AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-10, 00:38   Link #301
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman.exe213 View Post
Simply having multiple beatsticks. Bahr has already been in quite a few decks, simply because he's a strong attacker.
It looks to me like each clan only really has 1 or 2 "power attackers" with attack 1000 or so higher than the norm per grade.

For example, in the kagerou starter deck the grade zeros are 3-5K, the grade 1s are 6-8K, the grade 2s are 8-10K, and grade 3s 9-11K.

Lizard Runner Undeaux is the only grade 0 at 6K, Bahr is the only grade 1 at 8K, Nehalem is the only grade 2 at 10K, and Dragonic Overlord is the only grade 3 at 11K.

Since you can only have 4 of each card at a time in your deck, but the consequences for choosing NOT to ride to a higher grade if you could nearly disastrous, it would definitely be an advantage to have a deck full of cards which have the highest power for their grade.
To do that you'll probably need to mix up clans because 1 particular clan is only going to have 1 or 2 of these types per grade (or they might be extremely rare).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 03:22   Link #302
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ Mixing clans halves the use of triggers, as told in the latest episode. Which means that from 30% of getting a trigger at each draw, you now have 15% of getting a trigger that may work with your monster. Plus, half the triggers end up being useless when you get them so the chances become 7.5%
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 03:37   Link #303
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
^ Mixing clans halves the use of triggers, as told in the latest episode. Which means that from 30% of getting a trigger at each draw, you now have 15% of getting a trigger that may work with your monster. Plus, half the triggers end up being useless when you get them so the chances become 7.5%
Well, I'm not saying it's a good idea or not. Just that that seems to be the sole reason to mix clans aside from combining abilities in novel ways (of which so far I don't see much use for).

So far the clan's abilities seem only to work right among themselves. Like, I would think you could combine the Nubatama's abilities to shrink your opponent's hand with one that has a lot of draw abilities for your own hand, but because of the rules for the Nubatama's abilities that wouldn't work (i.e. you have to shrink your own hand enough).

So far we haven't seen that many different styles, and without any real experience it's hard to judge, but it strikes me that in effect each clan will probably have a few clans they will dominate over, and a few that they will be weak against.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-03-11, 13:37   Link #304
LKK

Because of the earthquake, Crunchyroll is placing all simulcasts from 3/11 to 3/13 on hold including CardFight Vanguard.

@ Quarkboy: Are you all right?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 09:40   Link #305
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Because of the earthquake, Crunchyroll is placing all simulcasts from 3/11 to 3/13 on hold including CardFight Vanguard.

@ Quarkboy: Are you all right?
Yes, but somewhat shaken.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-03-19, 11:56   Link #306
LKK

Spoiler for ep 10:

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2011-03-19, 14:07   Link #307
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Spoiler for ep 10:
degozaru is the same as "desu" but the version that was spoken by samurai in the edo period.

It's the sentence ending copula and has no meaning by itself.

Please note that I simplified it slightly: Sometimes has says "gozarou" or some other slightly different grammatical conjugation, but in the english translation I just put "-degozaru" after everything to make it less confusing.
Originally I had a version which had him speaking in old fashioned english but it quickly became unworkable.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-03-19, 14:36   Link #308
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
degozaru is the same as "desu" but the version that was spoken by samurai in the edo period.

It's the sentence ending copula and has no meaning by itself.

Please note that I simplified it slightly: Sometimes has says "gozarou" or some other slightly different grammatical conjugation, but in the english translation I just put "-degozaru" after everything to make it less confusing.
Originally I had a version which had him speaking in old fashioned english but it quickly became unworkable.
Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping you'd chime in with an answer.

Old 2011-03-19, 15:14   Link #309
roriconfan
Banned

Ι always translated -desu as "I say". Like kawai-desu means "it's cute, I say".
Gozaru is an extended "If I may say" and Degozaru an even more exteded "if may I say so".
There is also the -des variation which I just leave as "say".

In English, it would be something to make the dialogue more likable and even polite, like "It is indeed a nice day, if may I say so myself".
Old 2011-03-19, 19:11   Link #310
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Ι always translated -desu as "I say". Like kawai-desu means "it's cute, I say".
Gozaru is an extended "If I may say" and Degozaru an even more exteded "if may I say so".
There is also the -des variation which I just leave as "say".

In English, it would be something to make the dialogue more likable and even polite, like "It is indeed a nice day, if may I say so myself".
Well, that's one method, but just to be clear it doesn't _mean_ "if I may say", though it has a similar connotation when it comes to making the line seem polite. Also, I would say the "I say" idea works better for "-desu yo" than just "-desu".

I think, however, you are confusing gozaru with gozaimasu in the above. -degozaimasu is still proper modern Japanese and is used for keigo, respectful speach, as a humbliser to one's own sentence.

It's the "masu" conjugated form of gozaru, but gozaru by itself in its plain form is no longer used in modern Japanese aside from making one sound like they're "talking like a samurai".

Back in the Edo period, each of the different society classes would have different speech levels and "gozaru" was the one for the samurai caste.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-03-26, 14:31   Link #311
fAlcon-

Am I the only one who thought there was something weird about Emi's seiyuu on ep 11?
fAlcon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 14:39   Link #312
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAlcon- View Post
Am I the only one who thought there was something weird about Emi's seiyuu on ep 11?
Since the earthquake, I stopped tracking this. Exactly what have I missed? Anything fantasy like as in with Yugioh Zexal? Or simple.
Old 2011-03-26, 15:15   Link #313
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAlcon- View Post
I didn't notice anything. What I noticed more was the subtitles that weren't properly displayed at all times. (Or the subtitles could have been expressing curse words with typewriter symbols, but I kind of doubt it. )

Old 2011-03-27, 07:08   Link #314
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I wonder how much time before they make cardgames like this compatible with technologies like the ones in the 3DS. What I mean is the whole 3D and augmented reality technology.
Old 2011-04-07, 21:38   Link #315
Matsura
Musha Shugyou

Card scanning and recognition technology already exists, with the in-production Duel Transer and the already existing Duel Terminals. 3D modeling is advanced enough that the card's visuals can be replicated believably, and the 3DS has proven that digital imaging and real-world feed can be interwoven in a practical fashion. The technology exists, but it simply hasn't come together yet. So yes, augmented reality is practical, and actually a much more viable option than volumetric displays.

I've been thinking about how the shop tournament would conclude, and while it seems impossible that they won't match Aichi against Kai, I'm still wondering how he's going to deal with Dragonic Overlord. The episode preview flashed Gancelot on screen, which surprised me considering how much they've been downplaying Gancelot in favor of Alfred. According to his effect text, Gancelot can be shuffled into the deck in order to bring Blaster Blade to the owner's hand from their deck, and as I recall, Aichi actually has two Gancelots in his deck. So he can shuffle Gancelot in to get Blaster Blade on the second turn, grade up into Gancelot on the third, attack to get back his other Gancelot through drive checks, place the second Gancelot in the rearguard, and put Alfred there with him.

Aichi should take damage by this time, so he could then attack with his rearguard Gancelot and Blaster Blade before counterblasting for +5000 power and +1 critical, call two Marrons to boost his vanguard Gancelot, and there would be no way for Kai to wear down a 30,000 power attack that early without having three Lizard Runner Undeux in his hand. With Gancelot's twin drive, Aichi could potentially get double criticals and deal 4 damage on turn 4. Kai could wipe out Aichi's whole rearguard with Dragonic Overlord and(against all odds) get his own double critical, but Aichi can call Isolde from his hand to completely nullify Overlord's first attack and prevent Kai from chaining in the first place. This all relies on a lot of lucky draws though, and this show on the whole doesn't like topdecking.

Taking into account Blaster Blade's ability to instantly remove a rearguard, and Isolde's instant-block, Aichi is running a control deck against someone who's main strategy is attacking more times per turn than the rules allow for. The problem with this is that Vanguard is a game primarily about jousting with the biggest lance, and when you only ever have 4 mana to work from it's kind of difficult to use that ability a lot. He would really need to start running more copies of BB and Gancelot to bring that strategy together.

With regards to Alfred, the first manga volume comes with an 'Early' version of him. This one doesn't have his crazy ability, but it also removes his handicap of not being allowed to be boosted, and keeps his 10,000 base power. Early Alfred can also call Blaster Blade from the deck to the rearguard when he's played as a vanguard, (disregard this, he calls Blaster Blade from the soul to the rearguard) and get a +6,000 boost from Lionmane Stallion. So logically, Early Alfred is actually better, as you can ride him as a vanguard and add Blaster Blade to the rear, call Lionmane Stallion and something like Marron from your hand, and immediately go up to 24,000 power from boosting. This is just from two cards, and there are still three spaces left in the rearguard to bring that up--even a Wingal could raise that very quickly to 30,000. The other Alfred is capped at 20,000 power, so really Aichi should be running the Early version instead.
(Actually, I'm not sure if Lionmane's effect boost stacks with its regular boost? Because if so, then that's +10,000 from a single unit!)

Last edited by Matsura; 2011-04-08 at 22:11. Reason: Incorrect information regarding Alfred -Early-'s effects
Matsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 16:33   Link #316
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There was this one time when Aichi was drawing cards, he drew this card, and by god it looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old. I LOL’ed.

@Matsura — a interesting card strategy I would like to hear is how Aichi could have say won or faired better in some of the battles he lost; knowing his hand and which cards he drew.
Old 2011-04-08, 21:04   Link #317
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Ep 13.

Spoiler:

Also, lol lol lol Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Reference! ^_^

Can anyone post a pic now?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 22:20   Link #318
Matsura
Musha Shugyou

Loving drat I was not expecting that end to the Shop Tournament.

Ep. 13 spoilers
Spoiler:
Matsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 23:22   Link #319
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There was this one time when Aichi was drawing cards, he drew this card, and by god it looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old. I LOL’ed.

@Matsura — a interesting card strategy I would like to hear is how Aichi could have say won or faired better in some of the battles he lost; knowing his hand and which cards he drew.
That's actually the official card art for Wingal.

The one that was in the anime for Wingal earlier was just temporary. Seriously.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-04-09, 02:47   Link #320
roriconfan
Banned

Once again, looks like Kamui lost in the pilot episode out of bad luck. But nice twist with the defeat once more; I really thought Aichi would be undefeatable here on.

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard