AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-02-19, 13:23   Link #21
1337_493n7

They have closed the reg. thread now, so i'm sure we'll hear somethign soon-ish
1337_493n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 19:47   Link #22
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Are the mods EVER going to choose a mascot?

This is getting ridiculous. 4+ months after the contest ends and no result. To be honest, I don't even care who (if anyone) wins. Either tell us who won, or say that everyone's entries sucked and we don't want them as mascots so we can just forget about this contest.

As of now, the people who entered might still have hope that this contest will end. I on the other hand, know that the mods have given up or just plain don't care. No one can be busy for 4 months straight and not spend even 1 minute a day to judge the entries. I don't buy the "we're busy" blah blah blah stuff.

There I said what I wanted to say. You can disqualify me or whatever I don't care anymore.

This contest is a joke now.
Old 2006-05-09, 04:12   Link #23
xris
Just call me Ojisan

We did come to a final agreement for the winner Saturday night and we've been waiting for GHDpro (who is currently in Japan studying, so doesn't have his usual internet access) to confirm the winner. He has just done that in past few hours (no doubt unaware of your post) so we were finally in a position to announce the winner. We were just waiting for NightWish to be on-line next so he could make the announcement (but since it's currently Monday morning he's most likely at work).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 07:34   Link #24
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
We did come to a final agreement for the winner Saturday night and we've been waiting for GHDpro (who is currently in Japan studying, so doesn't have his usual internet access) to confirm the winner. He has just done that in past few hours (no doubt unaware of your post) so we were finally in a position to announce the winner. We were just waiting for NightWish to be on-line next so he could make the announcement (but since it's currently Monday morning he's most likely at work).
Well at least I can say I almost had enough patience until the end.

How come if the winner was decided on Saturday you didn't announce you were waiting to get approval from GHDpro? Then I wouldn't have had to make that post (was in a bad mood when I wrote it due to unrelated things, but stick by it anyway). I know you said you were waiting for Nightwish, but I don't understand why another mod couldn't do it? I realize Nightwish started the contest but...

Anyways, congrats to the winner...whoever it is.
Old 2006-05-09, 11:21   Link #25
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The point is...

It's effectively NightWish's contest, he's the one who has been driving the contest and he's the one who will personally pay for the prize entirely out of his own pocket, so it's only fair that he should be the one who announces the winner.

AnimeSuki is GHDpro's creation and so it's only fair that he should be made aware of the mascot winner before an announcement is made. GHDpro has been studying in Japan for the last few weeks and as a side effect he isn't available as frequently as he would like. He had only just seen the contest result this morning (i.e. only about 10 hours ago) and has given the go ahead. While he did this after you made your post, I suspect he was not aware of it.

Without the green light from these two key players, it would be wrong for anyone else to make the announcement.

I just checked the last time NightWish was logged into the forums and I can see it was late Saturday night, i.e. just a few minutes after he made the internal announcement that we had come to a final decision on the winner and therefore we were just waiting for the word from GHDpro. If I remember correctly he said he might not be around, having to travel away for work. Please remember we are not logged in 24/7 and have to comply with mundane activities such as going to work and earning a living. I'm sure as soon as he logs in again and sees the confirmation from GHDpro he would have announced the winner.

Yes, the contest did take a long, long time to finalise. There are many reasons or excuses, the forum crash certainly didn't help and having to get as many of the entries to be resubmitted was a slow job. After that, it was no easy feat to determine the winner since there were several extremely good entries and we have been discussing the merits and then had the difficult task of trying to decide which entry we would most like to see as our mascot.

Finally, we run and maintain AnimeSuki and the forum as a hobby, we do not live sleep, breath the forums. It's done for fun because we enjoy doing it. If we do not live up to your expectations then I'm sorry but that's the way it is. While I do know who the winning candidate was, I'm afraid that the results will have to wait for a little while as the timing of your post was most unfortunate and may delay the announcement again.
Old 2006-05-09, 11:29   Link #26
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
The point is...

It's effectively NightWish's contest, he's the one who has been driving the contest and he's the one who will personally pay for the prize entirely out of his own pocket, so it's only fair that he should be the one who announces the winner.

AnimeSuki is GHDpro's creation and so it's only fair that he should be made aware of the mascot winner before an announcement is made. GHDpro has been studying in Japan for the last few weeks and as a side effect he isn't available as frequently as he would like. He had only just seen the contest result this morning (i.e. only about 10 hours ago) and has given the go ahead. While he did this after you made your post, I suspect he was not aware of it.

Without the green light from these two key players, it would be wrong for anyone else to make the announcement.

I just checked the last time NightWish was logged into the forums and I can see it was late Saturday night, i.e. just a few minutes after he made the internal announcement that we had come to a final decision on the winner and therefore we were just waiting for the word from GHDpro. If I remember correctly he said he might not be around, having to travel away for work. Please remember we are not logged in 24/7 and have to comply with mundane activities such as going to work and earning a living. I'm sure as soon as he logs in again and sees the confirmation from GHDpro he would have announced the winner.

Yes, the contest did take a long, long time to finalise. There are many reasons or excuses, the forum crash certainly didn't help and having to get as many of the entries to be resubmitted was a slow job. After that, it was no easy feat to determine the winner since there were several extremely good entries and we have been discussing the merits and then had the difficult task of trying to decide which entry we would most like to see as our mascot.

Finally, we run and maintain AnimeSuki and the forum as a hobby, we do not live sleep, breath the forums. It's done for fun because we enjoy doing it. If we do not live up to your expectations then I'm sorry but that's the way it is. While I do know who the winning candidate was, I'm afraid that the results will have to wait for a little while as the timing of your post was most unfortunate and may delay the announcement again.
Is that true? Was that not stated or that hidden information. I mean that Nightwish would be paying from his own allowance. nightwish <----- Your so nice ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 11:49   Link #27
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
Is that true? Was that not stated or that hidden information. I mean that Nightwish would be paying from his own allowance. nightwish <----- Your so nice ^_^.
It is true as far as I was aware. I hope I didn't step out of bounds by mentioning this (if so, my deepest apologies to NightWish).

Don't be surprised if this thread is suddenly edited and some of the posts disappear as it will just be me trying to extract my foot from my mouth

I know from private conversation with NightWish that he has been extremely concerned about the delays and problems the mascot competition has run against.
Old 2006-05-09, 11:56   Link #28
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
The point is...

Well it's your contest and you can do it however you wish, I understand that. I also understand that not everyone visits the forums all day (me included). But when the information giving on the front page says "in the next couple of weeks" as in 2 weeks, and 2 months later there's still no news, what do you expect from the contestants?

Yes you spend lots of time judging, but we also spent lots of time working on them. I wouldn't think it would be awfully much to ask that after the 2 weeks expired, to have a small update saying:

"We're sorry the contest results could take a few more weeks" or something to that extent. I realize you don't have to (and didn't) but it would atleast show us that you still cared about the contest. After no news/updates in over 2 months, people like me just give up hope of it ever finishing. And I think that was the reason I was upset.
Old 2006-05-09, 12:29   Link #29
xris
Just call me Ojisan

In hindsight a number of things could (and should) have been done differently. But then it's easy, in hindsight, to see the correct course of action.

I've now updated the AnimeSuki front page, while that's many, many weeks late at least it's now done. We will be making a formal announcement by the end of this week (Friday).
Old 2006-05-09, 17:04   Link #30
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
This is getting ridiculous.
I could not agree more!

I'm very sorry, to everyone who entered the contest, for the shocking length of time it has taken us to get to where we are now. In truth, as I said to the staff on Saturday, it has taken almost half a year -- that is unacceptably long and totally unfair to you guys, who contributed so much time and effort.

From forum problems to our personal lives there are many reasons behind why the process became so protracted, but I'm not going to waste time explaining them or using them as an excuse as that is pointless -- we could have been more organized... we should have been more organized.

It's insulting that it took this long and for that I can only apologise.

Now, to get to the point...

::clears throat:: -- I'm not very good at public speaking so bear with me...

We, the Staff at AnimeSuki, would like you all to warmly welcome the newest member of our team... She is a kind, gentle and beautiful elf girl... who goes by the name...
"Kairin"
Spoiler:
Please support her!! ...as from today she will be the one and only mascot for AnimeSuki!

This cute, kind-and-gentle elf-girl is the creation of... none other than... Kiva128(!) ~ ~ I'm sure the irony of Kiva128 finally snapping (and posting how I'm sure a lot of you were feeling, being upset and all) only hours after we finally made the choice isn't lost on many of you... (Really I'm very sorry we put you through the wait....)

So many congratulations (and thanks) to him for that! To demonstrate our appreciation for the effort he put in (and for allowing us to stretch his patience to breaking point) he will receive our first prize of $150.

Ok, so now that is done... there are two others I need to mention. It wouldn't have taken us so long if the entries had not been so close and so very hard to choose from. Eight entries made this final choice so vary hard, they were submitted by (in the order they were submitted): anime-otaku, Sunbane, Dreamy Kid, runpsicat, pkumo, Koekepan, Loz and Paladinknight. Many thanks to you for some very interesting entries. While we loved all eight, two did a particularly good job of making it hard to not to announce Kairin sooner. These were first Sayuri the kitsune, Cosine, Sine & Ne the Daruma and an unnamed fox and second Yuyu (err, the human) and Kuro the cat. They were submitted by Paladinknight and Loz. In recognition of the hard time they gave us, they are awarded the second and third prizes respectively (both getting $75).

Finally I just need to say a last thank you to everyone who contributed. You've been more than patient with us. The entries were absolutely fantastic, heartfelt contributions to the site for which we are, and will always be, very grateful. Thank you.

Anyway, enough of me... please welcome Kairin and congratulate Kiva128!

P.S. We'll be looking for banners, site layouts, t-shirt, fan-art and other Kairin related ideas and creations from members soon (and I really hope we can get our act together such that when I say soon I actually mean soon). So please don't hesitate to post any you have here or in the fan creation forum

P.P.S Though I will get around to PMing you myself, please can the three winners PM me about how they want to receive their respective awards -- I often need a swift kick up the backside to remind me to do things ^_^;;
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 20:33   Link #31
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Wow...I really don't know what to say to be honest. I've never won something like this before. Reviewing my previous posts after this makes me feel a bit like a jerk. But we all have our good days and our bad. So I do apologize for that.

All I can say is that I hope that people will be happy with the mascot, I certainly tried my best. However, I'm actually going to start working on a thank you picture of Kairin tomorrow to thank the mods, and GHDpro for picking my design. Thank you!

I would like to also congratulate the other winners, Paladinknight and Loz. You guys really did have some awesome entries.

Man I'm bad at these kind of things...

And thank you Kairin, I knew you could do it!
Old 2006-05-10, 01:09   Link #32
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

We really had a hard time choosing from those top three who NightWish mentioned. There was also a top nine that was difficult to pare down as well. I'm glad that we can finally welcome Kairin to the forum. I am eager to see Kiva128's thank you pic of Kairin.

If anyone wants to submit their versions of Kairin, we'd be glad to see them. The more Kairin the merrier. Hopefully soon we'll be able to add Kairin to our front page.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 01:46   Link #33
Tommy
Mr. Prince

My god I can't believe this contest is finally over... I thought it would drag on till the end of time itself.

But I would just like to say congrats to Kiva128 for his outstanding hard work creating Kairin for all of us to feast our eyes on from now on. She seriously looks like a character design from a high production show, which brings me to my next question... You wouldn't make your living off of drawing anime characters would you?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 02:46   Link #34
Kensuke

Congratulations to Kiva128 for winning the mascot design contest, and to Paladinknight and Loz too. Wow, that is really good, like Tommy said, it looks like it is from actual series.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 16:08   Link #35
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I was a bit uncertain.. but finaly I like it, it looks like a possible Nerine's oka-san if she'd ever had any. ^-^

"JOJO gives twenty kisses on Kairin's cheeks and buns and welcom her to the forum" ^^

BTW I'd like to see a sexy version of Kairin just to make sure she realy represents us well at suki suki.
Old 2006-05-10, 16:14   Link #36
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Thumbs up Marianne

Congratulations Kiva! Kairin looks cool, and wise. 8)

That sait, I wouldn't mind a sexier version either. lmao
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 16:20   Link #37
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Sexier eh...

Perhaps a swimsuit picture would help quench your thirst for ecchi material.
So much to do, so little time to do it in.
Old 2006-05-10, 16:27   Link #38
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Well done! It looks great.

Last edited by Shay; 2006-05-10 at 16:41. Reason: Because it is really good.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 16:38   Link #39
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Thumbs up To the Winner!

A big and warm welcome to Kairin!
She's our new baby *touched* and she will brighten up your days here at AnimeSuki very soon
Congratulations Kiva128! You did a wonderful job! I can't wait to see your next work!

Congratz to Paladinknight, Loz, and the six runners up as well, your submissions were brilliant too!

And thank you to all the participants!
Old 2006-05-10, 16:44   Link #40
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
Sexier eh...

Perhaps a swimsuit picture would help quench your thirst for ecchi material.
So much to do, so little time to do it in.
Yeah swimsiuts can be sexy. ^^ Okay for that.

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2006-05-10 at 18:49.
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote