AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-24, 18:01   Link #61
IchimaruGin

i think that you are right..
for me i read some diffrent ones, but now i really liked Claymore manga, it's really never lit you stop reading
Old 2008-01-21, 18:07   Link #62
Meggles
Scratch Ticket Champion

Thumbs down Worst Manga You Ever Bought

If you just picked it up on a whim, or you really thought it would be better, what was the worst manga you evr bought?

My worst manga is Cowboy Bebop. I saw the show and I really liked it so I went out and bought the first volume in the manga series. I just isn't as good without the music, and it lacks the originality of series like Bleach and One Piece. I know a lot of you are thinking, "Cowboy Bebop, thats not too bad!" I know, that's why I'm wondering about everyone else's worst manga.
Old 2008-01-21, 18:09   Link #63
Nergol

Zillion. Almost chased me out of fandom.
Old 2008-01-21, 21:05   Link #64
Meggles
Scratch Ticket Champion

Why was it so bad?
Old 2008-01-22, 00:02   Link #65
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Flame of Recca, awesome manga butchered to smitherenes by Viz. So painful to read at times, and really cheap wquality on the paper, but charged a fortune
Old 2008-01-22, 11:29   Link #66
AnimeFangirl

I haven't bought any manga I thought was bad before - piracy kinda helps in this regard. What has happened to me, though, is that I buy a manga at a time when I'm really into it, then later on I fall out of love with it and wonder what on earth possessed me, e.g. Naruto, Yakitate Japan, etc. They're not bad titles, I just don't like them any more. Wish I could have my money back ;__;
Old 2008-01-22, 12:39   Link #67
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

For me, the "Deep Love" mangas are unbearable to start reading. Once you start, you can't stop, and when you finish, you wish you had never started. While well-written, these manga are so unrelentingly depressing, with no good moment left unpunished (usually in a cruelly depraved way), that they make you feel as if the World is trash, and your soul is rotting. Brrrr! *shakes the blues off*

Anyhow, I hate that I ever started reading them, and now I hope I can forget the images burned into my brain from them.
Old 2008-01-23, 14:57   Link #68
u43368
Disabled By Request

Most shounen, especially stuff like Naruto, Bleach etc... I dislike a plethora of genres that I usually jurt ignore, but no matter where I go I always get people reccomending these shounen to me.
Old 2008-01-24, 08:59   Link #69
The_Pink_Furby
The 1 And Only Pink Furby

I carn't seem to get into the rangnarock(sp?) series, the art work seems boring, the story never really went anywhere in the first manga, and i didn't even pick up the second one i was just so bored by the first one.
Old 2008-01-24, 19:45   Link #70
ZODDGUTS

Hot Gimmick ugh worst shoujo series I read EVER. None of the characters are likeable especially the main characters the girl just lets herself get pushed around and abused she's really pathetic. The main male character is pretty much the person who does all of that and he never changes his the same selfish abusive bastard. Gave up on the series only made it up to ch 38. The only good thing I can say about the series is the art was pretty good but other then that...

Suzuka is another series I didn't like because of the characters just didn't like them. Especially Suzuka because of how much a bitch she can be at times. Gave up on that series as well.
Old 2008-01-24, 19:48   Link #71
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggles View Post
it lacks the originality of series like Bleach and One Piece.
Originality? Both of those pretty much follow the typical shounen format.
Old 2008-01-24, 22:08   Link #72
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I think "original" is purely a function of when you jump in. Like the rerun commercials on TV say, "If you missed it the first time, it's new to you!"
Old 2008-01-25, 12:22   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You would be correct. Its even funnier when someone screws up their timeline claiming a later franchise is more original than an older franchise they simply found later. ("wow, this 'beatles' group sounds so much like Smashing Pumpkins... what a rip-off")

Lately, I'm not hating the stories so much as the mediocre translations of the material. When it sounds awkward even when you've not seen the original dialog -- meh.
Old 2008-01-26, 20:14   Link #74
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

I'm a very simple person and a lot of stuff I read satisfies easily and with whats on my shelf, probably the only real mistake I think I made is Welcome to the N.H.K..
The first two or three volumes were pretty good but by the end of it, it just started going nowhere and drag on.

And just as an example of how simple I have and how easily I am pleased, this is what I have on my shelf currently:
Ray, Buso Renkin, Airgear, Alive, Genshiken, Pumpkin Scissors, Shiki Tsukai, Battle Vixens(kinda picks up after vol. 4...), Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Elemental Gelade, KamiKaze, Kamiyadori, King of Thorn, Ecole du Ciel, Rose Hip Zero, Trash(I dunno why I have this on my shelf...), Tsukihime, Junk, Blood Alone, and Variante.
Old 2008-01-26, 23:51   Link #75
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

A rule of thumb I've developed is that if a manga is a spin off of an anime it's probably not going to be very good. On a number of occasions I've accidentally bought the manga of an anime series on the assumption it was the original story when in fact it was a spin off, and I've always been disappointed. Prime example: Full Metal Panic manga. I'd quite forgotten that the original was a series of novels not a manga and impulsively bought a volume of the manga covering some of the fumoffu stories, only to find the opening chapter so badly written as to be incoherent, and the rest of it on the whole subtracting rather than added to the anime storyline.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-01-27, 01:13   Link #76
rimaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
A rule of thumb I've developed is that if a manga is a spin off of an anime it's probably not going to be very good.
Agreed!

This has happened to me a few times:
I'll start a new anime series, then start a bit of the manga after a few weeks, then lose interest in the anime and stop watching it, but then continuing to follow the manga.

A few examples would be Claymore & Bleach
Old 2008-01-27, 02:19   Link #77
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

I thought Bleach anime series came after the manga?
Old 2008-01-27, 08:33   Link #78
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Fruits Basket. Its actually really boring.. First volume i kind of liked it, Second volume I lost all interest. I prefer the anime.

Old 2008-01-28, 15:41   Link #79
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
curious why no one mentioned bastard! yet if that isnt wasted money i dont know what is. it puts Ho Great! to shame when it comes to plot going to oblivion.
the list could go on : matentei conan (case closed) any yaoi manga, 99% of the shounen (some are redeem like yuyu hakusho) 99% of the harem/romance manga, most of the shojo manga etc etc
Old 2008-01-29, 07:30   Link #80
retracnosna

I hate adachi's sports mangas along the sports side of things

everything besides the actual sports...is great. But the main characters are complete disappointments on the sports side

crossover is almost comical for how bad the main guy lets everyone down when it matters
Closed Thread