AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-12-06, 14:26   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 888 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yep, as you can see from the title, we've got double issues coming up, as per usual during the holiday season (meaning a few more breaks for SJ manga). However, this also means we'll be getting earlier spoilers! And now I present this week's spoiler, with credit going to AP forum's ScotchInformer:

-Chapter title is "Lion". Splash ministory features Ideo forming his own pirate crew.

-Luffy begins his rematch with Katakuri. The commander asks if he returned to die, or to surrender and become a part of Big Mom's alliance. Luffy responds that he came back to WIN. Katakuri is not amused by Luffy's answer, telling him that victory is not an option....!!!

-Meanwhile, out at sea, the Sunny is surrounded by enemies. Behind them, is Big Mom and Smoothie's fleet of ships. In front of them, is Daifuku's fleet! However, despite this despair-inducing situation, Carrot confidently shouts out that she'll take care of this problem, as there's a full moon out tonight. Upon gazing at the moon, the young mink transforms, morphing into an older, adult-like body! She then goes on the offensive, leaping towards Daifuku's fleet...!!!!

-It's explained that when the mink race looks upon the full moon, they transform into a more powerful form known as "Ceylon". Ceylon-mode Carrot proceeds to destroy Daifuku's forces, all by herself. As the crew watches her prowess, Chopper in particular is rendered speechless by the newly transformed mink's power....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-12-08 at 07:21.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 15:05   Link #2
Rainbowman

Carrot takes the spotlight this chapter. Another reason for her to join the crew along with Jinbe.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 19:20   Link #3
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Carrot takes the spotlight this chapter. Another reason for her to join the crew along with Jinbe.
Awe man, imagine how powerful the crew would be if they had both Carrot and Jinbe?

So, Luffy back in action. If only he wasn't absent last week, the battle could have started already but no!! I'm still confused about what last weeks chapter accomplished.

I'm rooting for you Luffy, I know once you set your mind onto something you do it.

Double chapter this week and no chapter next week? NO!!!

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-07, 00:23   Link #4
WyrdMonger

Both Carrot and Jinbei are seemingly missing an important requirement for being a Straw Hat: they both need a tragic backstory.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-07, 00:33   Link #5
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemhotaTech View Post
Both Carrot and Jinbei are seemingly missing an important requirement for being a Straw Hat: they both need a tragic backstory.
I’m pretty sure that Jinbei’s story counts as a tragic one (probably more so than Zoro’s one, for example). As for Carrot, we still might get some flashback (though I don’t think it’s necessary).
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-07, 00:41   Link #6
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-It's explained that when the mink race looks upon the full moon, they transform into a more powerful form known as "Suron".
Sounds like a tribute to Dragonball.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-07, 02:39   Link #7
teejmo

Quote:
I don't know, watching her idol blow himself up to save her seems pretty tragic, even if isn't backstory.
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-07, 12:50   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I'd say the Fisher Tiger flashback counts as Jinbe's tragic backstory. At this point he's already an official member anyway. Carrot's fate, on the other hand, is still unknown. I'd like her to join because it would mean one more girl, and it'd be refreshing to have a "dumb/naive" girl in the crew who could get along really well with Luffy, Usopp and Chopper.
Old 2017-12-07, 22:36   Link #9
marvelB

Hey guys, how 'bout a preview?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Still, despite this, I'm still not sure about Carrot joining, ESPECIALLY if the transformation is a trait shared by all minks. I mean, if Pekoms and Pedro (if he's still alive) are capable of going Oozaru "Suron" mode as well, would that make Carrot all the more special in comparison? I think she needs a wee bit more of a unique trait to display before I'd consider her Straw-Hat material....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Double chapter this week and no chapter next week? NO!!!
No, not double chapter, but double ISSUE. Like I said in my previous post, the magazine releases double issues when holidays come around. It doesn't mean double the content, unfortunately..... just that the magazine will be on break the next week. Just something to deal with around this time of year, lol.
Old 2017-12-08, 02:55   Link #10
Ultragunner

I think I might jump ship to “Best girl Carrot” after this chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmo View Post
I don't know, watching her idol blow himself up to save her seems pretty tragic, even if isn't backstory.
to be honest, Usopp’s back story wasn’t that tragic either, sure he lost his mom at a young age but he certainly wasn’t abused (excluding those time he was spewing lies to the people)

so yeah, witnessing your teacher/brother figure blowing himself up would certainly qualify as a “tragic backstory “
Old 2017-12-08, 02:58   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

forget Jinbei and Pudding... Carrot is the next nakama

go Carrot!!! her lion form is stunning and beautiful
if Chopper is bruiser type... Carrot is pure agility and swift type... simply perfect
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 04:16   Link #12
Clipens

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmo View Post
After this chapter I don't think Pedro is dead. He has a boost form (like his rival), his best friend Pekoms is on the same island, there is a homie which recognize him and the power of Soru-soru is weakening, Prometheus is looking for a person which feed it with "fire", there are a lot of people who wait the defeat of Mont d'Or inside their book trap...

Whole Cake Island has a an excessive amount of narrative potential to mantain Pedro as a dead character
Clipens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 07:29   Link #13
marvelB

Okay, slightly updated the summary! Geez, whose bright idea was it to use cannonballs with minds of their own?! And Big Mom's weight loss is curious, as well..... but then again, she pretty much spent the whole day chasing the Straw-Hats without rest, after all.

Anyway, looks like the were-minks are supposed to be called "Ceylon", so I changed terms accordingly. Man, if Carrot alone can barrel through Daifuku's fleet like that, I can't imagine how powerful the dukes Inuarashi and Nekomamushi would become in that form.... like the flashback indicated, they probably would have freaking WRECKED Jack, lol. So anyway, Carrot vs. Daifuku or Smoothie next chapter? Or will she avenge Pedro and go after Perospero instead....?
Old 2017-12-08, 11:31   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Carrot's ceylon form looks beautiful. That it can only be used during a full moon is quite a problem, but much like in Dragon Ball, I bet someone will find a way to create an artificial moon so she can use it more often!

...Assuming she even joins the crew, that is.
Old 2017-12-08, 12:13   Link #15
Blaat

All this full moon build up and she doesn't turn into a giant monkey.
Old 2017-12-08, 12:48   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Carrot's ceylon form looks beautiful. That it can only be used during a full moon is quite a problem, but much like in Dragon Ball, I bet someone will find a way to create an artificial moon so she can use it more often!

...Assuming she even joins the crew, that is.
Well another plausible power up would be her being able to use that form or even dumb down versions of it, without the full moon. Kinda like how Chopper eventually learned to control all his rumble transformations without the rumble ball, and now only needs the rumble ball for his monster form. The idea that she could only use this power once a month would likely make it WAY too limiting, and it would feel a bit contrived if it was ALWAYS a full moon everytime the crew needed her to step up

Though i do feel like this does increase her chances of joining the crew. I mean this kind of power up seems like it would be something odd to give to a character that's only meant to be a guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
All this full moon build up and she doesn't turn into a giant monkey.
Well that's because she has a tail; she goes SSJ4
Old 2017-12-09, 02:23   Link #17
The Small One

Somehow the start of the chapter seemed a bit rushed. Luffy is back in his fight and already worn out on his knees.

Even though the transformation was cool, I wonder what exactly are the powers it bestows on the mink. Carrot seems to be super-fast (soru?) and can fly (geppo?).
Though it seems a bit overpowered if a single Mink can basically take out a whole sub-fleet. An army of them should be able to overroll the world.
Old 2017-12-09, 02:36   Link #18
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Somehow the start of the chapter seemed a bit rushed. Luffy is back in his fight and already worn out on his knees.

Even though the transformation was cool, I wonder what exactly are the powers it bestows on the mink. Carrot seems to be super-fast (soru?) and can fly (geppo?).
Though it seems a bit overpowered if a single Mink can basically take out a whole sub-fleet. An army of them should be able to overroll the world.
Only at full moon, no full moon they play hide and seek.

On a serious note; loved Carrots transformation, didnt see that one comming.
When both Jinbei and Carrot join the strawhats, oh dear.
Old 2017-12-09, 02:53   Link #19
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHollowIchigo View Post
Only at full moon, no full moon they play hide and seek.
A lot of them aren't really weak without the power up either. And a single full moon night should be enough to take over a country or two. A once killed enemy stays dead even when the power up is gone.
However this transformation was just revealed. We don't know anything about it limits (time?) or tolls yet. All we know so far is, that it's a power a lot of Minks have the potential to do it, but it must be trained.
Old 2017-12-09, 03:06   Link #20
J4n1

Frankly, i am disappointed by Carrots transformation, at fullmoon, she turns into a model.
Seriously?
Proper monster form would have been interesting, instead we get a form barely distinguishable from the rest of the female cast.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote