AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 20:35   Link #341
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
That makes sense.

I'm still a bit confused on on cards... like what does the rank mean? Is the agent number just random? And I'm going to have a hard time coming up with 'specializations'

So... if 'divisions' for different favourite characters are going to be put in..
Spoiler for just in case:
Or is that too complicated? Maybe a simple Haruhi brigade/Yuki brigade/Mikuru brigade etc would be better...
I was just making some stuff up, I wanted to reflect that agents might have various levels of experience with the paranormal. Give yourself whatever ranking you feel like.

I wanna keep multiple specializations, because seriously, someone has to figure out why Steve Gutenberg keeps getting work, and the Stone Cutters disbanded, so it probablly wasn't them after all.

edit: Ah! I just had an idea!

Why not make the acronym referential to the original acronym?

S.O.S-dan
Operatives and
Support
|
d
a
n

It appeals to my inner Computer Programmer.
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:50   Link #342
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
I was just making some stuff up, I wanted to reflect that agents might have various levels of experience with the paranormal. Give yourself whatever ranking you feel like.

I wanna keep multiple specializations, because seriously, someone has to figure out why Steve Gutenberg keeps getting work, and the Stone Cutters disbanded, so it probablly wasn't them after all.

edit: Ah! I just had an idea!

Why not make the acronym referential to the original acronym?

S.O.S-dan
Operatives and
Support
|
d
a
n

It appeals to my inner Computer Programmer.
Then its going to take a long time for me to come up with anything About referring to the original acronym... won't that just limit it to the characters who are in the original SOS-dan? What if someone likes Asakura Ryoko or Tsuruya or Taniguchi or Kunikida or Kyon's imouto... So I kinda think using the 1st 'S' to refer to the anime as a whole may be better.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:56   Link #343
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious
Any thoughts on the genre of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"?
Suzumiya Haruhi is a seinen novel/anime, as mentioned on the first post of this thread.
Old 2006-04-11, 21:00   Link #344
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Ah, I'm beginning to see where we're at an impasse!

You're thinking, "Let's get some love for the show and the awesomeness it brings." Which I do agree with, don't get me wrong.

However, what I'm also thinking is, "Let's get some love for the ideas behind the show and the awesomeness that brings."
Old 2006-04-11, 21:14   Link #345
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Ah, I'm beginning to see where we're at an impasse!

You're thinking, "Let's get some love for the show and the awesomeness it brings." Which I do agree with, don't get me wrong.

However, what I'm also thinking is, "Let's get some love for the ideas behind the show and the awesomeness that brings."
I'm not so sure it is an impasse. Like my suggestion-in-spoilers was trying to use the ideas-behind-the-show to help indicate the divisions: Fans who like the 'alien' will have alien specializations, fans who like the 'person-from-the-future' will have future-society related specializations... I do recognize the awesomeness of 'loving the ideas behind the show'. Maybe its just cos I have a natural aversion to acronyms-within-acronyms...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-11, 21:32   Link #346
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
edit: BTW, it's worth noting that the card's aren't set in stone... I mean, seriously, a computer that used stone as a storage medium? That would suck, the throughput on that sort of media would be glacierlike.
On the other hand, support would be rock-solid.

I actually agree that one of the appeals of this show to me is the idea that the "fantastical" could possibly be real, and that it would be great if that were true. Not because it would be useful to anyone (although it may be the case), but simply because, like Haruhi, I believe that such a thing would be more interesting.

Never mind logic, never mind causality, never mind consequences. Deep down, being able to live in a world with combat maids from the future and space alien witches and high school students with ESP just seems fun.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 21:51   Link #347
mangafanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I have to agree there. This is easily my favorite anime so far this year. The only thing I can think of being wrong with it is the first episode might turn people off, which has been mentioned before. I've already recommended it to a few friends.

Yeah, I'm basically going to have to attach a disclaimer to my recommendations on this show: If you judge this show based on the first 18 or-so minutes of the first episode, then you shouldn't expect to like it. I wonder if the first episode wasn't more like a. . . prologue. Maybe it should be episode 0 or something. That would make sense if you consider that the show is 14 episodes, and the number 14 simply isn't a typical season length. Maybe it's more like 13 episodes plus the opener/prologue.

And, uh, anybody know where I can get a good Haruhi avatar that doesn't move. I considered using one of the gifs on a previous page but I started getting motion sick. XD
mangafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 22:15   Link #348
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
Yeah, I'm basically going to have to attach a disclaimer to my recommendations on this show: If you judge this show based on the first 18 or-so minutes of the first episode, then you shouldn't expect to like it. I wonder if the first episode wasn't more like a. . . prologue. Maybe it should be episode 0 or something. That would make sense if you consider that the show is 14 episodes, and the number 14 simply isn't a typical season length. Maybe it's more like 13 episodes plus the opener/prologue.
Kyoto Animation is way ahead of you.
The first released episode is called episode 00.

In fact, episode 0 is getting its own separate DVD release in Japan.

That's why in the previews so far, there is an argument on what the next episode should be numbered, between Kyon and Haruhi.
Old 2006-04-11, 23:42   Link #349
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Ok ok, I give, I yield.

Haruhiism is now my new religion.

Last edited by Flo; 2006-04-12 at 01:14.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:56   Link #350
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

LoL, daemoness, your avatar inspired me to make my own Mikuru Beam avatar.
If you want to use mine go ahead.

Spoiler for Also available in rapid fire mode:

Riker presents:
"The reenactment of the last scene in episode 2 using avatars"
Spoiler:

And also, Yuki from the ending.

Feel free to use them.
If you prefer square borders of the episode 2 gifs, let me know. I also have them.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:42   Link #351
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

lol very nice re-enactment Riker, I can almost hear the sound of a tortured muppet comming from Mikuru being groped

I know some of you have already gone into detail already and I'll admit it's still pretty early in the series, but what is your number one reason for enjoying this show?

For me, even if the show somehow (god forbid) started to lose the incredible animation and plot, I'd still watch it if they keep Haruhi exactly the way she is. It's kind of refreshing to have an aggressive and random female lead without her turning into a pool of goo at the sight of a guy.
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:51   Link #352
bluemist
i am the mist

Personally I would have preferred Haruhi pre-Kyon, she seemed so sophisticated and a BIG snob. Plus she reminded me of the 'angst' of Kiminozo's Suzumiya Akane (related? lol)

Post-Kyon, she seemed to become a chou-genki/aggressive weirdo.

Either way, still better than a cliched tsundere girl.
Old 2006-04-12, 00:59   Link #353
Tiberium Wolf

I find it annoying that a.f.k. used Haruhi Suzumiya instead of Suzumiya Haruhi. If fact they used this order in all the names.
Old 2006-04-12, 01:04   Link #354
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My number one reason is the combo act of stoic dry-witted Kyon and the energetic chaos of Suzumiya. Even if they become an item down the road, that complementary energy needs to be maintained.

Su-chan wants the world to be more interesting? Her *existence* makes the world more interesting. I find her entrancing.

Secondarily is the art, the animation, and more of the animation.
Old 2006-04-12, 01:13   Link #355
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Personally I would have preferred Haruhi pre-Kyon, she seemed so sophisticated and a BIG snob. Plus she reminded me of the 'angst' of Kiminozo's Suzumiya Akane (related? lol)

Post-Kyon, she seemed to become a chou-genki/aggressive weirdo.

Either way, still better than a cliched tsundere girl.
She's still an aggressive weirdo. It still seems like its up in the air as to why Haruhi dragged Kyon along anyway, if the creators are smart, we'll never know.

I love this show because it's making me think about the unknown in a way I haven't since the X-Files was on (and before it turned into a pile of suck).
Old 2006-04-12, 01:15   Link #356
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I find it annoying that a.f.k. used Haruhi Suzumiya instead of Suzumiya Haruhi. If fact they used this order in all the names.
I know! It's so bad when groups properly reverse names for their English audience and substitue 'moe' with 'turn-ons'. On a side note, I hope that if they ever run into a sign they can't fit English in they won't replace it and let us know what it says.

I watch this mainly because it's hilarious and it's something different. I'd think of it as Smash Hit/Cosprayers done right. The animation's very fluid as well, reminds me of the cel animation days.
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:22   Link #357
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I find it annoying that a.f.k. used Haruhi Suzumiya instead of Suzumiya Haruhi. In fact they used this order in all the names.
Agreed. But I did notice that the video in episode 1 was called "A Haruhi Suzumiya's Film" even in the raw itself.

Japanese names in English order just sound funny to me. They don't flow properly. But Japanese themselves often reverse the order when putting romanizations on their websites, so I don't really know what's best. Personally, I just stick with Japanese order in everything I do, for consistency.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:27   Link #358
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
She's still an aggressive weirdo. It still seems like its up in the air as to why Haruhi dragged Kyon along anyway, if the creators are smart, we'll never know.
From what I've managed to read of the 1st novel there are hints of a reason. *shuts up* Anyway, I've already said this countless times but the main attraction for me is Haruhi herself. Precisely the chou-genki/complete disregard for anything that didn't suit her mentality. I was hooked the moment she appeared in the last few minutes of Episode 0/Episode 1. Then comes Kyon's hilarious voiceovers (more precisely the amazing Haruhi-Kyon boke-tsukkomi duo), Yuki's silent-girl impression (I was a staunch Rei-type guy a few years ago), the brilliant animation....

On another note... okay I've kind of resolved my acronym within an acronym aversion but I wonder if

S.O.S. dan
Operational (instead of Operatives)
Support

would sound better. It sounds more like a 'dan' that proactively supports the SOS-dan's operations that way...

Old 2006-04-12, 01:35   Link #359
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I also get confused when familyname/personalname gets "romanized" ... it just sounds wrong. But... as long as they're consistent within the show and use the names the VAs use (Kyon-kun, Mikuru-chan, etc) I'm fine.

Perhaps we're just displaying our personal likes... to me she's not an "aggressive wierdo" but an entertaining energetic girl who just wants the world to be interesting. She throws herself into things with gusto ... main flaw appears to be not catching on to other people's feelings (or maybe she catches on to their deeper unacknowledged feelings).

Kyon did something no one else had done. She didn't feel like he was judging her or her values ... he just listened. Thats what got her latched onto him, in my opinion.

I'd consider switching my avatar to her if she wasn't already "the avatar of the year" here and over in another forum I loiter about in.
Old 2006-04-12, 01:36   Link #360
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

The new acronym makes a lot of sense and serves both purpouses, hmm.... think I'll work into the ID card.

Like massaging a tender brisket with the proper blend of herbs and marinades....

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen