AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-06-10, 17:27   Link #1921
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
I'll bet it was the Japanese Kitchen. Keiko-san and Jeff-san have run that place forever, it seems like. My favourite place in town for sushi. If you're ever in Albuquerque again, let me know and we'll go for sushi there. ^_^

However, even with a largish Asian supermarket in town (Ta Lin), I can't find choco coronets anywhere, darnit. Nor melon pan. Lots of pocky, though...

One of the things with me and anime is how it manages to have this terrible power of suggestion over me. Are the characters eating hot pot? Of course, I'm suddenly ravenous for hot pot. Nikujaga? Wonder if I have any beef thawed out... Konpira? Of course. And if it's sushi? I'm doomed...
I suddenly want to make you watch episode 3 of Kanon where Makoto has to eat that konjac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
[*weeps*] Remember to always get the greener meronpan, not the one colored like regular bread. They also sell those huge boxes of Pocky I can't finish.. And go during the Cherry Blossom Festival to score loads of discounts and be able to play the Hello Kitty game. Be sure to ask for a points card from Kinokuniya Stationary. Tanpopo has the best ramen. In one of the stationary shops outside, the owners will periodically bring out "Kuma" (bear), their overly-friendly, would-never-attack-anything doggie. ;_;

Just a heads up... LAS VEGAS HAS NOTHING! *angst*
You live in Las Vegas? O_o

*weeps too* All there is at my place is Pocky. Just Pocky. And Chinese ramen. I really want those fabled warm canned coffee.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 17:59   Link #1922
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
The past couple years, seven months out of the year were spent in SF. Oh man, I love it there. LV is not really a great place to live IMO (the view on education in particular bugs me the most... count the number of universities Nevada has. Higher education just isn't as highly sought after - the money-makers lie within the gaming and tourism industry, therefore there are at least a hundred dealing (card dealing, not *car* dealing) schools. Many kids go straight from high school to one of these schools, and many people who graduate with a bachelor's end up in one of those schools anyways)... Oops, started off-topic ranting... Anyways, one thing I do adore about being in LV is... all the Korean food I can eat, hurrah!

(I may score a trip back to SF this summer though... SF is a great place, yo. Go eat at Asqew at least once.)

Everytime I see Kona eating a choco coronet, I suddenly get a craving for one, too... I credit anime for making me want to try every Japanese food under the rising sun, and I've tried - and liked - a whole lot of dishes so far... Some things, like mochi, are also found in Korea, so I've already had lots of little Japanese snacks and things previously without even knowing they were Japanese.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 18:50   Link #1923
ZephyrMoon

there used to be a really good mochi store in japan town (in San Fransisco)
but the owner closed shop cuz she was getting too old and no one wanted to make them anymore T___T
ZephyrMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 23:30   Link #1924
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Now here's an interesting virus for your computer to catch.

And no, I didn't link to the virus. It's Symantec's info page about the virus.
Panzer Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 00:38   Link #1925
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Bandit View Post
And no, I didn't link to the virus.
lol! I was about to say... Anyways, I can't help but to snicker at that. Love for Kagami certainly is *infectious*.

[*dodges thrown fruit* j/k, j/k!]
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 00:55   Link #1926
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Reminds me of the Kanon virus...
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 01:49   Link #1927
Coolrush

Send a message via AIM to Coolrush
so will any of the other girls make it in the show or will it just focus on Kona, Kaga, Yuki and Tsukasa. Have they given a time table on when they will appear? Its almost like the new director doesnt want them in LS.
Coolrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 02:33   Link #1928
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
lol! I was about to say... Anyways, I can't help but to snicker at that. Love for Kagami certainly is *infectious*.

[*dodges thrown fruit* j/k, j/k!]
*groan*

Still made me laugh, though. Must be the late hours I'm putting in studying for my finals...

Ah, and have you visited Nippon-Ya and Sophie's Crepes in Japantown in SF? I used to go there about twice a month just to buy the confectioneries. Ahh, I miss the Bay Area so...
Panzer Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 03:06   Link #1929
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrush View Post
so will any of the other girls make it in the show or will it just focus on Kona, Kaga, Yuki and Tsukasa. Have they given a time table on when they will appear? Its almost like the new director doesnt want them in LS.
No, there's been no "timetable" O.o

Its pretty much following the manga (though it jumps around a bit). The other girls start showing up in volume 2. I'm speculating that Miyuki's "zone out" in ep 10 is her last big hurrah and she'll drop back a bit on stage as Minami and a couple of others show up for the next 5 or 6 episodes.

Keep in mind this is *only* ep 10 at the moment. My main concern is that I can look at the time budget for the remaining 14+ episodes --- and I start hating on Lucky*Channel (which is a riff on the little bits of Akira-omake in the manga as realized in the L*C radio show). That's unfortunate because its rather funny in its own way but I look at the funny material in the manga and shake my head about lost opportunities to adapt them all to the anime.

Also keep in mind that KyoAni usually storyboards an entire series beforehand. The "new" director has to work with what is storyboarded... he can shift the emphasis but unless the ratings are crashing they're not going to rework the storyboard. Unfortunately, that emphasis can mean that we see more "product placement" or obvious gags about other corporate products if the people entertained by that sort of stuff create hyperbuzz. I'd hate to see that because it dilutes what, to me, is the core of the show -- the "daily life" as portrayed by a group of very quirky people.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-14 at 16:19.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 15:10   Link #1930
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Keep in mind this is *only* ep 10 at the moment. My main concern is that I can look at the time budget for the remaining 14+ episodes --- and I start hating on Lucky*Channel (which is a riff on the little bits of Akira-omake in the manga as realized in the L*C radio show). That's unfortunate because its rather funny in its own way but I look at the funny material in the manga and shake my head about lost opportunities to adapt them all to the anime.
I've long disliked the Lucky Channel thing. I mean, it's utterly boring, repetitive and slapstick. I think it's only because I'm a seasoned viewer ingrained in my culture that this is so - I've seen ALOT of slapstick in my life and this degree and execution is just unfunny compared to the more whimsical main cast.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that emphasis can mean that we see more "product placement" or obvious gags about other corporate products if the people entertained by that sort of stuff create hyperbuzz. I'd hate to see that because it dilutes what, to me, is the core of the show -- the "daily life" as portrayed by a group of very quirky people.
Oh wow, so this is what some children were whining about in episode 10. I think they are being far too hasty - I mean, consider the episode as a trip to KONATA'S HOUSE. It's obvious that they would have to place anime items and merchandize as part of the focus of this trip, and being that, what should KyoAni have done? Created imaginary series? Place products of other companies?

... I'm sure most you get it now.

Now; if they continue product-placement for two or three more episodes, then calling them out for it is justified. Otherwise, I just cannot fathom why this sort of posts here... although I guess I'm used to it by one certain poster.

Anyway, Kagami and Tsukasa's voice actress are top notch. But Hirano for Konata is still unbelievable.. say whatever you like about Kagami being brought to life; the subtle squees and wiggles that Hirano puts to Konata (conveying a SUPERB :3 feel) is amazing.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 16:18   Link #1931
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

VAs score the best with me if I ... FORGET there's someone behind a mike somewhere and just see the character living, breathing, talking.

Its kind of nice to hear the L*C comment.... over on some other forums, you'd think L*C is some kind of hip, completely novel item instead of what is an old fourth-wall sort of bit with hyperbole and slapstick. I do think it has funny elements (watching him slowly level up to take on Akira-boss), but readers of the manga will find it less enthralling since it does directly impact time budget.
Old 2007-06-14, 23:29   Link #1932
4Tran

There's a few things that I'd like to note about the series so far:

1. It's a decent show, but it isn't all that funny. I'm not sure if it's the over-reliance on parodies and cutesy moments to carry the comedy, or what, but I've recently watched tons of shows that have been funnier. In terms of humor, I'd equate it to about School Rumble Second Term - not nearly as funny as it should be.
2. While Konata drives the show, Kagami is a much funnier character.
3. The parody gags aren't as amusing as the lifestyle ones.
4. Shiraiishi is much more interesting than Akira is. Once she's done her schtick, there's not much else to her.

On a slightly different note, I found the Maria-sama ga Miteru gag to be far less funny than it could be. I recently saw the episode of SuperGALS with the Oniisama E and Ace o Nerae parodies, and it was much funnier. Part of the reason is that where Lucky Star relied almost purely on the parody correlation to produce humor, the SuperGALS was funny first, and a parody second. What's even more amusing is that Maria-sama ga Miteru, when it's humorous, is funnier than Lucky Star is.

By the way, Vexx's remarks are right on the money.
Old 2007-06-14, 23:34   Link #1933
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm speculating that Miyuki's "zone out" in ep 10 is her last big hurrah and she'll drop back a bit on stage as Minami and a couple of others show up for the next 5 or 6 episodes.

Oh poor Miyuki
Author hates his daughter, but
I'll always love her

Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 20:30   Link #1934
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. There are now so many different threads on 2channel concerning LS -- around 150 -- that someone has set up a special page to link to them as they change. And that is different current topics. The main topic is up to 139 threads itself now (139,000 posts), and is reaching a higher and higher percentage of the number of threads for the leader, StrikerS. I have never seen one show with so many different topics about it on 2channel.

2. Sense of humor is variable. And anyway, this is not a "gag" show. This show is funny in your bones, not laugh-out-loud funny. I guess I'll have to look at School Rumble, which I really found quite unfunny for two eps. As I say too often, Ichigo Mashimaro is my comedy gold standard for anime.

3. I differ with Vexx about VAs. I like them when they are most identifiable, as well as when I forget about them. The "forget there's a person there" thing does little for me, and happens almost never, anyway. Doesn't happen in film, either. I mean, there really is a person there, after all, and it's enjoyable for me to observe their artistry. I actually object when people talk about characters as if they were real people, and ignore the extreme contribution of the VAs (which I know Vexx isn't doing).

4. LC is the least of this show for me, too, but I liked the last one. And I can accept it for the sake of the rest of the show. It is clearly a way of saving money and tieing in with the radio show for cross-marketing. Without the business part of things, we wouldn't get this great show at all, so I can accept it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 21:10   Link #1935
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. There are now so many different threads on 2channel concerning LS -- around 150 -- that someone has set up a special page to link to them as they change. And that is different current topics. The main topic is up to 139 threads itself now (139,000 posts), and is reaching a higher and higher percentage of the number of threads for the leader, StrikerS. I have never seen one show with so many different topics about it on 2channel.

2. Sense of humor is variable. And anyway, this is not a "gag" show. This show is funny in your bones, not laugh-out-loud funny. I guess I'll have to look at School Rumble, which I really found quite unfunny for two eps. As I say too often, Ichigo Mashimaro is my comedy gold standard for anime.

3. I differ with Vexx about VAs. I like them when they are most identifiable, as well as when I forget about them. The "forget there's a person there" thing does little for me, and happens almost never, anyway. Doesn't happen in film, either. I mean, there really is a person there, after all, and it's enjoyable for me to observe their artistry. I actually object when people talk about characters as if they were real people, and ignore the extreme contribution of the VAs (which I know Vexx isn't doing).

4. LC is the least of this show for me, too, but I liked the last one. And I can accept it for the sake of the rest of the show. It is clearly a way of saving money and tieing in with the radio show for cross-marketing. Without the business part of things, we wouldn't get this great show at all, so I can accept it.
My Thoughts:

Point #1: This is why I don't really like 2channel, everything is so rapid it's impossible to even follow it really. Sometimes I have to wonder how much is spam and how much is outright confusion.

Point #2: I really like this point a lot. That's just it, Lucky Star is a quiet type of funny, if one is lauging out loud to it, I think there may be a problem as that doesn't strike me as it's intention in any way.

Point #3: A little bit of both for me in this case. I will notice for example that Tom Hanks is Forrest Gump, but I will also acknowledge the character of Forrest Gump at the same time.

Point #4: Yes and no. There's a limit and it may be approaching it. Things will hopefully start to scale back in terms of the cross-marketing soon enough.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-17 at 02:32.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 17:00   Link #1936
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I don't know where else to post this, so here it is.

Anyone here from Europe used a Timotei shampoo? I'm going to try to get myself a Kiwi flavored, I mean, scented Timotei Shampoo. I'm gonna check if online UK sites like Tesco ships to the US.

EDIT: The good news is that Westons does have Timotei and ships to the US, the bad news is that while the shampoos are pretty cheap the shipping is a whopping $89. Gotta keep looking... maybe ask a co-worker to bring a bottle back from London.

Interesting Timotei Ad:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-06-17 at 17:20.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 17:04   Link #1937
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I don't know where else to post this, so here it is.

Anyone here from Europe used a Timotei shampoo? I'm going to try to get myself a Kiwi flavored, I mean, scented Timotei Shampoo. I'm gonna check if online UK sites like Tesco ships to the US.
You can get it off ebay. Someone was selling half used bottles, which sounds a bit weird me to me.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 17:35   Link #1938
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
You can get it off ebay. Someone was selling half used bottles, which sounds a bit weird me to me.
Yeah it is... I just e-mailed the Unilever Timotei site and ask for purchase info. Probably not going to get it. I'm going to try to get them from Asia though.

I posted the Original Timotei CMs which were source of Kotana's impressions in the Music Video thread. Go check it out if you want to know why she said Timotei 3 times.
Old 2007-06-18, 00:06   Link #1939
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Probably sold though.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 14:09   Link #1940
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Baseball Glory

I thought the name of the Kona-chan's High School sounded familar... and then I thought about the OP... they're in cheerleader outfits. Only school in Japan with female cheerleaders are schools with GOOD baseball teams. As it turns out that the Kasukabe Kyoei High School is a Saitama regional baseball powerhouse. Quite a few pro-baseball players calls this school alma mater. This is quite interesting.

Unlike many other otaku, I happen to be a HUGE fan of Japense HS Baseball, the best baseball in the world, in my opinion, to root for as a fan. Last year's Koshien Final is probably the most exiting baseball I've ever watched in my life. I don't follow pro baseball as much, aside from the Hanshin Tigers (any self-respecting Haruhi fan had BETTER be a Hanshin Tigers fan!)

As it turns out, today is the selection day for the 89th Summer Koshien High School Baseball turnament in Japan, and our very own Katsukabe Kyoei is picked as a Saitama favorite. They lost in the Saitama regional semis last year. Only 1 team per prefecture gets to goto the Summer Koshien Turnament (held at the Koshien Stadium at Haruhi's Home Town, in case you don't know), and there are no bigger sports in Japan. Every HS's dream is glory in the Summer Koshien, and there's a good chance we'll get to witness Kotana's HS in the big dance this year.

I'll be following the team and see how they do; I usually follow Kansai Teams like Osaka Toin HS or Wakayama Chiben HS, but this year I'll follow the Saitama regional as well. It seemed that Kyoei has a bunch of good pitchers this year and team captain Saito is known for his long-ball hitting. Can't wait for it to start! I'll post updates here as I get them.

Here's the official Asahi.com Summer Koshien page for the Saitama Regional:

http://www2.asahi.com/koshien/89/saitama/index.html

Man I hope to get a photo of their female cheer leaders! I'll bet it's exactly like the OP.

Don't worry Kona-chan. High School baseball games are always played during the day and they have to end in 9 innings (tie is possible). You won't get your late night anime delayed due to Koshien.

Kyoei HS Team:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-06-18 at 19:30.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen