AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-05-01, 04:20   Link #1
Haiprbim
Banned

Last Known As

Hello.

I'll try to keep this suggestion short and sweet, so you'll be able to get back to watching your favorite anime series.

What I'd like to suggest are two small notifications - Last Knows As.
They would be seen when a thread's title, as well as a member's name would be changed.

So basically, when a thread's or member's name would be changed, there would be a small icon next to it and when going on it with your mouse, the previous name would be shown/displayed.

For the threads, this icon could be on the far right side of that thread's box when surfing a specific forum section.
For members, this icon could be accessible through that members Profile page.

Personally, I think this would be more useful for members than threads and it was the main reason for me to create this suggestion, but since besides the member's name only the thread's name can be changed as well, why not include that there too?
And yes, I've seen quite a few cases of members forgetting their previous name and others wanting to know it at that time, one of them being myself (Not proud of it ).

Now, as for the execution of this update itself, I do not think it would be hard to be performed. There are some plugins out there already, I think I could even dig them up if you would want.

Notice: This would, of course, be something optional. Every member could pick whether he/she wants their previous name displayed or not.

So, that would be it.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-05-02 at 09:48.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 04:35   Link #2
HasuMasu
*Artist

I think maybe mods have to change too many codes, they are volunteer after all...

Personally no issue if this is implemented, but really doubt mod time/effort change code.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 04:38   Link #3
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
I think maybe mods have to change too many codes, they are volunteer after all...

Personally no issue if this is implemented, but really doubt mod time/effort change code.
I'm sorry, I do not quite understand what you're trying to say.
The plugin would set it all to automatic display, Mods wouldn't edit the "Last Known As" manually, if that is what you meant. Of course they wouldn't, it would work them to death if they would have to.
Old 2013-05-01, 22:23   Link #4
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I remember when I changed my user name, NoSanninWa was kind enough to change my title to former known as xxxx and add the words in my sig too.
If you really want people to know who you were before, you could always do that.
Old 2013-05-02, 02:44   Link #5
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I remember when I changed my user name, NoSanninWa was kind enough to change my title to former known as xxxx and add the words in my sig too.
If you really want people to know who you were before, you could always do that.
It does seem like a nice trick, but Last Known As would focus purely on displaying the previous name/title, on which Signature and User Title don't.
Again, I do not think this would be hard to perform, the only thing that bothers me are the words from relentlessflame, that only the most necessary plugins will currently be added.
However, I would want you to note that these are community-focused forums and on those, nothing should be carved into stone forever.
Old 2013-05-02, 03:16   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Again, I do not think this would be hard to perform, the only thing that bothers me are the words from relentlessflame, that only the most necessary plugins will currently be added.
However, I would want you to note that these are community-focused forums and on those, nothing should be carved into stone forever.
Yes, but, even if you set aside the plugin issue (which has indeed been a consideration), that doesn't mean that this sort of feature is what everyone wants. Truthfully, not everyone who changes their name wants it to be obviously tied back to their previous name. For some people, a new identity is sort of like a new start, and being reminded of their old name (or having others reminded of their own name) isn't what they want. So I prefer the solution proposed by Terrestrial Dream where people who want to do this just place the notice in their title, signature, and/or profile.

Perhaps you could argue philosophically that people shouldn't be able to run away from their old nicknames and that it's in people's best interest to always know the connection, but we haven't done that so far, and there's no history stored in vBulletin that remembers past nicknames by default. So this would have to be a new policy going forward, and there'd have to be some sort of agreement that this is what is best as a matter of principle. Just adding the plugin because we can't isn't really the core issue.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, rather than start with the solution, let's try to identify and agree on the problem, and see if everyone can live with the proposed result. Then, if there's agreement, we can see how to best implement it, which may or may not involve a modification. (Currently name changes are processed manually anyway, so it wouldn't take much additional time for the Admin to copy/paste the old name to some location if that were an agreed policy.)

(I would also note, incidentally, that name changes don't happen all that often, and I don't know that they're necessarily frequent enough for this sort of issue to be a big deal... but that's obviously my opinion.)
Old 2013-05-02, 03:22   Link #7
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yes, but, even if you set aside the plugin issue (which has indeed been a consideration), that doesn't mean that this sort of feature is what everyone wants. Truthfully, not everyone who changes their name wants it to be obviously tied back to their previous name. For some people, a new identity is sort of like a new start, and being reminded of their old name (or having others reminded of their own name) isn't what they want. So I prefer the solution proposed by Terrestrial Dream where people who want to do this just place the notice in their title, signature, and/or profile.
Well, it could be optional whether it would show or not.
Also, saying that it could be optional, I still find it a better call to do it this way, due to user titles, signatures and profiles being just a quick way out where you can put something in to remember, but it isn't meant for that in the first place.

Quote:
Perhaps you could argue philosophically that people shouldn't be able to run away from their old nicknames and that it's in people's best interest to always know the connection, but we haven't done that so far, and there's no history stored in vBulletin that remembers past nicknames by default. So this would have to be a new policy going forward, and there'd have to be some sort of agreement that this is what is best as a matter of principle. Just adding the plugin because we can't isn't really the core issue.
That is the issue too, the current vBulletin has a lot of drawbacks, but that could be discussed in a thread of it's own.
Also, I don't think that changing the name would allow you to run from something, but if it makes other members feel more "safe" for some reason, it's fine with me.
You made it sound like such a pursuit. The option would be released to help the members of the community out, not to draw them into corner if they wouldn't want something. That could be made by putting the Last Known As as optional adding.

Quote:
So I guess what I'm saying is that, rather than start with the solution, let's try to identify and agree on the problem, and see if everyone can live with the proposed result. Then, if there's agreement, we can see how to best implement it, which may or may not involve a modification. (Currently name changes are processed manually anyway, so it wouldn't take much additional time for the Admin to copy/paste the old name to some location if that were an agreed policy.)

(I would also note, incidentally, that name changes don't happen all that often, and I don't know that they're necessarily frequent enough for this sort of issue to be a big deal... but that's obviously my opinion.)
I do agree that I may have been a little too hasty over here.
However, I wouldn't just go out and create a thread if I wouldn't personally see it for myself, and I have saw this issue around the forums.
I thought that this could be a quick-fix of it, not so hard to execute and making it optional for usage would make it grand. It seems I was wrong. From vBulletin making it possible to personal liking and disliking, it seems that we will have to discuss this a whole lot more before anything would be changed.

I've seen this happen a lot on these forums and I do not know why but, every idea/suggestion seems to be rejected by the rest of the community with aggression. It is a rare case to actually see members express their own opinion in a normal way, and just that may result in only a few individuals to post suggestions, in the end resulting that these forums are advancing really slowly. This was not meant as an insult, just a comparing with other forums.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-05-02 at 03:36.
Old 2013-05-02, 04:40   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I've seen this happen a lot on these forums and I do not know why but, every idea/suggestion seems to be rejected by the rest of the community with aggression. It is a rare case to actually see members express their own opinion in a normal way, and just that may result in only a few individuals to post suggestions, in the end resulting that these forums are advancing really slowly. This was not meant as an insult, just a comparing with other forums.
Well, when you're a site that has been around for this many years, there's a lot of momentum in "that's the way we've always done it". There are usually reasons behind the current approach (often based on past experiences), and consequences to changing that which may not be immediately visible.

It does mean that, generally speaking, you'll need to do a bit more leg work to get an idea approved in terms of basically "selling" the benefit to a sceptical audience. If the benefits are clear and obvious and the drawbacks are few, then the idea is much more likely to be approved (even if it may take a while to implement). But if the gain is more marginal or a matter of opinion, and/or the cost/drawbacks are more significant, then it's a tougher sell. It probably also helps in that sense to be less stuck on the specifics of the solution, but be fairly convinced about the nature of the problem. If the problem is clear, and others agree, then a solution is more likely to result (even if it isn't what was immediately imagined).

Anyway, there are definitely pluses and minuses to this approach. It means that the site is more stable/consistent, but by the same time a bit less vibrant and exciting on the technology side. As a result, any time there is a change of any consequence, it is rather extensively debated and argued due to a sort of engrained resistance to change (as the people who stick around have often been here for years).

I suppose that's all neither here nor there, but that's how I see it anyway. If nothing else, it's good training for if you ever have to work in a medium-to-large company and try to exert influence on business decisions, as the process is almost exactly the same.
Old 2013-05-02, 05:36   Link #9
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, when you're a site that has been around for this many years, there's a lot of momentum in "that's the way we've always done it". There are usually reasons behind the current approach (often based on past experiences), and consequences to changing that which may not be immediately visible.
I see what you mean, but the thing is that even if a site is up for many years, new ideas come and go by the flow. This site appears to be Slow & Steady, and due to it's focus being something that others produce - anime - it is not such a draw back, more like a smart way of thinking. It would not be the same if the forums would be up for a few years and would focus on a product they give/offer.

Quote:
It does mean that, generally speaking, you'll need to do a bit more leg work to get an idea approved in terms of basically "selling" the benefit to a sceptical audience. If the benefits are clear and obvious and the drawbacks are few, then the idea is much more likely to be approved (even if it may take a while to implement). But if the gain is more marginal or a matter of opinion, and/or the cost/drawbacks are more significant, then it's a tougher sell. It probably also helps in that sense to be less stuck on the specifics of the solution, but be fairly convinced about the nature of the problem. If the problem is clear, and others agree, then a solution is more likely to result (even if it isn't what was immediately imagined).
Yeah, that's basically the common approach of Slow & Steady type of forums, which yet again, is nothing wrong in this case, I've only come to realization just now that AnimeSuki are like that.

Quote:
Anyway, there are definitely pluses and minuses to this approach. It means that the site is more stable/consistent, but by the same time a bit less vibrant and exciting on the technology side. As a result, any time there is a change of any consequence, it is rather extensively debated and argued due to a sort of engrained resistance to change (as the people who stick around have often been here for years).
The site itself does not need much upgrading because yet again, does not offer its own product. The things that are getting updated in technology are anime series, who's producers are Studios. Those need to work on the newest hip & happening.

Quote:
I suppose that's all neither here nor there, but that's how I see it anyway. If nothing else, it's good training for if you ever have to work in a medium-to-large company and try to exert influence on business decisions, as the process is almost exactly the same.
That would truly depend on what kind of product the company is trying to sell and how "greedy" it is.
For example, a gaming company that would be medium-to-large would need to release many updates, especially MMORPGs. Sleeping for a second could bury it by the competition. However, to release new content and then maintain it/run it, they would need money, so here greediness comes in action.

Keeping things short, AnimeSuki forums are meant to discuss products that others make, not AS itself. For that, it does not need to be first in technology, but it is good to be complex and easy-accessible, which it is. Slow & Steady type of forums fit fine alongside, which I have just learnt they are.
Okay then, any further suggestions you will hear from me will be a-bit-bigger ones.

Have a good day.
Old 2013-05-02, 05:46   Link #10
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It does mean that, generally speaking, you'll need to do a bit more leg work to get an idea approved in terms of basically "selling" the benefit to a sceptical audience. If the benefits are clear and obvious and the drawbacks are few, then the idea is much more likely to be approved (even if it may take a while to implement).
This kind of approach reminds me of salesmans trying to sell you stuff.

Of topic, but I am still waiting a definite Yes/No answer for my proposal.
Old 2013-05-02, 06:14   Link #11
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
This kind of approach reminds me of salesmans trying to sell you stuff.

Of topic, but I am still waiting a definite Yes/No answer for my proposal.
Thread advertising!
Nah, just kidding, I allow it.

Anyhow, if I keep on the same Quote as you did, I honestly wouldn't see any negative after-update results, only positive.
However, the work itself that would have to be put into this and how much we would gain in the end (we wouldn't gain really much) is not quite comparable, that is why I have said that I'll suggest something bigger next time, if I'll come up with something.
Old 2013-05-02, 06:18   Link #12
HasuMasu
*Artist

In hindsight, I actually don't think this is a good idea.

I myself had username change more than once, weather or not I want the other members to know who I used to be was my choice.

Unless this is something you can choose to turn on/off, I don't think it's okay.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 09:45   Link #13
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
In hindsight, I actually don't think this is a good idea.

I myself had username change more than once, weather or not I want the other members to know who I used to be was my choice.

Unless this is something you can choose to turn on/off, I don't think it's okay.
The word "Optional" means just that - you have a choice whether it will show/display or not.
Old 2013-05-02, 12:42   Link #14
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

my username is still same but i change it to all capital

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
last known as