AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-04, 14:12   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Great first episode. Like how the first episode jumps straight into the manga material that follows on where the first series ended. Will take a few eps to get used to the new voice cast, but so far I have nothing bad to say.

So pleased Kaoru Wada has returned to work on the score. There were a couple of pieces in this first episode that were in the past series, which I don't mind happening at all. The new pieces were great also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Did the original anime censore all the blood?
It's been so long that I can't remember, haha. Pretty sure the original series wasn't this graphic with the amount of blood it shows.
Old 2016-07-04, 14:42   Link #22
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Pacing is juuust okay. If it were faster, it would feel very rushed, but so far it is okay. They ended the episode on the place which I dreaded being halfway through the episode, so I am content.

Animation is also okay. Let's be frank - its clear they are running on VERY limited budget and there's a lot of budget saving shots involved. If there was a problem it would be that the show is WAY TOO SATURATED.

VAs are perfect fit so far. It took some time to get used to Lenalee but it still fits the character.

OP is absolute mess completely unfit for the show - way too happy, way too many still scenes, not enough of Allen angst.
ED is perfect for the show and what the show will cover.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 14:43   Link #23
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Excelent episode.
Being Allen is suffering.

Regarding the blood, it wasn't that important because the pain was still there. Tikky himself didn't want to dirt himself with blood.
I only miss General Zocalo's voice actor, it was Wakamoto.

Opening:

Ending:
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 14:49   Link #24
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Animation is also okay. Let's be frank - its clear they are running on VERY limited budget and there's a lot of budget saving shots involved. If there was a problem it would be that the show is WAY TOO SATURATED.
*Cough, cough*

Spoiler for minimangaspoiler:

Even the mangaka Hoshino-sensei was too tired to write the chapters of it especially with her health so I hope the anime does justice to it.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 14:51   Link #25
Elestia

Damn, has it already been 8 years? I feel so old right now. Feels a bit lonely now that they've re-casted all the characters, feels like the B-team choice after hearing them. It's not bad, but I'll probably get used to them soon enough. Pacing was kind of awkward near the end, but glad they are continuing the series.
Old 2016-07-04, 14:55   Link #26
Seihai
スマイリウム

I remember I liked this but that's all I remember so I might wanna rewatch the first series. lol
Old 2016-07-04, 15:22   Link #27
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I'm surprised with Murase's work. He can either make Allen more femenine or masculine depending on the situation. Also the blood. Did the original anime censore all the blood?
Not all of it, but it was very "generic". This episode seemed quite gory in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
It's going to take me some time to get used to the new cast...
I'm actually completely okay with all of them EXCEPT Lavi. He was my favorite in the original and now he feels like just a shallow husk of his former self. Before he felt like a jovial/snarky Osa-ben, now he just feels like a normal guy who likes to laugh.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 15:28   Link #28
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad first episode. Getting back into the swing of things.

Though wow the entire re-cast is going to be rough to adapt to. I'm ok with that kind of thing when it's necessary (the original actor is too old to do the voice or retired, etc.) but consistency when possible is nice. They are ok choices. They just don't sound right. Hopefully by the end of the show will be used to it. Right now, no one sounds better or equal. Lenalee has less spark, Lavi sounds so generic that I can't tell when he's talking unless the visual focuses on him, and just even Allen doesn't have the same energy. I'm sure it will be fine, but probably will end up still preferring the original group.

If nothing else can distinguish the show by the amount of blood. There was some in the original, but don't think it was necessarily red.

Spoiler for Ep1:
Old 2016-07-04, 15:31   Link #29
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Ahhh. Seeing a new D.Gray-Man anime episode after so many years was sooooooo refreshing.
Old 2016-07-04, 15:48   Link #30
Twi

And so it begins.
Old 2016-07-04, 16:03   Link #31
AB079
Banned

Yeah it was great watching the first episode but... what the actual fuck just happened to Lenalee and Miranda, their designs are awful to be honest. Aside from that and the animation being not the best, I think it was good.

Glad to see Cross again, a badass as always and his interactions with Allen are pure gold. The pacing was ok I guess, not too fast and not too slow.

Forgot the best part of the episode was obviously this:
Spoiler for Lenalee:
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 16:52   Link #32
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have not seen the original series, but I thought this first ep was pretty decent as an introductory one for people like myself who are being introduced to the franchise for the first time.

That being said, not much about it really caught me. Maybe I will give the next ep a try just to see, but this does not look like my cup of tea at the moment.
Old 2016-07-04, 17:09   Link #33
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Artwork from the Anime Expo
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 17:12   Link #34
RDNexus

Well, Flower, considering this series is a straight-up continuation from where the first series stopped, you may be feeling a bit lost, I guess.
I'd recommend you to check the first series, it's a nice experience
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 17:45   Link #35
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Loved the Opening sequence where we were shown past moments reanimated as well as the next time segment using the original score.

All those lenalee and Allen moments though, it was sort of like that in the original manga though. I do remember Lenalee commenting on Allens changed voice even in the original manga, did Hoshino have that much foresight? or did she just want allens voice to mature?

Edit: also noticed they didn't mention that Mana's dog was killed by a co-worker at the circus, and Miranda instead gave allen the candy to calm Kanda and Allen down rather than comfort Allen after the debriefing

Last edited by SibylEnd; 2016-07-04 at 19:16.
SibylEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 17:52   Link #36
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Well, Flower, considering this series is a straight-up continuation from where the first series stopped, you may be feeling a bit lost, I guess.
I'd recommend you to check the first series, it's a nice experience
Just a heads up that the anime has about 20 episodes of fillerish content after 10ish until almost 40ish. Manga will spare you of the fillers though the anime is actually quite well-made and faithful outside of the fillers in my opinion.

But yeah, this is one of the better mainstream shounen series and starting from 2nd season just robs you of the experience and knowledge of the characters, their motivations and relationships, and quite possibly leading one to miss out on its potential.

Though after Hoshino got really sick to the point of unable to keep it running as a weekly series in WSJ, the quality did take a dip after moving to SQ even after a long hiatus. Have not really caught up with the serialization for quite a long time so not sure how it is now.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 17:52   Link #37
foxbox360
New Age Badass

I wonder how long we to wait for the next season after this.
Old 2016-07-04, 18:13   Link #38
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
I wonder how long we to wait for the next season after this.
It would probably depend on this seasons performance as well as the state of the manga, if it gets another several year long hiatus; I doubt the animation would give it another chance. the manga is currently releasing a new chapter every 3 months, so we're getting somewhere.

I'm looking at the casual reception here, a lot of people don't dig the art style change and think it's too colourful for D.Gray-man, which is kinda BS since the original anime made weird changes to the aesthetic of the series.
SibylEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 18:22   Link #39
Traece
:cool:

The new Miranda makes me sad both in terms of her design, and her voice actor. Not as sad as the new Timcampy makes me though. What did they do to you, Tim?

Beyond adjusting to the changes, it's a new season of DGM. Not much to say at this point. I'm sure many of us were ready to be disappointed, but it seems we've been given something fairly on par with what we had before.
Old 2016-07-04, 19:15   Link #40
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

@SibylEnd
Manga is more colorful.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote