AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-08-01, 11:42   Link #41
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Godzilla still looks like he's having a hell of a tough time. Maybe a given when it looks like you've got molten lava flowing underneath the skin .
Old 2016-08-01, 12:27   Link #42
HasuMasu
*Artist

Shin Gojira is the closest Godzilla to capturing the feel I'm looking for. Legendary's 2014 design is the most polished for sure, but it looks too much like an animal.

Shin Gojira looks like a vengeful God.
Old 2016-08-01, 16:08   Link #43
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Personally i prefer the 1991 Godzilla. Still if that scenery becomes true in real life.
At least one of the Gs is super easy to kill

As for design, I'm tied between 2014 and Millennium. The streamlined design looks like something that could exist while still being classic G
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 16:12   Link #44
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasuMasu View Post
Shin Gojira is the closest Godzilla to capturing the feel I'm looking for. Legendary's 2014 design is the most polished for sure, but it looks too much like an animal.

Shin Gojira looks like a vengeful God.
Well, until that terrifying mutation.
I dunno, it feels more like Anno is trying to do Patlabor WXIII parody using Godzilla.
Old 2016-08-02, 13:23   Link #45
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, until that terrifying mutation.
I dunno, it feels more like Anno is trying to do Patlabor WXIII parody using Godzilla.
I like that. It's twisted. A Godzilla that's actually horrifying is 50 years overdue. Legendary's 2014 design looks like a cuddly teddy bear in comparison.
Old 2016-08-02, 14:47   Link #46
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasuMasu View Post
I like that. It's twisted. A Godzilla that's actually horrifying is 50 years overdue. Legendary's 2014 design looks like a cuddly teddy bear in comparison.
Speaking more for its actions instead of the suit, GMK Godzilla has it out for humanity in the worst way. You can also see him sneering at points. What a jerk
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-08-02, 16:09   Link #47
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
this all feels like they're channeling the original movie's vibe, that whole "what has human progress done" kinda deal...
Yeah, well, history shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men, as they say.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 02:43   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Shin Godzilla's showcase of its atomic breath:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-08-11, 06:02   Link #49
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2016-08-13, 02:19   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Before watching "Godzilla vs. King Kong" on the big screen, you can now watch "Shin Godzilla vs. Shin-chan!"

YouTube
YouTube
Old 2016-08-29, 17:20   Link #51
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

'Godzilla Resurgence' Has Made Over 5 Billion Yen At The Japanese Box Office

Quote:
In the time since Godzilla Resurgence’s release in Japan, the film has managed to make over 5.3 billion yen at the Japanese box office.

That amounts to roughly $51.63 million, which means it has made more in that territory than the 2014 Godzilla movie, which only pulled in $29 million, and is close to beating the box office takings of the last Evangelion movie.

The latter is an important point because Evangelion is a series helmed by Hideaki Anno, who wrote and co-directed this new Godzilla movie. In addition, co-director Shinji Higuchi also worked on both as well.

This aspect will likely mean that its appeal will be culturally landlocked, as Godzilla has always had the undercurrent of how Japan deals with natural disasters.

This new film though is a scathing indictment of how the Japanese administration failed in its duty in the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami and the subsequent Fukushima disaster.

It’s clear this element of the movie has strongly resonated with Japanese viewers and they have flocked to see it in the millions.
Apparently, Anno and Higuchi have left a giant GAINAX/NGE fingerprint all over the movie; they even went as far as directly using Decisive Battle from Eva's OST in it.

Okay, Anno, now that you're done, get back to Studio Khara and the last Eva movie. *hefts spike-studded baseball bat*
Old 2016-08-31, 03:48   Link #52
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Oddly enough they were actually showing this movie at SM, so I decided to see whether it was worth it.

Spoiler for Thoughts:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 12:53   Link #53
Akito Kinomoto

Shin Godzilla doesn't have as much spectacle as Godzilla 2014, but its politically charged dialog speaking to people's ideals as they're constantly tested and degraded make for a much better aging film. The physical and psychological toll it takes on its characters contributes to a genuinely scary Godzilla, an unmatched feat since the original Gojira. Unnerving creature appearance, Earth-shattering sound design, and impeccable music timing on top of this, make for an uncomfortably awesome experience that lets you catch your breath after its taken it away

This film also makes it apparent the best Godzilla films are dialog focused. Godzilla 2014 left me with a bigger high on 1st blush, but it shifts from dialog to action setpieces halfway through to make for an uneven film on subsequent rewatches. Looking back on all the Godzilla films I've seen (I only haven't seen Raids Again and vs Kong), there's a strong relation between focusing on the dialog and the quality of the film. Not to say dialog focus equates to a good Godzilla film, but a good Godzilla film doesn't exist without centralizing the thrust on dialog
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-10-16, 00:20   Link #54
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So saw it today with a good friend during the limited run.

Spoiler for Shin Godzilla:

Overall, I give the movie a solid 8.5/10. My biggest complaint, really, is just how much NGE-style stuff Anno put into the movie.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-21, 02:46   Link #55
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Looks like Toho wanted that sweet Cinematic Universe money and decided to cancel Shin Godzilla 2 and will probably reboot the franchise again for long-term plan this time.

I loved Shin Godzilla, yet I'm perfectly okay with this decision. Making Shin Godzilla a standalone one-and-done movie is better than risking to continue the story only for it to go downhill or fall off a cliff (like what happened to the original Showa Godzilla after the first 1954 movie). All in all, I'm very grateful that I was given a chance to witness Hideaki Anno's take on Godzilla in my lifetime, and now, with Shin story (reportedly) done and possibly won’t be revisited again, hopefully Anno can start working on the final Evangelion Rebuild movie. We've been waiting years for it.