AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2014-08-31, 12:02   Link #701
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyendith View Post
I like Sōichirō's version of Amanda much more than Yaeko Ninagawa's for some reason… Butler is his magnificent self, but that's no surprise.
Agreed- I think it mostly has to do with her facial expressions and body language and the like, she just seems so much more personable. In the novels, even when she was being kind, she came off as aloof and kinda arrogant, but here she seems much more genuine. Also, her smile is really really cute.
Old 2014-09-06, 12:13   Link #702
Lyendith

I was wondering, do you think I should spoiler tag the real names of the Japanese characters on this page? They are not really plot relevant, but it's still pleasant to discover them in the story, so I don't know…

Not that there are that many people visiting RGD's trope page in the first place.
Lyendith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 20:55   Link #703
Kyrrangela
Sannin's Trainee

I think it'd be nice to spoiler tag them just in case some people don't want to get ahead of themselves, although going to tv tropes is actually risking yourself to a lot of spoilers.

In my opinion, it'd be a great thing to spoiler tag them, I'm sure no one will complain because you hid them but some could or would if you showed it.

Hope I helped and didn't actually meddle on your question!
Old 2014-09-07, 14:38   Link #704
Lyendith

Nope, you're probably right. At least no-one will complain that way.

I removed some sensible spoilers for season 3-4 while I was at it…
Old 2014-09-13, 23:14   Link #705
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Just read Scene 6, and man, that early cameo of Meijiu was so mean... At least show us his face...
Old 2014-09-14, 05:14   Link #706
Lyendith

Yeah, it's a bit of a pity, but admittedly that scene wasn't strictly necessary.

Also note that on the same page we see the pickpocket kid from Scene 1.
Old 2014-09-14, 10:49   Link #707
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Also note that on the same page we see the pickpocket kid from Scene 1.
Oh, really? I didn't notice that! (On a side note, I really liked that bit of the manga- It wasn't in the VN (I don't think...) but it felt really natural and was a great way to show the change that Japan had underwent.
Old 2014-09-17, 09:46   Link #708
Lyendith

Yeah, it was nice to have Leo interact with someone rather than just visiting the city himself (those early exploration parts were quite boring in the VN). It's those little additions that make him more relatable in the manga I think.

Speaking of the manga, I just received my Season 2 volumes, and boy Nana Natsunishi's adaptation is near-perfect. Hell, Ryukishi himself admits that her depiction is better than the VN in the author comment! And I have to agree with him. I like Zel much more in this version, she just seems to have more… substance? I don't know how to say it. She's pretty funny too. Well, when I say "near-perfect", I'm talking about the first half of it, the "Season 2" part; after Wang's entrance there are some heavy issues, although some of it is because the VN itself improved significantly from that point on − meaning I'm more annoyed when bits of dialogue or scenes are cut.

The weirdest one is probably that
Spoiler for 1948 spoilers:
and well, the climax felt really rushed overall. It didn't nearly have the tension it had in the VN, the main reasons being that a)we didn't really have time to become familiar with Wang and b)… unlike the VN, where she was obviously cornered and desperate at some point, Rose is never really shown under pressure here. She takes her decision almost casually.

One bit of explanation at the end was also omitted, which changes the comprehension of the events.

Spoiler:

That Season would have need 4 volumes like S1 I think, or at least one or two more chapters… with only 15 chapters the margin was way too tight. That's a damn shame because 1948 is the year that has the most direct focus on Rose, and the S2 manga… kind of spoiled a good part of it, sadly. She still has some badass moments, though.

There is an interesting Q&A from Ryūkishi at the end of volume 3 also. =)

Last edited by Lyendith; 2014-09-17 at 13:31.
Old 2014-10-02, 16:21   Link #709
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Talking about this in the Higurashi thread, but 07th Expansion appears to be working on a crossover game, which will feature Rose Guns Days, in addition to Higurashi, Umineko, and Higanbana. I'm pretty excited.
Old 2014-10-02, 20:10   Link #710
Kyrrangela
Sannin's Trainee

Really? Are there any details as to how it will be or what's it about?
Old 2014-10-02, 21:26   Link #711
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Oops. It's apparently a set of videos... That's a bummer, a crossover sounds really cool. It'd be a great way to attract more readers, too...
Old 2014-10-03, 04:54   Link #712
Lyendith

So that's what the images on their twitter are about?

I was wondering what it was… it looks pretty funny.
Old 2014-10-03, 05:33   Link #713
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
So that's what the images on their twitter are about?

I was wondering what it was… it looks pretty funny.
I'll be honest: I'm sorely disappointed. A crossover VN would be so fun.
Old 2014-10-03, 07:48   Link #714
Kyrrangela
Sannin's Trainee

Oh, yeah, it did sound really cool! They could make a fighting game or maybe even a crazy big story, but I'm sure it'd be real hard so I thought it would end up being a fighting or a type of minigame.

So, what are the set of videos about?

Edit!
I'm on a Umineko forum and one of the admins put the screenshots that have appeared on Ryukishi07's Twitter. They also put the following message that appeared after the last Screenshot:
続き→「07thシアター」とは、過去の上映会作品&当日の上映会の書き下ろしスクリプトを収録した作品で す。アフター上映会にどうしても出られない! という方にぴったり! 十分な数を用意しておりますので、ぜ ひ遊びにいらしてください!

It seems this thing's called "07th Theatre".

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kyrrangela; 2014-10-03 at 17:23. Reason: Found some info!
Kyrrangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 18:10   Link #715
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrangela View Post
Oh, yeah, it did sound really cool! They could make a fighting game or maybe even a crazy big story, but I'm sure it'd be real hard so I thought it would end up being a fighting or a type of minigame.

So, what are the set of videos about?

Edit!
I'm on a Umineko forum and one of the admins put the screenshots that have appeared on Ryukishi07's Twitter. They also put the following message that appeared after the last Screenshot:
続き→「07thシアター」とは、過去の上映会作品&当日の上映会の書き下ろしスクリプトを収録した作品で す。アフター上映会にどうしても出られない! という方にぴったり! 十分な数を用意しておりますので、ぜ ひ遊びにいらしてください!

It seems this thing's called "07th Theatre".

What do you guys think?
Honestly, I just want to see it. It doesn't even need to be translated, I just wanna see it!

Also, does anyone know about the official Higurashi Drama CDs? There seems to be two different series- one based on the Visual Novels, and one based on the manga. Do you think we'll ever see a Rose Guns Days Drama CD? I don't think Frontier Works had anything to do with either, so it'll come down to how popular the manga is, I guess. It's published in the Square Enix mags, right? Do you think that's something we'll we see?
Old 2014-10-12, 19:16   Link #716
TW25

07th Theater was a VN distributed at 07th Expansion Party 3. It contains the scenarios for this event and the last one (seeing as the first 07th Expansion Party distributed an RGD info booklet rather than a scenario).

There are no plans for it to be distributed to the general public as of now. And it's not a set of videos, although a literal translation would cause that confusion.
TW25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 19:21   Link #717
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW25 View Post
07th Theater was a VN distributed at 07th Expansion Party 3. It contains the scenarios for this event and the last one (seeing as the first 07th Expansion Party distributed an RGD info booklet rather than a scenario).

There are no plans for it to be distributed to the general public as of now. And it's not a set of videos, although a literal translation would cause that confusion.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but... I've seen you around, and you seem to live in Japan and know Japanese (Sorry if I'm getting any of this wrong,) have you been to any of the 07th Expansion Parties? If so, that's really cool, what are they like? I've only seen the posters and some merchandise online (like the cell-phone charms/keychains,) so hearing more would be neat! I don't know Japanese, so I've only been able to go by what's been posted on their Twitter, in Japanese.
Old 2014-10-12, 19:41   Link #718
TW25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but... I've seen you around, and you seem to live in Japan and know Japanese (Sorry if I'm getting any of this wrong,) have you been to any of the 07th Expansion Parties? If so, that's really cool, what are they like? I've only seen the posters and some merchandise online (like the cell-phone charms/keychains,) so hearing more would be neat! I don't know Japanese, so I've only been able to go by what's been posted on their Twitter, in Japanese.
First, I'm very pleased with your assumptions

Unfortunately, I'm only in the middle of studying Japanese and I live in the US. I was planning to attend 07th Party 3 but those plans fell through so I wasn't able to make it. I'm a huge 07th Expansion fan though so I do have a few posts here and there and I like to be the first to report on information (when I'm capable of doing so). If you check this thread, I managed to be the first to report on all four Rose Guns Days pre-order detail announcements.

I threw that last part in to make this post on-topic. I'm absolutely done with the Higurashi thread so here are some miscellaneous notes about 07th Expansion that came from the Hou release:
*07th Expansion is switching to releasing once per year instead of twice per year
*07th Party 3 may or may not be the last one; the future is uncertain
*Producing more non-electronic games or taking part in commercial works like Rewrite or doing something completely new might all be paths Ryuukishi takes in the future

And one that demands to be said again:
*This December is another one-off work, as it always has been, but everyone thinks it's going to be Aliens When They Cry for no reason whatsoever. It's about three worlds, ONE of which is sci-fi. Ryuukishi also said he hopes to have it out this year the last time he talked about which was a while ago, so there may be a delay.
Old 2014-10-12, 20:21   Link #719
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Thank you so much for replying, a lot of this news really made my day! (And I can totally understand being fed up with the Higurashi thread. All this absurd melodrama is getting on my nerves as well.)

Quote:
*07th Expansion is switching to releasing once per year instead of twice per year
Really? That's disappointing, but if that makes it easier for Ryukishi, that's fine. I guess this means the English world will be closer to the Japanese in terms of releases!

Quote:
*07th Party 3 may or may not be the last one; the future is uncertain
Whatever it is, I sure hope they had fun! I've seen the cosplay photos and the merchandise, and, whatever it was, it sounded like a great time, so I hope they made the most of it. (I think the cosplay shots I saw were from before RGD, but, still, I don't think I've seen a single Rose Guns Days cosplayer!)

Quote:
*Producing more non-electronic games or taking part in commercial works like Rewrite or doing something completely new might all be paths Ryuukishi takes in the future
Non-electronic games? Like the card games? I've only seen pictures of them, so I don't know how to feel about that. As for commercial works- I'm actually glad that's still an option for him! I've heard sad things about his popularity and such in Japan, and it kind of made it sound like nobody liked him anymore (although Square Enix wouldn't keep publishing a bunch of Rose Guns Days manga if that were the case.... Right?) so I'm glad to hear that's not entirely true. I haven't played Rewrite or Okamikakushi, but I would be interested to see him do more commercial things. (Higanbana was a commercial manga, though, wasn't it? The manga wasn't too stellar, though...)

Quote:
*This December is another one-off work, as it always has been, but everyone thinks it's going to be Aliens When They Cry for no reason whatsoever. It's about three worlds, ONE of which is sci-fi. Ryuukishi also said he hopes to have it out this year the last time he talked about which was a while ago, so there may be a delay.
So this isn't the newest When They Cry? Actually... I'm surprised, but fine with that. I, unlike most people, adored Umineko Chiru, and am fine with the series going out on that note. I had thought for sure that this was a successor, but if it's just another work, that suits me fine! I believe he's shown that he's an incredible writer, regardless of genre, with Rose Guns Days, so I look forward to seeing his Sci-Fi! Also, two more worlds? I wonder what he's cooking... (On another note, while I liked RGD's art, BOY am I glad it's going back to him as the sprite artist.)
Old 2014-10-12, 20:43   Link #720
TW25

I can add some more info, so for 07th Expansion Party:

07th Expansion Party was a 07th product-only doujin event so it was one giant 07th Expansion celebration featuring official material and fan-made material as well as all the cosplay stuff. Copies of RGD Last Season were available for purchase at this latest one, for example. The theme this year was, unsurprisingly, the Ushiromiya Family Conference so that's why there wasn't much cosplay for the other games.

For popularity:

Regarding Ryuukishi's popularity, you're right that there's nothing to worry about there. The people who are talking about that stuff don't know what they're saying. His partnership with Square Enix for Rose Guns Days characters and the manga is a great example of this. I've said it before, but Ryuukishi wants to be doujin. He was never trying to go commercial so popularity isn't even a huge factor for him, although it certainly has helped to open doors and those doors certainly aren't closing anytime soon.

Higanbana does work as another example. Instead of starting off as a VN, it did start off as a manga and was later used for the "break" period between Umineko and RGD.

For the card games:

07th Expansion started making card games, but stopped to produce Higurashi and just recently returned with 2012's "Train Each Other As Trap Maids Game" and 2014's "Ushiromiya Residence Serial Murder Incident". So, we may even see a Rose Guns Days card game one day.

For the untitled 3 worlds work:

It could be a When They Cry work, but it wouldn't be one in the sense that Higurashi or Umineko were because it's going to be a one-off. Because it's about three worlds of different genres I assume it's more like Higanbana except instead of a collection of 7 stories it's a collection of 3, but we don't have those details yet.

For the sake of being on-topic, the world of Rose Guns Days could be a part of this 3 world collection for all we know. Right now it's only confirmed that it was originally planned for this Winter, is a one-off work, and one of the three worlds is sci-fi.

Tags
ryukishi07, spoiler, visual novel