AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-11-10, 10:55   Link #3361
InfiniteDistance

Grew up as a christian, but eventually broke free of the chains of religion. I am now an atheist and very fond of the idea of death after life and the beauty of a world without a god .
Old 2012-11-10, 11:24   Link #3362
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaisian View Post
... can I go slightly off-topic here? Since there are Muslims here, I'll just have to ask one question: Do some of you (Muslims) find the depiction of your brothers-in-faith in some movies somewhat offensive? (I'll cite two examples: The Kingdom and Body of Lies) Just asking.
There’s a lot of offensive depictions of muslims in movies (especially Hollywood). It's actually been going on since a long time ago. Remember those Chuck Norris movies involving muslim countries and Arnold’s True Lies?

I’ve yet to see Body of Lies, but I’ve seen The Kingdom. The problem is, I hardly remember the story in it since it’s just a "meh" movie. From what I can remember, the movie kinda implied that the US’ way of live is the perfect one that the muslims should also adopt them. They also made it as if all muslims (in the setting) are evil or ignorant except for the one muslim who become the ally of the US/Jamie Foxx’ character. Can’t remember the details but that’s what I get from the movie.

So, is it somewhat offensive for muslims? I'd say yes. But smart muslims should now better than to take some movies seriously (unless the movie is specifically made to mock Islam & muslims in general. We can't tolerate that one.) At the end of the day, they're all fiction, even those "inspired" or "based on" true story movies. Movies rarely depicts the reality of things out there. There's always the "over-dramatization" element playing. Even documentary movies can be easily edited in favor of the maker's personal agenda.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2012-11-10 at 11:39.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:31   Link #3363
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

I was raised Roman Catholic (not in a strict manner but it was practised) As I got older and gained my own independence I became atheist but if I were to choose a belief system or religion I would definitely become buddhist, they have the right idea.
Old 2012-12-12, 14:24   Link #3364
mican

Location: Somewhere in a distant patch of green staring into the luminous starry sky.
Grew up as a.Christian. Then I became a transcendentalist, though probably not the kind you have in mind. Modern teachings of what transcendentalism is in schools is heavily misunderstood and distorted.
mican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 14:34   Link #3365
Domonkazu

I used to be a christian like you but then I took an ...............

anyway I'm agnostic now.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:36   Link #3366
Radioactive Beta
Tenshi Clone 10

I grew up as a Christian , then I became curious of things and the quote that mother keeps saying that "Thank god everyday" "If you don't believe in god you're going to hell" "Don't eat before you say your pray" "Don't sleep until you said your prayer" became to annoy me so I slowly and slowly became a atheist because of that and stopped the praying all together because whenever I prayed something would change or for "god" to help me..nothing changed at all so I stopped altogether because I Found it silly. My mother still annoys me about Christianity to this day...it pisses me off always having shoved "god" down my throat but I keep my mouth shut because if I told her how I really felt she would have a baby.
Old 2013-01-15, 13:36   Link #3367
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

I don't know, I'm caught between believing in something that created the earth and believing in the big bang theory. My family are not religious so they're not had an impact on my beliefs, I guess I just think alot.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 14:22   Link #3368
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette Cherry View Post
I don't know, I'm caught between believing in something that created the earth and believing in the big bang theory. My family are not religious so they're not had an impact on my beliefs, I guess I just think alot.
Something did create Earth. That something is called gravity.
Old 2013-01-15, 15:32   Link #3369
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Something did create Earth. That something is called gravity.
Heh... yes, gravity and lots of time. The decorations on it (plants, life, us) are from rich minerals and organic compounds that arose in star life cycle processes.
Old 2013-01-15, 15:39   Link #3370
Mokoko
Young Aspergus Eater

I grew up as an Atheist but when I was 15, someone that I cherished died and I started slowly to believe in God. Now, I'm a protestant and i'm going to the church every sunday !

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mokoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 18:15   Link #3371
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Im a good person. I know whats right and whats wrong. Thats my religion. Being a person with a good self conscience and moral compass. I wont hate someone for beliving in gods... but satan worshipers need help
Old 2013-01-20, 23:11   Link #3372
otakujohn

I adhere to no particular religion, nor did my parents. I have given it a great deal of thought and study, for what it's worth.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 23:43   Link #3373
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I don't remember if I updated myself here. Since it's been too long since I last posted. I previously said I was an Athiest, but now I'm Agnostic. My family is Christian though, but we don't really go to church or do anything religion-related in our household.
Old 2013-01-21, 08:17   Link #3374
Kudryavka

I cant follow religion b/c there are too many that contradivct, yet all claim to be right. if i could know which is right id worship, but theres no way for me.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 00:21   Link #3375
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

I grew up in a Buddhist family and I'm pretty familiar with it. As I grow up, I dig deeper into Buddhist's philosophy and realized that people kinda worship Buddha the wrong way. He never want people to treat him like some kind of deity right now ( Especially in East Asia and SEA ). Soon after that, I become an atheist and always believe there's no such thing called "God".
Old 2013-01-22, 00:31   Link #3376
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
@ Lenaisian > Try watching Kingdom of Heaven. I like how they portrait Muslims there. They are considered as noble warriors unlike the extremist today who uses religion as a way to justify their crimes not only against non Christians but to their brother Muslims as well. They are with respect to other Christians and has a word of honor.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-22 at 03:26.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 02:31   Link #3377
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
@ Lenaisian > Try watching Kingdom of Heaven. I like how they Muslims there. They are considered as noble warriors unlike the extremist today who uses religion as a way to justify their crimes not only against non Christians but to their brother Muslims as well.
Yea, I hate when people blame their human evil desires for violence on religion. Crusades, muslim terrorism, all of it.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 03:01   Link #3378
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
I grew up in a Buddhist family and I'm pretty familiar with it. As I grow up, I dig deeper into Buddhist's philosophy and realized that people kinda worship Buddha the wrong way. He never want people to treat him like some kind of deity right now ( Especially in East Asia and SEA ). Soon after that, I become an atheist and always believe there's no such thing called "God".
Zen Buddhism avoids most of that. What one finds with the variants of Buddhism in many countries is that the priests did something akin to what Christianity did as it swept the world. They merge local indigenous beliefs into the "new way". So if your Buddhism worships gods or treats the Buddha like some god, it is likely a transplant from whatever belief system existed in the area before hand.

That said, its been a while since I posted here. I tend to characterize myself as either mildly atheist or strongly agnostic. I can't rule out a supreme being but then I can't rule out faeries, pixies, dragons, and unicorns either.

I like using religion metaphorically. Both the Shinto and Keltic systems have many animist features (millions of spirits/forces/motivations) that one *respects* but doesn't worship. Sometimes when I'm explaining computer or engineering problems, invoking gremlins, pixies, and magic smoke gets the point across better.

The Norse system is probably the most fun collection of spirits to me and it is closely related to the Celtic system in some ways.

For daily life, a mild form of buddhism combined with modern physics works. All you can really know is "now" so just do the nicest things you can "now" at each and every "now".
Old 2013-01-23, 00:24   Link #3379
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Ok, I guess it's about time to post again here.
About 5 years ago, I'm 100% atheist and even had a debate with a nun IRL.

Though recently, let's just say I tried praying at a nearby church, and some of my prayers were partially answered. Back to being Catholic - the kind who believes that Jesus is up for helping people, and going to church on Sundays is a good thing. Also changed my religion on facebook profile from "Church of Madoka" to "Catholic".
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 01:35   Link #3380
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can't rule out a supreme being but then I can't rule out faeries, pixies, dragons, and unicorns either.
Vexx-san, you believe in faeries, pixies, dragons, and unicorns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For daily life, a mild form of buddhism combined with modern physics works. All you can really know is "now" so just do the nicest things you can "now" at each and every "now".
Ah...Islam also has it too. “When it’s time to work (to earn wealth), work like you’ll live for a thousand years. When it’s time to pray, pray like you’ll die tomorrow”. The point is to be a good person and enjoy your everyday life and to always give it your all when doing your duty (as a muslim, parent, student, employee, doctor, etc) and, furthermore, to be happy both in this life and afterlife.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion