Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-11-03, 10:28   Link #101
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Ep 05

Man, that sceme at the end with Noel making the firework imagery flash across her underbelly like that and how it flowed into the ED was absolutely lovely. Speaking of EDs, I am happy to report that not only has the ED of the series finally "clicked" with me, but the full versions of both the OP and ED are available, and they are quite nice. In some ways I liked the full version of the ED even more.

Story wise, I found I was relieved, disappointed and curious to see Yuzuki's difficulties resolved like they were and in the manner they were. I was relieved and disappointed for similar reasons - mainly because it was simple (maybe too simple for some) and uncomplicated, yet easy to understand and relate to...at least for me. I was curious because of the speed of its resolution (and Shione seems next in the gate), for by next ep at the half way mark it seems the tension, friction and drama amongst the friends will be resolved...or at least the ice will be broken. But that means the other half of the series will be dedicated to...what? Noel fulfilling Nonoka's promise? A lot in that regard is not really clear, but I have a feeling details of the latter two may come more into focus. Frankly I am quite curious to learn more about Noel.

Anyhoo, good ep all around for me.
I'm in agreement. I really liked this episode. I haven't seen much from this genre, but I really liked the tones and the resolution here. I felt pretty damn terrible earlier on after episode 4, but it was really nice getting the resolution here at the end of episode 5. This almost felt as nice as the resolution of similar drama in Clannad AS (near its beginning)...

The ED has really also grown one me in addition to the OP. The ED is pretty darn perfect after that emotional resolution.

Also, I'm curious as to whether or not the kids will have interesting reactions to the fireworks.

Seeing the real reason for why she was angry at everyone else was enlightening... she was angry at herself and just didn't want to admit it. I'm sure everyone's been there before, and it becomes even worse when one of the people who protected you from responsibility is in the hospital and even takes the full blame and lies in order to protect you... and you can't do anything about it...

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 12:40   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It's certainly possible that I missed something, but I don't quite get the seemingly substantial significance of that one photo that caused Yuzuki to break down the way she did.

Did Yuzuki (and Shione?) just assume that Nonoka completely bailed on them during fireworks day, and that she wasn't even in town that day? And this time-stamped photo proves otherwise?

In any event, Episode 5 was a very good episode. I actually did feel some goosebumps during the last minute or two. The source of all of this drama continues to be a bit eyebrow-raising, but it's executed so marvelously that it's amazingly starting to not matter much to me.
Old 2014-11-03, 12:54   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Is no one else remotely bothered by the fact that Yuzuki never apologized to her brother, despite the fact that he broke his leg because of her selfishness, covered for her, and the she treated him like shit for seven years for it?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 12:59   Link #104
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Is no one else remotely bothered by the fact that Yuzuki never apologized to her brother, despite the fact that he broke his leg because of her selfishness, covered for her, and the she treated him like shit for seven years for it?
I noticed that too x_x
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 13:08   Link #105
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Yes. I also noticed that. However, there are still other eps and such.

I think they went the route they did because she had gotten to the state where her misdirected anger acquired a new immediate target in the person of Nonoka, and it was through Nonoka that the melting process began (it had been unable to begin with Koharu), so when she was finally able to begin to stop shaking her fist at fate and blaming the disc, her brother, her childhood friend, and then Nonoka she first went to the cause that helped her actually see how she was in the wrong; i.e. Nonoka.

To me this did not imply a closed chapter, but rather a beginning step that would spread out to everyone else in time. So no, it didn't "bother me" per se, but yes - I would definitely like to see her also ask forgiveness of her childhood friend and her brother too.
Old 2014-11-03, 13:12   Link #106
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll lay you a bet we never see that apology on screen...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 13:20   Link #107
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I thought that the apology at the end of the EP to the three of them basically included that. The apologies to all of them were all made for different reasons, and like Flower said, I'm expecting this to be built upon later in the series, when it will be eventually referenced again... Either way, like Triple R said, I also got goosebumps at the last few minutes of the EP.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 15:46   Link #108
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I thought that the apology at the end of the EP to the three of them basically included that.
Yeah, that's how I took it too.

Yuzuki's exact dialogue, going by the subs I had...

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry! I've always wanted to apologize. To you, to Koharu, and to Onii-chan. I'm sorry. It's all my fault."

Granted, Onii-chan probably should have come first here, but at least she didn't forget that she should apologize to him as well.

Yuzuki's behavior up to that apology has been pretty bad, but that struck me as a very sincere and heartfelt and unambiguous apology. As long as she really does improve going forward, and starts treating her brother better, I'm inclined to be satisfied with this.
Old 2014-11-03, 16:17   Link #109
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Granted, Onii-chan probably should have come first
I'm not sure about that. She was a jerk to him and all, but the accident was just an accident. She's in part responsible for it but it's not her fault. On the other hand, she explicitly used the saucer and Nonoka as scapegoat. That's an actual offense from her part, so I thought it was appropriate to apologize to Nonoka first.
Old 2014-11-03, 16:54   Link #110
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'm not sure about that. She was a jerk to him and all, but the accident was just an accident. She's in part responsible for it but it's not her fault. On the other hand, she explicitly used the saucer and Nonoka as scapegoat. That's an actual offense from her part, so I thought it was appropriate to apologize to Nonoka first.
I could get that perspective, if not for the overall time-frame involved.

Yuzuki wronged Nonoka, but it's only been since Nonoka returned. Which has been what - A few days? A couple weeks, maybe?

In sharp contrast, it's heavily implied that Yuzuki has been treating her brother terribly for seven years.

Yuzuki has a lot more, in sheer quantity, to apologize to her brother about than what she has to apologize to Nonoka about.
Old 2014-11-03, 17:18   Link #111
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Yuzuki wronged Nonoka, but it's only been since Nonoka returned. Which has been what - A few days? A couple weeks, maybe?
Nonoka not being there to be the target of her aggression doesn't change anything imo. She decided that Nonoka was to blame for what happened to her brother since the day of the accident. That's what matters. Since that day she has been blaming Nonoka, even though she knew it wasn't her fault.

That's the main issue. In fact, that's the reason she was behaving like the bitch to her brother all this time. She was ashamed because she knew she was projecting her guilt on the saucer and Nonoka, unfairly blaming them for her problems, and couldn't bear to face her brother like that. So she avoided and lashed out to him. That's why she could only face her brother after apologizing to Nonoka.
Old 2014-11-03, 17:30   Link #112
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Nonoka not being there to be the target of her aggression doesn't change anything imo. She decided that Nonoka was to blame for what happened to her brother since the day of the accident. That's what matters. Since that day she has been blaming Nonoka, even though she knew it wasn't her fault.
Yuzuki was friendly to Nonoka in the first two or three episodes. It's only when the revelation was made at the end of Episode 3 that Yuzuki started to turn harshly on Nonoka.

So I really don't see how your argument works here. She hasn't been blaming Nonoka constantly.

But even if she was blaming Nonoka constantly... what difference does it make to Nonoka if Nonoka's not around to feel that abuse, or even be aware of it?

In sharp contrast, Yuzuki's brother has been around to feel loads of mistreatment for seven years.

Just as a practical matter, who's been affected more by Yuzuki's harsh behavior - Nonoka or Souta? The answer is obviously Souta, in my view. So he's the one that Yuzuki most needs to apologize to, in my view.
Old 2014-11-03, 17:51   Link #113
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Yuzuki was friendly to Nonoka in the first two or three episodes.
Because she didn't know who she was.

Quote:
But even if she was blaming Nonoka constantly... what difference does it make to Nonoka if Nonoka's not around to feel that abuse, or even be aware of it?
But it's not really about Nonoka. It's about herself, about her own feelings. For her, using Nonoka as scapegoat was really shameful and painful. So she needed to apologize to her first to move on. Only after that she was able to face her brother and Koharu.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:06   Link #114
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
But it's not really about Nonoka. It's about herself, about her own feelings. For her, using Nonoka as scapegoat was really shameful and painful. So she needed to apologize to her first to move on. Only after that she was able to face her brother and Koharu.
I disagree. She could have apologized to her brother first. She absolutely could have done that, and I frankly think it's silly to argue otherwise.

And when a person makes an apology, you (in a general sense) should be focusing on the person you're apologizing to, not on yourself. The focus should be on the hurt you caused to the other person, or the problems you caused for the other person, and empathy should be the focus, not a self-centered focus on your own personal feelings.

An apology shouldn't be about making yourself feel better. An apology should be about making the other person (the person you're apologizing to) feel better, in my view.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:20   Link #115
Kazu-kun

^ Instead of thinking what you would do in her place, try to understand why she did what she did. It's not like she cares about Nonoka more than her brother. In fact, it's clear from her voice when she apologized that she cares about him the most. Yet, she apologized to Nonoka first, because blaming her was the root of the problem. In order to move on and be able to face her beloved brother, she needed to do that first. There's a reason it was a picture of Nonoka what made her go in the first place.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but it makes perfect sense all things considering, and that's what matters.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:39   Link #116
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Between Souta steadying the box and that one transition in the ED, this show is either subtly foreshadowing a Souta/Koharu pairing or tossing in a red herring.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 18:47   Link #117
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Between Souta steadying the box and that one transition in the ED, this show is either subtly foreshadowing a Souta/Koharu pairing or tossing in a red herring.
Yeah, I think there's something going on there. I doubt it's a red herring since it's pretty obvious, especially from Souta's part. He always seems to gravitate to her somehow.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:54   Link #118
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but it makes perfect sense all things considering, and that's what matters.
She did the right thing. She apologized to all three of them. That's what matters most, at least at this juncture.

My point is that the person she wronged the most was her brother, so I can kind of understand where Guardian Enzo is coming from. I just hope that Souta's part in this isn't ignored in future episodes (i.e. I hope Yuzuki doesn't revert to being totally tsuntsun to him, as it would make it seem like her apology to him was a secondary concern).
Old 2014-11-03, 18:54   Link #119
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
He always seems to gravitate to her somehow.
Did you spot a previous case of it then? I didn't notice until the box steadying bit this week.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 18:59   Link #120
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I wonder where I got the expectation of the Kouta and Koharu pairing? Now that I think about it I may have always just assumed it as a possibility without any evidence.

Oh yes - thanks for pointing that out Triple R...yeah, the CR tl has her apologizing to all three of them. I had forgotten her mentioning all three. In any event I am glad she did, but I still expect the seed planted to continue to flower. After all, the anger colored the entire relations and interactions, so those will have to be rebuilt too. Am very much looking forward to that.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-11-03 at 23:40. Reason: typos...
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, school