?) Also, do the mini goddess shorts have anything pertinent to do with the series? Or are they a "Fumoffu" of sorts?
YoureMyHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 10:48   Link #13
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoureMyHiro
I know this is slightly off topic but rather than make a useless thread for this I thought I'd ask here: what order does the series go in? (I.E. Anime series, OVAS, Movie?) Also, do the mini goddess shorts have anything pertinent to do with the series? Or are they a "Fumoffu" of sorts?
First watch The 4 episode OVA, then the movie that go together. After that you can either watch the 26 episode TV series which has nothing to do the OVA or movie. The TV series is basically a retellting of the story which is more faithful to the manga. You can also watch the Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses which is like a "Fumoffu", it's super cute and highly enjoyable and funny.

I'd recommended this order: OAV, Movie, Mini, and TV. You can watch them in either Japanese or English. Both language tracks sound great.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 11:11   Link #14
aikming

The OVA was produced first followed by the movie and then the mini-goddess series, AMG TVCM season 1 was produced in 2005 and season will be air this year.

OVA was adapted from selected portions of the manga, the movie is a continuation (not exactly related) of the manga/OVA. the mini-goddess is like FMP fumoffu, totally an aside.

The TVCM follows the manga quite closely.
Old 2006-02-12, 23:22   Link #15
Anime+
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I thought that she just relearned her memories and not necessarily remembered them, like when she was looking at the album. Another theory would be that once Celestin got the access key, the virus left Belldandy and once she woke up, she remembered everything again.
I agree, as soon as the virus was released or when Celestin gave up is when she gained her memory back. She had to at that point...or at least before they crossed though the arch.
Anime+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 17:09   Link #16
beatrixkido0

ummm what movie? i dident know of any movie!
beatrixkido0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 05:30   Link #17
Free Voice

Classic languages use in the movie

Anybody noticed the extent of the use of classic languages in the Movie: the song is in latin "Happiness is shared with friends"... and at various moments there is the use of ancient greek fonts in heaven's Yggdrasil and at the moment Celestine frees the virus on the ground. One can read at the first intrusion of the virus "warning" spelt out where "w" is spelt with an "omega" sign, and then when Celestine frees the virus the text written on the ground is "aa megamisama" and "Belldandy", both of which do not need translation.

In the TV series, the song when Belldandy puts off the fire during the beauty contest (I do not recall anymore the episode, but I think it was around the 9th) is a "Sanctus", a Catholic song. I have been unable to find the lyrics of "Libera me", another song in latin, which is used in special moments of season one (episode 23-24). Does anybody know where I could find them?
Free Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 17:40   Link #18
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just watched it oh... four days ago. I liked it, but I wish I knew some more backstory. I don't have any of the comic, only the TV show that I rented from Netflix. I like the voice actors from both. Urd in the movie is awesome, voiced by Atsuko Tanaka, who plays Major Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I think it her. I can't find a cast list for OMG the movie...

Bell gets her true memories back right after Celestin grabs the virus. I think she just calls Keiichi "Mr. Morisato" because they needed the extra syllables, not because she doesn't remember him. But that's just me babbling. I'm a n00b. What do I know, eh? But seriously, the flashbacks, IMHO, just disrupted the flow of the movie just a bit. I don't like flashbacks, personally.

I still think the music is fantastic. My fav is the ending credits. Where can i find those lyrics? I was going to write them down (I'm in Jap II), but i kept screwing up.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 07:51   Link #19
ainin
Hello...

How can you say that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichido reichan

4 years togheter...

How can you say that????
Keiichi is still so young and he don't even have a good job.
How can he afford children?
By the way,
if they have children, the story will not be so interesting.....
Just imagine Belldandy having a child......
It's sooooo weird!!!
ainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 11:51   Link #20
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Do'nt forget that this is anime, and it's about a goddess. In RL, there is no such thing. So don't go on about how it's not realistic enough....