Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-16, 22:55   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It takes about half an hour to get to the outskirts of New York City, which is pretty much surrounded by forests. Hell, most of the country is pretty much untouched by civilization. It's not like a tree is something that's hard to find.
Yes, but the United States isn't like New York City (though many New Yorkers seem to hold that misconception). And we're talking about *forests* not "a tree".
Los Angeles is surrounded by a scrub desert that is essentially treeless. Las Vegas is surrounded by a hard desert. Many parts of Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona are essentially treeless other than what individuals have planted and in alpine areas. Whatever... it isn't deeply pertinent to the thread.
Old 2008-09-17, 16:08   Link #42
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geograp..._United_States

I guess that'll help.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 16:20   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Why yes it did....

The large brown areas covering over half the US in the map (Great Plains, plateau regions) would be mostly uncluttered with large forests though they often have scrub or areas of fir in the occasional alpine region. The Physiographic section of the wiki explains this in much more detail than I need to.
Old 2008-09-17, 16:40   Link #44
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
I recommend Compton
Yeah... That's where the Realest Gs (South Side) reside

Btw I used to live in Los Angeles (West Side), and Compton is not that far away.

Last edited by mg1942; 2008-09-17 at 17:02.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 01:22   Link #45
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Well, for all you adventurous types: I vote my home, Alaska. I know it's getting a lot of stupid flack with the elections and all, but it honestly is a great place to live. I don't really like the publicity we're getting with Palin because it seems to me the type of people who decide to move up here are really unique, and I don't want to attract people here for the wrong reasons (plus I just like having zero traffic ).
You have to be willing to handle the harsh climates, both cold and hot extremes, as well as find joy in the small-town feel. People here are more down-to-earth and are damn practical about things. Our universities up here are ideal for students looking for hands-on arctic research, as well as anyone interested in the oil industry (ie petroleum engineering). If you're into photography, opportunities abound with our breathtaking nature and still very present wildlife.
Even if you don't want to live in Alaska, at least visit once... or maybe twice! Once during the summer and once during the winter. It's also best to visit several cities as our regions vary greatly from each other (Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Barrow, Nome, Kenai, Kodiak). Where I live, it can get as hot as 90 degrees in the summer to as cold as -60 degrees in the winter.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 01:44   Link #46
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Strange that this thread is focused on the united states only.. which would probably come at the end for me anyway.

But regardless of the place you go to, I think its much more about what you do in the place you are then where you go that matters most.
Old 2008-09-18, 08:29   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR View Post
Strange that this thread is focused on the united states only.. which would probably come at the end for me anyway.

But regardless of the place you go to, I think its much more about what you do in the place you are then where you go that matters most.
Well, it is titled "in the US" .... at least that narrows the scope. My avatar location says where i'd rather be...
Far too often my fellow citizens in the US post oblivious to the notion that there are other countries or rules or social customs outside of their neighborhood.

If you want to start a Canadian thread - my vote is for Vancouver or Victoria (though I have a friend who swears by Montreal).
Old 2008-09-18, 14:31   Link #48
Amray

Alaska. Best place there.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote