AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-14, 15:44   Link #61
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
...3. The qualities most often associated with "moe" involve innocence, purity and vulnerability, etc. intertwined (sometimes subtly sometimes blatantly) with sexual attraction towards the person. Children are almost never "moe", but rather "kawaii". However, when puberty begins to affect them and they become aware of their bodily and emotional growth they begin to behave in such ways as could be qualified as "moe"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
...While I can certain find all these qualities in various moe characters, I wouldn’t say I strongly associate those traits with moe.

However, I would say that all moe characters share one thing in common: moe girls bloom. Heck, can’t the word moe itself be read as budding?...
I have been thinking about this definition of moe girls "blooming" off and on now for a few weeks, and the only problem I have come up with is that it does not really "define" anything, although on another level I can see where you are coming from. (Not sure if this makes sense.) On one level it may make sense to those who have been exposed to the genre of moe in general.

A wiki page says this:

Quote:
It means "a rarefied pseudo-love for certain fictional characters (in anime, manga, and the like) and their related embodiments." Patrick W. Galbraith notes that it is a pun derived from a Japanese word that literally means "budding," as with a plant that is about to flower, and thus it can also be used to mean "budding" as with a preadolescent girl....The word has come to be used to mean one particular kind of "adorable", one specific type of "cute", mainly as applied to fictional characters.
There is a little more detail on the wiki page as well....

While using the reference of "budding" is fine, it strikes me as more of a poetic outline or sketch rather than a definition. The difficulty comes in definitions....
Old 2011-07-14, 21:09   Link #62
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
While using the reference of "budding" is fine, it strikes me as more of a poetic outline or sketch rather than a definition. The difficulty comes in definitions....
Well, it is an emotion, so that's to be expected. You'd have the same difficulty in defining "love" or "beauty."
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote