AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 17:50   Link #481
Justin_Brett

That's kind of why I doubt these weapons will be in the story permanently. Improvements aren't going to help much if they can't actually hit the Huckebeins with them.

...actually, if they're trying to sell figs, why not just give new, anti-Eclipse modes onto the Devices they already had?
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 18:07   Link #482
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Cartoons and animated serial shows have been used as marketing mechanisms to sell toys and merchandise for almost as long as they've been around. In a lot of respects, western companies are even worse at this.

Take an example: The He-Man remake that came out around 2000. It was a high quality show, good story, awesome voice acting... but like all its shows, Hasbro put pressure on the writers to keep adding new characters, or new power ups, even if said power up only lasted one episode. Why? So they could sell a new toy. In the end, Hasbro ended up shipping too many He-man and Skeletor toys and not enough of the others, so people weren't buying enough, and thus Hasbro axed the show(it was one with a higher than normal production value, and it showed).

They do the same with Transformers, GI Joe, etc. Show the kiddies the goods on screen, so they'll buy the merchandise.

I will say, that if putting in these AEC weapons brings in the money to keep it going, it's a sacrifice I am willing to make. Compared to a lot of other things, it could be much worse.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 18:09   Link #483
Justin_Brett

I know. All I meant was that you could just add on to what you already have rather than introducing new things that change the point of your story.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:08   Link #484
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Except that...well, Nanoha doesn't market to kids (the way, say, Sailor Moon or PreCure do); it's merchandising market is otaku, who buy different things in different ways. I don't see Fortress Mode Nanoha being a big seller (I note, for example, that most of the character goods from the "4th Season" manga thus far have been for ViVid).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:11   Link #485
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Except that...well, Nanoha doesn't market to kids (the way, say, Sailor Moon or PreCure do); it's merchandising market is otaku, who buy different things in different ways. I don't see Fortress Mode Nanoha being a big seller (I note, for example, that most of the character goods from the "4th Season" manga thus far have been for ViVid).
Still i bet that an Isis figure will be released(and probably an Arnage one too).

They also will appear(according to rumors) on Gears of Destiny(yay! i finally be able to exact revenge on Cypha with the entire Yagami Family xD).

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:11   Link #486
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
its funny we complain their weapons are crap, then they are proven by the enemy they are crap....
Except, you know...

They actually work on the Hucks like they're supposed to.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:27   Link #487
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

You can't just judge them by their effectiveness, you must also consider their efficiency.

The Strike Cannon's can damage the Hucks, yes, but it "doesn't have a generator converter (magic to power?) installed yet and they have unstable battery consumption and impractical size". That's non fan analysis, that's stated in-story.

The weapons can be improved, and my guess is they will (though I'm still hoping they will be extra modules for existing devices instead) but right now, they're merely usable but impractical.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:28   Link #488
Justin_Brett

They should really be more defensively focused, is the problem. Only Fortress Mode and Subaru's new gauntlet can really do anything to shield you, and not nearly as well as a proper barrier. If they can turn magic into bullets, I don't see why they can't still do that.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:30   Link #489
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Yep, the key word is "efficency".

Yes, they can damage the Huckebein but no, they can't defeat them. Effective? maybe, efficient? not so much.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-02-19, 03:59   Link #490
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I completely agree.

Tsuzuki is trying to make Nanoha more appealing to different kinds of audience since StrikerS, but he's not doing it very well.

They tried to add more military stuff, mecha and "serious business" in general but they did it in very cliche and infantile way.

StrikerS related merchandise is selling far worse than A's. To the point they pretty much stopped making StrikerS merchandise at all. Probably same will happen to Force related merchandise. If they will even make any, which I honestly doubt after the poor sales and controversy within the fanbase.
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 04:13   Link #491
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iromaru View Post

StrikerS related merchandise is selling far worse than A's. To the point they pretty much stopped making StrikerS merchandise at all. Probably same will happen to Force related merchandise. If they will even make any, which I honestly doubt after the poor sales and controversy within the fanbase.
I believe they haven't made much StrikerS merch. lately because of the movie getting all the attention and merch/figures. Anyways, being as figures are character related, regardless which part of the Nanoha franchise they come from, they're going to be popular so long as its made decently, and of one of the popular characters. After all, they're not selling the series with the merchandise, they're selling the character which is on said merchandise.

The Alter Fate, Nanoha and Hayate from StrikerS are three of the most popular figures.
Old 2011-02-19, 04:19   Link #492
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

that's why i think that Isis and Arnage will probably get their own figurines as they seem to be the most well liked characters from FORCE by far.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-02-19, 04:58   Link #493
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
The Alter Fate, Nanoha and Hayate from StrikerS are three of the most popular figures.
I remember them being available for sale a long time, while lots of loli Nanoha related figs were sold out long before release.

But yes they obviously sold well. It's Alter after all.
Old 2011-02-19, 05:04   Link #494
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
i wonder if having a massive character roster could possibly compete with nostalgia for the first series, hmm

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 05:08   Link #495
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
I remember them being available for sale a long time, while lots of loli Nanoha related figs were sold out long before release.

But yes they obviously sold well. It's Alter after all.
I'm not sure about Nanoha and Hayate but the StrikerS alter Fate was re-released two different times for a total of three releases.
Old 2011-02-19, 06:10   Link #496
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I'm not sure about Nanoha and Hayate but the StrikerS alter Fate was re-released two different times for a total of three releases.
Well, it's Fate.

They could make a fig of her riding a pink elephant while dressed like Santa Claus and it would still sell like hotcakes.

Btw, the only NEXT design I really want to get a fig is her with Sith blade.

Except Stella, but that will never happen. And fitting a starship there would be kind of hard...
Old 2011-02-19, 06:36   Link #497
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm with Iromaru here. Unlike western merchandise, which focuses on many different figures of many different characters even if their total screen time was maybe 3 seconds (ohai master Fisto, that two second smirk in Attack of the Clones really paid of huh?), the anime merchandise (particularly where the target audience is otaku) tends to focus on making several figures of the more popular characters. Sometimes even completely ignoring the rest.

Which is why Fate has the highest amount of figures of any character so far. Fate is the most popular character in Nanoha, therefore there are a lot of Fate fans, who are all reaching for their wallet the moment a new Fate figure is announced.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-02-19 at 07:17.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 06:50   Link #498
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Well, it's Fate.

They could make a fig of her riding a pink elephant while dressed like Santa Claus and it would still sell like hotcakes.

Btw, the only NEXT design I really want to get a fig is her with Sith blade.

Except Stella, but that will never happen. And fitting a starship there would be kind of hard...
Well, that's really my point. It matters not what time frame (i.e series or manga) they come from, so long as it's a popular character, the figure will sell like hot cakes.
Old 2011-02-19, 07:56   Link #499
aers
*Fansubber

I'm still perplexed as to why people are convinced Force is selling poorly...
aers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 09:54   Link #500
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by aers View Post
I'm still perplexed as to why people are convinced Force is selling poorly...
It's not.

It's just what people say to justify why they don't like Force.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga, nanoha force