AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2023-06-04, 08:49   Link #1
Dextro
He Without a Title

New Macross Anime Project (Anticipation and Discussion)

Looks like we have a new Macross anime being produced (by Sunrise of all studios!).

Quote:
The final day of the "SANKYO presents Walküre FINAL LIVE TOUR 2023" concerts ended on Sunday with an announcement that a new Macross animation project is launching from the anime studio Sunrise.
No further details at the moment.

Last edited by Dextro; 2023-06-05 at 07:21. Reason: Clean up the thread post split
Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-04, 08:53   Link #2
John117xCortana

Whats going on here? Why is it produced by Sunrise? Did they sell the rights to them or something?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-04, 09:14   Link #3
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Heard info that the usual studio(s) may be busy with another Aquarion project.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-04, 15:43   Link #4
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Whats going on here? Why is it produced by Sunrise? Did they sell the rights to them or something?
To be fair, the Macross series had been produced by a number of different studios over its long history.

Studio Tatsunoko, AIC, Triangle Staff, Ashi and finally Satelight all had their hands in producing something Macross. So having Sunrise isn't that surprising. It's actually pretty positive news to my ears if you ask me.

Hell, I wish Sunrise produced Macross back in the day, because at least it would retain the kind of creative independence that is Gundam, and not be marred by that ugly mess of a lawsuit involving that disgusting daylight robbery organization known to all of us as Harmony Gold.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2023-06-04 at 16:38.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-05, 00:40   Link #5
magnuskn

Please have a female pilot be the MC. And have her be Zentradi!
Old 2023-06-05, 03:11   Link #6
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I would have joked about GL Macross but it won't happen. There are more chances for another rock band in there (still almost zero).
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-05, 08:48   Link #7
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I think that somebody wants to know first is that if it's gonna be licensed considering what happened to previous Macross
Old 2023-06-05, 08:48   Link #8
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I would have joked about GL Macross but it won't happen. There are more chances for another rock band in there (still almost zero).
Yuri love triangles just aren't that good in my experience. Plus Symphogear already exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I think that somebody wants to know first is that if it's gonna be licensed considering what happened to previous Macross
The Harmony Gold thing got resolved a while ago, I'm almost positive it'll end up on Crunchyroll with Sony's involvement in the deal.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-05, 09:05   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Btw, who actually owns the general Macross IP at this moment?

We all know that Gundam IP is owned by Bandai but who owns Macross and decides the studio to make anime out of it?
Old 2023-06-05, 09:32   Link #10
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

We all know that Gundam IP is owned by Bandai but who owns Macross and decides the studio to make anime out of it?
I think it might be Big West no?
Old 2023-06-05, 09:51   Link #11
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think it might be Big West no?
Seems like it.

Frontier, Delta advertisements and overall Macross appearance in SRW listed Big West as it rights owner.

Looking back at Delta launch, the system seems to be Big West decided on new Macross theme and it product distribution then decided which studio accordingly.
I'm guessing they chose Sunrise because the studio is, currently, the most competent studio to penetrate international market from start; felt like they can just settle with any studio if there's no such goal in mind.
Old 2023-06-05, 09:58   Link #12
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Its absolutely Big West, but they've stuck with Satelight for 20 years because of Kawamori's role within the company.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-05, 12:55   Link #13
Tak

Who is directing is important, since this is Sunrise, after all. Macross tend to have a significantly more positive view on humanity than Gundam, and that's partially what sets the former apart from the latter.

Also, the soundtrack. I've long hoped for Hiroyuki Sawano to do a Macross soundtrack, but we'll see about that one.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2023-06-08, 00:27   Link #14
John117xCortana

Macross is different compared to what Sawano is usually known for.
Old 2023-06-08, 10:20   Link #15
Tak

He does some amazing battle themes, though.

- Tak

Old 2023-06-09, 07:12   Link #16
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
He does some amazing battle themes, though.

- Tak
His battle themes are awesome, I'm not denying that. Some of my favorites were made by him. Especially the ones he did with Gundam Unicorn.

The thing is....the tone he normally uses for his themes don't really fit with Macross.
Old 2023-06-09, 10:23   Link #17
Tak

Or they can always bring Yoko back.

- Tak

Old 2023-06-09, 13:05   Link #18
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Or they can always bring Yoko back.
Oh, my stars and garters...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-09, 14:08   Link #19
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I wish Sunrise produced Macross back in the day, because at least it would retain the kind of creative independence that is Gundam, and not be marred by that ugly mess of a lawsuit involving that disgusting daylight robbery organization known to all of us as Harmony Gold.
Getting animated by Sunrise isn't gonna solve Macross' main problem, executive meddling. I remember from an interview with Kawamori, he commented how the right holders and sponsors make a lot of creative demands.

Some people shit on Kawamori when things go wrong (like in Delta) but I'd say most of the time shit happens because the sponsors don't let him do things his way.
Old 2023-06-09, 15:44   Link #20
Tak

Yeah, executive meddling will exist regardless of production company chosen to helm a project. Though this is also a case of picking a lesser evil. When SDF Macross was in production, poor Kawamori had to contend with three different studios to finish the gig, whereas the original Mobile Suit Gundam only ever had to deal with one.

- Tak