AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-28, 08:48   Link #61
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Reading opinion i'll give Cosette a chance since there's nothing else to see anyway

I have a little problem with the title though.

le portrait de petit cosette?
it's not supposed to be " le portrait de petite cosette? she's a girl right? so petite is for a girl and petit for a boy! They should not make mistake like that espacially if it's something that every one will watch. SVP pas de français si vous ne savez pas l'écrire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

french is my language so i know what i'm talking about. Saikano did some unforgivable errors with the french sentences in the opening( le "on est heureuse" m'a tué). In maria-sama ga miteru, in the title of one episode they did a mystake too, but since it was only a one time thing it's okay.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 09:40   Link #62
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Reading opinion i'll give Cosette a chance since there's nothing else to see anyway

it's not supposed to be " le portrait de petite cosette? she's a girl right? so petite is for a girl and petit for a boy! They should not make mistake like that espacially if it's something that every one will watch. SVP pas de français si vous ne savez pas l'écrire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure that this point has already been brought up before, if you follow Anime and Manga you should already know of the number of errors in the use of English which occur (often dubbed as "Engrish").
So it may be annoying to you but is understandable when you consider that neither French nor English are the creators native language.

I also believe that your statement that they should not have made the error especially since its something that "everyone" will watch comes across as sounding slightly arrogant. Remember most Anime and Manga is made for domestic use (ie for the Japanese), employing a translation team to ensure the accuracy of every foreign word or phrase would only serve to push up the production costs for little (perceived) benefit.

Only in recent years (as the general popularity of Anime and Manga has increased)has the international market started to factor into the production of new shows and we can hope that with this the considerations of any international audiences will be taken into account with the use of any content containing non native (Japanese) text or conversation.

Quote:
french is my language so i know what i'm talking about. Saikano did some unforgivable errors with the french sentences in the opening( le "on est heureuse" m'a tué). In maria-sama ga miteru, in the title of one episode they did a mystake too, but since it was only a one time thing it's okay.
Remember they are trying at least, and it makes a nice change to see some other languages and cultures cropping up in Animes rather than the foreigner always being English or American (even if it means more subtitles for those of us who only speak one language).

Additionally for your information you made 8 spelling, or grammatical errors in your above post, none of them however were serious enough to obstruct the meaning of what you wanted to convey though. Rather like the fact that I can still understand the English translation of the title should be something like
"The portrait of little Cosette" whichever way it is written, correctly or incorrectly .
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 17:38   Link #63
LinChoiSin

Quote:

french may be your language but obviously you're not french because "le portrait de petite cosette" would still be a strange title , maybe people from belgium or switzerland speak like that.i also think it would be better for authors to be more careful when they use foreign languages but it's not that important after all.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 19:43   Link #64
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I'm not from France but Québec and we talk french there. The tittle is not that strange petite cossette may be the nickname of Cossette.

Maybe the quality of french used is not that important but i still care. I would like to know where were my errors because i need to practice my english (writting). I'm writting with a very cheap english/french dictionary to help me but it helps only with the spelling not with the verbs or the form of the sentences.

i just finished watching "le portrait de petite Cossette" and i'm asking myself: hein?. Did my brain work or not? I understand that she's taking revenge and that she was killed by the guy who did her portrait (i think) and decided to take revenge on people who don't respect antics or something. If someone understand something... please tell. i think i'll rewatch anyway. this was way much for me, all that blood. is she using black magic?

THE MUSIC IS TO GOOD TOO BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!
KAJIURA
Old 2004-05-01, 19:00   Link #65
the_marshal

I did not understand more than you ! Maybe there are some more subtle things to understand but the basic idea seem rather simple...
What interested me the most is how it was done.... i mean the music and the animation did work to create the atmoshpere needed for the show...

It is really some dark and gothic show I don't saw often and I find it quite enjoyable... will keep watching until the end (there are only 3oav anyway...)

Whith monster it is the only dark or even special show I did see this season...
the_marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 06:57   Link #66
zepher

Best anime of the season, hands down, no contest.

Pacing, atmosphere, design, composition, layout, art direction, music, everything just screams class.
Ofcourse, i wouldnt expect anything less from the director of Soul Taker, another amazing anime.

I'm getting this on dvd.
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 23:50   Link #67
darkwave
Manual Mode

The dvd version of New Life Anime is the shit! Nice sub. >_<
If your watching the TV version quality, then you are missing out.
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 04:07   Link #68
TronDD
Team the box!

I've downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. I already watched the TV version half a dozen times or so. I was waiting for the DVD version so I could watch it again. Now I just need the time.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 18:45   Link #69
Breogan
Umeboshi

Quote:
i just finished watching "le portrait de petite Cossette" and i'm asking myself: hein?. Did my brain work or not? I understand that she's taking revenge and that she was killed by the guy who did her portrait (i think) and decided to take revenge on people who don't respect antics or something. If someone understand something... please tell. i think i'll rewatch anyway. this was way much for me, all that blood. is she using black magic?
Spoiler:

We'll see more about the plot in July, which supposedly is when the 2nd DVD will be released.
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 08:27   Link #70
Tsubomi Koneko

Send a message via AIM to Tsubomi Koneko Send a message via MSN to Tsubomi Koneko
Er... interesting show.

A little confusing until the babble during the last bit... then all the blood and such made some sense.

I love the music too. Anyone know anything about when a single of the ending song is scheduled for release? *Karaoke freak.*

And uh... TV version... DVD version... there was only one download on the page I got it from so... huh?

:EDIT Eh forget it, I found the info about the single on CD Japan. Geez have to wait until August! Here's the link if anyone else wants to pre-order the single or otherwise.

CDJapan - Hoseki - Le Portrait de Petite Cossette Main Theme Single
Tsubomi Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 08:37   Link #71
towel_guy

boy, i do love confusing stuff
finally that lain-feeling again

and ist yet another instance of the disturbing-color-syndrome i got to observe in a lot of recent animes
i mean do you ever see these kinds of colors in everyday life ? don't they hurt the eye before one gets used to it ?
just wondering how the makers came to their palette, and why more and more animes are becoming like this
not that its bad - just strange
towel_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 21:44   Link #72
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

The wait is over, Ep 2 is out. Can't wait to see what happens.

Art and mood are brilliant.... can't really think of anything else to say

They tell you straight up what's going on mostly, which kind of took away some of the fun..

Mataki seems to try to get more involved than she should

Last edited by Melty Snow; 2004-07-23 at 11:21.
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:15   Link #73
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by towel_guy

and ist yet another instance of the disturbing-color-syndrome i got to observe in a lot of recent animes
i mean do you ever see these kinds of colors in everyday life ? don't they hurt the eye before one gets used to it ?
just wondering how the makers came to their palette, and why more and more animes are becoming like this
not that its bad - just strange
Maybe because it suits the atmosphere of the show. Or they want to make it more realist. Anime that look more realist (or the producer want it to look that way) tends to use this kind of palette.
Old 2004-07-23, 11:51   Link #74
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

wow, episode 2, just great. If the first episode is a love story with some horror elements, the second episode is a pure wonderful love story... with some supernatural battle mixed in I guess...

Loligoth and Kajiura Yuki's music, what more can you ask?

Spoiler for cuuuuuute loligoth screens ;):
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 14:15   Link #75
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Just a question. How old is Cossette? She looks like 12 year old to me, but i can be wrong.

loligoth? what does it means?
loli from lolita?
Old 2004-07-23, 14:45   Link #76
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Yea, probably 11-14, underdeveloped for a European and
Spoiler:

Loligoth = gothic lolita i think
Lolita from Cossette being jailbait.
Gothic from the dark style?
Gothic lolita was graffiti on a wall in the first ep too.

Cossette naked fan service was nice, and a tad bit scary
Old 2004-07-23, 14:51   Link #77
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
Spoiler:

Loligoth = gothic lolita i think
Lolita from Cossette being jailbait.
Gothic from the dark style?
Gothic lolita was graffiti on a wall in the first ep too.

Cossette naked fan service was nice, and a tad bit scary
lol, now you mention it, there's even tentacles...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 15:09   Link #78
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

and guro(death)... if anyone's interested in that

There's way too much Eiri s&m and bondage if you ask me though.
Old 2004-07-23, 21:49   Link #79
spudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by spudman; 2004-07-23 at 23:41.
spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 22:44   Link #80
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Spoiler: