AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-01-12, 14:42   Link #621
apr
Pedestrian

Can someone explain to me why Biblia Koshodou no Jiken-Techou by Mikami En has been at the top of the bestseller list for several weeks now? I've never heard of it before, nor the author.
Old 2012-01-12, 15:30   Link #622
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Can someone explain to me why Biblia Koshodou no Jiken-Techou by Mikami En has been at the top of the bestseller list for several weeks now? I've never heard of it before, nor the author.
The series is not exactly anything new, even though it is not on the radar of most overseas light novel readers. The author is also a veteran writer in Dengeki with close to 30 books published but unfortunately with only a limited readership consisting of a small circle of core fans. Casual light novel readers apparently have less interest in his works compared to the stereotypical moe stuff you can see being pumped out in absurd quantities every month.

The pubisher of Biblia is MediaWorks Bunko, a de-facto branch of Dengeki Bunko that targets young adults and mature light novel readers (and an outlet for the more mature and less moe-centric writers in Dengeki who suffer from the moe boom). So far it seems to be the only MW bunko series apart from the Arikawa works that has successfully grabbed mainstream attention. It is difficult to pinpoint the exact reason for its success, but it is likely a mixture of intelligent writing, excellent marketing and luck.

The story is a bit like Bungaku Shoujo with a more mature atmosphere. The general reading public being into conventional novels can easily recognize their favourite titles and immediately form a connection to it at a personal level.

Somehow book stores have played quite a significant role to its success. Being extensive readers by nature, many small-sized book store owners and employees (who in the past were not proactive in stocking non-Arikawa MW Bunko works due to their mediocre sales), are very satisfied with the story and actively recommend it to their consumers. Initially its popularity was spread by only word-of-mouth but later the publisher realized its potential and started extensive PR work. With even newspaper columns and TV reports paying attention to it, gradually it has received mainstream attention.

Since the later half of 2011, its popularity has been rising continuously. The publication of vol.2 in the last quarter helped to prolong the boom. Being ranked by 本の雑誌 as No.1 among all 2011 bunko gave another strong push to its sales.

Since then there is an additional 50-60k towards its total sales every week. With no major novel release by bestseller authors nor novel awards in recent weeks, the series has climbed all the way to the top of the charts.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2012-01-12 at 15:55.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 17:49   Link #623
apr
Pedestrian

Er, that was very exhaustive. Thanks.

It's basically selling as well as only movie adaptations have done before it, which strikes me as odd. But I guess media still has some pull.
Old 2012-01-12, 22:44   Link #624
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Er, that was very exhaustive. Thanks.

It's basically selling as well as only movie adaptations have done before it, which strikes me as odd. But I guess media still has some pull.
That is true to a certain extent. However if marketing is the only factor it would certainly not be the first and only truly successful MW-bunko originated title*. Kadokawa has more than enough funds and strings on the media machine, but even it cannot bring the total sales for most MW Bunko titles beyond the 10k point, a striking contrast with the 50-60k sales every week of Biblia.

I see it as Tiger & Bunny in the light novel world. TB is a solid anime that caught the industry by surprise when everyone had been expecting the sales be horrible due to the lack of certain commonly found tropes. However the production team was at least quick in picking up the market trend (early popularity achieved merely by word-of-mouth over twitter by anime fans) and started intensive marketing campaigns afterwards. A variety of factors combined to turn it into one of the top-selling anime in 2011.

* (sans Arikawa stuff, whose writer achieved mainstream status long before the existence of the label)

Last edited by Doraneko; 2012-01-13 at 03:46.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 03:00   Link #625
elroid

Has anyone read Black Bullet? written by 神崎紫電, and illustrated by鵜飼沙樹. I'm kinda interested in it as the artwork looks very nice. Would like to have some review about it if someone has read it.

Spoiler for cover:
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 05:40   Link #626
apr
Pedestrian

I'm 285 pages into Denpa-onna v2, and the author just pissed me off entirely. Meme (age 40) is having a flashback to when she was 12, where an old lady is talking to her and mentions MacGyver. The book was written in 2009, so the flashback takes place around 1981, but MacGyver didn't start airing until 1985 (in the US). Immersion destroyed!
Old 2012-01-17, 08:48   Link #627
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

But the book doesn't have to take place at 2009 right? It could be that they actually live at 2013 :P. Or rather, I'm surprised you even remember the year Macgyver started in the middle of reading the book lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 09:01   Link #628
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Highschool DXD

The story follows Issei Hyōdō, a dim-witted, lecherous second-year high school student, killed by his girlfriend on his first date ever. Issei is reincarnated as a devil, and from that day forward he serves as an underling of Rias, a high-level devil who is also the prettiest girl on Issei's campus.

2vols translated so far i reccomend this to everyone who like ecchi
Old 2012-01-17, 13:10   Link #629
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
But the book doesn't have to take place at 2009 right? It could be that they actually live at 2013 :P. Or rather, I'm surprised you even remember the year Macgyver started in the middle of reading the book lol.
I voiced my complaint to a Japanese friend of mine (also my age), and he didn't even know who MacGyver was.
Old 2012-01-17, 17:04   Link #630
Undertaker

Men, I love MacGyver, but there's know way I can remember the year the series started
Old 2012-01-18, 06:36   Link #631
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroid View Post
Has anyone read Black Bullet? written by 神崎紫電, and illustrated by鵜飼沙樹. I'm kinda interested in it as the artwork looks very nice. Would like to have some review about it if someone has read it.

Spoiler for cover:
Browsed through the first volume but didn't read in depth....

From what I can tell it's one of those action monster hunting kind of series. Looks good though....will certainly pick up if I have time...
Old 2012-02-02, 06:27   Link #632
apr
Pedestrian

Old 2012-02-02, 07:51   Link #633
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

lol, full collection of Monogatari series XD. Did you get them at discount or something?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 07:56   Link #634
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
lol, full collection of Monogatari series XD.
So far, anyway. Three more coming this year

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 11:14   Link #635
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
lol, full collection of Monogatari series XD. Did you get them at discount or something?
Nope, got them one or two at a time, as they came out. When Koimonogatari arrived it felt like it had reached full circle (with Senjougahara theme), so I wanted a picture!
Old 2012-02-02, 11:21   Link #636
Miraluka
Banned

Sigh... to think Nisio wants to milk the series more and more.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 11:24   Link #637
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Sigh... to think Nisio wants to milk the series more and more.
Be fair now.....they've all been excellent to date.

Unlike many others that got worse over time....like HnA for example...

I must say though, each one of the Monogatari books hits the wallet hard....to think I'd spent over 120 bucks on just 5 books...
Old 2012-02-02, 11:45   Link #638
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah, I won't disagree on that, I know my complaints over the PLOT are subjective. But when he says "the series is going to end" and then says "the second season of the series is going to end" it means there is something else hidden.

Oh, HnA, I said this needs real situations where an antagonist appear who needs to be a man with different view to the MC buuuuuut no, the author throws every girl possible to fall for him each time.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 03:02   Link #639
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Does anyone here read Asura Cryin'?
Old 2012-02-17, 17:10   Link #640
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
I totally recommend Alice and Masayoshi are Indifferent, I read the first chapter and I'm totally in love with the story, plus it shows promise in my opinion.
Just came across this as well, and after reading chapter 1 must admit that it is kinda charming.

Kudos to Baka-Tsuki forum member Krikit for the work he did....

Tags
light novels