AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 00:37   Link #761
novalysis

This show is brilliant. It's just purely magnificent.

For a moment, I thought that the Urobutcher would have the rape victim drop that lit lighter into the puddle, igniting her alive....
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:07   Link #762
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
What the fuck is this bullshit?
are you ...
a moe lover or something like that ?

I'm glad an anime like psycho pass is trying to go against the current trend
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:14   Link #763
leokiko

I think Marcus is angry because the guy who said that is an hypocrite.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-10-13 at 02:28.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:19   Link #764
traittrait

Hey, why do you forget abouth this little part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
The gun specifically says "Target's Threat Judgement has been updated. Enforcement mode is Lethal Eliminator. Aim carefully and eliminate the target."
The gun activates it's Lethal Mode based on target's threat. If target at the moment is threating (known or unknown by him/herself) police officer's life, dominator just switches from Non-Lethal to Lethal Mode.

And when it choses to eliminate the victim, she is in panic, she is in fear of Enforcer, she has a lighter in her hand, and she lies in a puddle of gasoline. Shinya just walks towards her and stops in the same puddle of gasoline. Dominator sums it up in life-threating situation and switches in Lethal Mode.
traittrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:27   Link #765
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4
are you ...
a moe lover or something like that ?

I'm glad an anime like psycho pass is trying to go against the current trend
What's certain is that I'm not a moe hater.
That said, "killing the moe" is better done than said. Saying bullshit like that would only earn him some "cool story bro" points for me. And considering that he has done only two animated media projects in his career, it's not a good idea to go talk like you're some guy who will save anime from the scourge that is moe. That is, IMHO, not good for his credentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko
I think Marcus is angry that the guy who said that is an hypocrite.
His other project is "serious enough" I think (not that I have any idea about his other work), so there's not enough basis that he is a hypocrite. The only way we can judge him if he is a hypocrite is when moe seeps out of Psycho-Pass. That would be the best thing ever.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:29   Link #766
leokiko

Quote:
His other project is "serious enough" I think (not that I have any idea about his other work), so there's not enough basis that he is a hypocrite. The only way we can judge him if he is a hypocrite is when moe seeps out of Psycho-Pass. That would be the best thing ever.
The complains and annoyances I've been reading so far are related to the use of Amano's designs even though he "banished" moe.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:33   Link #767
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

He should fire Amano and replace it with Nobuyuki Fukumoto, then.

Kuyashii.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2012-10-13, 02:46   Link #768
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
it's not a good idea to go talk like you're some guy who will save anime from the scourge that is moe. That is, IMHO, not good for his credentials.
Where the hell did he say that?He just said he wasn't interested in moe,not that moe is killing anime or anything.

There's also probably some ignorance in the usage of the word moe going on as well,he probably just associates it to animes like k-on and saki.

And he is right that psycho-pass goes against the current trend of the industry.
Old 2012-10-13, 02:50   Link #769
desrtsku
Nympholept

If they want to kill moe, let them be. As long as we get a good cop show, I'm fine with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
In any case, I did get the impression that Akane was reprimanded for what she did.
What was she reprimanded for exactly? For shooting at Kogami or for not shooting at the victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Look, for this Psycho-Pass Gun to so quickly go from basically stating "Eliminate this target, as the target is beyond realistic hope of rehabilitation" to stating "Bring the target under control with paralysis, there is hope of rehabilitation" is very, very questionable.
It's not questionable at all, it's actually pretty understandable. When some people lose it, they might become really violent and calm their self down a few moment later. It looked like the passage from paralyser mode to the lethal mode happens when the target crosses a certain line. It's too early to tell what's that "line" is, but from the look of it it's probably when the target shows really strong killing intent. Like someone above said, the raped woman held a lighter when the gun switched into lethal mode, the executed criminal pulled the trigger like there's no tomorrow and the guy in the first scene held a freaking saw and was about to paint the floor with Kogami's bowels ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ It's explained in this episode the drones can't enter certain areas of the city (for some political reason, IIRC), so that would explain why they use humans.
It's not enough actually, they said they were "short on people". Enough to send a rookie in a hell-like place, that is. If that's so problematic, then they should have just sent the drones in the allowed sections and the enforcers in the others. But if it appears they're not using them at all, then either something is off with their logic or that's not all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And before you or anybody else raises the "Why not just use robots, then?" argument, there's actually some things that humans are just flatout better at than AIs (consider video games, where top human competition is almost always harder than AIs). Yes, this is clearly in the future, but maybe AI hasn't advanced as far in this world as it has in, say, Star Trek: The Next Generation.
I already said it in a post above, but I seriously believe one those is "not shooting at the guy even when the gun says it", 'cause it might make the situation worse (there's two evidences of that in this very episode).
Old 2012-10-13, 02:53   Link #770
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

He did not say that directly, I admit, but is Psycho-Pass is gonna go against the flow, why did he have to say that he would omit moe from Psycho-Pass? He can just show it instead, and from what I'm seeing in some screenshots of the first episode, his statement is unneeded and is probably just propaganda for the anime series.

I always believe that the best advertisement of an anime series is the anime series itself.

Old 2012-10-13, 03:09   Link #771
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

What does he mean, no moe? That heroine is moe: she just oozes a need for protection. Personally, I often like moe, and I like the heroine's character design, but it and her character didn't seem to me to suit this episode. Oh, well, I'll keep watching. Interesting premise and some great voice work from the older hunter, played (I think) by Arimoto Kinryuu, who was Patrick Zala in Gundam Seed.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 03:26   Link #772
MartianMage

Eh moe is a very vague word to begin with. Going by it's true definition what you find moe may not be moe to me and to be honest Akane did not strike me as moe so there.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 03:26   Link #773
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
He did not say that directly, I admit, but is Psycho-Pass is gonna go against the flow, why did he have to say that he would omit moe from Psycho-Pass?
Because he's being interviewed by Urobuchi and Urobuchi recollects that the staff didn't have the right to use the word "moe" , so it's originally Urobuchi that brings it up.
Old 2012-10-13, 03:51   Link #774
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
didn't have the right to use the word "moe"
I'm not sure what this meant. Did the staff recognize how objective what moe means or was it something else?

Regardless, one does not remove moe by making a grimmer, darker plot.
In fact, that "urge to protect" emerges even more in stories where death is certain, or in some cases, is inevitable (see Urobuchi's PMMM). And that urge comes from the viewers, not from the media, although the media helps some.

If Katsuyuki aims to omit moe, he should probably portray the women in the series to be so unlikeable that people would wish them to be killed. (I don't know if it works, though; Gundam 00's Nena Trinity has been portrayed as a psychopath that destroyed many lives and there are still some who regards her as their waifu.)

Old 2012-10-13, 03:51   Link #775
klare

i guess this is expected when u throw a fresh grad top student into such situation, this job obviously require someone that is calm and head strong

the smart gun is fine as long as the person is the one making the decisions, it is understandble those hunting dogs will just shoot anyone that the gun allow as they just wanted to finish their jobs

a good eps 1 for me, i think im watching more series than i planned for this season...
Old 2012-10-13, 04:39   Link #776
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
What's certain is that I'm not a moe hater.
That said, "killing the moe" is better done than said. Saying bullshit like that would only earn him some "cool story bro" points for me. And considering that he has done only two animated media projects in his career, it's not a good idea to go talk like you're some guy who will save anime from the scourge that is moe. That is, IMHO, not good for his credentials.
Funny things you say here. He's working on scenarios since 1999 with his 1st work being Phantom of Inferno so he's not as amateur as you think. Also in fact he has 4 animated works aside of PP: Requiem of Phantom, Blassreiter, Madoka Magica & Fate/Zero.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 04:42   Link #777
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Funny things you say here. He's working on scenarios since 1999 with his 1st work being Phantom of Inferno so he's not as amateur as you think.
If that is true, then this article from ANN is severely incomplete. Wikipedia doesn't have an article about him as well.

Old 2012-10-13, 04:44   Link #778
MartianMage

You guys are referring to different persons...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 04:46   Link #779
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
If Katsuyuki aims to omit moe
Do keep in mind this MAL headline rivals sankaku complex in terms of sensationalism, he never actually says he omitted moe from the anime.Just that staff members weren't allowed to talk about it during meetings.

To me that just means he didn't want staff members taking moe into account when making creative decisions but that doesn't mean he went out of his way to supress any shred of it.
Old 2012-10-13, 04:50   Link #780
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Dafuq. Is there one source of news aside from ANN that is actually reliable and unbiased? (And don't tell me that ANN has its own share of sensationalism as well. )

Quote:
To me that just means he didn't want staff members taking moe into account when making creative decisions but that doesn't mean he went out of his way to supress any shred of it.
I think "avoiding moe from becoming a topic in creative meetings" is "trying to avoid moe from Psycho-Pass" in my opinion.

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller