AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-21, 13:38   Link #301
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Then, I guess, you aught to visit some thread where you will actually see (or better yet, have seen) the topic of discussion.

So, since enough people have probably watched it now, what do you guys think about the mythology of the world?

I didn't exactly understand their notion of nations. There is this Northern government, from where the Xam'd parasite seems to have originated (that priestess and the girls in the beginning), then there are these Free States (or something, don't remember the exact word). Does this imply that the southern continent has one government and these free states are somehow autonomous of it?

The captain of the ship yelled that they can't go in their airspace, even though they pursue the northerners.

Is there any description of the world on the website? Perhaps duckroll can help us?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 15:12   Link #302
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
I didn't exactly understand their notion of nations. There is this Northern government, from where the Xam'd parasite seems to have originated (that priestess and the girls in the beginning), then there are these Free States (or something, don't remember the exact word)?
'Vasssal States', i think was the word was the word that was used.

As for the Xam'd i wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a parasite but more of symbiote. There was some attention on seeds/eggs at the start of the episode, so it may be possible that the Xam'd is a sort of plant like lifeform that merges with other lifeforms for a unkown reason (possibly reproduction).

Concerning the large black creatures that were shown in the preview and the OP, are they on the same side as white 'Humanforms' that look similar to Xam'd? Are the humanforms mecha or are they biological armour/guyver like creatures similar to the Xam'd.

I also wouldn't call the world Xam'd is set in 'Steampunk' as that means the main powersource in the world is steam. I would call it 'retro-futurstic' which is what is used to describe things like 'Dan Dare' or 'The Jetsons', but what else could you call it? The world does seem to be similar to the ninteen fifties, there is radio but no televsion (which is evident in the fact that there are no display screens in the air docks control room or onboard the ship at the start) and the bus and other vehicles seem to be of an old design.

Also can someone tell what the lights with changing shutters was at the start? some sort of communication similar to Semaphore or morsecode perhaps?

Last edited by terrus; 2008-07-21 at 15:23.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 16:34   Link #303
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
or are they biological armour/guyver like creatures similar to the Xam'd.
I'm gonna put my money on biological. That's just the feeling i get when i see them in the OP, along with their design & what we've seen from the Xam'd transformation scene.

Quote:
also wouldn't call the world Xam'd is set in 'Steampunk' as that means the main powersource in the world is steam. I would call it 'retro-futurstic' which is what is used to describe things like 'Dan Dare' or 'The Jetsons', but what else could you call it? The world does seem to be similar to the ninteen fifties, there is radio but no televsion (which is evident in the fact that there are no display screens in the air docks control room or onboard the ship at the start) and the bus and other vehicles seem to be of an old design.
Retro-futuristic is a good one. Though maybe future isn't the word we're looking for here --- all we're seeing is technology unlike our own. I am rather amazed with the old style fashion though --- bus and all. It just makes me look forward to what else we may see from this series in terms of old fashion.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:39   Link #304
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
So, since enough people have probably watched it now, what do you guys think about the mythology of the world?
Actually, I was wondering if the setting is supposed to be pseudo-present day Earth with an alternate history, or if it's completely fantasy ala Dragonball. In episode one, Akiyuki spots this weird looking animal that seems totally made up by the creators of this anime, so this got me to wondering.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 16:53   Link #305
ZODDGUTS

Didn't also Akihiko sp? friend also mentioned about not wanting to be purged when mentioning about the Northern state.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 17:11   Link #306
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Actually, I was wondering if the setting is supposed to be pseudo-present day Earth with an alternate history, or if it's completely fantasy ala Dragonball. In episode one, Akiyuki spots this weird looking animal that seems totally made up by the creators of this anime, so this got me to wondering.
The geography is completely un-Earth-like.

Well, actually, the two continents sort of looks like our Laurasia and Gondwana (the original proto-continents of Earth), but not really, so I call it an alien world completely. 8)

Quote:
Didn't also Akihiko sp? friend also mentioned about not wanting to be purged when mentioning about the Northern state.
Judging by the soldiers, their city seems to be under control of some authoritarian junta that is in a state of frozen conflict with the Northerners. Either that military is part of an occupation force (hence it is a vassal state), or something else entirely. The populace seems fairly carefree, as you mentioned, the only taboo subject seem to be the Northerners, so it is unlikely that the junta is of domestic origin and they live in some kind of a totalitarian society.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 17:41   Link #307
ZODDGUTS

Another thing I notice is that there's alot of people with blue eyes even the bunny had blue eyes! Probably nothing, though I find it odd that many japanese/asian? in the Island have blue eyes in the anime. Then again in this pseudo world blue eyes is probably common for them.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 18:20   Link #308
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Another thing I notice is that there's alot of people with blue eyes even the bunny had blue eyes!
Speaking of those creatures am i the only one who's noticed that every series that Yoshida has done the character desings for has had some sort of cute hybrid animal in it.

I'll give you a list.
Overman King gainer: the princess's Ferrit/squirrels
Eureka Seven: Gulliver the Lemur/sheep/dog
Project Blue Earth SOS: whilst i didn't watch this i was sure i saw a character carrying some sort of creature in the trailer for it.
Xam'd: The rabbit/cat/dogs (did Akiyuki call them Nekomata's or something?)

Granted i know that Yoshida is not the chracter designer for Xam'd but the character designs are based on his own.
Old 2008-07-21, 18:26   Link #309
aardvark

I finally watched episode 1 and as I expected, it was nothing short of excellent.

Fantastic animation, backgrounds, music. Interesting worldview setup as well. In other words just the things I'd expect from a great BONES original anime.

Its nice to finally have a mecha anime this year to look forward to.

Quote:
Speaking of those creatures am i the only one who's noticed that every series that Yoshida has done the character desings for has had some sort of cute hybrid animal in it.

I'll give you a list.
Overman King gainer: the princess's Ferrit/squirrels
Eureka Seven: Gulliver the Lemur/sheep/dog
Project Blue Earth SOS: whilst i didn't watch this i was sure i saw a character carrying some sort of creature in the trailer for it.
Xam'd: The rabbit/cat/dogs (did Akiyuki call them Nekomata's or something?)

Granted i know that Yoshida is not the chracter designer for Xam'd but the character designs are based on his own.
Pretty sure that Yoshida had nothing to do with Blue Earth SOS. And the Xamdou designs arent based on his own either, its just a product of his styles influence at Bones (unless thats what you meant heh).
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 18:52   Link #310
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Another thing I notice is that there's alot of people with blue eyes even the bunny had blue eyes! Probably nothing, though I find it odd that many japanese/asian? in the Island have blue eyes in the anime. Then again in this pseudo world blue eyes is probably common for them.
It's just a feeling I got, but it didn't seem like some of the characters were intended to be Asian, particularly the second line of the crew members.

Anybody else feel there's a connection between Nakiami and the elderly woman? She's sporting the same markings and eyes.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 19:00   Link #311
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Anybody else feel there's a connection between Nakiami and the elderly woman? She's sporting the same markings and eyes.
I'm guessing they're from the same tribe, though that's if they are tribal markings. If not then they'll be some relation.

They remind me of the Vodarac marks from Eureka Seven.
Old 2008-07-21, 19:11   Link #312
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm guessing they're from the same tribe, though that's if they are tribal markings. If not then they'll be some relation.

They remind me of the Vodarac marks from Eureka Seven.
Xam'd will definitely expand on some of the things that were present in Eureka, I expect the Religious Groups will probably one of the expanded upon aspects during the show.

Last edited by aardvark; 2008-07-21 at 19:27.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 19:19   Link #313
Zoe

Ah, finally remembered what else I was gonna post.

I guess the people in this world are used to "aliens" (for lack of a better word at this moment)? Akiyuki didn't seem to be fazed at all by the neon blood.
Old 2008-07-21, 19:21   Link #314
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
I guess the people in this world are used to "aliens" (for lack of a better word at this moment)? Akiyuki didn't seem to be fazed at all by the neon blood.
At this point we have no idea how the neon blood will have been displayed in this world, so for all we know there's a good reason why he wasn't shocked by it.
Old 2008-07-21, 21:31   Link #315
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But the policeman covered his face so law enforcement is aware that it is contagious and Akiyuki isn't.
Old 2008-07-22, 08:43   Link #316
comatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
I think you can actually buy the HD version if you aren't in the U.S.

When I browsed the US PSN store it didn't have the Video tab(I am outside of U.S.)

But I clicked on the front page that advertised Xam'd. It directly showed me to the Xam'd page, where I had an option to "buy" it. Although I didn't buy it(Didn't have any PSN credit on US PSN ). If you have credits I think you can buy it.

Since when I went through the process. At the end it said "You don't have Credit on your PSN account".
The download is US IP locked, so you'll be very lucky to even finish the download through a proxy before the rental expires.
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 09:29   Link #317
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose View Post
The download is US IP locked, so you'll be very lucky to even finish the download through a proxy before the rental expires.
You have up to a week to download and watch it. The 24 hours kicks in once you start watching it.
Old 2008-07-22, 11:16   Link #318
terrus

So then... Judging by the quietness on the board and the fact it's now mid-day by EST I assume that the second episode hasn't been uploaded to the video market?
Old 2008-07-22, 11:19   Link #319
Zoe

Quote:
So then... judging by the quietness on the board and the fact it's now mid-day by EST I assume that the second episode hasn't been uploaded to the video market?
Normal PSN store updates come early evening.
Old 2008-07-22, 11:24   Link #320
terrus

^
Ah my mistake, usually here in England the PSN network is updated from as early as 9am untill midday.

Last edited by terrus; 2008-07-22 at 11:47.

Tags
bones